Badges issued by TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “A”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
A.B.C. COACH LINE, INC. / A.B.C. COACH LINE A November 1, 1928, newspaper article from Indianapolis, Indiana, notes the sale of “certificate of convenience” from King Brothers Transportation Company to Willard Wooding, representing A.B.C. Coach Line. The bus line was between Fort Wayne and Richmond, Indiana. Apparently A.B.C. Coach Line was already running by that date. By 1946 A.B.C. Coach Line had succeeded A.B.C. Coach Line, Inc. That year the company was located at 830 Lafayette St. Ft. Wayne, Indiana, and J.E. Wooding was the manager. The intercity company ran 27 buses over 369 route miles and served Richmond, Muncie, Ft. Wayne, South Bend, Indianapolis, Noblesville and Elwood, Indiana.
A. B. & W. TRANSIT COMPANY See ALEXANDRIA, BARCROFT & WASHINGTON TRANSIT COMPANY.
A. & C. BUS LINES, INC. was operating in the mid 1940s out of Charlotte, North Carolina, and served Mecklenburg County.
A.R.G. BUS COMPANY On November 24, 1917 the Railroad Commission granted A.R.G. Bus Company permission to operate a passenger bus service between San Diego, California, and Camp Kearny. The buses were three White trucks, having a seating capacity of eleven passengers. Eventually the company was operating between Los Angeles and San Diego, California, over a regular route passing through the cities of Anaheim, Orange and Santa Ana. The company was owned and operated by E. S. Goode. By 1918 the company was operating a fleet of twenty-six buses. The June 8, 1918, edition of the Santa Ana Register from Santa Ana, California, gives some insight into the company: “It is the intention of our company to greatly increase our present equipment and we have placed an order with the Moreland Motor Truck Company for a new line of buses. These buses will be built along entirely new lines for this country, as the Moreland Company has secured Belgian patents. These buses will be a special front wheel drive. They will be fitted with ports, windows, and will have deep and luxurious upholstering.” The next chapter of the company’s history is found in a Railroad Commission report: “On January 24, 1920, it sold and transferred its business and operative rights to petitioner Oliver R. Fuller, who subsequently, on November 27, 1920, with the approval of the Railroad Commission, sold the business and rights so acquired to Motor Transit Company.” (That is to say, Fuller sold the company to himself, as he owned Motor Transit Company.) That same year Pacific Electric bought a two-thirds interest in the Motor Transit Company, the other third being bought out by The Greyhound Corporation. In 1936 Pacific Electric bought out Greyhound’s interest, and merged the Motor Transit Company Lines into other operations.
A. T. M. BUS LINES operated out of Montgomery, Alabama, in the early 1940s and the 1950s. In 1946 the company ran 5 buses over 110 route miles with John Paul Crashul (1905-1969) the president and owner. The line ran between Montgomery, Troy and Abbeville, Alabama.
ABERDEEN MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY (Note: The Atwood-Coffee Catalog lists this company as Motor Transit Company. Various local South Dakota histories give the name as Aberdeen Motor Transit Company.) In June 1909 Aberdeen Railway Company, Inc. was incorporated in Aberdeen, South Dakota. Former South Dakota Governor Charles Herried, one of the original eight investors, served as company president. The first streetcars rolled into service in 1910. However, the company was never profitable, and Charles Howard, another original investor, purchased the company and formed the Aberdeen Railroad Company. The nation-wide post-war economic depression in 1921 spelled the end of the company. In May 1922 the stockholders voted to dissolve the company and dispose of company assets by September 1. About midnight on July 31, 1922, the last streetcar pulled into the “car barn”. A proposal to have the city take over and operate the line was defeated at the polls in October, and that was the end of Aberdeen’s streetcars. Aberdeen Motor Transit Company began the operation of buses on the streets of Aberdeen, S. D., on Feb. 26, 1923, the same day upon which the last of the abandoned streetcar equipment was sold. Three twenty-passenger auto buses, equipped with White chassis and Brown bodies, constitute the company’s rolling stock. As to the company’s demise, there is nothing on that on the Internet. In the 1930s-1940s Aberdeen Bus Service, owned by V. Heathman, was running; this company was succeeded by Hyde Hub City Lines, which was owned by D.B. Hyde, who also owned Rapid Traction Company in Rapid City, South Dakota. In 1946 Hyde was operating 8 buses over 8 route miles. (At some point by the early 1950s the company name was changed to Hyde City Bus Company and was running 3 buses over 10 route miles.)
ABILENE-VIEW BUS LINES No information on the bus company, but Camp Barkeley was a large United States Army training installation during World War II. The base was located eleven miles southwest of Abilene, Texas, near what is now Dyess Air Force Base. The badge is a single threaded post. No markings on back. 2 ½ x 2″.
ACADEMY BUS LINES, INC. In 1968 Academy Bus, Inc. was incorporated in New Jersey by Frank A. Tedesco. In 1969 Academy Bus Lines, Inc. was formed with the purchase of the New York-Keansburg, Long Branch Bus Company and its ICC Certificate. In 1989 Academy Bus Lines, Inc. acquired Asbury Park-New York Transit Corporation, adopting the subsidiary name Asbury Park Transit Lines, Inc. About this time the company aquired the Ricci Bus Company. In 1999 Academy Lines, Inc. filed an application for the acquisition by merger of its affiliate, Asbury Park Transit Lines, Inc. Asbury Park Transit Lines, Inc. was absorbed by its parent. Today the company provides local bus services in northern New Jersey, line-run services to/from New York City from points in southern and central New Jersey, and contract and charter service in the eastern United States from Boston to Miami. In 2014, Academy acquired Go Buses, which currently operates bus service between Boston and Washington, D.C. and in southern Florida. Academy Bus Lines, Inc. is currently the third-largest motorcoach operator in the United States and Canada, and the largest privately-owned bus company in the US.
ADAMS TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. In July 1923 a newspaper account reported that the company “has bought the Walter Melhorn bus route extending from York to Gettysburg and will take over the business just as soon as the proper arrangements can be made and the public service commission grants the transfer.” In November 1923 the company was granted a charter by the State of Pennsylvania to operate a bus line in York and Adams Counties. It had a capital stock of $35,000. The incorporators were William P. Baker, Walter Melhorn and John V. Grimm. The company was headquartered in East Berlin. In July In March 1924 the schedule for the company was Gettysburg, New Oxford and York, Pennsylvania. On November 25, 1925, the company began operating buses between Chambersburg and Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. On August 18, 1925, the company bought the franchise and equipment of the Gettysburg-Caledonia Bus Line from owners John Hamilton and C. G. Taughinbaugh.
In June 1926 an application was filed with the State of Pennsylvania to operate a route from York to “other points in the State.” The certificate was granted. In April 1928 the company applied for a renewed certificate to operate from the City of York and the Boroughs of Hanover, Longansville and Shrewsbury, York County; and the Boroughs of Abbotstown, East Berlin, New Oxford, York Springs and Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania. J. M. Danner was the general manager.
The 1946 MTD list the company headquarters in York with 15 buses running over 165 route miles. The president was C. E. Mommert and the general manager was M. Stuart Danner. In September 1947 the company ceased operating due to “financial difficulties” and began liquidating its business. Most of its routes were sold to Capital Bus Company of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The badge shown below, which is still mounted to an original company hat, is a standard sized example made of nickel plated brass with enameled paint. It has two threaded mounting posts.
ADDISON AUTO BUS COMPANY, INC. was formed in 1916 in New York: May 18, 1916, Addison Auto-Bus Company, Inc. applied for a certificate of convenience from the New York State Public Service Commission to operate a stage line “by auto busses in the city of Corning, to be operated between Corning and the incorporated village of Addison.” The consent of City of Corning was granted on April 10, 1916. The company was not allowed to carry passengers within the city of Addison nor Corning. The company was operating into the 1920s. Its president was C.A. Brewster.
ADER COACH LINES / GEORGIA STAGES, INC. / GEORGIA TRAILWAYS Ader Coach Lines was founded by Sidney H. Ader in the early 1930s in Albany, Georgia, and ran a route along U.S. Highway 19 between Griffin and Thomasville, Georgia, via Albany and Americus. In 1936 he incorporated and changed the name to Georgia Stages, Inc.
More history is given in this notice dated October 15, 1936: “TWO MOTOR LINES BOUGHT FOR $90,000 Approval of Purchase by Georgia Stages, Inc., To Be Asked of I. C. .C. W. F Arrington, regional manager of the Union Bus Company, said yesterday the Ader Coach Lines and Drake Motor Lines were purchased by a company known as Georgia Stages, Inc. for $90,000. The new company is in process of formation, he said. The purchase will be presented to the Interstate Commerce Commission shortly for approval. The Ader and Drake lines operate in south and west Georgia, carrying passengers and light express.”
More history is found in a Florida Railroad Commission record: “1. Pursuant to Notice No. 533 dated November 30, 1936 this matter came on for formal hearing before the Railroad Commission of the State of Florida at its Hearing Room, Supreme Court Building, Tallahassee, Florida, on December 15, 1936. 2. The joint petition of S. H. Ader, operating as Ader Coach Lines, and of Georgia Stages, Inc., a Georgia corporation holding a charter issued by the Superior Court of Dougherty County, Georgia, and holding a Permit from the Secretary of State to do business in the State of Florida, shows that S. H. Ader, operating as Ader Coach Lines, purchased Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity No. 94 from Bainbridge Columbus Motor Lines authorizing operation of busses between Tallahassee, Florida, and the Georgia-Florida State line via Havana, Florida and that such purchase was approved by Order No. 858 of this Commission dated the 24th day of April 1936; that S. H. Ader has organized the Georgia Stages, Inc., a Georgia corporation with a capital stock of $90,000.00 for the purpose of taking over and operating Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity No. 194; that a certified copy of a meeting of the directors of Georgia Stages, Inc., held on November 2, 1936 in Albany, Georgia, shows that S. H. Ader was elected President of the company . . . APPROVED, DONE AND ORDERED by the Railroad Commission of the State of Florida, in session at its office in the City of Tallahassee. Florida, this 8th day of January 1937.”
In 1938 Georgia Stages, Inc. joined National Trailways Bus System under the name Georgia Trailways. The following year the company bought out Coleman Motor Lines, and its owner, R. S. Coleman, became Georgia Stages, Inc.’s traffic manager. In 1944 Georgia Stages, Inc. bought out St. Andrews Bay Transportation Company, which was also a member of the National Trailways Bus System. (The company was headquartered in Dothan, Alabama and was a subsidiary of the Atlanta & St. Andrews Bay Railway, which was known as the “Bay Line”; prior to being sold, the company had just bought out Lee’s Coach Line, which ran in Florida from Tallahassee to Panama City.)
Jon Hobijn writes: “In 1946, Georgia Stages President Fred Mills changed the company name to Modern Coach Corporation, and from then on the company was known as Modern Trailways. . . . Modern Coach Corp. was acquired by Tamiami Trail Tours in 1956, extending Tamiami’s system main line to 825 miles stretching from Atlanta to Miami.” In 1946 Modern Coach Corporation ran 70 buses over 1746 route miles.
ADIRONDACK TRANSIT LINES, INC. / ADIRONDACK TRANSIT COMPANY ADIRONDACK TRAILWAYS In researching this company in early records, one finds both Adirondack Transit Lines, Inc. and Adirondack Transit Company. In early records they seem to be one and the same company. (There is a later company named Adirondack Transit Company, which we’ll mention later.) Adirondack Transit Lines, Inc. was running in the early 1930s as an intercity company in New York. In 1936 the company joined the National Trailways System as Adirondack Trailways and, in 1939, was running the following routes: New York-Kingston-Albany-Saratoga Springs-Glen Falls-Lake George-Schroon Lake-Lake Placid-Saranac Lake. In recent times it operated between New York-Kingston-Albany-Glens Falls-Montreal, Babylon-Kingston, Newburgh-Kingston, Kingston-Saugerties-Oneonta, Binghamton-Oneonta-Albany, Albany-Utica-Syracuse, Albany-Gloversville, Glens Falls-Warrensburg-Massena, and Syracuse-Canton-Massena.
On June 4, 1937, the company received a “grandfather” certificate for its operations over routes from New York City to Weehawken, N. J. and thence to Kingston, Saugerties, Saranac Lake and Massena, N. Y. Until the opening of the Lincoln Tunnel in December 1937 the company used the ferry from Weehawken to cross the Hudson River. After the tunnel was opened it used that route in the belief that its grandfather certificate authorized such use. This brought about a suit in federal court. The company is mentioned in newspaper accounts in the 1940s. In the November 28, 1952, edition of the Times Record from Troy, New York we find this: “Transfer Hearing is scheduled by the State Public Service Commission Monday at 10 a.m, in Albany on a petition for transfer of a certificate of convenience and necessity for bus operation in the Glens Falls area from the Hudson Transportation Co., Inc., to the Adirondack Transit Lines, Inc. The first named corporation now operates buses from Glens Falls, Hudson Falls, Fort Edward, Saratoga Springs and South Glens Falls. An associated petition on which a hearing will be held relates to the application of the L.B.K. Lines, Inc., and the Hudson Transportation Lines, Inc. A third petition is made by the Hudson Transportation Co., Inc., for consent to lease a garage to the Adirondack Transit Lines, Inc.” Despite the above, in 1954 the Hudson Transportation Company was listed in the MTD as an intercity line serving Glens Falls, Hudson Falls, Wilton, Saratoga Springs, Schenectady and Albany, New York running 29 buses over 68 route miles.
Interesting enough, in the 1956 edition of the MTD Adirondack Transit Company was listed as an intercity company located in Glens Falls. That company was not listed in the 1952 or 1954 editions of MTD. However, in all those editions Adirondack Transit Lines is listed as headquartered in Kingston, New York. Adirondack Trailways is still in operation.
AETNA & POPE STAGE LINE was running in 1924 out of St. Helena, California; it was owned by W.B. Twitchell.
AFFILIATED BUS TRANSIT CORPORATION was a bus operator in the borough of Queens in New York City. It operated the Q38 bus route before it was taken over by Triboro Coach Corporation.
AIR BASE – PANTEX BUS LINE Info from Wikipedia: The Pantex Plant is the primary United States nuclear weapons assembly and disassembly facility that aims to maintain the safety, security and reliability of the nation’s nuclear weapons stockpile. The facility is located on a 16,000 acre site 17 miles northeast of Amarillo, Texas. The Pantex Ordnance Plant was authorized February 24, 1942 and construction was completed on November 15, 1942 and workers from all over the U.S. flocked to Amarillo for jobs. The Air Base – Pantex Bus Line transported workers from the Amarillo Air Force Base to the Pantex Plant.
The following history was supplied by eBay member funky-retro-monkey: “PANTEX” is a plant that produces nuclear weapons. It is located near the small town of Panhandle, Texas. The Pantex Plant is also just 17 miles from Amarillo, TX. Between 1942 and 1968, Amarillo was home to the Amarillo Air Force Base. I “ASSUME” this badge is from a shuttle bus that took military personnel and Pantex employees back & forth from the base and plant. I could not find another example of this badge, or even mention of this bus line ANYWHERE online. I would “GUESS” that there were only one or two buses providing this service, and that VERY FEW of these badges were ever made. (It MAY be the only surviving example!) Note the employee number: “1”. . . Here are a few facts I found: The “Amarillo Army Air Corps Field” opened in 1942, the same year that the Pantex Plant opened. At THAT time, Pantex produced conventional bombs for World War II. After WWII, (in 1946) the base and plant were both closed. Then, in 1951, the base was reactivated – this time as “Amarillo Air Force Base”. The Pantex plant was also reopened in 1951- only at THIS time, they began producing nuclear weapons. While the Pantex Plant continues to be the nation’s primary nuclear weapons assembly facility – Amarillo A.F.B. has been closed for some 40 years now. This badge was made between 1942 and 1968.
The badge is very rare; it has two threaded posts and is made of plated and enameled metal.
AIR LINE BUS & TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was a passenger and freight transportation bus line running from Deertrail, Colorado, to the “point of intersection of the Air Line Road with the state line between Kansas and Colorado.” It operated for only 13 months, from March 25, 1927 to April 7, 1928.
AIR LINE COACHES This company was operating to Dayton, Rockwood, Harriman and Kingston, Tennessee in 1930. It lasted until July 20, 1934, when Cherokee Motor Coach Company leased the one of its routes. Also on that date the company’s certificate of operation was turned over to Frank S. Wingate, who assumed the existing operations. (Wingate owned Chattanooga Dayton Bus Line.)
AIRLINE MOTOR COACHES COMPANY, INC. / AIRLINE MOTOR TRAILWAYS The history of this company is a bit tangled, but essentially it goes back to Nacogdoches, Texas, in 1924 and a former school teacher named C. D. Thomas, Sr. Beginning with a Model “T” Ford running between Corrigan and Lufkin, Thomas steadily expanded his business through a series of mergers and acquisitions with other local operators. One of those mergers included George W. Hyde, who began operating his own jitney venture in 1921. Like Thomas, Hyde also bought and sold bus routes to expand his business. How, why and when Thomas and Hyde connected is not recorded, but the result was Airline Motor Coach Company. According to one source, Airline Motor Coach Company was incorporated in 1930. The November 8, 1936 edition of the Galveston Daily News, from Galveston, Texas, makes it clear Hyde was in control of Airline Motor Coach in the early 1930s, when it was announced that Hyde was involved in the purchase of Coastal Coaches, Inc.: “Mr. Hyde, new president of the company, was formerly president and general manager of Airline Motor Coaches, which maintains service in East Texas between Houston and Shreveport, between Nacogdoches, Henderson and Shreveport and between Henderson and Tyler. He still has an interest in that company.” As noted, in the 1930s the company operated throughout East Texas. “One of the selling points for bus companies from the very beginning was that they offered service to places not covered by the passenger rail network. During [World War II], this fact, combined with the rationing of raw materials like oil and rubber, made busses the only viable means of public transportation for much of the region. In 1945, the [the company] employed over 150 people and operated busses from Houston, Texas to Shreveport, Louisiana.” In January 1942 the company bought Carroll’s Bus Line, owned by A. J. Carroll. In the 1940s the company joined Trailways as Airline Motor Trailways. In December of 1945 the Airline Motor Coaches entered into a special arrangement with Dixie-Sunshine Trailways to offer through bus service to Dallas and Beaumont. In 1946 the company operated 70 buses over 1137 route miles with C. D. Thomas as president and general manager, and George W. Hyde secretary-treasurer. That same year the company was sold for $1.5 million to Dixie Sunshine Trailways. In 1948 Dixie Sunshine Trailways was sold to Transcontinental Bus System / Continental Trailways.
AIRWAY MOTOR COACH In 1938 Airway Motor Coach Lines started business in Salt Lake City, Utah. The following year the company established service to Murray, Midvale and Sandy. In July 1944 Salt Lake City Lines, a subsidiary of Pacific City Lines, took over all streetcar and bus service in Salt Lake City. Airway Motor Coach Lines was purchased and merged into SLCL on March 1, 1946. The badge is die pressed, has one threaded post and one pin post, and measures 1 ⅞” x 2 ¾”.
AKRON TRANSPORTATION COMPANY In 1930 Akron Transportation Company succeeded Northern Ohio Power and Light Company providing public transport in Akron, Ohio. In 1969 Akron Metropolitan Regional Transit Authority (METRO) took over public transport.
ALABAMA COACH COMPANY, INC. was headquartered at Montevallo, Alabama, with brothers J. H. Brown serving as president and W. W. Brown as general manager. In 1937 the company petitioned the Public Service Commission to extend its Sylacauga-Centerville-Tuscaloosa route to include service between Centerville and Montgomery via Maplesville, Billingsley and Pratville. In 1954, the company was running 14 buses over 636 route miles and served Birmingham, Selma, Montevallo, Tuscaloosa, Gadsden, Sylacauga and Marvel, Alabama.
ALABAMA POWER COMPANY In 1924 the company had become a subsidiary of Southeastern Power & Light Company; from 1929 it was a subsidiary of Commonwealth and Southern Corporation. The company ran streetcars in Anniston, Alabama, beginning in 1913 (succeeding Anniston Electric & Gas Company). In 1932 the company discontinued streetcar service and Crescent Motors, Inc. took over their routes with buses. The company ran streetcars from 1919 until 1934 in Gadsden, Alabama. (Gadsden’s streetcars were discontinued in 1934 and Crescent Motors, Inc. took over with bus service.) From 1913 until 1928 the company ran streetcars in Huntsville, Alabama (succeeding the Huntsville Chattanooga & Birmingham Interurban Railway Light & Power Company), and, beginning in 1928-29, operated buses; in 1939 the service was taken over by Crescent Motors, Inc. In 1923 the company took over streetcar operations from Montgomery Light & Traction Company in Montgomery, Alabama; this service was discontinued in 1936 and the routes were sold to the infamous National City Lines, which abandoned streetcar service. In 1923 the company began operating streetcars in Tuscaloosa, Alabama (succeeding Tuscaloosa Railway & Utilities Company). They discontinued streetcar service in 1941 and sold out in 1947 to Druid City Transit. In 1946 Alabama Power Company is listed in the MTD operating local bus service in Birmingham, Northport and Holt, Alabama with 29 buses over 52 route miles. The badge below measures 1½” and is made of nickel and celluloid; it has a pin back and is marked “HEEREN BROS. CO. W.C. PATENTED PITTSBURG, PA”.
ALAGA COACH LINES, INC. This company has its origins in 1916 when E. C. Cumbie began transporting passengers from Dothan to Eufaula, Alabama, in a five-passenger Model-T Ford. He called the company the Dothan-Eufaula Bus Line. The next year John H. Burswell bought out the company selling it one year later. The company changed hands several more times, with Grady Wise, who expanded service with a ten-passenger REO bus, W. A. Caton, A. W. Lee and O. L. Harrison each taking their turn as owners. In 1930 Elizabeth “Bessie” Bennett Andress (1884-1946) bought the nearly bankrupt company from O. L. Harrison. (Andress’ husband, William Lee Andress, owner of W. L . Andress Motor Company, died from injuries in an auto accident on February 22, 1929, at age 45.) With the sale came two seven-passenger Buick automobiles, one 15-passenger Studebaker, one 15-passenger Buick Flexible and the right to transport passeners. On June 3, 1930, Alaga Couch Lines was incorporated, with headquartered in Dothan, Alabama. Mrs. Andress, the principal stockholder, renamed the company Alaga Coach Lines, Inc. due to the fact that it was running routes in both Alabama and Georgia. The company was owned by Elizabeth “Bessie” Bennett Andress, and her children William Dozier Andress, Elizabeth Andreas Trawick and Dorothy Andress Dawkins. William D. Andress served as vice president and general manager.) In 1930, with partner and fellow bus line owners R. E. Coleman and A. W. Lee, Andress opened Dothan’s first bus station.
In 1953 a Dothan newspaper reporter wrote a tribute to Bessie Andress and quoted her own words about the beginning of her public transit journey: “After acquiring the physical properties, together with the transfer of the franchise, I made a thorough investigation and survey of what I had acquired. I travelled the route from Do than to Columbus along the roads covered by the franchise. This was in the early part of 1930. I found the roads, commencing at the city limits of Dothan, over the entire route to the city limits of Columbus, Ga., completely unimproved and not any part with hard surface of pavement. . . . In wet weather it was mud in dry weather it was dust. Many, many times—too many to recall—the roads were impassable to such a condition that equipment could not make schedules and frequently broke down on the roads. While I had buses to spend the night on the road, I continuously labored to make schedules and to render the service under my certificate. . . . It was not until about 1935 that some improvement to the road started. From then on until the latter part of 1940 or the first part of 1941 there were stretches of the road paved at infrequent intervals the first stretch being from Do than to Headland, a distance of about 10 miles, and the last stretch from Eufaula to Seale, Ala., a distance of about 25 miles. . . . During the time that this improvement was going on, our equipment had to make detours over roads that amounted to nothing, causing tremendous damage to equipment and failures in schedules.” Under Andress’ ownership, Alaga Coach Lines also bought out St. Andrews Bay Transportation Company, which was a subsidiary of the Bay Line Railroad. In 1941 the company bought the operating rights of the West Florida Transportation Company, which gave it routes in Florida. By 1943 it was operating 18 buses in a tri-state area. Some of the Alabama towns served were Slocomb, Hartford, Geneva, Samson, Opp, Andalusia and Brewton. In Georgia, Blakely, Arlington and Leary were served. In Florida it served Panama City, Graceville, Chipley, Wausau and Lynn Haven. By 1943 the company employed 87 persons.
Elizabeth “Bessie” Bennett Andress died in 1946. In 1949 Alaga Couch Lines, Inc. was bought out by Southeastern Greyhound Lines, although the company continued operating under its own name until 1950 when it was finally merged into Southeastern Greyhound.
ALAMEDA CONTRA COSTA TRANSIT DISTRICT Voters created the Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District (AC Transit) in 1956 and subsequently approved a $16,500,000 bond issue in 1959 enabling the District to buy out the failing privately owned Key System Transit Lines. In October 1960, AC Transit’s service began in the East Bay of California (opposite San Francisco) and is still running. The badge is nickel-plated brass, and is a pin back, measuring 2.5 inches across in the middle.
ALBANY-CORVALLIS STAGE LINE ran 11 miles from Albany to Corvallis, Oregon, in 1923.
ALBRIGHT BUS LINE was founded in the early 1920s in Ellerslie, Maryland by Clifford O. Albright. He started with two touring, 7-passenger cars—a Lincoln and a Hudson. His drivers were his father, John Albright, and life-long friend Robert E. DeVore. Sometime in the 1920s he updated with two new REO Speed Wagon Buses. In 1954 the company ran 6 buses over 40 route miles. Over the years drivers included Don DeVore, Ernie DeVore, Ken See, Chink Evans, Don Bohn, Harvey Gaumer, and Red Miller. In 1958 Clifford Albright began shutting down operations. In June 1958 he petitioned the Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission to cease operations between Cumberland, Maryland and Hyndman, Pennsylvania,—a distance of some 14 miles. At that time the company was still running between Cumberland and Ellerslie. By the end of the year it had completely shut down operations.
ALBUQUERQUE BUS COMPANY ran from 1928 until 1965. Here is some information on the present day transit company in Albuquerque, N. M. : “ABQ RIDE may be celebrating a golden anniversary in 2015, but the department’s roots actually go back 87 years. That’s when the department’s forerunner, the privately-owned Albuquerque Bus Company first began service. On Jan. 1, 1928, buses that only days before had been plying the streets of Casper, Wyoming were now providing Albuquerque with regular bus service.” The badge has two threaded posts and marked “Hook Fast – Providence, R.I.” The badge measures 2 ½ x 2 ½ “.
ALDER POINT-HARRIS STAGE LINE In 1924 this company ran a bus from Alder Point (Alderpoint) to Harris, California (a distance of some 10 miles). George. N. Mathison was the owner.
ALDER POINT-HOLGLIN AUTO STAGE LINE was operating out of Alderpoint, California, in 1924. It was operated by the Wilkinson brothers.
ALERT COACH LINES, an affiliate of Baumann & Sons Buses, Incorporated, and Acme Bus Corporation, began on November 30, 1966, on Long Island, NY. It had at least four lines within the county, which included a connection with the Suffolk portion of the old Utility Lines bus company.
ALEXANDRIA BAY-REDWOOD TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was organized in Alexandria Bay, New York, in 1916 to replace the Redwood Trolley Line, which went bankrupt. The company went out of business on May 11, 1922.
ALEXANDRIA, BARCROFT & WASHINGTON TRANSIT COMPANY / A. B. & W. TRANSIT COMPANY This company began operation in 1921 as the Alexandria-Barcroft-Washington Rapid Transit Company and continued until February 4, 1973, when Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) bought the company and three other D.C. area transit operations creating the Metrobus system. The Alexandria, Barcroft and Washington Transit Company (AB&W) mainly operated along and south of Columbia Pike.
The story of the A. B. & W.’s founding is told in volume III of the Rebirth of the Old Dominion Virginia Biography (THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY CHICAGO AND NEW YORK 1929), and starts with Robert Lee May, a retired D.C. police officer living in Alexandria, Virginia: “A casual accident to the somewhat decrepit Ford automobile used by his wife led him to the train of thought that brought him to a decision to establish and operate a motor-bus line between Barcroft and Washington for the accommodation of the people of the village and those residing along the Columbia turnpike. Mr. May, with a Reo chassis, fitted up a sort of rudimentary transport that would accommodate about twenty persons when crowded, and this he placed in commission on the route, while he himself officiated as driver. The first trip was made June 27, 1921, and thus was given inception to what has become a large and important enterprise in the field of interurban motor transportation.“
The October 21, 2010, edition of the Alexandria Times, article “The dawn of public transit” picks up the story: “Columbia Pike was still a dirt road when they [Robert L. May and his wife Lulu] purchased an REO Speed Wagon, and in June 1921, Rob May drove it along Columbia Pike into Washington and back. In the third trip, he picked up his first passenger, who flagged him down for a ride and paid 15 cents to travel into the District. Business picked up quickly and with the first month the Mays had to purchase a second vehicle. A few years later, they acquired the Alexandria Motor Bus Line, which ran between Alexandria and Washington, and in 1924 had four buses serving Columbia Pike and six serving Alexandria. The newly expanded business was renamed the Alexandria, Barcroft and Washington Rapid Transit Company.” We again turn to the article in the Old Dominion Virginia Biography to pick up the story: “The year 1928 finds five motor busses in operation on the Barcroft-Washington line, and July 1, 1924, Mr. May expanded his business by establishing his line between Washington and Alexandria, five deluxe cars being operated on this line and express service provided during rush hours. Mr. May encountered opposition in the latter project, but popular sentiment was with him, as the pioneer, and he eventually gained control of the interests of his competitors and is now sole owner of the Alexandria-Barcroft-Washington Rapid Transit Company, the service of which is maintained at the best modern standard. The service of the line is used by fully 3,000,000 persons annually. It was in 1926 that Mr. May effected the organization of the Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches, Incorporated, and the deluxe service given by this admirable line between the national capital and the Virginia capital has met with unqualified popular approval and support, the while it constitutes a valuable public utility for the communities through which the line passes. Of this corporation Mr. May has been president from the beginning, and his progressive policies have been the force through which the service has been developed and perfected. Mr. May has been able to translate his thoughts into constructive action and has made an outstanding record in the domain of national motor transportation. He is chairman of the executive committee of the Virginia Motor Bus Association, at the time of this writing, in the summer of 1928, and is a member of the transportation committee of the Alexandria Chamber of Commerce. He maintains his home in Barcroft and his busses activities have contributed much to the remarkable development and progress of that place. His executive headquarters are established at 127 North Pitt Street in the City of Alexandria.”
On November 6, 1966, President Lyndon Johnson signed a bill creating the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). The governors of Maryland and Virginia signed November 17 and the commissioners of the District of Columbia signed on November 22. On October 21, 1972, President Richard Nixon signed a bill authorizing WMATA to acquire the metropolitan area’s four privately owned bus companies. On January 14, 1973, WMATA purchased D.C. Transit, Inc. and WV&M Coach Co. (Washington, Virginia & Maryland Coach Company, Inc.) for $38.2 million. On February 4 WMATA purchased A. B. &W. Transit Co. for $10.7 million and WMA Transit Co. (Washington Marlboro & Annapolis Transit Company) for $4.5 million, thereby creating Metrobus system.
On January 15, 1973, the Associated Press reported: “[Metro] plans to sink $50 million into an improvement program designed to offer better service than its predecessors, which have been losing riders even as the community’s population doubled in 15 years. Metro has proclaimed ‘a promising new era,’ but for the present all the old routes and schedules will be maintained and fare will stay the same except for the 15-cent senior-citizens fare that will be extended from six to seven days a week and applied for the first time to WV&M routes. ‘Metrobus’ decals will be emblazoned on the sides of about 100 buses, and all vehicles will fly red, white, blue and black ‘Metro’ pennants; leaflets and posters will inform passengers of the public takeover — and ask for their patience.”
Below: on the left an old style badge made of brass and enamel; measures 2⅞” x 2⅜”. A newer style, to the right, is made of nickel plated brass. Single threaded post 2½” wide x 2¼” tall. Hallmarked on back. Third set of photos is of a newer badge with a single threaded post.
ALL AMERICAN BUS LINES, INC. was incorporated in September 1935 in Delaware, although the company’s operations were located at 506 S. Wabash Ave., Chicago, Illinois. Organized by Charles F. Wren (1885-1944), All American Bus Lines was formed as a result of his Columbia Pacific Nite Coach going bankrupt in 1935. Like CPNC, All American Bus Lines ran coast-to-coast, and is noted because it was the first coast-to-coast bus line owned by a single operator. It’s 1944 schedule advertised “Buses Daily To New York Dallas Chicago Los Angeles St. Louis San Francisco” “Free Meals Free Pillows No Local Stops”. Wren died in 1944; in 1946 the company was reorganized and renamed American Buslines. Shortly after, it joined the Trailways System, where it was known as American Trailways. In 1953 the company was sold to Transcontinental Bus System/Continental Trailways.
ALLEGHENY MOTOR COACH COMPANY, INC. is mentioned in 1928 as running between Olean and Salamanca, New York. In January 1932 the company was granted a certificate of operation to run a bus line between Bradford, Pennsylvania, and the New York state line.
ALLEN & REESE STAGES ran out of Sanger, California, in 1924. It was owned and operated by Carl C. Allen & J. M. Reese. The company was still active in 1934.
ALLEN’S AUTO STAGE (See Missouri, Kansas & Oklahoma Coach Lines, Inc.)
ALLENTOWN & LEHIGH VALLEY TRACTION COMPANY This company was created in 1893 by investor Albert Johnson by combining a group of local Pennsylvania streetcar lines. Quakertown Traction Company in 1898 operated electric trolleys from Richlandtown in Bucks County through Quakertown to Perkasie. By 1900 the Inland Traction Company ran south from Perkasie to Lansdale, and the Montgomery Traction Company ran from there to Norristown. In 1901, a newly formed Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley Traction Company under Johnson merged these lines and others in the Lehigh and Delaware Valleys with the plan to create a trolley system to reach north to New York City. But Johnson died later that year, plus the company was in receivership by 1903.
In 1905, the assets of the new Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley Traction Company were acquired by a new corporate entity: the Lehigh Valley Transit Company. It operated successfully into the 1930s, struggled financially during the Depression, and was saved from abandonment by a dramatic ridership increase due to the Second World War. In 1951, the LVT, once again financially struggling, ended its 36-mile interurban rail service from Allentown to Philadelphia. In 1952, it ended its Allentown area local trolley service. It operated local bus service in the Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton, Pennsylvania areas until going out of business in 1972. (See Lehigh Valley Transit Company for more information.) The badge is made of nickel and measures approx. 4½” in length.
ALLENTOWN & READING TRANSIT COMPANY / ALLENTOWN & READING TRAILWAYS There’s not much info on this company. Allentown & Reading Transit Company began operations on January 3, 1929, in Reading, Pennsylvania. By 1945 the company was headquartered in Reading, Pennsylvania and served Allentown, Reading, Bethlehem, Quakerstown, Foglesville, Fleetwood and Kutztown. Also in 1945, the company joined National Trailways as Allentown & Reading Trailways, and according to one researcher lasted in that organization until 1947. I found this notice in a September 6, 1945 newspaper: “A & R Trailways Adds 2 New Buses: Few bus companies can equal the record of the Allentown & Reading Trailways Company, Norman P. Fernon, Jr., president, which during the past eight months has added five new buses, making the grand total 24. The two latest models, valued at $14,000 each, arrived recently, and one of them was used on the first charter trip of the season, September second, to Atlantic City. The new buses, all aluminum, with a capacity of 37, are post-war equipment.” In 1954, the company was headquartered in Allentown, Pennsylvania and ran 5 buses over 39 route miles.
ALLISON AUTO EXPRESS was owned by P.C. Allison and operated from South Harvard Blv., Los Angeles, California. In 1926 the company was owned by C.E. Smith and still operating out of Los Angeles. The company was still in business in 1933.
ALMS & DOEPKE CO. is listed in the 1928-29 edition of WILLIAMS’Cincinnati Directory and ran a bus service to downtown Cincinnati, Ohio, from Central Parkway and Main to 9th, to Walnut, to 4th, to Race, to 9th, to Sycamore to Central Parkway to main starting point. The company was still around in 1948 when it ordered a new GM bus.
ALPAUGH-ANGIOLA STAGE LINE was owned and operated by E. T. Ryker out of Alpaugh, California, in 1924.
ALPAUGH-EARLIMART AUTO LINE was operating in 1926 out of Alpaugh, California. E. T. Ryker was the owner.
ALTON TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was formed in 1927 as a bus subsidiary of Chicago & Alton Railroad. In August 1928 the company was granted a certificate to operate a motor coach line between Chicago, Illinois, and St. Louis, Missouri . The October 11, 1928, edition of the Freeport Journal-Standard from Freeport, Illinois, reported “Chicago & Alton railroad to permit the Chicago & Joliet Transportation company and the Illinois Traction system to purchase the Alton Transportation company, a bus line subsidiary of the C. & A.” The Centralia Evening Sentinel for Friday, May 02, 1930, reported “The commission approved the sale by the Alton Transportation Company to the Jacksonville Bus Line all of the former’s franchises and operative rights between Jacksonville and East St. Louis.”
ALTURAS-BIEBER STAGE LINE operated in 1924 between Altruas and Bieber, California. L. M. Estes was the owner.
ALTURAS & CEDARVILLE STAGE COMPANY was operating in 1924 and ran the 22 miles between Alturas and Cedarville, California.
ALTURAS-SURPRISE VALLEY STAGE LINE was operating in 1926 running between Alturas and Surprise Valley, California.
AMADOR STAGE LINES was operating in the mid 1920s out of Sacramento, California. The Schneider brothers were the owners.
AMARILLO BUS COMPANY By 1925 all streetcar service in Amarillo, Texas, had ceased operations. That same year two Oklahoma City businessmen, brothers Frank and Joe Doerfler began operating a bus service in Amarillo, doing all the driving and bus maintenance themselves. Their Amarillo Bus Company schedule operated 17-hours a days, covered the majority of Amarillo and cost only 10-cents a ride. In 1926 brothers Martin and George Nussbaum moved from Wichita, Kansas and bought out the Amarillo Bus Company. The company’s major competitor was the Amarillo Traction Company, which, in 1927, secured a charter from the City to provide bus service to Amarillo. As a sideline, Amarillo Bus Company started providing tire and mechanical service to the area’s bus companies. (This would one day become the A to Z Tire & Battery Inc.) By the early 1950s the Amarillo Traction Company was out of business and the Amarillo Bus Company was operating the city’s bus system. In 1954 it was running 51 buses over 108 route miles. (Five members of the Nussbaum family were listed as company officers and managers.) Meanwhile, the Nussbaum family incorporated A to Z Tire & Battery in 1955. (Eventually, the company opened stores throughout Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Montana.) In November 1966 the Amarillo City Commissioners approved a plan to replace the Amarillo Bus Company with the City-operated Amarillo Transit System. The end was reported in the November 24, 1966, edition of The Amarillo Globe-Times: “H-hour is 6 a.m. and D-day is Sunday. That is when the new municipally operated operated Amarillo Transit System will take over routes and schedules of the Amarillo Bus Co. with larger, 42-passenger vehicles. After 40 years of service in Amarillo the Amarillo Bus Co. will go out of business at that time. It notified the city it could no longer operate beyond then last month and offered to sell its operation to the city for $136,000. After musing over the proposal, city commissioners decided to see what other equipment was available. They ended by purchasing 35 Southern Coaches with air conditioning from the City of Dallas rather than 32 Amarillo Bus Co. vehicles which carry 32 passengers and weigh only half as much — 10,000 pounds. Purchase price was $99.500 (FOB Amarillo). The 1955 model buses were the last to be replaced with newer vehicles by Dallas with the aid of a federal grant from the Transportation Administration of the Department of Housing and Urban Development.” Arnold Nussbauin, who was the general manager of Amarillo Bus Company, said his company has been running only three routes on Sundays; Nussbaum was asked how it felt to see his company’s long tenure come to a close. He replied: “Things look dark and gloomy. It’s like losing your right arm.“‘ The badge is nickel and has a pin back.
AMARILLO STREET RAILWAY COMPANY began operations in 1907 running streetcars in Amarillo, Texas. Its first route was transporting passengers from the suburban Glenwood addition to downtown Amarillo. In 1911 the Amarillo Traction Company opened a second street railway service running to San Jacinto Heights. The Amarillo Street Railway Company ceased business in 1920 and in July of that year the city of Amarillo took over operations. In January 1924 the city ceased operations and the system was sold for salvage. The following year Amarillo Traction Company also failed and by 1926 all street railway service had ceased. (Amarillo Traction Company began operating a bus service in Amarillo in 1927.)
AMARILLO TRACTION COMPANY, INC. According to the July 1911 issue of Electrical Review, the company was incorporated in 1911 in Amarillo, Texas, by Mark Logan, W. W. Lynch and N. A. Brown, who formed the company to serve their new development called San Jacinto Heights, which lay to the west of the business district of the Amarillo. In 1924 the Amarillo Street Railway Company failed, followed the next year by the Amarillo Traction Company, thus ending all streetcar service in Amarillo. However, on March 27, 1927, W.W. Lynch obtained a obtained a charter to operate a city bus system in Amarillo. Lynch would also found the San Jacinto Bus Company, which was running 8 buses by 1938. Amarillo Traction Company’s charter was renewed in 1946, which was reported in the August 15, 1946, edition of The Amarillo Globe-Times from Amarillo, Texas: “The City of Amarillo, Texas, acting by and through the City Commission, finds that public convenience necessity require motor bus service be available to the public in said City and does hereby grant unto the Amarillo Traction Company. Inc., Amarillo, Texas, a corporation, the right and privilege to operate a motor bus system over and upon tho public streets, avenues, and other public thoroughfares of the City of Amarillo, Texas.” In 1946 the company was running 15 buses over 25 route miles. The company was out of business by 1952 and was succeeded by the Amarillo Bus Company.
AMARILLO TRANSIT SYSTEM was the successor in 1966 to the Amarillo Bus Company. The badge is made of die-pressed nickel and has two threaded posts.
AMERICAN AUTOMOBILE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s between Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1926 it was acquired by the Twin City Rapid Transit Company.
AMERICAN MOTOR TRANSPORTATION COMPANY See Star Auto Stage Association.
AMERICAN STAGE LINE was running in the late 1910s out of Ferndale, California. In 1919 the company advertised: “THE AMERICAN STAGE LINE Bellingham to Lynden via Ferndale is here to serve you. It is our aim now and will be in the future, to give you at all times the best of service. You can help us build up a future transportation line that will be dependable. We are here for your convenience. Any suggestion for the betterment of the service will be gladly received and considered. Remember, when traveling, THE AMERICAN STAGE LINE will serve you best.” The company is listed as operating in 1924-1925. George M. Brice was the owner/manager.
AMERICAN TRANSIT CORPORATION began in 1935 in Danville, Illinois, by brothers Dominick and Peter Giacoma. After first acquiring a number of transit companies, the two brothers incorporated in 1951 as the American Transit Corporation, which was a holding company. In 1966, AMERICAN TRANSIT CORPORATION became a subsidiary of Chromalloy American Corporation.
COMPANIES OWNED BY AMERICAN TRANSIT CORPORATION DURING ITS HISTORY:
Austin Transit Corp./TX
Bee Line Transit Corp./Danville IL
Birmingham Transit Co./AL
Cairo Motor Transit Corp./IL
Cape Transit Corp./Cape Girardeau, MO
Chicago & Calumet District Transit Co. Inc./IN
Druid Transit Co. Inc./Tuscaloosa AL
Dyersburg Transit Corp./Dyersburg TN
Great Lakes Transit Corp./Detroit suburbs (1958)
Hattiesburg City Lines Inc./MS
Inter-City Transit Corp./Centralia IL
Intertown Suburban Lines Corp./Detroit suburb
Joplin Transit Corp./MO
La Salle-Peru City Lines Inc./IL
Lexington Transit Corp./KY
Lubbock Transit Corp./TX
Mississippi City Lines Inc.
Municipal Transit Lines Inc./Gulfport MS
Overlake Transit Service/Seattle suburbs
Paducah Transit Corp./KY
Pensacola Transit Inc./FL
Pontiac Transit Corp./MI
Port Arthur Transit Corp./TX
Rockford Transit Corp./IL
Shoals Transit Inc./Sheffield AL
Shreveport Transit Co./LA
South Coast Transit Corp.
Suburban Transit Corp./Dayton suburbs
Twin City Transit Corp.
Waco Transit Corp./TX
Westside Transit Lines Inc./Gretna LA
ANACORTES-MOUNT VERNON STAGE COMPANY This company was was founded in Anacortes, Washington, in 1918 and was sold to brothers William and David Affleck in 1924 after the death of the owner. The brother operated the line out of Anacortes until 1948. In 1948 the line served Mt. Vernon, Sedro Woolley, Oak Harbor, Seattle, Bellingham and Olympia, Washington.
ANAHEIM TRANSIT COMPANY was running a line in the early 1920s out of Anaheim, California, to the Anaheim Beef Company. In October 1921 owner Mason Brown sold a half interest to Harry D. Riley.
ANDERSON BROTHERS LINE was operating in 1923 from Nehalem to Seaside, Oregon, over a 29-mile route.
ANDERSON CITY LINES, INC. was owned by the Wesson Company and took over bus operations in Anderson, Indiana, in 1952 from Indiana Railroad, which was itself a division of the Wesson Company. At the time Indiana Railroad was running 27 buses over 56 route miles. In 1956 Anderson City Lines was running 26 buses over 64 route miles. (Wesson also owned and operated Muncie City Lines, Inc. and Richmond City Lines, Inc.) The February 21, 1969, edition of the Anderson Herald from Anderson, Indiana, noted that the company was closing down operations in June 1969 and reported an operational loss of $66,937. The company did cease operations in 1969. The badge measures about 2¾” x 2¾” and has two threaded posts; it was made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R.I.
ANDERSON STAGE LINE was operating in the San Francisco Bay, California, area in 1922.
ANDERSONS AUTO PASSENGER LINE was running in 1924 out of Randsburg, California. W. H. Anderson was listed as the owner.
ANGELO BATTILOCCHI BUS LINE was operating in West Virginia in the early 1920s; the company was still operating in 1930.
ANGELS CAMP & MURPHY’S AUTO STAGE LINE operated out of Nativo Celayo, Angels Camp, California, in 1924.
ANNAPOLIS-STEWART’S POINT STAGE LINE operated in 1924 out of Annapolis, California. Edward Mitchell was the manager.
ANNISTON TRANSIT, INC. took over bus service in Anniston, Alabama, in 1954 from Crescent Motors, Inc. President W. P. Acker ran 23 buses from the former offices/yard of Crescent Motors. (See Crescent Motors for more information on this company.)
ANTIETAM TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. The company was named for Antietam Creek, the famous (or infamous) Civil War battlefield. It operated a city bus line in Hagerstown, Maryland, from mid 1957 when it took over public transit operations from Potomac Edison Company. The company was headed by Joseph G. Succa, who formed the company in June 1957 and was its president and principal stockholder. By the end of 1957 the company reported losses of $12,472. The company was forced to close down in March 1970 due to heavy financial losses. It’s charter service was sold to Wolf Bus Lines that same year. The badge is made of nickel-plated brass with two threaded posts and was likely made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R.I., judging by the thumbnuts which are marked “HOOKFAST REG. U.S.A.”
APPALACHIAN BUS COMPANY, INC. was operating in the mid 1920s in Windom, North Carolina. Clarence Robertson was the owner. It ran from Asheville to Spruce Pine to the North Carolina-Tennessee stage line on Highway 692. It seems to be the same Appalachian Bus Company mentioned in a Kentucky Court of Appeals case filed on November 30, 1928 along with Hazard Bus Company: “The Hazard Bus Company and the Appalachian Bus Company, Inc. are corporations authorized under section 2739j-1et seq., Ky. Statutes, 1928 Supplement, to operate busses between Sassafras, Ky., and Hazard, Ky., and perhaps between other points in Perry and Knott counties. On June 15, 1928, they brought this action against 25 defendants, all of whom are appellees here. The defendants were the owners and operators of taxicabs, and the plaintiffs sought an injunction to prevent the defendants from picking up and discharging passengers at points on the route over which the plaintiffs held certificates of convenience.” I can find no further information on either company.
APPLEYARD BUS LINES / APPLEYARD BUS COMPANY / APPLEYARD’S BUS, INC. There’s not much info on this company. First of all, it seems to have used three different forms for its company title. It was a privately owned company operating before 1965 in Merrimac, Massachusetts. It is not listed in the 1950s editions of the MTD, nor in Russell’s. In 1965 the company assumed the operations of the Massachusetts Northeastern Transportation Company. By 1967 the company was located in Methuen, Massachusetts and using the name “Appleyard’s Bus, Inc.” and/or Appleyard Bus Company (according to several different local newspaper items). By 1967 it was operating a school bus service in Salem, Massachusetts. In 1970 the company was bought out by Michaud Bus Lines, Inc.: “MOTOR CARRIER OF PASSENGERS No. MC-F-10704. Authority sought for purchase by MICHAUD BUS LINES, INC., 250 Jefferson Avenue, Salem, Mass., of the operating rights and property of APPLEYARD’S BUS, INC., 7 Lowell Street, Methuen, Mass. 01844, and for acquisition by J. ALEXANDER MICHAUD, also of Salem, Mass., of control of such rights and property through the purchase. . . . Operating rights sought to be transferred: Passengers and their baggage, and newspapers, in the same vehicle with passengers, as a common carrier over regular routes, between Lawrence, Mass., and Salisbury, Mass., serving certain intermediate points, between Haverhill, Mass., and Methuen, Mass. Filed, Jan. 13, 1970.” Michaud Bus Lines was taken over in 1974 by the publicly owned Merrimac Valley Regional Transit Authority.
ARCODEL SYSTEM, INC. was incorporated on October 11, 1933, in Columbus, Ohio, by H.E. Haynes, D. M. Munro and K.H. Pyle. The story behind the name seems to be that several small Ohio bus companies were purchased and placed in this corporation to operate as a system, connecting Columbus, Newark, Zanesville, Woodsfield, and Marietta. Most histories mentioning this company begin with its purchase in February 1948 by Harry W. Arnold, who added it to the list of bus companies he owned—such as the Ohio Rapid Transit Company, Lake Shore Coach Company, Red Star Way and Fairlick Stages, all of which ran under Arnold’s Lake Shore System. The story was reported in the Monday, February 9, 1948, edition of the Sandusky Register from Sandusky, Ohio: “NEWARK, O., Feb. 9 (UP)—The Ohio Rapid Transit Co., Newark, has purchased the Arcodel System of inter-city bus companies connecting Columbus, Newark. Zanesville, Woodsfield, and Marietta, it was revealed today. Harry W. Arnold, president of ORT, said the purchase will extend the ORT system to Toledo and Cleveland through connections with the Lake Shore Coach Co. The ORT also owns subsidiaries in Sandusky, Newark, Mansfield, and Zanesville. Arnold said the addition of the Arcodel system is part of an expansion program financed by n $500,000 bond issue. R. L. Jacobs, general manager of the Arcodel system, will be in- charge of Arcodel operations under Mr. Arnold.” R.L. Jacobs was hired as general manager of the Arcodel System when Arnold took over the company, and D. M. Munro, one of the original incorporators, remained as traffic manager. (The Lake Shore System covered Cleveland, Toledo and Columbus, Ohio, and extend along the busiest portion of Lake Erie’s south shore and south to the Ohio River. Ohio Rapid Transit Company owned and operated Granville Motor Stages, Inc., City Rapid Transit Lines, Inc., Newark Transit, Inc., Zaneville Rapid Transit, Inc. In 1946 it ran 100 buses over 100 route miles.)
ARGUS LINE TRANSPORTATION CORPORATION was a bus operator in the borough of Queens in New York City. It operated the Q6 bus route, originally operated by Queens Bus Corporation, before it was taken over by Green Bus Lines.
ARKANSAS MOTOR COACHES, LIMITED, INC. / ARKANSAS TRAILWAYS There is a bit of conflict about the origins of this company. The first account comes from a United States Tax Court hearing dated April 30, 1957. Arkansas Motor Coaches v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue: “History of Operation and Operating Certificates. A partnership or joint venture known as Arkansas Motor Coaches, Ltd., which was the predecessor of petitioner, commenced operation as a passenger bus carrier between Memphis and Little Rock on or before September 16, 1935, and between Little Rock and Texarkana on or before September 17, 1935. Raymond Rebsamen (hereinafter referred to as Rebsamen), a wealthy and successful businessman of Little Rock, financed its operation. Its franchises, certificates, and permits were obtained in the name of Milton D. Leeper (hereinafter referred to as Leeper), doing business as Arkansas Motor Coaches, Ltd. Franchises, certificates, and permits obtained in the name of Leeper were as follows: 1. Interstate permit from the State of Tennessee dated September 16, 1935, authorizing operations as an interstate carrier in and out of Memphis, Tennessee, from West Memphis, Arkansas. 2. Letter from the Railroad Commission of the State of Texas dated October 3, 1935, advising that no Texas permit was required to operate out of a terminal located on the Texas side of Texarkana. 3. Interstate permit from the State of Arkansas dated October 8, 1935, authorizing operations as an interstate carrier between Texarkana and Memphis over U.S. Highway 67 from Texarkana to Arkadelphia, thence over Arkansas Highway 7 to Hot Springs, thence over U.S. Highway 70 to Little Rock and Memphis, Tennessee, a total distance of 315 miles. 4. Intrastate permit from State of Arkansas dated February 13, 1936, authorizing intrastate service between Texarkana and West Memphis, Arkansas, via Hot Springs and Little Rock, serving all intermediate points.”
“These franchises, certificates, and permits enabled petitioner and/or its predecessor to operate along the 315-mile route between Memphis and Texarkana. The petitioner was organized for the purpose of operating passenger buses in intrastate and interstate commerce between Texarkana and Memphis. Its authorized capital stock was 100 shares. Rebsamen and his family subscribed to 51 shares. Leeper subscribed to 49 shares. Petitioner’s corporate charter was issued on November 15, 1935; however, it did not commence business until March 14, 1937. On that date, in fulfillment of an agreement of its subscribers entered into prior to October 15, 1935, petitioner took over all of the franchises, licenses, permits, applications for permits or licenses then pending, equipment, and other assets and assumed the liabilities of Arkansas Motor Coaches, Ltd. Management. M. E. Moore, a man with about 7 years’ experience in various phases of the bus industry, was hired by petitioner’s predecessor as traffic manager in 1936, and in 1937 he became manager of the petitioner. He remained with petitioner in that capacity until 1943, when he became president of Bowen Motor Coaches of Fort Worth, Texas, which through later affiliation became the Continental Bus System. Rebsamen was not active in petitioner’s management other than in a financial capacity. Moore consulted with him with respect to the financial matters relative to the corporation and its operations.”
The second account comes from Jon’s Trailways History Corner, which is backed by D.B. “Doc” Rushing’s Greyhound history, and which states that Maurice Edwin Moore “in the late 30’s and with several other men as minor investors, purchased sixteen Flxible buses and began Arkansas Motor Coaches, Ltd., operating from Little Rock via Hot Springs to Texarkana on the Arkansas-Texas state line. They later extended the line from Little Rock to Memphis over a route which duplicated that of Missouri Pacific. By 1943, Moore had became sole owner of Arkansas Motor Coaches. . . . in 1943, Maurice E. Moore from Arkansas Motor Coaches purchased Bowen Motor Coaches for the sum of $42 million dollars cash.” The conflict between the two accounts is that in the Tax Court document, which is dated 1957, Maurice E. Moore, is not given credit for founding Arkansas Motor Coaches, nor is he ever noted as owning the company—and keep in mind that Moore gave testimony for the petitioner and is referred to as “former general manager”. So, I leave the matter there without offering an opinion. The 1939 Russell’s National Motor Coach Guide shows M. E. Moore as general manager of Arkansas Motor Coaches. In 1946 the company was running 25 buses over 632 route miles. By the 1950s the company was a member of the National Trailways Bus System; in 1953 Russell’s shows Arkansas Trailways serving Memphis, Brinkley, Little Rock, Hot Springs and Texarkana. Both Arkansas Motor Coaches and Arkansas Trailways are listed in the 1954 and 1956 MTD. According to one source, Arkansas Trailways sold out to Transcontinental Bus System / Continental Trailways in 1956. In 1956 the company was operating 31 buses over 464 route miles.
ARROW BUS LINE “During the 1950s and 1960s, Arrow Bus Lines was a local bus service that ran in the Port Credit and Cooksville areas of what is now the City of Mississauga [Ontario]. The operation started in 1955, and was owned at one time by Joe Monk who was also in the moving truck business. Arrow ended its operations following a takeover by Charterways Transportation in the fall of 1968.”
ARROW BUS LINE An article in the February 1922 issue of Bus Transportation notes that “the Arrow Line” was operating 12 Packard buses, “each of thirty-passenger capacity” and was running between Newark and Paterson, New Jersey. Interestingly, the article calls the company “the Arrow Line” while the photo it provides shows a bus with the words “Arrow Bus Line”.
ARROW BUS LINE, INC. I’m not sure if this is the right company for the badge photo: The company was owned by Frank T. Van Gonsic, Lawrence Van Gonsic and Anthony Van Gonsic and operated out of New Paltz, New York. In 1954 it ran 16 buses over 61 route miles serving Poughkeepsie and Kingston, New York.
ARROW BUS LINES was operating out of McComb, Mississippi, as an intercity company. It ran a route between McComb and Hattiesburg in 1954. It was owned by McComb City Lines, which operated a local and an intercity company out of McComb with 7 buses over 80 route miles. Both companies were owned by Karey Andrews and W. I. Stones.
THE ARROW LINE, INC. This company was founded by Harry Phillips in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, in 1929 with two Pierce Arrow 7-passenger sedans. His company ran a single route between Pittsfield and Albany, New York. The following year Philips moved his company base to Hartford, Connecticut and the year after expanded to serve Providence, Rhode Island and New Haven, Waterbury, Toryington and Winsted, Connecticut. In 1945 Philips sold the Connecticut division to Rene R. Dupuis for $100,000. At the time the company was running two 24-passenger FitzJohn buses over 270 route miles. (FitzJohn manufactured bus bodies which were mostly fitted to REO engines and chassis.) In 1954 the company was operating 8 buses 372 route miles and Rene R. and Bertha T. Depuis were listed as the partners. At the same time Harry Phillips and Louis Trostonoff were partners in the Providence, Rhode Island division. That company operated 2 buses over 150 route miles. In 1956 the Rhode Island division was not listed in the MTD, but the Dupuis company, now listed as operating out of East Hartford, was still running 9 buses over 200 route miles. According to one source, the company ceased business in 2000. Given its age, there are likely more than one badge for this company. The badge pictured below is a later issue made of nickel-plated brass with two threaded posts. No maker’s mark.
ARROYO SECO STAGE LINE was based in Pasadena, California. In 1918 it operated from 44 South Raymond Ave. In 1924 N. A. Webb, was listed as the owner and R. H. Chase, manager. The company address was 55 South Fair Oaks, Pasadena. In 1926 the company was owned by T.G. Gillespie.
ARUNDEL BUS LINE was operating in the 1950s in Horn Point, Best Gate, Victor Haven and Parole, Maryland.
ASBURY PARK-NEW YORK TRANSIT CORPORATION On November 26, 1920, James Rollo of Keyport, New Jersey, incorporated Rollo Trucking Corporation in New York state. Three years later he began operating three motor buses between Asbury Park, New Jersey and New York. In 1925 Rollo’s company was renamed Rollo Transit Corporation. Soon after his bus subsidiary was incorporated as Asbury Park-New York Transit Corporation. In 1943 James Rollo was still running his trucking and bus companies. According to one source, the company was acquired by Academy Bus Lines, Inc. in 1989, adopting the subsidiary name Asbury Park Transit Lines, Inc., operating out of New York City. In 1999 Academy Lines, Inc. filed an application for the acquisition by merger of its affiliate, Asbury Park Transit Lines, Inc. Asbury Park Transit Lines, Inc. was absorbed by its parent. Academy Bus Lines, Inc. is currently the third-largest motorcoach operator in the United States and Canada.
ASBURY RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM was formed in Los Angeles, California, in 1939 by F.H. Asbury when he bought out Original Stage Line, which had operated since 1913, the Studio Bus Line, operating from Hollywood to Culver City and Pasadena-Ocean Park Stage Line, which had operated since 1919. (This last company had acquired three additional companies in 1926.) The company operated bus routes in Pasadena, Burbank, San Fernando and Los Angeles. In 1946 it was operating 57 buses over 175 route miles. It was acquired in July 1954 for $150,000 by Metropolitan Coach Lines, the subsidiary bus company of Pacific Electric Railway.
ASHEVILLE-ELK MOUNTAIN BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1940s out of Asheville, North Carolina. Routes: (a) Asheville via Temp, N. C. 63 to Woodfin, via Burnsville Mill Road to top of Burnsville Hill and via Elk Mountain Road to Elk Mountain Village and mill, and return same route. (b) Asheville via N. C. 63 (or 191) to Craggy Bridge and via N. C. 191 to Elk Mountain Village, and return by same route. (c) Asheville to Leicester and beyond to Plemmon’s Store and return via N. C.
ASHVILLE-LEICESTER BUS LINE See Leicester Bus Line.
ASHEVILLE-OTEEN BUS COMPANY was operating out of Asheville, North Carolina, to Oteen, N.C. over Highway No. 10 in the mid 1920s. (See also Oteen Bus Company.)
E. L. ASKIN STAGE COMPANY operated in 1924 out of Visalia, California. E.L. Askin was the owner/manager.
ASTORIA-FT STEVENS STAGE LINE ran 11 miles from Astoria to Ft. Stevens, Oregon, in 1923.
ASTORIA TRANSIT COMPANY was formed in 1924 by Sherman Lovel and W. E. Young, who owned the Linnton Transit Company of Portland, Oregon. The company started with six 25-passenger Mack buses in June 1924. Two days later the streetcars stopped running in Astoria.
ATHENS-PARKERSBURG BUS COMPANY This company was located in Athens, Ohio, and was owned by A. A. Campbell and P. R. McLaughlin. By 1930 the company was operating into West Virginia, which was around 80 miles away.
ATHENS-PRINCETON TRANSPORTATION COMPANY began operations on March 15, 1923, in West Virginia. The August 10, 1932, issue of the Bluefield Daily Telegraph, from Bluefield, West Virginia, has this information: “Notice is hereby given that the undersigned Athens-Princeton Transportation Company, of Athens, West Viriginia, has filed with the State Road Commission of West Virginia a petition for suspension of operation of buses between Hinton and Bluefield over certain streets State Route No. 44 and United States Highway No. 19 . . . for transportation of passengers for compensation . . . the hearing is set for 19th day of August 1932 at 10 o’clock a.m.” The company was still operating in 1934 and operated out of the Union Bus Terminal Station in Bluefield, West Virginia.
ATLANTA RAILWAY & POWER COMPANY On September 21, 1891, nearly twenty years after Atlanta’s first streetcar began service, the Atlanta & Edgewood Street Railroad Company and the Fulton County Street Railroad, along with the Atlanta Street Railway, the West End, and the Gate City were merged into the new Atlanta Consolidated Street Railway Company, led by Joel Hurt. In November of the following year, the Metropolitan was also added to the mix. The resulting system totaled over 50 miles, with some cars powered by electricity, some by steam, and some by horses and mules. In 1899, Joel Hurt’s Atlanta Consolidated changed its name to the Atlanta Railway & Power Company, indicating an intention to sell electricity for uses other than powering streetcars. The following year it purchased the Atlanta Railway Company. In September of 1901, Hurt sold his interests in the AR&P to a Boston investment firm associated with Atkinson. Early in the following year, Atkinson incorporated the Georgia Railway & Electric Company, which soon brought the AR&P, the Atlanta Rapid Transit Company, and the Georgia Electric Light Company into its fold. The badge is made of steel/nickel and has a pin on the reverse. It measures 2″ x 2⅝”
ATLANTA TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. / ATLANTA TRANSIT SYSTEM, INC. In 1871 horse-drawn streetcar began running in Atlanta, Georgia. By 1911 Georgia Railway & Power Company was operating electric streetcars. In 1929 the name was shortened to Georgia Power Company. In 1946 Georgia Power Company was running 116 passenger coaches over 303 route miles, 107 Trolley coaches over 26 route miles, and 75 buses over 123 route miles. The company stopped streetcar service in April 1949 and the system relied on trolley coaches, which had been running since 1937, and diesel buses. (Trolley coaches were phased out starting in 1963.)
In May 1950 Georgia Power Company drivers went on strike and during the five-week-long work stoppage, the company sought a buyer for its transit business. “In response to this, Atlanta businessmen Clement Evans, Granger Hansell and Inman Brandon, along with Leland Anderson of Columbus, Georgia, formed the Atlanta Transit Company and purchased the transportation properties on June 23, 1950, just over a month into the strike. More than 1,300 employees signed on to the new company and ended their strike. Anderson became the president of the ATC, and in September 1950 a Georgia Power vice president, Jackson Dick, joined to become the chairman of the board.” (Source: Wikepedia.) In 1951 Atlanta Transit Company acquired Suburban Coach Company and formed a subsidiary known as Metropolitan Transit System. In 1954 the company was running 116 buses over 105 route miles and 453 trolley coaches over 136 route miles. By 1956 the name had been changed to Atlanta Transit System, Inc. The company was taken over in 1972 by the publicly owned Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, or MARTA.
The first badge measures 2″ x 1&5/8″ and is marked on the back “W & H CO.”, meaning WHITEHEAD – HOAG NEWARK NEW JERSEY.
The second and third badge have a single threaded post and is hallmarked on the back for BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY. It measures 2″ tall.
The below badge was issued to Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority, or MARTA, employee H. L. Bibbs. It is made of heavy metal and has one threaded post and a pin post.
ATLANTIC BUS LINE I’ve been unable to find this company in any of my reference books, nor on line. Given its age and pristine condition, it may be a salesman’s sample with a mock company name. It came in a lot with another pristine condition badge which is also untraceable to an actual bus company. Moreover, three other Atlantic Bus Line badges are known and they all have the number “3” stamped on them, which again points to a badge made for a salesman sample. The badge measures 2″ x 2¼” and has one threaded post.
ATLANTIC CITY TRANSPORTATION COMPANY ran from 1945 thru 1985. The badge has one threaded post, no markings.
ATLANTIC COAST ELECTRIC RAILWAY COMPANY Located at 733 Mattison Ave., Asbury Park, New Jersey, Atlantic Coast Electric Railway Company was incorporated on December 8, 1895 as a reorganization of the Atlantic Coast Electric Railroad Company to provide electric streetcar service to Asbury Park. By 1924 the company owned Atlantic Coast Electric Light Company and controlled Asbury Park & Sea Girt Electric Railway Company, Seashore Electric Railway, West End & Long Branch Railway and Seacoast Traction Company. In 1924 the company also formed The Atlantic Coast Transportation Company bus line, which did not start operations until the following year. At that time their address was on Main Street in Allenhurst, New Jersey. In March 1924 the Atlantic Coast Electric Railway Company was merged into and with other railroad corporations and changed its name to Coast Cities Railway Company.
ATLANTIC COAST TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was formed by Atlantic Coast Electric Railway Company, but began operating on June 26, 1925, in Asbury Park, New Jersey, after that company changed its name to Coast City Railway Company.
ATLANTIC-PACIFIC STAGES See Cornhusker Stage Lines.
ATLANTIC STAGES / ATLANTIC TRAILWAYS was founded in the 1930s by J. A. Booker in Savannah, Georgia as an interstate bus company running through Georgia and Alabama. In 1945 it joined National Trailways and sold out in 1968 to Transcontinental Bus System / Continental Trailways. The badge measures about 2″ and has a single threaded post.
ATLAS MAIL & STAGE LINE / COMPANY was owned and operated by C. H. Biggs out of Napa, California, in 1924. (Since the company was located on Atlas Way in Napa, one can presume that was the origin of the company name.)
ATWOOD’S GOLD LINE SERVICE / ATWOOD’S TRANSPORT LINES, INC. This company was operating 14 buses in the early 1950s in Washington, D. C., owned and operated by C.A. Atwood and C. M. Atwood. In a court case dated October 11, 1962, a description of its operating route is given: “Atwood’s Transport Lines, Inc., a corporation engaged in bus transportation between Washington, D. C., and certain points in Maryland, between Washington, D. C. and Point Lookout, Maryland, and between Washington, D. C. and the site of the United States Atomic Energy Commission near Germantown, Maryland. The plaintiff is also authorized to run buses between Jarboesville, Maryland and Piney Point, Maryland, and to carry passengers in charter operations between Washington, D. C. and Alexandria, Arlington National Cemetery and Mount Vernon, Virginia. In addition, the plaintiff has been transporting passengers in charter operations from Alexandria and Fort Belvoir, Virginia, to various unspecified points and places in the United States.“
In a September 28, 1978, article in the Washington Post, we get a glimpse into the company’s bacground: “Gray Line has applied to the Interstate Commerce Commission and the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Commission for approval to sell its routes, 15 buses and other facilities to Atwood’s Transport Lines, which runs the Gold Line charter buses. If the sale is approved, Gold Line will take over not only Gray Line’s sightseeing tours of Washington attractions, but also is small commuter and charter operation. . . . Atwood’s Gold Line, based in Tuxedo, Md., has agreed to pay $547,500 for the Gray Line operation, according to the application for sale made to the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Commission. Atwood is owned by the Frank Martz Coach Co. of Wilkes-Barre, Pa.” There are two badges. The early badge is for Atwood’s Transport Lines, has two threaded posts and was made by WHITEHEAD – HOAG CO. NEWARK NEW JERSEY. The second badge is for Atwood’s Gold Line Service.
AUBURN BUS COMPANY was owned and operated by brothers Shaw and Ben Benderly. There’s no info on when the company began operations, but it took over city operations in Auburn, New York, starting in 1950 from the Cayuga Omni-Bus Corporation. The Tuesday, January 3, 1950, edition of the Citizen Advertiser, from Auburn, New York, gives the details: “A fleet of red and cream colored buses, owned by the Auburn Bus Company, composed of Shaw and Ben Benderly, went into action New Year’s Day and the switch from the service rendered by the Cayuga Omnibus Corporation to the new one was performed without a hitch. The Benderly brothers, who took over the franchise with a 10-year agreement for city operation, expressed pleasure at the fine way the Auburn passengers and officials have co-operated. The Auburn Bus Company has a fleet of 18 buses in operation and the Arm announced that more than 25 of the drivers of the Cayuga Omnibus Corporation have been absorbed in the change. The new bus firm houses its fleet in its recently acquired property, known as the Green Street Garage. The Cayuga Omnibus Corporation still maintains its service between Auburn and Syracuse. The Inter-urban line was not affected by the change in city operators.”
As noted in the article, the Cayuga Omni-Bus Corporation’s rural routes were unaffected by the sale of their city operation. However, by 1952 that situation had changed. In a newspaper article dated Saturday April 25, 1953, the company’s president, Harold J. Drescher, was interviewed about his request with the Public Service Commission that he be allowed to discontinue two rural bus routes, which would dissolve the company. (They were interurban service between Auburn and via Skaneateles and between Syracuse and via Onondaga Hill.) The March 12, 1954, edition of the Syracuse Post-Standard from Syracuse, New York carried this notice: “Last May the Cayuga Omnibus Co., which had operated the lines for 24 years, filed a petition with the commission asking for an order permitting it to go out of business on the ground that it was losing money.” That petition was granted in April 1954 and it sparked a bid from other companies for the abandoned routes. One of those companies was the Auburn Bus Company, which had already taken over Auburn’s city bus service by brothers Shaw and Ben Benderly. The PSC denied the petition, after which the Benderlys appealed. In March 1954 a rehearing was denied by the PSC. The other company was the Onondaga Coach Co., which applied for a permanent certificate of consent to operate the interurban bus lines between Auburn and Syracuse and Marcellus and Syracuse. (The Onondaga Coach Co. had been operating the lines on a temporary certificate since November 1, 1954.) In 1956 Auburn Bus Company was running 18 buses over 36 route miles. It went out of businss sometime after 1957. After 1959 the Auburn Transit Corporation was providing bus service to the city of Auburn, New York.
AUBURN & FOREST HILL STAGE LINE ran in 1924 out of Forest Hill, California. It was operated by M. C. Langstaff.
AUBURN-GEORGETOWN STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Georgetown, California. C. W. Ganow was the manager.
AUGUSTA COACH COMPANY On November 30, 1949 Georgia Power Company sold its Augusta, Georgia, public transit operations to Augusta Coach Company. The following company history is from case Nos. 81-7490, 81-7789 from the United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit dated March 7, 1983: “Prior to 1950, local bus service in Augusta was provided by the Georgia Power Company. In 1950, the Augusta Coach Company, a privately-owned corporation, purchased the service from Georgia Power and began operating local bus service under a franchise granted by the City of Augusta. Citing steady decreases in net income and working capital, Augusta Coach notified the City of Augusta in early 1973 that it intended to discontinue service. In April, 1973, the City of Augusta executed an option to purchase the assets of the Augusta Coach Company and for six months thereafter, Augusta provided operating assistance to Augusta Coach while an application for federal assistance under UMTA was prepared. By letter dated November 7, 1973, the City of Augusta purchased the assets of Augusta Coach with federal assistance and commenced local transit operations through the Augusta Transit Department on November 21, 1973.” In 1956 the company was running 43 buses over 55 route miles. The badge is solid with a pin/clasp.
AURORA CITY LINES ran city buses in Aurora, Illinois, from 1940 until 1968, and succeeded Aurora-Eligin City Lines. However, both companies were owned by National City Lines, which started service in 1936, having acquired bus operations from Aurora Elgin and Fox River Electric Company. The company was succeeded by Tom-A-Hawk Transit in 1966, which was subsidized by the city. In 1971 the city-owned Aurora Transit System took over city buses.
AURORA-ELGIN CITY LINES, INC. ran buses in Elgin, Illinois, from 1936 until 1940. It was owned by National City Lines, and succeeded the Aurora Elgin and Fox River Electric Company, which ran streetcars and buses from 1924 until 1936. In 1940 National City Lines changed the company’s name to Aurora City Lines, in Aurora, Illinois, and Elgin City Lines in Elgin, Illinois. Aurora City Lines was succeeded by the city subsidized Tom-A-Hawk Transit in 1966. In 1971 the city-owned Aurora Transit System took over city buses.
AURORA TRANSIT AUTHORITY I’m not sure where this badge fits in the history of Aurora, Illinois, transit history. It might be one and same as the Aurora Transit System, the successor to Tom-A-Hawk Transit, which closed down in 1971. “Aurora Transit Authority” took part in a class action suit against General Motor on August 8, 1973, which seems to fit this speculation. The badge is nickel and has two threaded posts.
AURORA TRANSIT SYSTEM was owned by the city Aurora, Illinois, and ran from 1971 thru 1989, succeeding Tom-A-Hawk Transit. Two threaded posts, no maker’s mark.
AUSTIN TRANSIT COMPANY ran from 1945 thru 1955 in Austin, Texas. The badge measures approx. 1 15/16″ by 2 5/16″.
AUTO LINE was founded in the 1910s by J.F. Birch; in 1920 it ran between Santa Rosa and Healdsburg, California. The company was still in business in 1922.
AUTO TRANSIT COMPANY was founded in May 1919 in Santa Cruz, California, with an eight-passenger automobile than ran from the St. George Hotel in Santa Cruz to San Francisco. The fare was $2.43 “including war tax.” The company was owned by George Seidelmann and Patrick Sommers, who were sued in May 1922 by the owner of the automobile for non-payement. In December 1926 Union Traction Company sold its bus line in the City of Santa Cruz to Auto Transit Company: “In accordance with its recent authorization from the state railroad commission the Auto Transit company will take over ownership and operation of the Union Traction Twin Lakes and Capitola bus lines on Saturday, January 1. ‘We have Just completed arrangements with the Union Traction company whereby its fare tokens from its Mission street and Pacific avenue lines will be honored on our busses and tokens from our routes will be accepted likewise on Traction cars,’ announced G. K. Higgins, president of the Transit company today. President Higgins added that immediately on assuming East Side passenger carrying service his company experts will make a detailed study of bus service with a view of arranging schedules to best suit needs of the majority of patrons.” The company was taken over by the Heple Transportation Company in 1929. In May 1930 the company was sold to Pacific Greyhound Lines, Inc.
AVENUE B & EAST BROADWAY TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. operated buses in Manhattan, New York City. It was organized in 1932 to run bus routes which had been operated as streetcars by the Dry Dock, East Broadway and Battery Railroad. Although an independent company, the company coordinated its routes with those of the Third Avenue Transit Company, which became Surface Transit, Inc., and exchanged transfers with that system. In 1980 the company’s operation was taken over by the New York City Transit Authority. The badge is die-pressed nickel-plated metal and has one threaded post.
AZEVEDO’S AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Half Moon Bay, California, to San Mateo. William Azevedo was the owner/manager. He also operated HALF MOON BAY STAGE LINE.
Copyright © 2020 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.