BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “F”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
F. O. B. BUS LINE connected Alexandria with Leesville, Louisiana. More info needed.
F.& S. TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was running in South Bend, Indiana, in the late 1910s. There’s little info on this company, other than in the late 1930s Ray C. Shook was its president, and Howard Brotherson was its secretary/treasurer. According to one source the company transported both goods and passengers.
FAIRFIELD TRANSIT CO. Sandston, Virginia: Fairfiled Transit, successor to Seven Pines & Sandston Motor Co., was operating 12 buses over 17 route miles in 1945; on Feb. 13, 1976, the company was taken over by Greater Richmond Transit Company. The badge here measures 2″ x 2½” and has a single threaded post and was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO.
FAIRLICK STAGES, INC. There’s not much info on this company. It was an intercity company operating in Ohio in the 1930s and, according to one source, in 1936 was bought out by Harry Arnold, who was known for acquiring local and intercity bus companies. The last mention in public records is this from the Newark Advocate from Newark, Ohio, on March 21, 1942: “PUBLIC NOTICE OF APPLICATION to TRANSFER. Public notice is hereby given that a joint application has been filed with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio to transfer Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from Fairlick Stages, Inc. to E. C. Carter. The transferee agrees to adopt all tariffs and schedules now on file with the said Commission. . . . (Signed) FAIRLICK STAGES. INC.“
FAIRYLAND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. The Fairyland Hotel was built on top of Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, in 1925. To provide public transportation from downtown Chattanooga to the hotel, the Fairyland Transportation Company was created. (Fairyland Transportation Company was incorporated in Delaware.) The hotel eventually folded, but in May 1929 the bus line was taken over by the Tennessee Electric Power Company, which continued running the company’s Studebaker autobuses.
FALEY & PICKLE RIVERSIDE BUSS LINE ran in Montevideo, Minnesota, before 1920. The company issued fare tokens. (Note: “Buss” is the way the company spelled its name on their tokens. I’d say it’s like a misspelling made by the token company; however, there’s no way in knowing, since the fare token is the only information available on this company.)
FALLBROOK & OCEANSIDE STAGE LINE was operating out of Fallbrook, California, in 1924. Jay G. Tucker was the registered contact.
FARINA’S BUS LINE & TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was incorporated in Illinois on November 1, 1921. The corporation owned and operated three REO motor buses “with a seating capacity of from thirteen to twenty passengers” and ran between Chicago Heights, Illinois, to the state line at Lansing, Illinois. The corporation was acquired by Shore Line Motor Coach Company, which is noted in the April 26, 1926, edition of The Daily Reporter from Greenfield, Indiana: “MERGER OF TWENTY-FOUR BUS ROUTES IS APPROVED Approval of a merger of twenty-four bus routes in northern Indiana was given Saturday by the public service commission in an order authorizing the purchase of the routes by the Shore Line Motor Coach Co., from the Gary Railways Co., Farina’s Bus Line & Transportation Co. and B. P. Shearon.” (Gary Railways Co., Farina’s Bus Line and B. P. Shearon were all part of Samuel Insull‘s interests.)
FARMERVILLE BUS LINE, INC. operated two buses in Farmerville, Louisiana. They were in business in 1956.
FAY MOTOR BUS COMPANY Founded by Thomas J. Fay, Fay Motor Bus Company ran a local motor bus line in Rockford, Ill., in the late 1910s-early 1920s. In the latter part of 1920 the company was also granted a certificate of convenience by the Arkansas Corporation Commission to run a bus line from Little Rock to Camp Pike, and began running on October Monday October, 11, 1920. (This company was operated by Ronald R. Fay, the son of Thomas J. Fay.) The company was founded principally to furnish transportation between Rockford and Camp Grant, which was one of the emergency U.S. Army training camps constructed in 1917. The company charged a 5-cent fare with a 2-cent transfer charge. Since their competitor, the Rockford & Interurban Railway, charged 8 cents with two tickets for 15 cents, a feud quickly developed between the two companies. As a result, in early 1922 the Illinois Public Utilities Commission ordered Fay Motor Bus Company to confine its business to picking up passengers in Rockford and conveying them to points outside the city.
Disaster struck the company in September 1922, as reported in the September 26, 1922, edition of the Belvidere Daily Republican from Belvidere, Illinois: “ . . . last evening about 6:30 o’clock, the Fay Motor Bus company garage on Chestnut Street, Rockford, burst into a mass of flames. Two hours later it was in ruins, only part of the first floor wall remaining erect. . . . The fire, which attracted about 10,000 people to the scene, threatened, for a time to wipe out the entire block . . . Several firemen narrowly escaped death when the walls crashed to the pavement, bringing with them high tension voltage electric and telephone wires. . . . The loss is estimated at about $60,000 and was said to mean the finish of the Fay Motor Bus Company.” (The company lost its entire fleet of 32 buses and all its repair equipment.)
The reason the fire spelled the finish of the company is disclosed in another article: “Insurance, which was carried on vehicles and contents of the building while the company was running full force here last spring, amounting to about $52,000, was dropped later in the year, it was explained by bus company officials. Ronald Fay, manager of the company in the absence of his father, Tom Fay, said, ‘this is the finish of the Fay Motor Bus company in Rockford.’”
The reason behind the decision to drop their insurance may be glimpsed by the fact that in December 1921 the Fay Motor Bus Company’s creditors filed an involuntary bankruptcy proceeding in a federal court. On January 5, 1922 an injunction was issued by the court restraining Fay Motor Bus Company from disposing of any of its assets pending a decision and the appointment of a receiver. Their financial problems are even more highlighted by another newspaper article, which appeared a few months after the fire. The November 17, 1922, edition of the Republican-Northwestern from Belvidere, Illinois carried this: “CHARGE: CHECK 13 BAD. Thomas J. Fay, former president of the Fay Motor Bus Company, Rockford, is wanted on a warrant by Saginaw, Mich. police for passing worthless checks. He has not been in Rockford for several months and is thought to be in Cleveland, Ohio. He went to Saginaw before the fire which destroyed tho motor bus barn at Rockford.”
FEATHER RIVER STAGE COMPANY was operating out of Reno, Nevada’s, Union Stage Depot in 1940.
FEDERAL TRANSPORTATION CO. In the 1920s the White Line Motor Bus Co., Suburban Auto Coach Co. and Federal Transportation Co. merged to form United Motor Coach Co. The company served the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
FENNESSEY BUS LINES was an intercity bus company running in Missouri in 1941. It served the Union Bus Terminal 600 Walnut St., in Jefferson City.
FERENCE BROTHERS BUS LINES was owned by brothers Stanley and Frank Ference and operated a single route between Carnegie and Bridgeville, Pennsylvania. This line was sold to Penn Bus Lines in 1928. In 1936 the Ference Brothers started another bus company—the Ohio River Motor Coach Company, which ran until 1964 when it was acquired by Port Authority Transit.
FERGUSON – BROADWAY BUS LINE / FERG. – BDWAY BUS LINE ran a service in Ferguson, MO., in the 1940s, 1950s & 1960s. In 1963 Bi-State Development Agency (the agency created in 1949 through a compact between Missouri and Illinois and ratified by the United States Congress) acquired 15 private bus companies in the St. Louis, Missouri, metro area forming a coordinated transit system for the region. Included in the Bi-State purchases at the time were the Citizens Coach Co. and Brown Motor Lines of Alton (subsidiaries of the Ferguson-Broadway Bus Line in Missouri), and tho Wood River-Alton Bus Line of Wood River.
FERGUSON-WELLSTON BUS COMPANY was running in 1926 when it was mentioned in the September 8th edition of the St. Louis Star & Times. It was owned and operated by the Angert Brothers and operated between the suburbs of Ferguson and Wellston in the St. Louis, Missouri, metro area. It is mentioned in the September 30, 1927 edition of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle from Brooklyn, New York, as having been incorporated in September 1927. In December 1948 the company took over the St. Charles line of the St. Louis Streetcar System in the St. Louis suburb of St. John, Missouri.
FERLAZZO’S BUS LINE, INC. / FERLAZZO BROTHERS was founded by Joseph Ferlazzo in ca. 1919, and operated between Patchogue and Sayville, Long Island, New York. From a history of Sayville is this bit of info: “In April 1920, Islip Town denied line franchise but Ferlazzo continued service ‘until PSC approved or disapproved of Town Board action’. In April 1921, Town awarded a second franchise for route to Ferlazzo and third to the new Blue & White. In June 1923, Frank Gordon (Blue & White) challenged Islip Town giving charter to Ferlazzo Brothers on basis that one of its partners had not received final citizenship papers; however, Ferlazzo retained franchise. In March 1924, Blue & White and Alanson Still bought all of the shares (but not the busses) of Ferlazzo for $ 12,000.” The February 18, 1923, edition of The Brookly Daily Eagle from Brooklyn, New York gives a bit more insight: “Patchogue, L.I. Feb. 17 The mystery surrounding the failure of Alanson Still, operator of a bus line [A. S. STILL & SON AUTO BUS LINE] between here and West Sayville, to serve the injunction which he took out on Wednesday to restrain Ferlazzo Brothers from operating their rival bus line was cleared today with the arrest of three of the Ferlazzo drivers . . . on the ground that they were driving busses on a line for which no franchise had been obtained. A week ago Still’s franchise was renewed but the Ferlazzo Brothers failed to obtain their renewal. Still charges a 15 cent fare while his rivals charge only 5.” It would seem this company went out of business in 1924 after the brothers sold their shares.
FIDELITY MOTOR BUS LINE, INC. ran in Massillon, Ohio, during the early 1940s and to at least 1977.
FIFTH AVENUE COACH COMPANY The Fifth Avenue Transportation Company, Ltd. was founded on October 29, 1885, in New York and operated a horse-drawn omnibus service. From 1888 on it was controlled by Elliott Fitch Shepard, who was married to the eldest daughter of William H. Vanderbilt. (As an interesting side note, Shepard was a strict Christian and refused to let his omnibuses operate on Sunday!) E. F. Shepard died in 1893 and three years later his company was forced into bankruptcy. The Fifth Avenue Coach Company was incorporated on July 25, 1896. Under the provisions of the Stock Corporation Law, it took over and possessed “the property and franchises of the Fifth Avenue Transportation Company, Limited.” The company ran routes in the borough of Manhattan, New York City, and portions of the Bronx and Queens. Notably it was the first American bus company to use gasoline-powered buses, and became famous for its use of double-decker buses. The next chapter in the company’s history is told in this excerpt from the June 27, 1924, edition of the New York Times: “$25,000,000 COACH MERGER COMPLETED; Fifth Avenue and Chicago Concerns Combine Their Interests at Conference Here.; TO FORM HOLDING COMPANY.; Interborough Rapid Transit Co. Gives Up Its Control of Coach Line.; DEAL MADE BY JOHN HERTZ.; Better Transportation in New York City is Promised by Former Newspaper Copy Boy. John Hertz, who began as a copy boy in a Chicago newspaper office at the age of 11, yesterday at the age of 43 put through a twenty-five-million-dollar merger of the Fifth Avenue Coach Company and the Chicago Motor Coach Company. The plans for the merger were completed at a conference in the banking office of J. W. Seligman Co., 34 Wall Street. As A result of the deal the Interborough Rapid Transit Company, which controlled 51 per cent of the voting stock of the Fifth Avenue Coach Company, agreed to step out, and arrangements were made for the organization of the Omnibus Company of America as a holding company for the interests involved. These are the Fifth Avenue Coach Company, the New York Transportation Company and the Chicago Motor Coach Company.” (A very detailed history of this company can be found here: Fifth Ave. Coach Company. As an aside, John D. Hertz was also the founder of the famous Yellow Cab in Chicago, the Yellow Coach Manufacturing Company, which was later bought out by General Motors, and he started a car rental business that still bears his name. )
In 1954 the Omnibus Corporation sold Fifth Avenue Coach Co. to the New York City Omnibus Corporation, which later renamed the company as the Fifth Avenue Coach Lines. Eventually the service was taken over by the New York City Omnibus Corporation. The first badge is bronze with a single threaded post, and measures approx. 1½” in diameter. The second badge is die-pressed, measures 2″ x 3″ and is made of brass with a pin back.
FIFTH AVENUE COACH LINES, INC. was the successor company to New York City Omnibus Corporation, operating routes of NYCO and the former Fifth Avenue Coach Company. It also was the parent company of Surface Transit, Incorporated. It should be noted that the corporate identity of the company was inherited from NYCO, even though the “Fifth Avenue” name was used.
FINGER LAKES COACH LINES was located in South Aurora, New York, and operated between 1953-1954. It was owned by Harry and Leslie Crispell, who also owned Crispell Charter Service and Crispell Brothers. According to one source it was the former Giddings Bus Lines, which ceased operations in 1954.
FINLEY BUS LINE was founded by Robert H. Finley in Mexico, Missouri, in the early-mid 1940s. The company ran 6 buses over 26 route miles between Mexico and Paris, Missouri. Finley was also the vice president of Northeastern Missouri Greyhound Lines, Inc., which also operated out of Mexico, Missouri. (Finley Bus Line was mentioned in the 1946 MTD but was missing from the 1956 edition.) Robert Finley was also co-owner of Finley-Shotwell Bus Line, which operated out of Kansas City, Missouri.
FINLEY-SHOTWELL BUS LINE In 1946 the company was located at 905 Campbell St., Kansas City, Missouri. It was owned by Robert H. Finley and W. M. Shotwell, and connected Kansas City with Lee’s Summit, Pleasant Hill and Holden, Missouri. By 1956 it was located at 517 Admiral Blvd. and ran 8 buses. Two drivers for the company were Bill Gard and Frank W. Ketchem. Bill Gard, who was known as “Pop, the bus driver” started with Finley-Shotwell Bus Line during World War II and continued for the next 16 years. Frank Ketchum, who died at the age of 97 in 2014, operated a Kansas City streetcar and then drove from Finley-Shotwell Bus Company. Robert H. Finley was also the owner of Finley Bus Line, which operated out of Mexico, Missouri. In addition, he was the vice president of Northeastern Missouri Greyhound Lines, Inc.
FISHER’S BUS LINE See Pocumtuck Bus Line.
F. & L. ST. RY. / FITCHBURG & LEOMINSTER STREET RAILWAY was incorporated in 1886 as a three-and-one-half mile horse car line between Fitchburg and Leominster, Massachusetts. Although the company grew over the coming decades, by 1930 only six streetcar lines remained, with three additional routes being run by buses. In 1932, trackless trolley service replaced the streetcars, but eventually these gave way to diesel buses. In 1946 the company ran 7 trackless trolleys over 12.3 route miles, and 63 buses over 170.7 route miles. By the late 1940s buses had replaced the company’s trackless trolleys. The first badge is from the early streetcar days, was made by the American Railway Supply Co., measures a little over 4″ X 1½ “; the second badge is later, and features a bus logo; the third badge is made of nickel and enamel, measures approx. 2¼” x 2″, has two threaded posts. The third badge is a later style, has two threaded posts and measures a little over 1½ x 3⅓”.
FITZSIMONS BUS & TAXI COMPANY The Denver Tramway Company ran bus lines as subsidiaries until 1933, to avoid complicating their franchise agreements with the city of Denver, Colorado. The subsidiaries operated under revocable permits issued by the city. The first subsidiary was the Englewood & Fort Logan Bus Company, which connected the end of streetcar Rt. 3 in Englewood with the Veterans Administration facilities at Fort Logan. The second was the Fitzsimons Bus & Taxi Company, which connected Fitzsimons Army Hospital with downtown Denver along Colfax, 17th, and 18th Avenues. It was purchased by the Denver Tramway Company in 1929 and operated as a subsidiary until it was dissolved in 1943. A third subsidiary, Bus Transportation Company, was formed by the Denver Tramway Company in 1927. It was absorbed into the Denver Tramway Company in 1933.
FLASH CITY TRANSIT In 1962 Racine Motor Coach Lines was sold to Lakeshore Transit Racine, Inc., which operated bus service under that name in Racine, Wisconsin. That company discontinued operations in 1968 and Flash City Transit took over bus operations. Flash City Transit was a privately owned company, with its principle owner being Jack Taylor, who moved to Racine in 1955 and founded the Flash Cab Company. Taylor also owned Taylor Enterprises, Inc. and it was this company (i.e., Jack Taylor) that managed Belle Urban System, or “B.U.S.”, which took over transit operations in 1975 from Flash City Transit. Belle Urban System was owned by the City of Racine and managed by Jack Taylor.
FLINT-CARO-SEBEWAING BUS COMPANY There’s not much to go on, history wise. It was listed in a 1930s WPA Guide to Michigan, serving Flint, Caro and Sebewaing, Michigan. There is a photo of 1925 company bus ticket posted on line, which means the company was around in that year. In 1938 the owner was Frederick Pye. The company was bought by Fred A. Russell in the early 1940s and merged into Russell Bus Lines.
FLINT CITY BUS I’m not sure what to make of this badge. The owner’s email to this site related: “This came from a badge company that went out of business in Ky. It has a hall mark on back, but I can’t make it out. I think the company was ‘hoag’ — not sure though.” Going on the reference to Kentucky, I find that Flint was an unincorporated community in Calloway County, Kentucky. The badge looks homemade, i.e., a blank was used to place lettering via a letter punch. The badge appears to be made of nickel-plated brass and is of standard size.
FLINT CITY COACH LINES was renamed when the Flint Trolley Coach Company was bought out by City Coach Lines, Inc. It ran in Flint, Michigan, from 1955 until 1964.
FLINT TROLLEY COACH, INC. On June 8, 1936, Flint, Michigan, voters approved a proposal trolley bus system. Eastern Michigan Railways changed its name to Flint Trolley Coach, Inc., and ordered forty-six Yellow Coaches. The company was sold to City Coach Lines, Inc. in 1955 and the name was changed to Flint City Coach Lines. The badge has two threaded posts and no maker’s mark.
FLORIDA-ALABAMA MOTOR LINES was headquartered in Troy, Alabama, in 1946. I can find no mention of the company prior to April 1941, when it applied to operate a bus passenger service between Alabama and Florida. The company was an interstate line serving Pensacola, Florida, Dothan, Alabama, and Columbus, Georgia. It was the successor to Troy, Elba, Dothan Bus Lines. It ran 45 buses over 1220 route miles. The owner was J. Roy Crow. In 1946 the transfer of the company’s franchises to Capital Motor Lines was approved by the public service commissions in Florida, Georgia and Alabama. In April 1947 Capital Motor Lines, which was a National Trailways company, was advertising that it had purchased Florida-Alabama Motor Lines. (Capital Motor Lines was established in 1930. It served Alabama, Flordia, Georgia, Mississippi and Tennessee.)
FLORIDA CITIES BUS COMPANY was a privately-owned bus system operating in West Palm Beach, Florida. Founded in 1925, it served Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, Riviera, Like Park and Morrison Field. In 1946 the company was operating 35 buses over 45 route miles. The company lasted until 1959 when its routes were taken over by Transit Company of the Palm Beaches. The badge is a single threaded post, measures 2″x2¼”, and was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO.
FLORIDA MOTOR LINES, INC. was formed in January 1926 by the firm Stone and Webster by buying and consolidating Florida Motor Transportation Company and White Stage Line Company. Based in Orlando, Florida, the company owned 150 coaches and ran some 1,290 route miles. On October 24, 1929, “a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity was issued to Florida Motor Lines to operate motor busses for compensation in transporting passengers on all the highways of the state then being operated upon by the applicant, and especially over State Highway No. 4, between Jacksonville and Miami.” In 1933 the company moved its office to Jacksonville. In January 1946 Florida Motor Lines was sold to The Greyhound Corporation, which renamed it Florida Greyhound Lines. The new Florida Greyhound Lines was the first wholly owned subsidiary of The Greyhound Corporation.
FLORIDA MOTOR TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was interstate company based in Miami, Florida, and was founded in 1919 by a merger of the Clyde Passenger Express and White Star Auto Line. The line ran as far north as Asheville, North Carolina. The company officers were J. N. Oliver, president and general manager; W. H. Andrews, vice-president; S. P. Rohineau. secretary and H. H. Moore, treasurer. In 1926 Florida Motor Transportation Company was sold to the firm of Stone and Webster, which consolidated it with another bus company (White Stage Line Company) to form Florida Motor Lines.
FLUSHING HEIGHTS BUS CORPORATION was a bus operator in the borough of Queens in New York City. It started operations in 1933 and on September 22, 1935, the company and its 25 buses were sold to the North Shore Bus Company, while some of its routes were taken over by the Queens-Nassau Transit Lines.
RALPH FOLLOWS STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Azusa, California. Ralph M. Follows was the owner/operator.
F. J. & G. R. R. CO. FONDA, JOHNSTOWN & GLOVERSVILLE RAILROAD was organized in 1867 carrying freight connecting its namesake towns over a 132-mile road in east central New York State to Schenectady, New York. It carried passengers from 1870 until the 1980s to the New York Central (NYC) station at Schenectady. In 1902 a merger of the Cayadutta Electric, FJ&G, and Amsterdam Street Railroad took place using the Fonda, Johnstown and Gloversville Railroad name. There are two badges shown below. The first badge was made by Fifth Avenue Uniform Company; is nickel plated with a single threaded post. The second badge has a single threaded post and two pin posts; marked . “AMERICAN RY SUPPLY CO. NEW YORK”.
FORBESTOWN STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Oroville, California. E.A. Boehme was the owner/operator.
FORD & BLESSING BUS LINE began operations on November 1, 1924 running a route into Whitwell, Tennessee. The company was managed by H. W. Blessing. On October 1, 1925 the company began operating its 15-passenger REO buses over the new Dixie Highway, which ran to Winchester, Tennessee via Jasper, Monteagle and Cowan. H. W. Blessing bought Cherokee Motor Coach’s route from Chattanooga to Huntsville, Alabama on May 23, 1932.
FORT BRAGG COACH COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Fayetteville, North Carolina. Authorized Operation: Fayetteville to Fort Bragg, Highway No. 53. It was still operating in the 1940s.
FORT BRAGG UNION LANDING AUTO LINE was operating out of Fort Bragg, California, in 1924. L.F. Thompson was owner/operator.
FT. DODGE, DES MOINES & SOUTHERN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was running in 1927 in Boone, Iowa. In February 1931 it was purchased by Interstate Transit Lines, which was a bus subsidiary of the Chicago & North Western Transportation Company. At the time of the sale the company was operating 38 buses. More info is to be found in Railway Age, Volume 91, 1931: “In May, 1930, Interstate Transit Lines acquired the Sioux Falls Traction System bus line which had a network of routes between Sioux City, Iowa and Sioux Falls, S.D. . . . Early this year a system of local motor coach lines in the vicinity of Des Moines, Iowa, was acquired through the purchase of the Ft. Dodge, Des Moines & Southern Transportation Co. The 550 miles of lines acquired intersect the main line between Chicago and Omaha at several points, and provide feeders to the main line. Thirty-six motor coaches were involved in this purchase.”
Fort Harrison Bus Line Inc. 1959
FORT LAUDERDALE TRANSIT (Fort Lauderdale Transit Lines, Inc.) ran in the city of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, prior to 1967, which is the year Beach Transit took over the system. The badge has to threaded posts.
FORT SMITH CITY LINES There’s only one mention of this company on the Internet, and that is in a 1968 newspaper article mentioning the manager, Roland St. John. It is not mentioned in the 1946-47 edition of the Mass Transportation’s Directory, nor their 1952, 1954 or 1956 editions. Judging by the old style bus on the badge, it looks like the company might date from the 1950s. The badge is die pressed with a single threaded post and a pin post, and measures 2⅝”.
FT. WORTH AUTO BUS COMPANY was a subsidiary of Northern Texas Traction Company and ran in 1921.
FORTUNA-BRIDGEVILLE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Rohnerville, California. C. W. Gordon was listed as an administrator.
FOSTER BUS LINE / D. S. FOSTER BUS LINE was founded in the early 1920s by Dalton S. Foster (1889-1975) in Alma, Michigan. His line served south central Michigan between Clare and Lansing. In April 1945 Foster sold his company to Great Lakes Greyhound, which took over the Clare-Lansing run on April 20. In 1943 Dalton Foster was re-elected to serve a third term as president of the Michigan Motor Bus Association, Inc.
M.C. FOSTER BUS LINE was an intercity company serving Missouri and Iowa. The March 23, 1936, edition of the Cedar Rapids Gazette noted “Operation of the M. C. Foster bus line, for passenger and express service between Cedar Rapids and St. Louis will start Wednesday.” In June 1943 the Interstate Commerce Commission authorized Burlington Transportation Company to purchase M.D. Foster Bus Line. (Burlington Transportation Company would eventually become Burlington Trailways.) One of the company’s drivers was Stanley B. Nicholson, who was interviewed by the local press in 1978: “He has been driving since 1919, and is very proud of his driving record. ‘I taught myself to drive in April 1919 in a Model T Ford touring car. I bought my first car in May 1928 – a Model A Roadster with a rumble seat, which cost $564,’ Nicholson remembers. ‘I worked at the Ice Plant at that time, and it didn’t take long to pay for it, because I was making $23 a week,’ he says. He began working for the M.C. Foster Bus Line in 1936. In 1943 he began his career with Trailways, and began keeping track of the number of people he carried on his bus trips. When he retired in 1971, the number had grown to 473,263 people. Nicholson retired Feb. 6, 1971 from the Continental Trailways Bus System, after driving an estimated 2,500,000 miles for the company. During his career as a bus driver, he was awarded a million mile safety plaque for no personal injury accidents.”
THE $4.00 LINE PORTLAND – SEATTLE This odd sounding company ran a bus line back in the 1930s and was part of the North Coast Lines. The badge has two threaded posts on the back.
FOURET BROTHERS, INC. A certificate of operation was granted on December 12, 1927, “to operate a motor vehicle passenger line within the city of Trinidad, Colorado, and adjacent points.” The company also received approval “to operate an ‘Anywhere for Hire Auto Passenger and Baggage Transportation Service’ in and out of Trinidad and Las Animas, County.” The line served Trinadad, Cokedale and Bon Carbo, Colorado, in 1927-1928 and was still in business in 1930.
FOX VALLEY BUS LINES, INC. was formed by the Aurora Elgin & Fox River Electric Company as a subsidiary to operate a bus service in place of rail service between Aurora and Yorkville, Illinois. The company was acquired by National City Lines in 1936.
FOXBORO-MANSFIELD BUS COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Foxboro, Massachusetts. In 1946 the company served Foxboro, Mansfield, Walpole, Sherborn, Framingham, Easton, Canton, Sharon, Attleboro, Norton, Brockton, Wrentham, and Medfield, Massachusetts, with 25 buses over 66 route miles. The company is not listed in the 1954 MTD.
FRANCISCAN LINES which also operates under the name San Francisco Sightseeing, is located in San Francisco, California. This organization primarily operates in the Sightseeing Bus business / industry within the Local & Suburban Transit & Interurban Highway Transportation sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 51 years. The badge has two threaded posts.
FRANK L. GOULD BUS LINES See GOULD BUS LINES
FRANKLIN BUS LINES served Monroe, Jonesboro and Natchitoches, Louisiana. In the late 1940s and early 1950s they were running two round trips daily to Natchitoches and three to Eros-Chafham- Jonesboro. The company is not listed 1954 edition of the MTD.
FRANKLIN-MURFREESBORO BUS COMPANY, INC. was operating out of Franklin, Virginia, in the mid 1920s. Authorized Operation: Murfreesboro to State Line, destination Franklin, Va., Highway No. 485.
FRANKLIN PARK BUS COMPANY started running in Franklin Park, Illinois, in January 1926. Their route ran from Chicago to Franklin Park. Aside from a court dispute with Wilcox Transportation Company in 1925, there isn’t much more in the way of info on this company.
FRED HARVEY BUS LINES operated out of Springfield, Missouri, in 1941. The bus company used the Union Depot, 303 W. Olive St., and the Greyhound-Union Bus Terminal, 460 St. Louis Street, in Springfield, Missouri. The company was still running in April 25, 1950, when it was mentioned in The Sedalia Democrat from Sedalia, Missouri, as applying to the Missouri Public Service Commission to operate buses from Marshall Junction to Columbia, Missouri over U. S. 40.
FRENCH GULCH-CAMILLO STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Carrville, California.
FRENCH GULCH-CARRVILLE AUTO LINE was operating in the mid1920s out of Trinity Center, California. The contact names were James H. Stone and Dave Willis.
FRESNO MUNICIPAL LINES 1939-1946 Fresno City Lines ran in Fresno, California, from 1939 until 1961 when the City of Fresno took over the bus service. It was renamed Fresno Municipal Lines. The badge has two threaded posts.
FRESNO-ORANGE COVE AUTO LINE was operating in 1924 out of Fresno, California. H.H. Hardwick was the owner/operator.
FRESNO-RIVERDALE STAGE COMPANY was operating in 1924 out of Riverdale and Fresno, California. E. Harris and D.M. Rite were the agents/owners/operators.
FRESNO TRANSIT replaced Fresno Municipal Lines and ran in the city of Fresno, California, from 1967 until 1988. The badge has two threaded posts and was made by “SUN BADGE CO. L. A. COUNTY”.
FRICKLE TRANSFER LINCOLN NEBR. This badge is probably unique. On one side it reads “FRICKLE TRANSFER LINCOLN NEBR.” and on other side it reads “MERIDIAN BUS LINE”. It looks like the Frickle Transfer badge was made by recycling the Meridian badge. It may have been the same company with a name change. The only info I can find on the Net for this company is in the October 17, 1940, edition of The Belleville Telescope from Belleville, Kansas: the article mentions someone shipping via Frickle Transfer. There’s one more, which is an ad in the August 24, 1952, edition of the Lincoln Star newspaper. The badge looks like it is made of nickel.
FRISCO TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / FRISCO TRAILWAYS The company was founded in 1938 as a subsidiary of the St. Louis-San Francisco Railway (Frisco), and began operations on June 17 of that year. They ran between Seneca and Springfield, Illinois, with 8-passenger auto-buses, which were painted “ivory with black fenders, radiator shell and snubbers, and aluminum colored top and wheels. They had a red belt around the middle, they carried the Frisco logo on the side, and displayed the ‘Frisco Transportation Company’ in aluminum colored letters on a red background along the top sides.” By the early 1940s the company was operating regular buses and had added Afton, Oklahoma to their route. In 1950 “the bus company assumed a new identity, separate from the FTC trucking division, by adopting the new name of ‘Frisco Trailways.’” With declining ridership, in the spring of 1962 Frisco Trailways discontinued all passenger bus service. (Information from the November 1986 edition of All Aboard, Vol. 1, #6, published by The Frisco Railroad Museum.)
FRONTIER COACH LINES, INC. / CHAMPLAIN-FRONTIER COACH LINES “Soon after [John D.] Hertz acquired control of Fifth Avenue Coach in 1924, its operations were extended, through new subsidiaries, into other states and Canada. In 1926, Gray Line Motor Tours, which operated sightseeing buses in the City and to outside points such as Bear Mountain, was acquired; in 1929 Frontier Coach Lines was organized in Massachusetts to operate a line between Boston and Montreal and sightseeing buses in Boston; and in the same year Champlain Coach Lines, a New York corporation, was organized to operate a line between New York and Montreal.” (Swaine, Robert T. 2007. The Cravath Firm and Its Predecessors 1819-1947. New Jersey: The Lawbook Exchange, Ltd.) Since the company was under the same ownership as the Champlain Coach Lines, Inc., it was often advertised as the Champlain-Frontier Coach Lines and indeed the two companies issued joint bus schedules. In the 1930s and 1940s the company’s president and director was Frederick T. Wood, who was also a director and VP of Madison Avenue Coach Company, Inc.; director and vice-chairman of the Board of the New York City Omnibus Corporation; a director and chairman of the Board of the Fifth Avenue Coach Company; a director and president of the Champlain Coach Lines. In 1940 the company ran 9 buses over 238 route miles; it was not listed in the 1946 MTD.
A.G. FRUITS STAGES LINES was operating out of Tres Pinos, California, in 1924. A.G. Fruits was the owner.
FRURIP BUS LINE began an intercity bus service from Lagrange, Indiana, in 1925. The company’s schedule was printed in the August 18, 1927, edition of The Waterloo Press from Waterloo, Indiana: “The Frurip Bus Line of LaGrange, under the management of. J. K. Duff, has established a motor bus line through Waterloo, the schedule taking effect on Tuesday of this week. This schedule was inaugurated after the discontinuance of the bus line of the Indiana Service Corporation on Monday. The following is the schedule: ‘ Leave 7 A. M. Fort Wayne for Waterloo; Pleasant Lake; Angola; LaGrange; Kendallvllle.“
There is an interesting article about his company published in the May 23, 1925, edition of the The Indianapolis Star from Indianapolis, Indiana, which outlines Frurip Bus Line’s battle with city officials over a permit. If I read this right, it seems to say that Frurip Bus Line was part of the local street railway company: “The Frurip bus line of Lagrange asked for a beginner’s certificate for the route from Fort Wayne to Kendallville, said Mr. Latta. ‘A common carrier undertakes to carry all persons. We propose to show that this operation has not been authorized in compliance with the act of 1913, which provides ways for a person or corporation to obtain the right to use streets and highways for private gain. The Indianapolis jitney ordinance does not purport to grant the right to use the streets, and an ordinance cannot supersede a law. To use the streets lawfully there must be a contract under the 1913 law. We shall show that the petitioner never had a contract, but paid only license fees, and that doesn’t constitute a right to carry passengers and make money. We shall show that the petitioner has persistently violated the law denying the use of Monument circle as a station for the loading and unloading of passengers, and as a waiting place for carriers. We contend that the petitioner is not entitled to a certificate as a matter of right, but must file his application as a beginner and be heard on the question of convenience and necessity. Mr. Latta asserted that Sec. 2 of the bus regulation law, which establishes ninety days of lawful operation as a warrant for a certificate without further proof of convenience and necessity, Is an unreasonable classification, and is violative of the Federal constitution. . . . Commissioner Jones suggested that questions of constitutionality were for the courts and not the commission to decide, and Mr. Latta agreed with him. ‘The street railway company claims,’ continued Mr. Latta, ‘that it is operating under a permit requiring it to give all the service the city requires. Until April 25 it did not have the corporate power to operate busses. The Supreme court of Indiana said in the Greensburg water case that an indeterminate permit has the effect of a new contract. We maintain that the permit prevents any other person from giving any kind of service unless we fail. As we offer to give the service, it is our position that the giving of a certificate without proof of our failure to perform the service constitutes a violation of our contract with the state.’ Mr. Henderson emphasized the question of the coach company’s reported refusal to accept colored persons, declaring that such refusal constituted a violation of express statutes and of the constitutional bill of rights, and that the company could not claim to have operated its busses lawfully. He cited a statute providing that all persons shall have equal privileges in public conveyances. Told not to refuse anybody. Mr. Noel followed with a statement for the coach company, declaring that It had been operating for sixteen months, and had hauled 1,680,000 passengers, he said explicit instructions had been issued to accept negroes. Cases of reported refusal were probably explainable, he said, by the failure of the persons to signal the busses properly. Drivers had been discharged for not accepting negroes, he declared. ‘We do not believe there is any merit to the contentions offered here,’ he continued. ‘We contend that we have faithfully followed all laws and ordinances, if not in strict form, then substantially. If any errors appear in the records, they are due to clerical slips, or to inadvertent omissions. As indicated in the attorney general’s opinion, we do not believe a special grant is necessary. The attorney general’s opinion answers thoroughly the contention about compliance with the 1913 law.’ Mr. Noel referred here to an opinion of Attorney General holding that truck and bus operators could not be said to have been operating unlawfully, because they did not obtain a franchise or grant.“
C.R. FUDGE AUTO LINE was operating in 1924 out of the Collins Hotel in Fresno, California.
FUGATE & GIRTON The only information on this company seems to indicate a shipping company in Springfield, Ohio. However, the badge clearly shows a bus. The badge is a single threaded post.
FULLERTON-PLACENTIA BUS LINE was operating out of Fullerton, California, in the 1924. Cory G. Hoff was the owner/operator.
FUQUA BUS LINES was founded by Joe T. Fuqua in June 1932. By 1957 it was running ten buses, including a Flxible, a GM and a 1956 Chevrolet airport limousine. Located in Bowling Green, Ky., it ran a regular schedule from Bowling Green to Owensboro, Kentucky’s, Greyhound Station on 311 E. Main Street. It also served Mogantown, Cromwell, Beaver Dam, Hartford, Smiths Green, Scottsville, Somerset, Glasgow, Edmonton and Columbia, Ky.
LOUIS A. FUOCO BUS LINE ran in Suffolk County, on Long Island, New York, from 1962 until 1996. It was based in East Patchogue and served Patchogue, East Patchogue, Hagerman, Bellport, South Haven, Mastic, Mastic Beach, Port Jefferson, Medford, Coram, Ridge, Calverton, and Riverhead.
Copyright © 2019 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.