BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “E”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
EAGLE BUS LINE was running in the Cincinnati, Ohio, area in the late 1920s.
EAGLE BUS LINE, INC. ran from Kingston to Ellenville, New Jersey, in the 1940s-1950s. In 1954 it was running 8 buses over 30 miles, J. Van Kleeck was the company’s president. According to one source it operated until 1956; however, there is mention of the company in the Kingston Daily Freeman for February 5, 1970, which was the sale of Lipton’s Bee Line, of Kingston, to Eagle Bus Line, Inc. of Ellenville.
EAGLE MOTOR COACH LINE was running in Peoria, Illinois, in the 1920s and as late as 1936. In the 1920s it was involved in a dispute with BARTONVILLE BUS LINE before the Illinois Public Utilities Commission. No further information.
EAGLE MOTOR LINES, INC. was founded in September 1927 in Roanoke, Virginia. The September 30, 1927, edition of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle from Brooklyn, New York carried the story: “EIGHT NEW BUS LINES Steady growth In the use of the motor bus, especially on the part of the railroads, is indicated in reports received from all sections of the country, according to Bus Transportation. During the month of September eight bus operating companies were incorporated in the United States. These are the Texas Motor Coaches, Inc., Dallas; the Journal Square-Clifton Transit Company, of Jersey City, N. J.; Huntington Coach Corporation, Huntington, N. Y.; Twin Cities Transportation Company, Albany, N. Y.; Rome Transit Company, Kingston, N. Y.; Ferguson-Wellston Bus Company, Ferguson, Mo.; Eagle Motor Lines, Roanoke, Va., and West Coast Motor Buses, Everglades, Fla.” Apparently the company went out of business in January 1929, as noted in the January 5, 1929, edition of The Bee from Danville, Virginia: “Jan. 5.–(AP)–The Eagle Motor lines, Inc., was authorized by the Virginia State Corporation Commission yesterday to transfer its passenger bus certificate for service between Danville and Rocky-Mount by way of Callands and Whitmell to the Camel City Coach Company, Inc.“
EAGLE ROCK AUTO EXPRESS was operating in the mid 1920s out of Eagle Rock, Los Angeles, California. George A. Thompson was the owner.
EAGLEVILLE-CEDARVILLE AUTO LINE was operating in 1924 in Eagleville, California (Surprise Valley). L.S. Tripp was the registered contact.
EAST ALABAMA COACH LINE was operating out of Roanoke, Alabama, in 1946. It served Roanoke, Opelika, Fairfax, LaFayette, Lanett, Alexander City, Anniston and Heflin, Alabama. It ran 19 buses over 251 route miles with T. M. Payne the owner general manager. In February 1955 it was announced that Ingram Bus Lines had purchased the franchise of East Alabama Coach Lines. (Also see Tiger Bus Company.)
EAST AVENUE BUS COMPANY was owned by the New York State Railways, which also controlled the Darling Bus Line and the Rochester Interurban Bus Company. The company ran in the 1920s between Pittsford, New York, and Rochester, New York. It was still running in 1928.
EAST MONTEREY BUS LINE / EAST MONTEREY SPANISH LINE was founded by Bryant Guernsey in 1932 to provide transportation to the community of Seaside and to the Ord Terrace Gate of Camp Gigling (later Fort Ord), California. It was a “one-man” operation that “ran on a somewhat random basis.” In July 1943 the owner appeared in court, one of several such appearances over the years: “Bryant Guernsey, owner and operator of the East Monterey bus line, was fined $100 several days ago for failure to appear in court at a set time, and for driving an “unsafe bus” which had been ordered off the road three times; Judge Ray Baugh said Guernsey has been issued numerous citations by the California highway patrol and warned time and again to make repairs on his bus which Baugh described a ‘danger to the passengers who ride it’.” In 1946 the company was running 4 buses over 11 miles and served Del Monte Heights, Monterey, Fort Ord Village and the U.S. Naval Air Base.
EAST ST. LOUIS CITY LINE, INC. was part of National City Lines, and operated buses in East St. Louis, Illinois, making connections to St. Louis, Missouri. It succeeded Blue Goose Motor Coach Company in 1935, which had ran only one year (1935-1936). (Blue Goose Motor Coach Co. has succeeded East St. Louis Railway Company, 1902-1935.) The company went out of business in 1963.
EAST SIDE OMNIBUS CORPORATION was a bus company in the borough of Manhattan, New York City. It was formed in 1932 to operate former streetcar routes operated by the Second Avenue Railroad in Manhattan. One year later, the same people formed Comprehensive Omnibus Corporation. Comprehensive and East Side Omnibus were coordinated in their transfer policy with New York City Omnibus Co., all three companies exchanging transfers among their routes, even though Comprehensive and East Side were entirely independent in ownership from NYCO. Both Comprehensive and East Side went bankrupt in 1948, and their routes were taken over by New York City, operated by the Board of Transportation (which later became a State operation, the New York City Transit Authority). There are two types of badges for this company: the earlier one is solid brass, and the later one is nickel plated with enamel. Both have two threaded posts.
EAST TEXAS MOTOR COACHES was a fairly short local bus line running along Highway 190 and serving the East Texas cities of Huntsville, Livingston, and Jasper, and De Ridder, Louisiana, during the 1940s– 1950. Measures 2⅛” x 2″ and has a single threaded post. Made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO.
EASTERN CAROLINA COACH COMPANY, INC. was operating in the mid 1920s out of Charlotte, North Carolina. Authorized Operation: Charlotte to Wilmington via Monroe, Wadesboro, Rockingham, Hamlet, Laurinburg, Lumberton, Chadbourn and Whiteville, Highway No. 20; Lumberton to Fayetteville via St. Pauls, Highway No. 22.
EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS STREET RAILWAY COMPANY, INC. / EASTERN MASS / EM was a streetcar and later bus company in eastern Massachusetts that succeeded Bay State Street Railway Company in 1919. That history is outlined in Moody’s Analysis of Investments Public Utilities and Industrials (Moody, John. New York: Moody’s Investors Service, 1919): “History: [Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway Co.] Incorporated in Massachusetts in 1918 and acquired at auction under foreclosure proceedings on April 21, 1919, for $3,600,000, substantially all the assets of the Bay State Street Ry. Co.; the latter company had been in the hands of receivers since Dec. 12, 1917. Owns or controls about 900 miles of electric railways in Eastern Massachusetts, including the city lines in Lynn, Salem, Beverly, Newburyport, Gloucester, Haverhill, Lawrence, Lowell, Quincy, Brockton, Taunton, Fall River and many other communities, serving a population of about 1,000,000.“
In 1946 EM was running 808 buses over 861 route miles, was operating in Boston and 19 other cities and 51 towns; the company was operated by the Board of Public Trustees. It operated a total of 37 passenger streetcars and one work car over 18.71 route miles. It ran its last streetcars in Quincy, Massachusetts on May 1, 1948. EM was acquired by Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority in 1968. The first badges are the earliest style and used for streetcar service. They were made by Herren Brothers Pittsburgh, PA. and measure 3 ¼” x 1 ½”. The second badge was introduced for bus service; it measures 2¼ ” x 2¾ with two threaded posts and is marked Pilgrim Badge Co. Boston along with a number, which differs with each badge. (We may presume this is the employee I.D. number.) Later issues were redesigned and are 2½” tall and have two threaded posts. Most of are marked CAMMALL BADGE CO.
EASTERN MICHIGAN MOTORBUSES, INC. “a.k.a. BLUE GOOSE LINES” This is another bus company that prominently figures in the Greyhound Lines‘ pedigree. In 1924 the Detroit United Railway Company (DURC), which was an electric interurban rail line, formed the People’s Motor Coach Company. Dr. D. B. Rushing, in his Bluehounds and Redhounds the History of Greyhound and Trailways, article Great Lakes Greyhound, writes: “The purpose of the new concern was to enable its parent firm, a railway business, to reduce its operating costs and expenses and to strengthen its competitive position against an increasing number of rivals operating buses on the developing and improving roads. . . . During the following years the PMC Company developed an extensive bus system, mostly by the acquisition of existing smaller companies, operating along both suburban and intercity routes.” The companies absorbed by PMC were the Trackless Coach and Blue Goose Lines, operating between Detroit, Michigan, and Toledo, Ohio; Highway Motor Bus, operating between Detroit, Lansing and Jackson and also between Detroit and Grand Rapids, Michigan; White Star Motor Bus Co., operating between Detroit and Port Huron, Detroit and Flint, Michigan; The Wolverine (Motor Coach Service), between Detroit and Mt. Clemens and between Detroit and Imlay City. As to the People Motor Coach Co., it operated between Detroit and Wyandotte and City Service in Flint, Port Huron and Pontiac, Michigan.
In 1928 the DURC was renamed Eastern Michigan Railways, and on September 17, 1928, the People’s Motor Coach Company was incorporated and renamed Eastern Michigan Motorbuses, Inc., and used the trade name “Blue Goose Lines“, along with the image of a blue goose, for all its intercity routes.
In 1931 the Eastern Michigan Railways went into its second and final bankruptcy and reorganization. In 1936 the company bought out Great Lakes Motor Bus Company, which it then operated as a subsidiary.
Dr. D. B. Rushing writes: “[In] 1938 The Greyhound Corporation, the umbrella Greyhound firm, bought a controlling (majority) interest in the Eastern Michigan Motorbuses under the supervision of the receivers and the court in bankruptcy. However, the federal Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) did not at first allow Greyhound to control the EMM or to merge it into Greyhound, not until 1941, after a change in the membership (the commissioners) of the ICC. Because of the large size of the Eastern Michigan Motorbuses, its route network, and its operations, The Greyhound Corporation created a new subsidiary, named as the Great Lakes Greyhound Lines, which in 1941 took over the EMM. Thus began the Great Lakes Greyhound Lines.”
The August 18, 1939, edition of the Times Herald from Port Huron, Michigan, reported: “AP The interstate commerce commission denied authority for Greyhound corporation Thursday to acquire control of Eastern Michigan Motorbusses and its subsidiary, Great Lakes Motor Bus company. The Greyhound corporation proposed to issue 145,000 shares of common stock in exchange for the stock of Eastern Michigan Motorbusses. While denying the Greyhound application, the commission approved a request by Eastern Michigan Motorbusses to absorb Great Lakes Motor Bus company entirely. The commission said its primary concern was whether, after the proposed acquisition by Greyhound, there would remain effective an adequate competition to insure the public the maintenance of high standards of service and reasonable charges. It said there is a close relationship existing between certain Greyhound’s subsidiaries and certain railroads, adding: ‘The effect of acquisition would be to add a fourth Greyhound-controlled bus line operating between Detroit and Toledo, and a second line providing service between Detroit and Kalamazoo, with no organized competition over the latter route between Detroit and Battle Creek, other than one railroad which owns a substantial interest in Central Greyhound. We can conceive of no substantial advantages not presently available, which would acquire to the public under this acquisition. Satisfactory operation and management of Eastern Michigan motorbusses and its subsidiary Great Lakes are indicated by their respective records of earnings, and we, therefore, entertain no apprehension that disapproval of the application would involve any impairment of the earning capacity or ability of the mentioned carriers to provide efficient service in the future.“
EASTERN PUBLIC SERVICE CORPORATION was incorporated in Delaware on January 29, 1926, to operate public transit. Operating as an intercity company in the Washington, D.C. / Virginia area, the company both ran its own buses and owned subsidiaries, such as Indiana Safety Coach Corporation, Towns Bus Lines, Inc., Washington—Shenandoah Valley Motor Lines, Inc., Crush Bus Lines, Inc. and Virginia Motor Lines, Inc. In 1929 the Eastern Public Service Corporation ran a route through Pulaski and Radford, Virginia. By 1931 the corporation had changed its name to United Utilities, Inc., which seems to be tied to a curious circumstance.
The August 28, 1931, edition of the Alexandria Times-Tribune from Alexandria, Indiana reported the demise of the Indiana Safety Coach Corporation: “Four bus line franchises and other assets of the Indiana Safety Coach Corporation were sold to the Eastern Public Service Corporation for $20,000 with approval of Judge Oren W. Dickey In the Grant superior court at Marlon. The sale was transacted by the First National Bank as receiver for the corporation . . . Bus franchises from Muncle to Peru, Marlon to Warsaw and Port Wayne to Indianapolis were among the assets which brought a price $5,000 in excess of the appraised value. The Marlon to Hartford City franchise will be sold later. Before the sale is final, approval must be given by the Indiana public service commission.“
The above newspaper article raises a question since the Eastern Public Service Corporation already owned and operated this company as a subsidiary, which is noted in this April 30, 1928 Indianapolis advert: “ALL-STEEL PARLOR COACHES EQUIPPED WITH BALLOON TIRES AND AIR BRAKES $3.60 ONE WAY $6.50 ROUND TRIP TO FT. WAYNE LEAVE UNION BUS STATION 125 W. Market Riley 2235 INDIANA SAFETY COACH CORP. Subsidiary Eastern Public Service Corp.” Perhaps the bankruptcy of the Indiana Safety Coach Corp., coupled with the 1929 stock market crash, ties into the reason Eastern Public Service Corp. changed its name to United Utilities, Inc. by the end of 1931.
EASTERN TRAILS, INC. / EASTERN TRAILWAYS One source says the company was formed in 1937, joined National Trailways Bus System in 1939, and was sold to American Bus Lines, Inc. in 1946. In turn, this company was sold to Transcontinental Bus System in 1953. Jon Hobijn notes that transportation tycoon Aaron Greenleaf owned 91% of Eastern Trails. In 1946 Eastern Trailways / Eastern Trails, Inc. operated out of New York City, and Aaron Greenleaf was the president. In August 1947 American Bus Lines, Inc. announced a consolidation of 19 bus companies: American Bus Lines, Inc., Burlington Trailways, Continental Trailways, Crescent Trailways, Dixie-Sunshine Trailways, Denver-Colorado Springs-Pueblo Trailways, Denver-Salt Lake-Pacific Trailways, Eastern Trailways, Georgia Trailways, Indiana Railroad, Mo-Ark Trailways, Modern Trailways, Mucatine-Davenport and Clinton Bus Company, Pony Express, Service Stages, Southeastern Greyhound Lines, Santa Fe Trailways, Utah-Idaho Central Railroad and West Coast Trailways.
EASTERN TRANSIT LINE, INC. of Weehawken, New Jersey, was incorporated in May 1917 to operate a passenger and freight line.
Eau Claire Transportation Company (WI) 1959
EBERLY BUS SERVICE was founded by Maynard E. Eberly and was basically a two man operation, the other man being John Gillengerten. It is listed in the 1946 edition of the MTD as operating from Okemos, Michigan. It The company operated 3 buses over 27 route miles in 1954; it is not listed in the 1956 edition of the MTD, so one might assume it had ceased operations by that date. (One source notes that the company was possibly acquired by Lansing Suburban Lines, which was later renamed as Lansing Metro Lines after also acquiring city transit operations in Lansing.)
EDDY MOTOR BUS COMPANY was founded by Osborn Eddy in LaSalle, Illinois, prior to January 1914. It was noted in a case brought before the Illinois Commerce Commission on January 31, 1922, that during this time the company had been operating without the required certificate of convenience and necessity. The details of that hearing are rather interesting as they give a glimpse into the cut-throat behavior of independent jitney operators in the early days of bus service: “A hearing was held upon said complaint at the office of the Commission in Springfield, Illinois on January 31, 1922, at which hearing both the Wagner & Himbert Bus Lines, Incorporated, and the Eddy Motor Bus Company, and Osborn Eddy, were represented by counsel. The evidence taken at said hearing discloses the fact that the Eddy Motor Bus Company is operating three buses between the cities of LaSalle and Oglesby, Illinois, making regular trips and holding itself out to the public to furnish a regular scheduled service between the above mentioned points . . . The evidence further discloses that the complainant, the Wagner & Himbert Bus Lines, Incorporated, is a public utility, duly incorporated under the laws of the state of Illinois, and authorized by certificates of convenience and necessity, issued by this Commission . . . to operate a motor bus line for the transportation of passengers between the cities of LaSalle and Oglesby, Illinois . . . The evidence further discloses that it is the practice of the respondent, the Eddy Motor Bus Company, to operate its busses just ahead of the schedule of the complainant, the Wagner & Himbert Bus Lines, thereby taking advantage of the fact that the said Wagner & Himbert Bu Line is required to operate upon P.U.R.1922B, to gain an advantage over the said company and the passengers along the route who are waiting for the busses of the complainant company. It is also resorted to parking its busses in front of the waiting rooms maintained by the complainant company in the city of LaSalle, thereby effectually preventing the said complainant from stopping in front of its own waiting room to take on and discharge passengers, and that the said Eddy Motor Bus Company has resorted to various other practices designed to secure the business of the complainants and taking advantage of the fact that the complainant herein is a regulated utility and as such must operating in accordance with the rules and provisions of this Commission. . . . [the] Eddy Motor Bus Company has resorted to various other practices designed to secure the business of the complainants . . .” The ruling of the Commission was “That the said Eddy Motor Bus Company and Osborn Eddy should discontinue said business and cease operating as a public utility in the state of Illinois, until such time as they have obtained a certificate of convenience and necessity from this Commission authorizing them to conduct such a business.”
By April 1922 the Eddy Motor Bus Company had applied for the necessary permits “to operate a motor bus line between Oglesby, LaSalle, Peru and State Park at Starved Rock in LaSalle county.” The permit was granted by August 1922. In a strange twist, the May 4, 1923, edition of the Alton Evening Telegraph from Alton, Illinois noted that the Eddy Motor Bus Company was complaining to the Commission about another bus company doing what they had done the previous year: “Complaint that Louis Johnson and others are operating a motor bus service between La Salle and Oglesby without having first obtaining a state certificate, was made to the Illinois Commerce Commission today by the Eddy Motor Bus Company of Oglesby.” There is no record of this company after the above dates.
EDGERTON BUS LINES, INC. was operating in the mid 1920s out of Suffolk, Virginia. It ran from Edenton, N. C., to Virginia-North Carolina State Line, destination Suffolk, Va., Highways Nos. 32 and 30.
EDGERTON REO BUS LINE, INC. was operating in the mid 1920s out of Suffolk, Virginia.
EDMONTON TRANSIT / EDMONTON TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM / EDMONTON TRANSIT SYSTEM / EDMONTON TRANSIT SERVICE / EDMONTON RADIAL RAILWAY Edmonton Radial Railway (October 30, 1908 – 16 July 16, 1946) was authorized in 1908 to operate tramways in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and for 80 miles (128 km) in any direction. (This was never accomplished.) On August 26, 1908, the company acquired the Strathcona Radial Tramway Company Limited (incorporated October 8, 1904), which held, from September 30, 1907, an exclusive franchise to operate tramways in the City of Strathcona. In addition to the cities of Edmonton and Strathcona, service was also extended to the villages of North Edmonton and Calder. In 1946 the company name was changed to Edmonton Transportation System (July 16, 1946 – April 29, 1947). On April 29, 1947, the name was again changed to Edmonton Transit System (April 29, 1947 – November 14, 2016)
Edmonton Transit System took over transit service in the Town of Beverly in 1961, and in the Town of Jasper Place in 1964. In 1977 the name was altered to Edmonton Transit but “Edmonton Transit System” began appearing on buses again in 1993. Formal name change from Edmonton Transit System to Edmonton Transit Service arose from organizational changes announced November 14, 2016. (Information from David A. Wyatt’s All-Time List of Canadian Transit Systems.) The below inspector’s badge has a single threaded post and measures 2½” x 1⅞”.
EDWARD BROS. STAGE LINE was running a 72-mile route between Portland and Astoria, Oregon, in 1923.
EDWARDS LAKES TO SEA STAGES / EDWARDS TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was founded in 1918 in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, with F. J. Edwards serving as secretary and treasurer. In 1939 served New York, Easton, Bethlehem, Allentown, Pottsville, Sunbury, Williamsport, Oil City, Youngstown, Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago. The company is not mentioned in the 1940s editions of the MTD.
EGYPTIAN TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM, INC. / EGYPTIAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY began bus operations in in 1920 in Southern Illinois. By 1930 it was headquartered in Marion, Illinois, and was operating a route between Marion and St. Louis. In July 1930 the company entered into receivership because of outstanding debts. At that time Allen W. Haggerty, the company’s former manager, was appointed receiver. In 1934, Egyptian Transportation System was sold to Dixie Greyhound Lines.
EISENMAN INC. ROYAL TOURS was a company based in Port Hadlock, Washington, that ran tours and charter service in Northwest Washington and Victoria, B.C. in 2006. The badge has one threaded post and one pin post.
EL DORADO STAGE COMPANY, INC. was operating a bus route between Los Angeles, Bakersfield and Taft, California, in the mid 1910s. A tire ad in the May 5, 1918, Oakland Tribune from Oakland, California, reads: “W. Mims, general manager of the El Dorado Stage Line, which operates a Packard twin six deluxe service. We have tried out six makes of tires on sixteen El Dorado stages operated between Los Angeles and Bakersfield.” The number of buses mentioned in the ad shows this was not the usual one or two man operation of the time. In fact, when the company was sold to Oliver R. Fuller in 1920, it sold for $105,000—a large sum of money in those days: “California Railroad Commission Decisions: Harry A. Eucell and H.W. Kidd for applicant; October 6, 1920 El Dorado Stage Company, operating an automobile passenger service between Los Angeles and Bakersfield and Taft, authorized to transfer its operative right and equipment to the Motor Transit Company, for one hundred five thousand dollars par value of its common stock in exchange thereof.” It’s worth noting that the run from Bakersfield to Los Angeles was not exactly a safe one, as this excerpt shows: “About one year later, O.R. Fuller acquired the El Dorado Stage Line, which connected Los Angeles and Bakersfield. The buses traveled over the Ridge Route, forty-eight miles of steep grades and hairpin turns. Running time between the two cities was about ten hours.” El Dorado Stage Line was absorbed into Fuller’s Motor Transit Company.
EL SEGUNDO TRANSIT COMPANY was operating out of Anaheim, California, in 1924.
ELGIN CITY LINES succeeded Aurora-Elgin City Lines in 1940 offering service in Aurora and Elgin, Illinois. However, both companies were owned by National City Lines, which started service in 1936, having acquired bus operations from Aurora Elgin and Fox River Electric Company, which ran streetcars and buses from 1924 until 1936. In 1966 National City sold Elgin City Lines to Vernon Westover, who was a regional manager of National City Lines and who retained the name. In 1968 the city-owned Elgin Department of Transportation took over and ran the operation until 1991.
ELK CREEK-ALDER SPRINGS AUTO LINE was operating out of Elk Creek, California, in 1924. J.F. Bickford was owner/operator.
ELKIN-ALLEGHANY BUS LINE, INC. was operating in the mid 1920s out of Elkin, North Carolina. It ran between Winston-Salem to Sparta via Yadkinville, Brooks Cross Roads and Elkin, Highways Nos. 60 and 26.
Elliott Bus Corporation (NJ) 1959
ELMIRA-ITHACA MOTOR TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. This company was around in 1918 and was first owned by Frank F. Gillett. Before June 1919 he assigned his certificate of public convenience to John L. Hicks. At some point a man named W. M. Hicks was the general manager. The company ran as an intercity bus route from Elmira to Ithaca, New York. One source says the route was taken over by Central Greyhound Lines in 1948. It is listed in the Russell’s Guide for 1939, but not listed in the 1946 MTD.
ELMIRA MOTOR COACH CORPORATION The Atwood-Coffee Catalogue relates: “The Elmira Water, Light & Railroad Company was a merger of earlier companies in 1900, and on April 27, 1932, the name was changed to Elmira Light, Heat & Power Corp. which, on November 30, 1936, was merged into the New York State Electric & Gas Corporation. Streetcars were abandoned in Elmira March 11, 1939, but N.Y.S.E. & G. Continued with buses until 1948, when Elmira Motor Coach Corporation took over.” In 1954 the company served Elmira, New York, and vicinity. It was controlled by Management Controls, Inc. It ran 18 buses over 64 route miles. The president was W. Farber Baum. The company ceased operations in 1955 and was succeeded by Rochester Penfield Bus Co. Inc. The badge has two threaded posts, is made of metal and enamel by Hookfast, Providence, R.I.
ELMIRA-TROY-CANTON BUS LINE / ELMIRA-TROY-CANTON AUTO-BUS LINE Owner Harold l. Wells started running a parlor coach on July 25, 1928. There were two round trips week days and one round trip Sunday. The bus left Elmira at 7:00 A.M. and arrived in Canton at 8:25 A.M. leaving Canton at 8:30 A.M. It arrived back in Elmira at 10:00 A.M. For the afternoon run, it left Elmira at 3:00 P.M. arriving in Canton at 4:25 P.M., then left Canton at 4:30 P.M. and arrived in Elmira at 6:00 P.M. It was still operating in 1955 when it announced a schedule change, and according to one source ceased operations in 1974. The badge is metal and has two threaded posts.
ELMIRA-WATKINS GLEN TRANSIT CORPORATION was an intercity bus line serving Elmira, Montour Falls, Watkins Glen, Dundee, Penn Yan, Ithaca and Geneva, New York. In 1946 it was located in Watkin Glen and operated 12 buses over 124 route miles. In 1956 it was located in Burdett, New York, and operated 9 buses over 63 route miles. The company was still running in 1974. One source says that the company was in business until 1977.
EMERGENCY TRANSPORTATION, INC. When America entered World War II the nation’s defense industry kicked into full production. Tens of thousands of aircraft workers were employed throughout Kansas building planes, and most of those jobs were centered in Wichita, Kansas. Boeing built the B-29 bombers. Beech Aircraft Company and Cessna Aircraft Company built various military aircraft models. All those workers needed transportation, and the easiest mode was buses. In 1933 Wichita Transportation Company had taken over public transportation after Wichita Railroad & Light Company discontinued streetcar operations. When America entered World War II, the company the company formed Emergency Transportation, Inc. to run buses from downtown Wichita to the three aircraft production plants. Their service began on July 20, 1942. That same month the City of Wichita City commission granted a franchise to the
Defense Transportation Company.
By December 1945 the Wichita Transportation Company, along with Emergency Transportation, Inc., was operating 126 buses and carried 30 million passengers, while the Defense Transportation Company, operating 14 buses, carried 3 million passengers. By April 1947 Emergency Transportation Inc. was still operating, but the Defense Transportation Company seems to have been shut down. Indeed, in September 1945 the company was advertising in local newspapers to sell off “at 25 per cent or more below ceiling prices, a number of 1939, 1940 and 1942 Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge Trucks and buses.” Their address was given as 309 N. Market St., Wichita, Kansas.
EMERY’S MOTOR COACH LINES / EMERY MOTOR COACH LINES, INC. / METROPOLITAN TRAILWAYS The company was founded by Robert L. Emery, Jr. in Martinsburg, West Virginia. I don’t know the date of the company’s founding, but certainly it was flourishing in the 1940s. At some point in the late 1940s the company had joined the National Trailways Bus System as Metropolitan Trailways. By 1949 the company was in deep financial trouble. In October 1949 the Mellon National Bank & Trust Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania foreclosed. On Friday, October 28, 1949 at 10 a.m., the bank forced a public sale at the door of the Berkley County, West Virginia courthouse. Everything was for sale: “Together with all rights, franchise permits, certificates of public conveyance and good-will owned by the said Robert L. Emery, Jr., an individual doing business as Emery’s Motor Coach Lines and Emery’s Motor Coach Lines, Inc. a Corporation.” The sale listed 30 buses, the oldest being a 1935 Yellow Coach and the most recent being Fexible coaches from the 1940, including two 1948 coaches. The details of the sale were revealed in a November 21, 1949, Hagerstown, Maryland newspaper article, which reported that Francis H. Urner, an official of the Potomac Coach Lines, Inc., Jack A. Bowers, the president of the company, Fred Lillard, the manager and Paul Smith, supervisor, acknowledged that the “new company” was having financial difficulties. The article also revealed that Robert L. Emery had been given a 30-day option to repurchase his bus line at the same price Potomac Coach Lines paid Mellon National Bank, which was $20,000 cash. Apparently Potomac Coach Lines was a new company, founded in 1949 at the purchase of Emery’s bus line. My guess is that Emery never exercised his option to repurchase, since in December 1951 he sued Mellon National Bank and Trust Company for money, he claimed, the company failed to pay him after the sale of his business.
EMPIRE BUS LINE was incorporated in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1956 by Willis “Bill” Meyer (1931-2007). In 1972 the company was running 11 buses on intercity routes. The company ceased operations in 1981. One of the company’s drivers was William Edward Joling (1937-2009). After his employment with Empire Bus Line, Mr. Joling drove for Greyhound Lines, retiring with over 35 years of service.
EMPIRE BUS LINES, INC. In 1956 Charles C. Mucci was the president and general manager. The company is not listed in the 1947 edition nor the 1954 edition of the MTD, but is to be found in the 1956 edition, indicating that it was founded between those years. The July 20, 1961, edition of the Poughkeepsie Journal from Poughkeepsie, New York, announced that the “Public Service commission today authorized Empire Bus Lines Inc., of Poughkeepsie to purchase the equipment and property of Twilight Bus Line Inc, Red Hook, for $37,000 and to acquire the rights held by the latter for operation of omnibus routes between Red Hook and Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park and Poughkeepsie. Empire proposes to continue the present service of Twilight and at the same fares. The sale results from a desire of the present owners of Twilight to withdraw from the transportation business. Empire now operates intrastate service within Poughkeepsie and between it and the State line at Patterson.“
EMPLOYEES TRANSIT LINES INC. took over on public in Loraine, Ohio, on May 1, 1938, when the Loraine Street Railway closed down. It was still running in 1945. The badge was made in Chicago.
ENDERS BUS LINES, INC. See Enders Greyhound Lines for information on this company.
ENGELHARD-WASHINGTON BUS COMPANY was operating in the 1940s out of Engelhard, North Carolina, by Mrs. S.M. Gibbs. It ran from Washington to Engelhard, via Yeatsville, Pantego, Belhaven, Scranton, Swan Quarter to Engelhard. Engelhard to Columbia, from Engelhard to Fairfield to Kilkenny, Gum Neck to Columbia, N. C.
ENGLANDER COACH LINES started as Pocumtuck Bus Lines, Inc. running from Springfield to Greenfield, via Amherst, Massachusetts, in the early 1930s. In 1950 the financially failing company was bought out by Peter C. Snell and his partner, George Sage, who renamed it Englander Coach Lines. How that came about is told in this account published in the January 23, 1955, edition of the Democrat and Chronicle from Rochester, New York: “One early summer, at the close of the spring term at Deerfield, young [George] Sage took a train journey to the Pacific Coast in company with Charles Ufford, a classmate . . . [Sage] passed a few days at the home of his aunt in Beverly Hills, and then decided to go for a bus ride. He knew the routes and schedules of most of the major overline bus companies and he charted his itinerary so that he might take in as many lines as time and his budget allowed. He first rode north along the Pacific seaboard, went southeast to the Atlantic seaboard, rode north to New York and then on to Rochester. He had covered more than half the states in the Union. He slept in the buses and ate catch-as-catch-can at way stations. His clothes were ruined, he was short many baths, but he had decided that he was going to own a bus line. ‘We didn’t encourage the idea,’ Leon W. Sage, his father, said. ‘It sounded like a kid’s dream, and neither his mother nor I was going to drop a penny into a wildcat enterprise.’ The boy went to work that summer painting city light poles, fell off a work truck and suffered a broken arm, finished out the vacation period as a ticket seller in the Blue Bus station. When he returned to school, he had $400 in a bank as venture capital. And the next summer he bought up a bus line that ran from Point Breeze, north of Albion, to Batavia, the chief purpose of which was to move migrant farm laborers to and from their jobs and carry them, as relief from field hand drudgery, to the race track and bingo games at Batavia. President of the company, Sage also drove one of the buses. By now Sage has interested a Deerfield classmate and friend, Peter Snell, son of Mrs. Kenneth Hickman, of Pelham Road, in his enterprises, and the two young men began looking for new bus lines to operate. They found one presently, called the Pocumtuck Bus Line, which ran from Springfield to Greenfield, Mass., via Amherst, and was dragging along in the red. They revived it, changed its name to the Englander Coach Lines, and made a profit with it. In the meantime they decided on a larger operation and purchased the Johnson Bus Lines Inc., which runs from Boston to Milford, Mass., and Woonsocket, R.I. This line also was doing badly until Sage and his partner, Snell, took it over, which they did while the former was still in Babson Institute and the latter an undergraduate at Harvard University. The young men would leave their respective schools each weekend and take a hand in operating two of the buses on Saturday and Sunday. The company originally had 22 buses. This number was reduced to 18, but three new GMC buses were added at a total cost of $66,000. The purchase of the three new buses was made last summer when Sage was granted a week’s furlough from Camp Kilmer, N.J., where he serves in the transportation office. . . . Snell is now in his first year at Harvard Law. Sage will be discharged from the Army late this year. He has now sold the smaller Englander Coach Lines, and is temporarily concentrating on the Johnson Bus Lines Inc. The young men have only two days a week apiece to supervise the management of their company. What they will do when they are able to devote all of their time to their enterprise is something to excite heady speculation.”
As noted in the above article, the partners would later buy out Johnson Bus Lines Inc., which ran from Boston to Milford, Massachusetts. (They ran that company separate from Englander Coach Lines, however, Englander’s buses and drivers came mostly from Johnson Bus Lines.) The only info I’ve found on this company’s later history is a notice of hearing before the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities held on May 22, 1980: “re joint petition of Englander Coach Lines, Inc. (Proposed Transferor) and Rabbit Transit, Inc. (Proposed Transferee) for approval to the assignment and transfer of various Certificates from Proposed Transferor to Proposed Transferee.” Johnson Bus Lines was sold in 1962 to The Short Line. In 1971 a consolidation of The Short Line and Interstate Busses Corp. created the Bonanza Bus Lines.
ENGLEWOOD & FORT LOGAN BUS COMPANY The Denver Tramway Company ran bus lines as subsidiaries until 1933, to avoid complicating their franchise agreements with the city of Denver, Colorado. The subsidiaries operated under revocable permits issued by the city. The first subsidiary was the Englewood & Fort Logan Bus Company, which connected the end of streetcar Rt. 3 in Englewood with the Veterans Administration facilities at Fort Logan. The second was the Fitzsimons Bus & Taxi Company, which connected Fitzsimons Army Hospital with downtown Denver along Colfax, 17th, and 18th Avenues. It was purchased by the Denver Tramway Company in 1929 and operated as a subsidiary until it was dissolved in 1943. A third subsidiary, Bus Transportation Company, was formed by the Tramway Company in 1927. It was absorbed into the Denver Tramway Company in 1933.
ENROKN-BRIDGEVILLE AUTO LINE was operating in 1924 in Eureka, California. W.B. Shively was the registered contact.
ERIE COACH COMPANY In 1924 the Erie Railway Company (ERC) came into existence and in 1925 a subsidiary named the Erie Coach Company (ECC) was formed to run less expensive bus service as an alternative to expanding the streetcar network in Erie, Pennsylvania. The Erie Metropolitan Transit Authority (EMTA) was formed on September 20, 1966, and took over the routes.
ERIE COUNTY MOTOR COACH LINES, INC. was a subsidiary bus company of the Erie County Traction Company, which ran streetcars in Buffalo, New York. The Erie County Traction Company was formerly The Buffalo Southern Railway, and, in 1924, connected Buffalo, Hamburg, Orchard Park, Gardenville and Ebenezer; West Seneca, East Hamburg and Lackawanna-East Side. The company began running buses by the late 1920s. Erie County Motor Coach Lines was sold to Buffalo Transit Company, Inc. in 1931.
ERIE TRANSIT COMPANY EMPLOYEE This company ran streetcars in Erie County, Pennsylvania, in the late nineteenth century. The badge measures 2¼” and is a pin back. (Photo used by permission of eBay member aracin.)
ESCONDIDO-PALOMAR AUTO LINE was operating in Escondido, California, in 1924. The partners were Hoxie, Hubbard and Stewart.
ETNA-FORT JONES-YREKN STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Ft. Jones, California. C.A. Reichman was the owner/operator.
EUGENE-ROSEBURG STAGE was operaing a 72-mile route between Eugene and Roseburg, Oregon, in 1923.
EUGENE-SHANNON MOTOR ROUTE was operating a route between Eugene and Shannon, Oregon, in 1923.
EUREKA-BRIDGEVILLE AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Bridgeville, California. George H. Cox was the registered contact.
EUREKA CITY LINES, INC. was formed by National City Lines in 1939 in Eureka, California, when the city-owned Eureka City Railway was sold to that company. (Eureka City Railway had succeeded Humboldt Transit Company in 1921.) As was its custom across the United States, when National City Lines took over operations they immediately ceased streetcar operations and introduced bus service. According to one story, on the last day of streetcar service a mob of protesting residents burned an old Humboldt Transit Company streetcar in the street and utterly destroyed it. (For more information see the entry under National City Lines.) In 1945 Eureka City Lines ran 9 buses over 10 route miles. The company ceased operations in 1946 and was succeeded by Eureka Transit Lines. Since this company lasted only seven years and ran a small number of buses/routes, its badges are among the rarest out there. The badge here is the first issued, carrying the number “1”; it measures 2½” x 2¾” inches and was made by GREENDUCK CO. CHICAGO.
EUREKA SPRINGS ELECTRIC LIGHT & STREET RAILWAY ran in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, from 1891 until 1908 when it was replaced by Citizens Electric Company.
EUREKA TRACTION COMPANY ran in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, after 1910 and shut down in 1920.
EUREKA TRANSIT LINES was formed in 1946 and succeeded Eureka City Lines, Inc. running buses in Eureka, California. In 1956 this privately-owned company ran 10 buses over 13 route miles. The company ceased operations in 1961. It is unclear who or what replaced this company for the next several decades, but a history of Eureka vaguely hints that some type of service was in place, as the following quote indicates. “On April 10, 1972, the Eureka city council transferred the operation of Eureka’s transit service to Bishop’s Transit Service, a private company owned by Glen and Lloyd Bishop.” In conjunction with the formation of the Humboldt Transit Authority, the city of Eureka assumed control of the bus system, renamed Eureka Transit Service, on January 20, 1976. The city retained Bishop’s to oversee operations. On February 1, 1985, the city of Eureka began operating Eureka Transit Service independently, no longer contracting operations to Bishop. The badge shown here has two threaded posts and was made by PATRICK & M.K.CO SAN FRANCISCO.
EVANSTON BUS COMPANY was formed in 1937 as a consolidation of the Evanston Railway and the Evanston and Niles Center Bus Co., and served several Chicago, Illinois, suburbs. The Evanston and Niles Center Bus Co. was formed in 1930 as a consolidation of the Niles Center Bus Co. and an earlier Evanston Bus Co. The Evanston Bus Company ceased operations in April 1973 due to a strike. Two different badges: the older badge on left has two threaded posts and measures 2½ x 2 ½; the later badge measures 2½ x 2 and has a single threaded post.
EVANSVILLE CITY COACH LINES took over operations from Southern Indiana Gas & Electric Co. 1948 running public transit in Evansville, Indiana. It was a subsidiary of City Coach Lines of Detroit. It shut down operations on January 31, 1959, after claiming it has lost about one million passengers per year. It was succeeded by Evansville City Transit, which ran until 1971 when it was succeeded by the current transit company, Metropolitan Evansville Transit System.
EVANSVILLE CITY TRANSIT succeeded Evansville City Coach Lines in 1959 in Evansville, Indiana, and ran until 1971 when it was succeeded by Metropolitan Evansville Transit System.
EVERGREEN BUS COMPANY See NORTH BEND STAGE LINES, INC.
EVERGREEN TRAILS, INC. / EVERGREEN TRAILWAYS There’s not a lot of info on this company. It owned certificate #185 “authorizing the giving of service as follows: Passenger and Express Service Between: Kirkland and Monohan, Washington, via Redmond, the route between Kirkland and Redmond to be both via the old highway and the new paved highway;” There is a surviving bus schedule from October 8, 1945 showing that the company served Redmond, Kirkland and Seattle “via Blacktop Highway between Redmond ad Kirkland.” Curiously, the company is not mentioned in the 1939 Russell’s Guide, nor in the 1946 or 1954 MTD. Jon Hobijn writes that the company joined the National Trailways Bus System on May 1, 1957 as Evergreen Trailways, while Chicago Transit & Railfan adds that the company was in business from 1939-1991 and was sold to Northwestern Trailways.
Copyright © 2020 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.