BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “D”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
D.C. TRANSIT See DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA TRANSIT
DMC So far I’ve identified only one possibility for this badge. First, note the age, which can be determined by the 1930s style bus featured on the badge, and next is the high employee number. Dixie Motor Coach Corporation was founded in 1928 and was a large operation. (See Dixie Motor Coach Corporation for more information.) The badge here has two threaded posts and measures 2 ½”.
DSR See Department of Street Railways.
DTC See Denver Tramway Company.
DAHLONEGA-ATLANTA STAGE / DAHLONEGA-ATLANTA TRAILWAYS The company was supposedly operating in 1946, however, it’s not listed in the 1946 MTD. It is listed in the 1952, 1954 and 1956 MTD. The company was located in Dahlonega, Georgia, and served Atlanta, Gainsville and Jasper, Georgia, with 8 buses; Fred C. Jones, Sr. and wife were the owners. The general manager was Fred C. Jones, Jr. Fred Jones, Sr. has owned and operated Fred Jones Chevrolet Company in Dahlonega since 1938, and the bus company was a sideline. According to one source, the company joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1946 and remained until 1955; however, it is listed in the 1956 MTD. The company ran this ad in 1952: “DAHLONEGA- ATLANTA TRAILWAYS invites you to RIDE IN COMFORT – ENJOY THE SCENIC BEAUTY OF THE NORTH GEORGIA MOUNTAINS”. In December 1949 the company purchased a new Flxible Clipper bus. This is all that is known for now.
DAHRINGER BUS & TAXI COMPANY Founded by M. J. Dahringer in Ludington, Michigan, the company was operating in the 1930s. There is a mention in the June 9, 1934, edition of the Ludington Daily News from Ludington, Michigan: “The New CHEVROLET GREYHOUND BUS NOW OWNED & OPERATED BY 4 THE Dahringer Bus Company This ultra-smart new bus, patterned after the Greyhound, is positively the last word in travel comfort, style and originality. Accommodates 10 passengers.” The company is again mentioned in the August 12, 1941 edition of the Ludington Daily News: “JENS W. JOHNSON In recognition of his 15-year record of bus driving without an accident, Michigan Mutual Liability company has presented Jens W. Johnson with a watch commemorating his accomplishment. This record means nearly a million miles of highway travel between the cities of Cadillac, Boyne City, Traverse, Ludington and j Petoskey, without an accident of any kind. Johnson was an employe of the Dahringer Bus & Taxi company of Ludington during that period.” The company was still operating out of Ludington in 1946.
DAISY LINE In 1893 the Kentucky & Indiana Bridge & Railroad Co., jointly owned by three steam railroads from Indiana ran a steam passenger service across the Ohio River from Louisville, Kentucky into New Albany, Indiana and was known as the “Daisy Line.” “The passenger cars were painted yellow with brown trim resembling a black-eyed susan, hence the name Daisy Line.”
In 1905 the Daisy Line was taken over by the Louisville & Southern Indiana Traction Co. This service continued until 1946 when the streetcars were replaced by buses, which ran until 1976.
DALLAS TRANSIT CO. was in operation from 1964 thru 1984. The badge has two threaded posts and was made by BASTIAN BROS. CO. ROCHESTER N.Y. and measures 2¼” x 2 ⅜”.
DALLAS RAILWAY COMPANY See DALLAS RAILWAY AND TERMINAL COMPANY.
DALLAS RAILWAY & TERMINAL COMPANY operated out of Dallas, Texas, from 1917 until ceasing operations in 1956. Below is a partial pedigree of this company:
1895-1898 Dallas City Railway Company (New Company formed to take ownership of Dallas Consolidated Traction Railway Company, which went into receivership.) 1898-1917 Dallas Consolidated and Electric Street Railway Company (acquired disposed property of the Dallas City Railway Company along with the Queens City Railway Company). 1899-1917 Rapid Transit Railway Company (acquired the Dallas Rapid Transit Company). 1900-1917 Northern Texas Traction Company (acquired the Dallas and Oak Cliff Elevated Railway). -1917 Metropolitan Street Railway Company. 1917-1926 Dallas Railway Company (merger of Dallas Consolidated and Electric Street Railway Company, Rapid Transit Railway Company and Metropolitan Street Railway Company as well as leasing of lines along the NTTC in Oak Cliff). 1926-1956 Dallas Railway & Terminal Company (Name change from the Dallas Railway Company.) 1956-1964 Dallas Transit Company (Name change from Dallas Railway & Terminal Company shortly after the last streetcar ran in January 1956.) In 1964, the city purchased the Dallas Transit Company, ending a 92-year run of private transit companies in Dallas)
The Dallas Transit System (DTS) was the transit service operated by the city of Dallas, from 1964 to 1988. DTS resulted from a consolidation of various privately owned transit companies and streetcar lines. Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART) formally took over operations of the DTS in 1988.
Three different badges are known: the first example made of brass, has one threaded post and one pin post; measures 2¼” x 1¾”; the early examples are marked “STELLMACHER & CLARK, INC. DALLAS”. The second example has two threaded posts and was made by Greenduck Co., Chicago; they measure 2⅜” x 2 ½”. There is a later example made of hard plastic with two different designs.
DALLAS TRANSIT COMPANY See DALLAS RAILWAY AND TERMINAL COMPANY.
DALLAS TRANSIT SYSTEM See DALLAS RAILWAY AND TERMINAL COMPANY.
TOM DALTON BUS LINE was running out of Chattanooga, Tennessee, after 1916, serving Chickamauga, Georgia; by April 1920, the company expanded service to Lafayette, Chickamauga and Estelle, Georgia. By October 1921 Tom Dalton Bus Line had expanded its operations into Dayton and Soddy, Tennessee, as well as Lafayette and Davis Cross Roads in Georgia, with expanded service to Lafayette and Chickamauga, Georgia. The company was still operating on April 20, 1924, when it introduced two new Reo-built coaches, which were dubbed “Blue Gooses”.
DAN PATCH BUS LINE was running in 1932 in Clay City, Indiana.
DANVILLE CITY LINES was a subsidiary of National City Lines. In 1936 NCL bought Illinois Power & Light Company‘s streetcars in Danville, Illinois, and replaced the system with buses. (On December 15, 1936, at 12:15 AM IP&LC motorman Virgil Miller arrived at Redden square with car #225, which was the last run.) Danville City Lines ran until 1964 when it was replaced by Bee Line Transit Corporation, which was owned by American Transit Corporation. The two badges shwon below are nickel–plated metal, have two threaded posts and measures 2½” x 3″; the first badge was made by Greenduck Company, Chicago, and although there are no markings on the back, the second badge was likely a Greenduck Co. Chicago production.
DANVILLE-LAFAYETTE MOTOR BUS COMPANY / DANVILLE-LAFAYETTE BUS COMPANY Apparently these were two different companies, judging by this news item in the October 3, 1925, edition of the Indianapolis News from Indianapolis, Indiana: “. . . the public utilities commission had authorized the sale of the Danville-Lafayette Motor Bus Company line to the Danville-Lafayette Bus Company for $8,000.” The Danville-Lafayette Motor Bus Company line ran an intercity route from Danville, Illinois, to Lafayette, Indiana. The Danville-Lafayette Bus Company operated from Whiting, Indiana.
DANVILLE-TERRE HAUTE LIMITED BUS COMPANY ran operated between Danville, Illinois, to Terre Haute, Indiana, in 1920. It is mentioned in a May 22, 1925 newspaper article, and was still operating in 1928.
DANVILLE TRACTION & POWER COMPANY, headquartered in Danville, Virginia, was incorporated in 1911 to take over the Danville Railway & Electric Co. In 1918 it ran 6.37 miles of line in Danville. The company operated as an electric railway until December 4, 1936, when buses took over. In 1946 the company operated 41 buses over 15 route miles and served Danville and Schoolfield. In 1956 it ran 30 buses over 60 route miles. On June 17, 1977, the company ceased operations due to Danville city officials refusing to continue their subsidy. In August 1977 the city formed its own public transportation system under the name City of Danville Transit System. The new system resumed bus service on September 7, 1977. The badge has two threaded posts and is made of chrome plated brass.
DARDANELLE STAGE LINE was operating out of Sonora, California, in 1924. C. F. Whipple was the registered contact.
DARLING BUS LINE, INC. began running in 1915 from Sayre, Pennsylvania, to Dolgeville. The operation “resulted in pulling off every passenger train on the Dolgeville Railroad.” In July 1925 it was purchased by the New York State Railway Company: “July 25, 1925, The Evening Times from Sayre, Pennsylvania; It is announced today that the New York State Railway Company, large upstate trolley system, has secured an option on the Darling auto bus line, running from this city to Johnstown. It is also stated that control of the bus line and franchise will be transferred at once. The bus line has been covering the missing unit in cross-state trolley service between here and Johnstown for the past few months. Its control by the New York State Railway Company now completes the gap.“
O. B. DARNELL BUS LINE began operations in 1940 running buses to Clinchport, Dungannon and Fort Blackmore, Virginia, carrying approximately 15,000 passengers monthly. July 1949 Frances Mae Franklin, manager of the O.B. Darnell Bus Lines, obtained a certificate of operation between Gate City, Virginia and Kingsport, Tennessee. The company is not listed in any edition of the MTD for the 1940s-1950s.
DARWIN & OLANCHA STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Olancha, California. M.V. Butler was the registered contact.
DAVENPORT CITY LINES See TRI-CITY RAILWAY COMPANY.
DAVIS AUTO TOURS, INC. was operating in the late 1920s out of Santa Barbara, California. Silas Davis was the owner/president/general manager.
DAVIS MOTOR LINES, INC. / B. F. DAVIS MOTOR BUS LINES, INC. This company is found listed several ways. In a 1925 ad for the new Red Ball Bus Terminal in Indianapolis, Indiana, the company is advertised as B.F. Davis Motor Bus Lines. It is listed in 1927 as B.F. Davis Motor Lines, Inc. It was an intercity operation based in Indianapolis running to Terre Haute, Indiana. It was still operating in 1931.
DAY-BROOK BUS LINES / DAY-BROOK COACH LINES I can find no mention of a Day-Brook Coach Lines in any of my reference works, nor on the Internet. However, I do find info for Day-Brook Bus Lines. That company was a charter service bus company headquartered at 4178 Saylor Street in Dayton, Ohio. Its owner was Dave Duberstein. In addition to a charter service, it held a certificate of operation to provide commuter service between Dayton and Brookville, Ohio, hence the name of the company. The first mention I find of the company is in 1971. By 1978 the company announced it was losing money on the commuter route, but was trying to hold onto its certificate. By 1980 the company seems to have disappeared. The badge is marked “Day Brook Coach Lines” and is made of nickel-plated metal with two threaded posts.
DAYTON-GREENVILLE BUS COMPANY There’s not much info on this company other than it was running in the late 1920s through the 1950s. It is mentioned in the June 19, 1930, edition of The Richmond Item from Richmond, Indiana: “Beginning Thursday of this week, the bus line from Greenville to Richmond, which operates through New Paris, will be taken over by the Dayton-Greenville Bus company. This company now has several buses in operation, and A. J. Wetzel, present owner, who resides in Greenville, made the sale last week of his line.” It is mentioned in January 1943 in a newspaper item about one of its employees. The other mention is in December 1954 when the company is noted as serving the bus terminal in Lima, Ohio, and running between Lima and Fort Wayne, Indiana. The company is not mentioned in the 1930 edition of the Ohio Motor Bus Association, nor the 1935, 1939 edition Russell’s Guide, nor the various issues of relevant MTD.
DAYTON & SOUTHEASTERN LINES was incorporated in 1935 in Jamestown, Ohio. Original route: Dayton-Springfield-Chillicothe. It operated until 1972.
DAYTON STREET RAILWAY COMPANY / DAYTON STREET TRANSIT COMPANY of Dayton, Ohio, built its first streetcar line in 1869. The horse drawn line took 1 hour and 20 minutes to travel from West Third Street at Western Avenue to East Third Street at Findlay Street. The company later electrified its system and, on April 23, 1933, ran its first trolley buses. The company was renamed Dayton Street Transit Company and on April 12, 1941, was sold to City Railway Company. This purchase was followed in 1945 when City Railway Company bought People’s Railway Company. In 1946 City Railway Company was running 55 electric passenger cars over 28 route miles along with 45 trolley buses over 29 route miles and 11 gas-powered buses over 23 route miles. The last streetcar line operating in Dayton, was City Railway Company’s route 1-Third Street, which was converted to trolley buses on September 28, 1947. In 1952 the company was running 6 buses over 122 route miles, and 164 trolley buses over 71 route miles. On November 1, 1955, City Railway Company merged with Dayton & Xenia Railway Company, forming City Transit Company. In 1972 City Transit Company became the publicly owned Miami Valley Regional Transit Authority, which, in 2003, was renamed Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority. (For more history, see the listings under The Oakwood Street Railway Company, People’s Railway Company/People’s Transit Company and Dayton & Xenia Railway Company.)
THE DAYTON SUBURBAN BUS LINES, INC. According to one source, this company’s origins starts with Wolf Brothers Bus Line back in 1929 in Dayton, Ohio. That company was acquired by The Oakwood Street Railway and operated as a bus subsidiary. It was renamed The Dayton Suburban Bus Lines, Inc. In 1946 it ran 19 buses over 17.9 route miles. It shared the same management and facilities as The Oakwood Street Railway Company. In 1956 the company was running 19 buses over 20.3 route miles. The badge is die-pressed and has a single threaded post.
DAYTON & XENIA RAILWAY COMPANY, INC. / DAYTON & XENIA MOTOR BUS COMPANY Dayton & Xenia Railway Company began operating a interurban passenger line between Dayton and Xenia, Ohio, in 1906. In 1937 the company began operating buses as a subsidiary named Dayton & Xenia Motor Bus Company. In 1940 the company replaced its streetcars with trolley buses. In 1946 the company was operating 8 gas buses over 17 route miles; it operated 12 trolley coaches over 5 route miles. In 1955 the company was running 15 buses over 32 route miles; later that year the company merged with City Railway Company and formed City Transit Company. In 1972 City Transit Company became the publicly owned Miami Valley Regional Transit Authority, which, in 2003, was renamed Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority.
DE LUXE MOTOR STAGES / DE LUXE TRAILWAYS De Luxe Motor Stages of Illinois was founded in the 1930s by Ben Kramer and C. J. Villeneuve when they acquired a bus as a result of a bad business deal. The route was from Chicago to St. Louis via Hammond, Indiana, Kankakee, and Decatur, Illinois. By the late 1930s the company had joined the National Trailways System. In 1941 the company had purchased another Trailways member, Empire Trailways, which ran from Chicago to Columbus, Ohio, via Ft. Wayne, Indiana. In 1943 De Luxe Motor Stages also purchased Greenville-Dayton Transportation Company. In 1956 the company was running 14 buses over 640 route miles.
DEAKON-WALTON BUS LINE began operating in October 1919 from Chattanooga, Tennessee, to Dayton, Tennessee.
DEAN OF ITHACA, INC. was a trucking, moving, storage and bus company that was registered in New York on July 3, 1925. It was named for its founder, Harold Dean. In addition to its service, in 1928 the company was advertising parcel delivery. In 1963 it was listed as one of five bus companies operating in Ithaca. The company seems to have been out of business by the 1970s. The company is not listed in the 1946, 1954 nor 1956 MTD.
DEAR STAGE LINES was operating in Taft, California, in 1924; Robert C. Dear was the owner.
DEARBORN COACH COMPANY On January 1, 1932, the licence of Detroit Motorbus Company was revoked by the city Common Council to operate buses in Detroit, Michigan, which forced the company out of business. A group of former Detroit Motorbus Company’s managers formed Lake Shore Coach Lines and acquired their former company’s eastern suburban bus routes. Starting with 52 buses, another group of former employees formed Dearborn Coach Company on February 18, 1932, to take over their former company’s western suburban routes. In 1933 Dearborn Coach Company took over Lincoln Park Bus Company, which it renamed Lincoln Park Coach Company. In 1946 new owners took over Dearborn Coach Company, and operated 132 buses over 222 route miles. In October 1950 the company, and its subsidiary, Lincoln Park Coach Company, were renamed Intertown Suburban Lines Corporation. (See Intertown Suburban Lines, Corporation for more information.) The badge measures 2 ½ ” X 2″ and made of brass with a single threaded post.
DeBolt Lines Inc (Pittsburgh PA) 1959
DECAMP BUS LINES was established as stage coach company by Major Jonathan W. DeCamp in 1870 running a route from Roseland to Newark, New Jersey. The company acquired first motor bus in 1909. In the 1950s it operated the Garden State Bus Lines, in Clifton, New Jersey. DeCamp Bus Lines is still in business. (A detailed history of the company can be found here: DeCamp Company History) The badge is die-pressed, nickel-plated brass with one threaded post, one pin post and measures 2¼” x 1¾”.
DECATUR CITY LINES was operated by National City Lines providing bus service for Decatur, Illinois. In 1936 it succeeded the Illinois Power & Light Co., which ran streetcars in the city. In 1972 it was succeeded by Decatur Public Transit System.
DECATUR ELECTRIC STREET RAILWAY COMPANY succeeded the Decatur Street Railroad Company in 1889 and ran until 1891 serving Decatur, Illinois.
DECATUR PUBLIC TRANSIT SYSTEM is the primary provider of mass transportation in Macon County, Illinois. Fourteen main routes, plus one downtown shuttle using replica trolleys, serve the region. After the removal of streetcars from the city in 1936, the private National City Lines ran the area’s bus services until 1971. Beginning in 1972 DPTS has proved public transit for the city and surrounding communities.
DECATUR RAILWAY & LIGHT COMPANY succeeded the Decatur Traction & Electric Company in Decatur, Illinois. It ran from 1903 until 1904 and was succeeded by the Illinois Traction Company.
DECATUR STREET RAILWAY provided streetcar service in Decatur, Alabama, prior to 1904. It was succeeded by North Alabama Traction Company.
DECATUR STREET RAILROAD COMPANY ran in Decatur, Illinois from 1876 until 1889 when it was taken over by the Decatur Electric Street Railway Company.
DECATUR TRACTION & ELECTRIC COMPANY ran in Decatur, Illinois, from 1900 until 1903 and was succeeded the Decatur Railway & Light Company.
DECATUR TRANSIT, INC. served Decatur, Austinville, Fairview, Priceville and Somerville, Alabama. It was running in the 1940s, and in 1956 it had 10 buses running over 56 route miles. It also was a shipping carrier and ran taxi cabs.
DEEP SPRINGS AUTO STAGE was operating in 1924 out of Bid Pine, California. Abe Ransome was the registered contact.
DEER PARK TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. There’s not much info on this company, other than it was operating out of Jervis, New York, in the mid 1940s. The company is mentioned in the 1946 Mass Transportation’s Directory, with an address at 7 Canal Street. (There no info on the type of operation, fleet numbers or routes. However, judging by later advertisements for the company, it appears to have been a charter bus operation.) In 1948 it is mentioned in a Paterson, New Jersey, newspaper story when one of its buses, driven by Alfred Maillet, Jr. struck a car injuring two teenagers. The company was advertising in 1957 as providing charter buses “for all occasions.” At that time it was still located in Port Jervis. I can find no mention of the company after that date. The badge is nickel-plated brass with one threaded post. It measures 2⅝” x 1⅝”.
Deere Brothers (Pittsburgh PA) 1959
DEFENSE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY When America entered World War II the nation’s defense industry kicked into full production. Tens of thousands of aircraft workers were employed throughout Kansas building planes, and most of those jobs were centered in Wichita. Boeing built the B-29 bombers. Beech Aircraft Company and Cessna Aircraft Company built various military aircraft models. All those workers needed transportation, and the easiest mode was buses. In 1927 Wichita Railroad & Light Company (and its subsidiary, Wichita Motor Bus Company) changed its name to Wichita Transportation Corporation. In 1935 the company discontinued streetcar operations. When America entered World War II, the company the company formed Emergency Transportation, Inc. to run buses from downtown Wichita to the three aircraft production plants. Their service began on July 20, 1942. That same month the City of Wichita City commission granted a franchise to the
Defense Transportation Company. E. H. Toombs, headed this newly-formed company, which augmented the Emergency Transportation, Inc.’s service. Their fare was 10¢. The Defense Transportation Company used school buses and scheduled pick-up stops near schools all over Wichita, as well as picking up passengers at any intersection on the routes to Beech, Cessna and Boeing plants.
By December 1945 the Wichita Transportation Corporation, operating 126 buses, carried 30 million passengers, while the Defense Transportation Company, operating 14 buses, carried 3 million passengers. By April 1947 Emergency Transportation Inc. was still operating, but the Defense Transportation Company seems to have been shut down. Indeed, in September 1945 the company was advertising in local newspapers to sell off “at 25 per cent or more below ceiling prices, a number of 1939, 1940 and 1942 Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge Trucks and buses.” Their address was given as 309 N. Market St., Wichita, Kansas.
There are two known badges for Defense Transportation Company. The first is an old style made of die-pressed nickel with two threaded posts. The second is a nickel-plated brass with two threaded post. Neither have any makers marks.
DELAWARE COACH COMPANY, INC. was originally incorporated as the Wilmington & Philadelphia Traction Company on June 25, 1910 and operated an electric street railway line from Wilmington, Delaware, to Chester, Pennsylvania, and to Philadelphia. The company formed a subsidiary named Southern Pennsylvania Traction Company to lease a number of transportation companies operating in southern Pennsylvania. On August 10, 1922 the Southern Pennsylvania Bus Company was incorporated to run a route from the city of Chester, Pennsylvania to the Delaware State Line, and between the city of Chester and Buckman Village. After trackless trolleys and buses replaced streetcars in 1941 Wilmington & Philadelphia Traction Company changed its name to the Delaware Coach Company. (See Southern Pennsylvania Bus Company for more information.) There are two known badges. The early badge is die pressed, convex shaped, measures about 3 ½” x 1⅝” and was made by Whitehead and Hoag Company of Newark, New Jersey. The later badge is nickel-plated brass, has a threaded post and pin post, and also was made by Whitehead and Hoag Company.
DELAWARE RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY was a intercity bus company that, in 1921, ran a bus line between Delaware City and Wilmington, Delaware. It also ran to Middletown and Odessa, via St. George.
DELEO & SONS STAGE LINE was running a passenger service in Jefferson County, Washington, in 1923. The company was owned by Mike Deleo and sons, Mike & Frank Deleo. They sold out in May 1926 to Wolverton Auto Bus Company.
DELTA BUS COMPANY, INC. The company was running in the 1960s, and incorporated in 1966. It was operating out of Saginaw, Michigan, and mostly ran a charter service. It was owned by Stanley Cupp, who also owned Valley Coach Lines, Inc., Mercury Bus Lines of Bay City and Cupp’s Schoolway Lines.
DELTA MOTOR COACHES served Parkin, Earl, Neuhardt, Hughes, West Memphis, Forrest City, Widener, Madison, Turrell and Crawfordsville, Arkansas, and Memphis Tennessee. The badge shown here is made of brass and cloisonné and has two threaded posts. In 1946 the company ran 4 buses over 246 route miles.
DeLUXE MOTOR STAGES, INC. was founded by Frank Arquillo in June 1929 in Detriot, Michigan. In the 1950s it was running from Plymouth, Michagan to downtown Detriot. In 1956 it ran 24 buses over 554 route miles.
De LUXE [Deluxe] MOTOR STAGES of ILLINOIS, INC. / DE LUXE TRAILWAYS was founded by Ben Kramer and C. J. Villeneuve when they acquired a bus as a result of a bad business deal. The route was from Chicago to St. Louis via Hammond, Indiana, Kankakee, and Decatur, Illinois. By the late 1930s the company had joined the National Trailways System. In 1941 the company had purchased another Trailways member, Empire Trailways, which ran from Chicago to Columbus, Ohio via Ft. Wayne, Indiana. In 1943 De Luxe Motor Stages also purchased Greenville-Dayton Transportation Company. In 1956 it was running 14 buses over 640 route miles. The DELUXE MOTOR STAGES DEPOT was located at 746 S. Wabash Ave. in downtown Chicago. The badge is nickel-plated with enamel paint and a single threaded post.
THE DENCO LINE, based in Hugo, Oklahoma. The badge was made by Hook-Fast, Providence, R.I., single threaded post.
DENVER-COLORADO SPINGS-PUEBLO MOTORWAY, INC. From Jon’s Trailways History Corner: “DCSP Motorway’s ownership was divided amongst three parties. Rio Grande Motorway owned 50%, the Colorado & Southern Railway (subsidiary of the Burlington [Northern Railroad]) who owned 25% and I. B. James, owner of Denver Interurban Bus Co., who operated locally between Denver and Boulder. In 1935 the Burlington bought out James’ interest giving them 50% interest balancing the Rio Grande’s 50% and James became general manager of the entire Burlington bus operation. Originally, DCSP only operated as far south as Pueblo, but in 1929, Southern Colorado Motor Way was purchased giving DCSP routes from Pueblo to Walsenburg and also from Pueblo to Canyon City and Pueblo to La Junta. With this route structure, DCSP would operate into the late 50’s.”
DENVER & CROWN HILL RAILWAY COMPANY ran a passenger bus line from Denver Colorado, to Crown Hill Cemetery in 1928-1929.
DENVER & INTERURBAN MOTOR COMPANY / DENVER & INTERURBAN TRAILWAYS The history of this company begins with the Colorado & Southern Railway, which, in 1904, organized the Denver & Interurban Railroad to run between Denver and Boulder, Colorado. Facing stiff competition from independent jitney operators, in 1926 the Colorado & Southern Railway’s subsidiary, Denver & Interurban Motor Company, applied to the Colorado Public Utilities Commission to operate a passenger and express motor transportation line from Denver to Boulder, Colorado, and Eldorado Springs, Colorado. The commission granted the application on March 7, 1927. Thereafter, the Colorado & Southern Railway discontinued the Denver & Interurban Railroad electric cars in favor of the Denver & Interurban Motor Company. By 1930 the company was operating 10 buses. The company joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1938 as the Denver & Interurban Trailways. It is listed in the 1939 Russell’s Guide with T. L. James as superintendent. According to one source, the Trailways routes were transferred to Burlington Trailways in 1942.
DENVER-LIMON BUS LINES was operating in 1927 out of Denver, Colorado. It transferred its certificate of operation to The Paradox Land and Transport Co. on July 30, 1927.
DENVER-COLORADO SPRINGS-PUEBLO MOTOR WAY / DENVER-COLORADO SPRINGS-PUEBLO TRAILWAYS Denver-Colorado Springs-Pueblo Motor Way was formed in 1926 as a subsidiary of the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. It joined Trailways in 1936 and was operating between Denver, Colorado, and Trinidad. In August 1947 American Bus Lines, Inc. announced a consolidation of 19 bus companies: American Bus Lines, Inc., Burlington Trailways, Continental Trailways, Crescent Trailways, Dixie-Sunshine Trailways, Denver-Colorado Springs-Pueblo Trailways, Denver-Salt Lake-Pacific Trailways, Eastern Trailways, Georgia Trailways, Indiana Railroad, Mo-Ark Trailways, Modern Trailways, Mucatine-Davenport and Clinton Bus Company, Pony Express, Service Stages, Southeastern Greyhound Lines, Santa Fe Trailways, Utah-Idaho Central Railroad and West Coast Trailways. At the time American Bus Lines was engaged in a lawsuit with Pacific Greyhound and Southern Pacific Railroad for equal rights on Pacific Coast highways. In 1948 the company was sold to Transcontinental Bus System / Continental Trailways.
DENVER – SALT LAKE-PACIFIC STAGES / DENVER – SALT LAKE – PACIFIC TRAILWAYS Denver-Salt Lake-Pacific Stages was formed in 1935 as a subsidiary of Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad. It joined Trailways in 1936, operating between Denver and Salt Lake City via Steamboat Springs, Colorado. In August 1947 American Buslines, Inc. [sic] announced a consolidation of 19 bus companies: American Buslines, Inc., [sic] Burlington Trailways, Continental Trailways, Crescent Trailways, Dixie-Sunshine Trailways, Denver-Colorado Springs-Pueblo Trailways, Denver-Salt Lake-Pacific Trailways, Eastern Trailways, Georgia Trailways, Indiana Railroad, Mo-Ark Trailways, Modern Trailways, Mucatine-Davenport and Clinton Bus Company, Pony Express, Service Stages, Southeastern Greyhound Lines, Santa Fe Trailways, Utah-Idaho Central Railroad and West Coast Trailways. At the time American Bus Lines was engaged in a lawsuit with Pacific Greyhound and Southern Pacific Railroad for equal rights on Pacific Coast highways. In 1948 the company was sold to Transcontinental Bus System / Continental Trailways.
THE DENVER & STEAMBOAT SPRINGS STAGE COMPANY ran from Denver, Colorado, to Steamboat Springs, Colorado in the 1930s.
DTC / DENVER TRAMWAY / THE DENVER CITY TRAMWAY COMPANY / THE DENVER TRAMWAY COMPANY / THE DENVER TRAMWAY CORPORATION The Denver Tramway Company, operating in Denver, Colorado, was a streetcar system incorporated in 1886. The name “tramway” was unusual in the United States, and it is not known why company organizers chose the name. By 1893, the owners of the Denver Tramway Company consolidated their two nominally independent companies—the Denver Tramway Company, which served Denver proper, and the Metropolitan Railway Company, which served the suburbs—into The Denver Consolidated Tramway Company. It was the Silver Crash of 1893 that forced consolidation of four companies into The Denver City Tramway Company. (The four companies represented thirteen companies from previous mergers.) In 1924 the first Denver Tramway bus/trolley service began operating as a subsidiary.
In the 1920s The Denver Tramway Company operated as a holding company and ran bus lines as subsidiaries to avoid complicating their franchise agreements with the city of Denver, Colorado. The subsidiaries operated under revocable permits issued by the city. The first subsidiary was the Englewood & Fort Logan Bus Company, which was formed in 1924 and connected the end of streetcar Rt. 3 in Englewood with the Veterans Administration facilities at Fort Logan. The second was the Fitzsimons Bus & Taxi Company, which connected Fitzsimons Army Hospital with downtown Denver along Colfax, 17th, and 18th Avenues. It was purchased by the Denver Tramway Company in 1929 and operated as a subsidiary until it was dissolved in 1943. A third subsidiary, Bus Transportation Company, was formed by the Tramway Company in 1927. It was absorbed into the Denver Tramway Company in 1933. During the 1940s The Denver Tramway Corporation, a subsidiary of The Denver Tramway Company, became a holding company for The Denver & Inter-Mountain Railway Company. By that time the Denver Tramway Corporation was operating buses as both local and intercity lines in Denver, Aurora, Englewood and Golden, Colorado.
In 1950 The Denver Tramway Corporation ran its last streetcars. In 1960 the company was operating 274 buses over 502 route miles.
From 1969 to 1971, the Denver Tramway Company continued service for the city and county of Denver. In 1971 the Denver Tramway Company transferred all of its assets to the city-owned Denver Metro Transit. In July 1974 Denver Metro Transit became part of the Regional Transportation District (RTD), the entity created to operate public transit services in eight of the twelve counties in the Denver-Boulder area.
There are several different known badges for the above companies, which are shown below.
DEPARTMENT OF STREET RAILWAYS / DETROIT STREET RAILWAYS / DSR The history of this company dates back to 1863 to Detroit City Railways Company. Between its founding and 1890, the company acquired several competing streetcar companies in Detroit, Michigan. It was reorganized in 1890 as Detroit Street Railway Company, and was sold in 1891 to Detroit Citizens Street Railway Company. In 1901 that company was merged into Detroit United Railway. The formation of the Department of Street Railways is told by Detroit Transit History.info: “In 1921, the City of Detroit launched its own separate street railway operation to compete with the privately-owned Detroit United Railway Company (DUR). After voter approval of various ballot proposals, the Municipal Operation (as it is often called) was able to expand and eventually take-over sections of DUR track, including downtown portions of two lines where the franchises had expired. Facing a future loss of additional trackage—with 54.5-miles of franchises due to expire in 1924—it was becoming evident that time was running out for the DUR. On March 13, 1922, the DUR decided to sell its city lines to the City of Detroit for $19,850,000. Beginning May 15, 1922, the city owned-and-operated Department of Street Railways (DSR) took-over all street railway operations within the city of Detroit, and in the suburbs of Highland Park, Hamtramck, and Springwells (Dearborn).”
The Department of Street Railways added bus service in 1925 when it created the Motorbus Division. In 1930 the DSR began operating trolley buses. At the height of its operation in 1941, the DSR operated 20 streetcar lines with 910 streetcars. On April 8, 1956, DSR’s last remaining streetcar line—Woodward Avenue—was converted to diesel bus operation. In 1974 the Department of Street Railways was taken over by the Detroit Department of Transportation, or DDOT. There are three badges shown. The first badge measures approx. 2 ½” x 1½”, was made by Metal Arts Company, Inc., Rochester, N.Y., and has one threaded post and one pin post. (This is pre-1940.) The second badge is reproduced from a 1944 photograph of a bus driver’s hat, and appears to be made of bakelite. The third badge was issued by the Detroit Department of Transportation, or DDOT. It is green and white enamel on metal, has one threaded post and one pin post. It measures approx. 2¾” x 1½”.
DEPOT MOTOR BUS LINE was in operating in Chicago, Illinois, in 1921. It was one of three motorbus companies that merged to form Chicago Motor Coach Company (i.e., Chicago Motor Bus Company, Chicago Stage Company and Depot Motor Bus Line). In 1922 Chicago Motor Coach Company was purchased by John D. Hertz, of Yellow Cab Company fame. Hertz merged Chicago Motor Coach and Fifth Avenue Motor Coach Corporation of New York in 1924 and thereby created Omnibus Corporation. In 1952 Chicago Motor Coach Company was taken over by Chicago Transit Authority.
DERKUM STAGE LINES was operating in the mid 1920s out of Bakersfield, California. Paul Derkum was the owner / operator.
DSR See Department of Street Railways.
DES MOINES SPRINGFIELD & SOUTHERN STAGES / DES MOINES SPRINGFIELD & SOUTHERN ROUTE This company was operating in the 1940s out of Sedalia, Missouri, in the Terry Hotel. It was owned and operated by Arnold B. Fletcher (1897-1970) and served the Sedalia Air Base at Knob Noster, Missouri (now Whiteman Air Force Base). In March 1951 Fletcher bought Ozark Trailways from A. W. Shepherd. By 1957 the company was operating 19 buses over 587 route miles and served Sioux City, Des Moines, Iowa; Sedalia and Springfield, Missouri. It controlled Ozark Trails, Inc. operating out of Springfield, Missouri.
DES PLAINES MOTOR COACH LINE was founded in Des Plaines, Illinois, in 1927 and ran between Des Plaines, Illinois, and Jefferson Park, Chicago. The company was bought out by United Motor Coach Company in 1930.
DETROIT BUS COMPANY ran 70 buses in Detroit, Michigan, in 1921.
DETROIT-CHICAGO MOTOR BUS COMPANY, INC. was founded by Walter Nisun prior to 1927. In that year the company operated buses from Detroit to Chicago, from Chicago to St. Louis and from St. Louis to Kansas City, Kansas. After several legal confrontations in 1928 with Greyhound Lines, Inc. involving route disputes, which Greyhound won, the company failed in 1929. (Nisun also founded Sunny South Lines, NiSun Bus Lines and NiSun Lines, Ltd.)
DETROIT MOTORBUS COMPANY / DETROIT MOTOR BUS COMPANY was organized in 1919 in Detroit, Michigan, by Herbert Y. McMullen. The company began its operations in 1920 with a fleet of ten double-decker buses built by Fifth Avenue Coach Company. However, unlike the Detroit United Railway, which had operated its streetcars through multi-year franchise agreements with the city of Detroit, the Common Council gave the Detroit Motorbus Company (DMB) a license to operate its service through day-to-day revocable permits, which meant that the city could cancel the company’s license at any time. On May 15, 1922, Detroit United Railway sold its Detroit streetcar system to the city of Detroit, which operated the system as the Department of Street Railways, or DSR. This new municipal ownership would eventually prove fatal for Detroit Motorbus Company, which is explained in Detroit Transit History: Detroit Motor Bus Company:
“Surprisingly though, [Detroit Motor Bus Company’s] relationship with the city–owned DSR was rather friendly at first, with the DMB even providing service periodically on behalf of the city. . . . By 1930, Detroit Motorbus was operating with a fleet of 395 buses, over a network of both city and suburban bus routes. However, the company’s relationship with the City of Detroit would soon change.
“The arrival of the Great Depression years which followed 1929 began to take its toll on the city-owned DSR system. As factories closed, and patronage and revenues declined, the city was forced to place a number of its buses and streetcars into storage. To make matters worse, while most of the DSR buses traveled routes in the outlying and more thinly settled districts of the city, the Motorbus Company buses served more densely populated areas. It was even reported that the 350-plus buses of the DMB carried as many passengers as the almost six-hundred buses of the DSR. Consequently, with the municipal system facing financial difficulties the Common Council ordered the DMB to scale down a number of its competitive routes . . .
“In March of 1931, a number of Common Council members decided that instead of raising the fare to resolve the DSR’s financial problems, a take-over of the Motorbus Company’s routes might be a better solution, and instructed the Street Railway Commission to study the issue and report within thirty days. The Commission reported in favor of the acquisition and was authorized by the Council to begin negotiations with the company. In July the DMB offered to sell to the city the buses and garages needed to operate its city routes for $1,630,000, but the counter offer of $1,200,000 from the city was turned down. Negotiations between the Commission and the DMB would continue on during the summer and fall of 1931, but would fail to produce an agreement.
“Meanwhile, after the DSR’s receipts dropped by $2.5 million in 1931, Mayor Frank Murphy (1930-1933) declared that “there had been enough delay” and the time had come to act. Murphy felt it was time to complete what Hazen Pingree and James Couzens had begun by removing from Detroit streets the sole remaining private competitor of the DSR. In a hearing before the Council, Mayor Murphy declared, “If municipal ownership is to survive in Detroit, it must be municipal ownership only, one system over all our streets.” The mayor had apparently turned the tide in favor of an ouster, as the Council finally decided it must order the Detroit Motorbus Company off the streets of Detroit.
“On December 22, 1931, the Common Council voted to revoke the Detroit Motorbus Company’s day-to-day license to operate within the city of Detroit, effective on the close of business on December 31, 1931. As a result, effective Friday, January 1, 1932, the city-owned DSR became the sole provider of both street railway and motor coach operations within the city of Detroit. The Detroit Motorbus Company, for the most part, had been put out of business.”
After the city of Detroit put the Detroit Motorbus Company out of business and took over its routes, some former Detroit Motorbus Company’s managers formed the Lake Shore Coach Lines and acquired the former company’s eastern suburban bus routes. Another group of former Detroit Motorbus Company employees formed Dearborn Coach Company and acquired their former company’s western suburban routes. (In 1933 Dearborn Coach Company took over Lincoln Park Bus Company, which it renamed Lincoln Park Coach Company. In October 1950 the company, and its subsidiary, Lincoln Park Coach Company, were renamed Intertown Suburban Lines Corporation.)
DETROIT STREET RAILWAYS See Department of Street Railways.
DETROIT, TOLEDO & CLEVELAND BUS COMPANY ran in 1927 in Cleveland, Ohio.
DETROIT & TOLEDO TRACKLESS COACH COMPANY operated between Detroit, Michigan, and Toledo, Ohio, in the early 1920s. It was acquired in 1927 by the Detroit United Railway Company and consolidated into Highway Motorbus Company.
DETROIT-TOLEDO TRANSPORTATION COMPANY operated between Detroit, Michigan, and Toledo, Ohio. It was founded in the early 1920s by Ralph A.L.Bogan (one of the founders of The Greyhound Corporation). In 1923 Bogan used the brand name, trade name, or service name of the Blue Goose Lines. It was purchased in late 1924 by the Detroit United Railway and consolidated into newly acquired subsidiary Highway Motorbus Co. In 1927, two bus companies, Interstate Stages and Detroit and Toledo Trackless Coach Co., were acquired by Detroit United Railway and consolidated into Highway Motorbus Co.
DETROIT UNITED RAILWAY COMPANY A January 1, 1901, New Times article reported: “LANSING, Mich., Dec. 31 — Articles of association of the Detroit United Railway Company [DUR], capitalized at $12,500,000 were filed with the Secretary of State here to-day, together with o franchise fee of $6,000. The new company will take out the franchises and property of the Detroit Electric Street Railway.”According to Wikipeida, “Detroit United Railway Company was a transport company which operated numerous streetcar and interurban lines in southeast Michigan. Although many of the lines were originally built by different companies, they were consolidated under the control of the Everett-Moore syndicate, a Cleveland-based group of investors. The company incorporated on December 31, 1900, and continued to expand into the early 1920s through new construction and the acquisition of smaller concerns. After the DUR acquired the Detroit-Jackson line in 1907, it operated more than 400 miles of interurban lines and 187 miles of street city street railway lines. Beginning in 1922, however, the DUR began a process of devolution when it sold the local Detroit, Michigan streetcar system to the city, under the management of the Department of Street Railways (DSR). The company continued to abandon or sell properties throughout the 1920s; on September 26, 1928, the remainder was reorganized as the Eastern Michigan Railways.”
In 1924 the Detroit United Railway Company formed the People’s Motor Coach Company. Dr. D. B. Rushing, in his Bluehounds and Redhounds the History of Greyhound and Trailways, article Great Lakes Greyhound, writes: “The purpose of the new concern was to enable its parent firm, a railway business, to reduce its operating costs and expenses and to strengthen its competitive position against an increasing number of rivals operating buses on the developing and improving roads. . . . During the following years the [People’s Motor Coach Company] developed an extensive bus system, mostly by the acquisition of existing smaller companies, operating along both suburban and intercity routes.”
In 1928 the Detroit United Railway Company was renamed Eastern Michigan Railways, and on September 17, 1928, the People’s Motor Coach Company was incorporated and renamed Eastern Michigan Motorbuses, Inc., and used the trade name “Blue Goose Lines“, along with the image of a blue goose, for all its intercity routes. In 1931 the Eastern Michigan Railways went into its second and final bankruptcy and reorganization. In 1936 the company bought out Great Lakes Motor Bus Company, which it then operated as a subsidiary. In 1941 The Greyhound Corporation bought out Great Lakes Motor Bus Company and renamed it Great Lakes Greyhound Lines. (For more information, see Eastern Michigan Motorbuses, Inc. and Great Lakes Greyhound Lines.)
DICKINSON MOTOR COACH LINES / L.D. DICKINSON MOTOR COACH LINES / L.D. DICKSON BUS LINES / DICKINSON BUS LINES was founded by Leonard D. Dickinson and was based in Owego, New York. The company can be found in records under all the above company names. This April 20, 1938, record revels the company’s origin: “Dickinson, L. D., Motor Coach Lines. No. MC-50199, Leonard D. Dickinson [doing business as L. D. Dickinson Motor Coach Lines] common carrier application; decided Apr. 20, 1938.” The company ran routes from Owego to Sayre, Pennsylvania, a distance of some 15 miles. It also served Elmira, New York, a distance of some 19 miles. It is mentioned in a newspaper article of June 10, 1937 as having been ordered by the Interstate Commerce Commission to cease picking up passengers between Sayre and Elmira. In 1956 the company was operating under the name Dickinson Motor Coach Lines and running 13 buses over 107 route miles serving Binghamton, Ithaca, Owego, Waverly, Endicott, Johnson City and Elmira. The November 11, 1959, edition of the Kingston Daily Freeman from Kingston, New York carried this story about the company’s demise: “The State Public Service Commission approved today the sale of the L. D. Dickinson Motor Coach Lines of Owego for $15,000 to the Capitol Bus, Co. Inc., of Harrisburg. Pa. The transaction, however, hinges on approval by the Interstate Commerce Commission of Dickinson turning over its interstate operating rights to Capitol for an additional $20,000. . . . The PSC said the Dickinson line had been operated since early this year by the estate of its founder. The heirs no longer want to stay in the business, the PSC said.”
DILEO BUS LINE ran in Nassau Co., N.Y., was in business in 1952 and served Baldwin Harbor, Freeport, Merrick, Bellmore and Wantagh.
DISNEYLAND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY is a bus line that runs in Disneyland (now Disneyland Park) in Anaheim, California. Disneyland opened in July 1955 and among its many theme rides were a bus company, steam railroad, a horse-drawn streetcar and (in 2010) a trolley line. The buses operated in the Disneyland Transportation Company included a ⅝ scale doubledecker Omnibus, and a smaller antique bus with room for five passengers. The buses are operated on a one-way line along Main Street, U.S.A. The bus conductors/drivers wear an old-fashioned uniform with a hat and, until the 1990s, a badge. The badges are made of metal with two slots for fasteners; they are curved with the words “Disneyland Conductor” stamped on the front along with an outline of the Magic Kingdom. (See Red Car Trolley for more information.)
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA TRANSIT / D.C. TRANSIT In 1933 all Washington, D.C., streetcars were brought under one company, Capital Transit Company. The streetcars began to scale back with the rising popularity of the automobile and pressure to switch to buses. In 1956 Capital Transit Company, which was owned by Lewis E. Wolfson, had its franchise revoked by the U.S. Congress, was purchased on August 15, 1956, for $13.5 million by O. Roy Chalk, who renamed the company DC Transit System. Chalk had explicit instructions by Congress to switch to buses. The system was dismantled in the early 1960s and the last streetcar ran on January 28, 1962. In 1964 DC Transit bought out Alexandria, Barcroft and Washington Transit Company, although the company continued to operate under its own name–WV&M Coach Co.
On November 6, 1966 President Lyndon Johnson signed a bill creating the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA). The governors of Maryland and Virginia signed November 17 and the commissioners of the District of Columbia signed on November 22. On October 21, 1972, President Richard Nixon signed a bill authorizing WMATA to acquire the metropolitan area’s four privately owned bus companies. On January 14, 1973, WMATA purchased D.C. Transit, Inc. and WV&M Coach Co. (Washington, Virginia & Maryland Coach Company, Inc.) for $38.2 million. On February 4 WMATA purchased AB&W Transit Co. for $10.7 million and WMA Transit Co. (Washington Marlboro & Annapolis Transit Company) for $4.5 million, thereby creating Metrobus system. (It is worth noting that O. Roy Chalk rejected Metro’s offer of $32.2 million, but WMATA condemned the company and took full control of the 2,000-bus fleet at 2:01 a.m. on Sunday January 14, 1973, with the statement that a court would settle the purchase amount. In the end, the court approved the original offer of $32.2 million offered by WMATA.)
On January 15, 1973, the Associated Press reported: “[Metro] plans to sink $50 million into an improvement program designed to offer better service than its predecessors, which have been losing riders even as the community’s population doubled in 15 years. Metro has proclaimed ‘a promising new era,’ but for the present all the old routes and schedules will be maintained and fare will stay the same except for the 15-cent senior-citizens fare that will be extended from six to seven days a week and applied for the first time to WV&M routes. ‘Metrobus’ decals will be emblazoned on the sides of about 100 buses, and all vehicles will fly red, white, blue and black ‘Metro’ pennants; leaflets and posters will inform passengers of the public takeover — and ask for their patience.”
The first badge for this company was made of brass and enamel with one threaded post and a pin post at the wing tip. It measures approx. 2½” x 1″. The second badge appears to be made of plastic and measures approx. 2″ x 3″.
DIVISION AVENUE BUS LINE, INC. The company’s founding dates to 1929, as noted in the January 11, 1929 edition of the Battle Creek Enquirer from Battle Creek, Michigan, when it applied for a franchise to run from Grand Rapids to Cutlerville. The company operated between Grand Rapids, Clyde Park, Godwin Heights, Home Acres and Cutlerville, Michigan. In 1946 it operated 12 buses over 18 route miles. In 1956 it ran 24 buses over 40 route miles. In April I960, City Coach Lines acquired the Division Avenue Bus Line.
DIXIE COACH LINE was operating through northern Kentucky in the 1920s. In 1929 it was merged into the newly-formed Mason & Dixon Transit, Inc., which took over several other bus companies in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. The company continued operating under its own name.
DIXIE COACH LINES, INC. was incorporated on December 13, 1930, in Anniston, Alabama by Fred Bert Caudle (b. April 15, 1880 in Indiana). Caudle moved to Anniston in 1922 where he organized Dixie Stage Lines, which in its day became the largest bus company in Alabama. After selling Dixie Stage Lines to Avery Austin Crow on November 1, 1930, Caudle incorporated a new bus company, as noted in the December 4, 1930, edition of the Anniston Star from Anniston, Alabama: “The Dixie Coach Lines, Inc.. a sister company to the Dixie Stage Lines, Inc., has been formed here and papers of incorporation were filed in the Calhoun County Pro bate office Thursday. The capital stock of the new concern was placed at $115,000 with Fred B. Caudle, Mrs. Lottie Caudle and C. Z. Hicks as the incorporators. Mr. Caudle is president, Mrs. Caudle is vice president and Mr, Hicks is secretary-treasurer. The new concern will operate passenger and freight lines between Birmingham and Atlanta and intermediate points, while the Dixie Stage Lints, the older organization, will operate its lines to Montgomery, Gadsden, Huntsville and other points in Alabama.” It is interesting to note that a little over two months later the local paper was calling the new company by the old name: February 11, 1931, “O. M. Gruber today was performing his new duties as general manager of the Dixie Stage Lines, Inc.; to which he was promoted from auditor Tuesday. Mr. Gruber came to Anniston July in the employee of the Greyhound Lines, but soon became affiliated with the local concern which is headed by Fred B. Caudle. Mr. Gruber is a native of Washington and was a member of the class of 1917 at the United States Naval Academy. He served in the I World War and later went, to Atlanta, where he became connected with the Greyhound Lines as bus driver. He was promoted from time to time until he became assistant superintendent of transportation“
DIXIE MOTOR COACH CORPORATION / DIXIE SUNSHINE TRAILWAYS Alva Pearl Barrett incorporated Dixie Motor Coach Corporation in 1928 and operated between Dallas, Ft. Worth and Ardmore, Oklahoma; Dallas and Durant, Oklahoma; Dallas, Greenville and Texarkana; Wichita Falls and Texarkana. Since Barrett bought the company, we may assume it was an operating business prior to that year. (In 1928 Barrett also owned Texas Air Transport, Inc. and two Texas radio stations, KTAT in Fort Worth and KTSA in San Antonio.) He sold the corporation to Auble W. Ritter and brother Christopher C. Riter in 1933, who owned Sunshine Bus Lines, Inc. of Terrell, Texas. The brothers combined operations and moved to Dallas, Texas, since Dixie Motor Coach had a large shop already established there—about 35 miles away. (The two companies continued to be operated as separate lines.) Sunshine Bus Lines, Inc. and Dixie Motor Coach Corporation both joined Trailways in 1937 and remained in the association until 1945. In 1939 Auble Riter, Sr. sold his companies to Joseph P. Kittrell (1870-1950), who had acted as vice president of Sunshine Bus Lines, Inc. The Kittrell family sold out in 1945 and the new owners made application to merge the two corporations into one. Soon afterwards the ICC authorized Dixie Motor Coach Corporation to purchase the stock of Sunshine Bus Lines, Inc. and to change the name to Dixie-Sunshine Trailways. In 1946 Dixie Sunshine Trailways acquired Airline Motor Coaches Company, which during 1940’s was a Trailways member operating under name Airline Motor Trailways. In 1948 Dixie Motor Coach was sold to Transcontinental Bus System / Continental Trailways. (See Sunshine Trailways for more detailed information.) Three badges are shown below, the earlier one has two threaded posts and measures about 3″ in length. The second badge has two threaded posts and was made by WHITEHEAD – HOAG CO. NEWARK NEW JERSEY. (See the entry under “DMC” for an early badge that may have been issued by this company.)
DIXIE MOTOR COACH LINE was operating in the mid 1920s in Charlotte, North Carolina. Guy J. Shields, president.
DIXIE SAFETY COACH LINE, INC. According to David Steinburg’s history of Chattanooga, Tennessee, bus companies, Dixie Safety Coach Line, Inc. was founded in the 1920s by Captain Gordon Roper of Atlanta, Georgia. Advertised as the “Peach Belt Line”, the company originally ran between Atlanta, Macon and Griffin, Georgia. It would later add Chattanooga, Tennessee to its schedule. In 1928 the company was sold to the Motor Coach Corporation, which renamed the company Greyhound Lines of Georgia. (Motor Coach Corporation was renamed The Greyhound Corporation in 1929.) The Greyhound Corporation changed Greyhound Lines of Georgia’s name to the Southeastern Greyhound Lines in 1931 to reflect the company’s southern and eastern expansions. That same year the Consolidated Coach Corporation acquired Southeastern Greyhound Line and used it to acquire the Florida Greyhound Lines, which was originally called the Florida Motor Lines. Consolidated Coach Corporation continued to operated the company under the name “Southeastern Greyhound Lines.” (Indeed, Consolidated Coach Corp. used the name for all their buses, including the use of the Greyhound running dog logo, paint scheme and advertising. However, under the name “Southeastern Greyhound Lines” on their buses and advertising, they included “Consolidated Coach Corp.” in small letters.) In 1950 The Greyhound Corporation purchased 100% of Southeastern Greyhound Lines.
DIXIE STAGE LINES, INC. Fred Bert Caudle, who was born on April 15, 1880, in Indiana, moved to Anniston, Alabama in 1922 . In 1928 in Anniston he organized Dixie Stage Lines, which in its day became the largest bus company in Alabama, running a route from Montgomery to Mobile, Alabama and from Montgomery to Meridian, Mississippi. On November 1, 1930 he sold the company to Avery Austin Crow, who had been a partner in the Alabama Bus Company of Birmingham. (That company was sold in 1929 to Teche Greyhound Lines.) Crow changed the name of the company to Capital Motor Lines: “On December 18, 1930 [Avery Crow] incorporated Capital Motor Lines with its principal office in Montgomery. By 1934, Capital Motor Lines had expanded service to three daily trips to Meridian, Mississippi and three round trips to Mobile with additional trips daily to Florala, Alabama (just north of the Florida-Alabama state line) and Pensacola, Florida. . . . By 1937, the Florence to Decatur line was extended to Huntsville, Alabama and Chattanooga, Tennessee. On May 1, 1938, Capital Motor Lines was accepted as a member of the recently formed National Trailways Bus System. This made it one of the early companies to join. Buses were then painted with the Trailways livery and operations were conducted under the name Capital Trailways.” (Information from the National Bus Trader / August, 2008 article “Capital Trailways and Colonial Trailways” NOTE: there are two sources on the Net that claim Dixie Stage Lines became Crescent Trailways. Neither have any source material for their claim, whereas the article cited here has been thoroughly researched.)
After selling Dixie Stage Lines to Avery Austin Crow on November 1, 1930, Fred B. Caudle incorporated a new bus company the following month: Dixie Coach Lines, Inc.
DIXIE TRACTION COMPANY In 1915, J. W. Bentler began operating a bus line to Erlanger, Ky., connecting with the Ft. Mitchell streetcar line. That line failed in 1918, but in 1922 Dixie Traction Co. began operating buses in that area. The company originally considered using trolleybuses, thus “Traction” in its name. Through service into Covington and Cincinnati began in 1925, competing with the CINCINNATI NEWPORT & COVINGTON RAILWAY streetcar line. In 1926 F. Walton Dempsey of Erlanger, Ky. and Congressman A. B. Rouse acquired the Dixie Traction Co. to provide public bus service between Erlanger and Elsmere and the streetcar end-of-the-line in Ft. Mitchell. According to a February 1, 1959, article in The Cincinnati Enquirer from Cincinnati, Ohio, the Cincinnati, Newport & Covington Railway acquired the Dixie Traction Company in 1939. “20 YEARS AGO In Cincinnati: A dispatch from Washington announced that the Interstate Commerce Commission had approved the Cincinnati, Newport and Covington Railway to acquire the Black Diamond Stages, Inc., Ft. Thomas, Ky., and the Dixie Traction Co., Erlanger Ky. The railway, popularly known as the Green Line operated streetcar and bus lines between Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky.” The Dixie Traction Company ran until 1955.
DONNER LAKE-TRUCKEE AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of San Francisco, California. W.B. Gelatt was the owner.
DORRIS STAGE & FREIGHT LINE was operating in 1924 out of Forest, California. R.D. Dorris was the owner/operator.
DORSEY BUS COMPANY, INC. / DORSEY BUS, INC. This company had its start in the early-mid 1930s in Polk County, Oregon. The owners were Dean M. And Edna June Dorsey, who lived in Corvallis. (Dean Dorsey would go on to become the mayor of Corvallis.) Over the years Dorsey Bus Company was a charter bus service, a school bus service, an intercity bus service and a city bus service. The school bus routes included Dallas, Pedee and Perrydale, Oregon. In 1946 the company was operating 6 buses between Corvallis and Albany. After the cancellation of Albany Street Railway Company’s streetcar service in Albany, Oregon, in 1952, Dorsey Bus Company took over city service there. By 1957 the company was operating 12 buses over 235 route miles. In February 1981 Dorsey Bus Company operated a city bus service in Corvallis under a contract with the city’s Corvallis Transit System. By 1978 Murray Dorsey was the owner and general manager of the company. By the 2000s the Dorsey Bus Company operated a school bus service for Corvallis Transit System. The badge pictured below is made of metal with enamel and appears to date from the 1960s.
DOS PALOS PASSENGER & FREIGHT LINE was operating in 1924 in Dos Palos, California; Carl S. Painter was the owner.
DOTHAN BUS COMPANY ran in Dothan, Alabama, in the 1940s and 1950s. In 1946 the company served the city of Dothan and the communities of Ashford, Columbia, Hodgesville, Webb and Green Front, Alabama. There’s not much info on this company. Here’s one item from a March 2, 1947, newspaper article: “The Addition of Five New, Modern Buses The Dothan Bus Company is today is proud of its new fleet, and, we think, justly so, because it means to us another step towards a goal we set for ourselves the day we began operations—as good bus service for the people of Dothan as could be gotten anywhere in the world. It has not been easy to locate this new equipment, nor to get delivery in this day of shortages, but we are happy to say that our new busses are here, and in operation for the people of Dothan. We sincerely hope our patrons will find increased comfort, safety, and efficiency as a result of their modern construction and design. Now, may we take this opportunity to thank the people for their patronage and ask their cooperation towards greater strides. Andrew M. Enfinger, Mgr., Dothan Bus Co.” In August 1956 the company president, Ben May, informed the city of Dothan that he would be closing the first of October due to financial losses.
DOTHAN-EUFAULA BUS LINE This company has its origins in 1916 when E. C. Cumbie began transporting passengers from Dothan to Eufaula, Alabama, in a five-passenger Model-T Ford. He called the company the Dothan-Eufaula Bus Line. The next year John H. Burswell bought out the company selling it one year later. The company changed hands several more times, with Grady Wise, who expanded service with a ten-passenger REO bus, W. A. Caton, A. W. Lee and O. L. Harrison each taking their turn as owners. In 1930 Elizabeth “Bessie” Bennett Andress (1884-1946) bought the nearly bankrupt company from O. L. Harrison. (Andress’ husband, William Lee Andress, owner of W. L . Andress Motor Company, died from injuries in an auto accident on February 22, 1929, at age 45.) With the sale came two seven-passenger Buick automobiles, one 15-passenger Studebaker, one 15-passenger Buick Flexible and the right to transport passeners.
On June 3, 1930, Alaga Couch Lines was incorporated, with headquartered in Dothan, Alabama. Mrs. Andress, the principal stockholder, renamed the DOTHAN-EUFAULA BUS LINE to Alaga Coach Lines, Inc., due to the fact that it was running routes in both Alabama and Georgia. In 1949 Alaga Couch Lines, Inc. was bought out by Southeastern Greyhound Lines, although the company continued operating under its own name until 1950 when it was finally merged into Southeastern Greyhound.
DOUGLAS STREET RAILWAY COMPANY ran between Douglas, Arizona, and the Copper Queen Smelter and Douglas and the Calumet, Arizona. It was incorporated on October 11, 1902, and ran until 1920, when it effectively shut down.
DOWNIEVILLE STAGE COMPANY was operating in 1924 in Downieville, California. M.P. Fischer was the registered contact.
DOYLESTOWN & EASTON MOTORCOACH COMPANY This history of this company is tied to the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The March 3 1928, issue of the Electric Railway Journal carried this notice: “The Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company, Philadelphia, Pa., has agreed to pay $1,825,000 for the Quaker Cab Company and three suburban bus lines. This was disclosed in a petition filed by the railway with the Public Service Commission for approval of the purchase of the four carriers. The proposed deal includes the purchase of 5,000 shares of the outstanding stock in the Quaker City Cabs, Inc.; 4,510 shares of the Montgomery Bus Company, Inc.; 1,000 shares of the Philadelphia Suburban Transit Company, and 200 shares of the Doylestown & Easton Motorcoach.” The company was still operating in 1938 when it won 2 National Safety Council awards.
DRUID CITY TRANSIT, INC. / DRUID CITY LINES, INC. / DRUID CITY TRANSIT LINES was a privately-owned public transit operator that ran buses in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, between 1947 and 1964. The company was incorporated as Druid City Lines on September 8, 1947, in Tuscaloosa, and during the 1950s it advertised in local papers as both Druid City Transit and Druid City Lines. It succeeded Alabama Power Company, which had operated both streetcars and buses and had taken over service from Tuscaloosa Railway & Utilities Company in 1923. Controlled by the American Transit Corporation, in 1954 Druid City Transit ran 22 buses over 106 route miles. The company’s end came about during the Civil Rights Movement, specifically when Druid City Transit management refused to hire black drivers, although their ridership was estimated to be about 90% black and the company had an integration policy. As a result, on August 1, 1964 the Tuscaloosa Citizens for Action committee (TCAC) announced that the black community would boycott the bus line. (Known as the Druid City Bus Boycotts of 1964.) The TCAC sustained people’s morale by organizing a system of “courtesy cars,” which helped riders sustain the boycott. After only three days of empty buses, the management laid off over twenty employees. Although the bus company management then considered hiring black applicants, the Amalgamated Transit Union, representing the interests of the bus line’s drivers, refused to cooperate. Union officials argued that no white driver could be fired without a valid reason. With financial ruin looming, and no prospect of resolving the impasse with the union, on November 10, 1964, the Druid City Transit, Inc. surrendered its franchise to the Tuscaloosa City Commission. On 12 April 1965 the new Tuscaloosa Transit Company resumed bus services with an integrated work force and a public policy of nondiscrimination. The badge shown below is nickel-plated with two threaded posts and was made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R.I
DUCOR-CALIFORNIA HOT SPRINGS STAGE LINE was running in 1911 as a horse-drawn line serving Porterville / Kern River, California. In 1921 F. A. Minaker was listed as the owner; by 1924 the company was motorized and was serving Ducor, Hot Springs and Porterville / Kern River, California.
DUKE POWER COMPANY “In 1913 Southern Power (which became Duke Power in 1924) organized a new subsidiary, Southern Public Utilities Company, to operate streetcar systems . . . By 1930 Duke Power owned the streetcar systems in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point, and Salisbury. The Charlotte system expanded to serve several new outlying neighborhoods and reached a total of twenty-nine miles of trackage (ten of them double tracks) utilizing fifty passenger cars.” Duke Power ran streetcars and buses in Charlotte, North Carolina from 1935 until 1955 when CHARLOTTE CITY COACH LINES, Inc. took over service. (See a DEVELOPMENT OF STREETCAR SYSTEMS IN NORTH CAROLINA for more info.)
DULUTH SUPERIOR TRANSIT CO. In September 1933 all of the properties of the Duluth Street Railway Company were transferred to the Duluth Superior Transit Company, which was incorporated in January 1933. The transit system’s mixed fleet in 1933 consisted of 110 streetcars, two electric trolley buses and nine gasoline-powered buses. During the 1930’s, all of the streetcars in the system were replaced by buses. Streetcars stopped operating in Superior, Wisconsin, in 1935. An act of the Minnesota State Legislature created the Duluth Transit Authority (DTA) in 1969. The badge is made of celluloid with a pin back and measures 2.125″ x 1.625″.
Dundalk Bus Lines (MD) 1959
DUNGENESS LINE See Olympic Bus Lines.
DUNLAP-PIKEVILLE BUS LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of Dunlap, Tennessee. The route ran between Dunlap and Pikeville.
DUNHAM AUTO STAGE was operating in 1924 out of Santa Rosa, California. A. Dunham was the owner/operator.
DUNSMUIR-SISSON WEED STAGE LINE was operating in Dunsmuir, California, in 1924. G.L. Morrison was the registered contact.
DUNTHORPE MOTOR TRANSPORT, INC. To start, there appears to be (at different times in history) two different Dunthorpe Motor Transport companies. The first is noted in a October 22, 1929, article in The News-Review from Roseburg, Oregon: “Dunthorpe Motor Transport company, which has been operating stage lines between Portland and Sandy via Gresham, purchased by Geo. T Lewis & Son corporation.”
The second company with this name is outlined in a letter from Evergreen Stage Line Tours to the City of Portland, Oregon, License Department dated Aug. 29, 1986: “In 1946 Vernon Trigg, President of Evergreen Stage Lines, started his first transit operation in the Portland Metropolitan Area. This transit system served as a feeder system to the downtown area. The system served a very affluent area, and the company took the name of the development and became known as Dunthorpe Motor Transit, Inc. The initial operation saw Vernon Trigg work as bus driver, manager, as well as a personal, friend to many of the families of the area. From this humble beginning Mr. Trigg acquired Vancouver, Washington based Evergreen Stage Lines. This line provided passenger service between Yacolt, Amboy, Battleground, Washougal, Camas, and Vancouver, Washington to the Portland area. . . . This operation is still being provided under contract to C-Tran, also known as Clark County Public Transportation Benefit Area Authority.bFrom a couple of buses the system grew to over 100 vehicles. As time progressed Mr. Trigg acquired The Gray Line Franchise, successfully operating it for the past ten years. In 1984 Mr. Trigg, along with two other operators purchased Pacific Trailways. . . . Evergreen is an individually owned and operated firm with forty years of operating experience in scheduled bus operation, both inter-city and intra-city. Additionally Evergreen is the parent company of the North Bend Bus Co. and The Gray Line of Portland.” In the 1970s Dunthorpe Motor Transport also was under contract to transport school children in the Portland area. The badge has one threaded post, was made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R.I. (marked on thumb nuts) and measures 2 ½” x 2″.
DUQUESNE MOTOR COACH CO. was another bus company that was preceded by a rail operation. The Duquesne and Dravosburg Street Railway (D&DSRCo) existed from 1908 until 1928. Bus service was started by the Ziegler family but was shortly sold to James Duncan and Rudolph Schreiber who formed Duquesne Motor Coach in 1929. It ran in a suburb in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The badge is a single threaded post.
DURHAM-DUNN BUS COMPANY was operating out of Fuquay Springs, North Carolina, in the 1940s. It was owned by Stacey W. and Lewis M. Wade. It ran from Dunn over N. C. Highway 55, via Erwin, Coats, Angier, Fuquay Springs, Varina, and Apex, to the intersection of Highway 55 with U. S. Highway 64; thence over an unnumbered county road, via Carpenter and Lowes Grove to Durham and return.
Copyright © 2020 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.