BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “H”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
H. & A. AUTO LINE was operating auto-buses in 1924 out of Los Angeles, California. F. J. Rice was the owner. The company’s investors were C.F. Haguewood and T.H. Adams, hence the name of the company.
HCBDA See HUNTERDON CENTRAL BUS DRIVERS ASSOCIATION
H. & F. TRANSPORTATION COMPANY This was a charter bus company, mostly supplying school bus service in Albuquerque, N. M. It was running in the mid 1970s. The badge is a single threaded post type with a single threaded post, die pressed.
HRC See HARRISBURG RAILWAY COMPANY.
HALF MOON BAY STAGE LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of Half Moon Bay, California. W. J. Azevedo was the owner. (The company was also operating a draying company.) The owner also operated Azevedos Auto Stage Line from Half Moon Bay to San Mateo, California.
HRC / See HARRISBURG RAILWAY COMPANY,
HAMBURG BUS COMPANY was a bus subsidiary of the Hamburg Railway Company, Inc., and was founded in 1925 to operate in the southern suburbs of Erie County, New York. (The Hamburg Railway Company was incorporated in 1895.) Interestingly, the company is listed in the 1946 MTD not as Hamburg Bus Company, but Hamburg Railways Company, and was running 30 buses over 116 route miles. That same year the company was purchased by the Buffalo Transit Company, and served Hamburg, Ebenezer, West Seneca, Blasdell, and Gardenville.
HAMILTON BUS CORPORATION was founded in 1929 in Manhattan, New York City, and operated one line (the Houston Street-Avenue C bus route) from 1933 until 1935. The company and its route was taken over by the Triangle Bus Corporation in 1935.
HAMILTON CITY-CHICO STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Hamilton City, California. Martin and Rosebrook were the owners/operators.
HAMILTON CITY LINES There were several different companies using this name in the transit history of Hamilton, Ohio. The first was operated from 1933-1946 by the Cincinnati & Lake Erie Railroad Co. A different company by that name ran from 1946 until 1959 when it was succeeded by Hamilton Transit Lines, which ran for one year only: 1960. There was no transit service in Hamilton from 1960-1961, when St. John Transportation Company of Dayton, Ohio, started running buses under the name Hamilton City Lines. This compnay ran from 1961 until 1973 when it was succeeded by The Bus Company, which ran until 1996.
HAMILTON TRANSIT COMPANY I’m not sure if this is the same entity as Hamilton Transit Lines, which is mentioned above. In the Ohio newspaper, Hamilton Daily News Journal of Dec. 7, 1955, the local transit company is called Hamilton Transit Company and was issuing tokens. The only tokens listed in the Atwood-Coffee Catalogue is for Hamilton Transit Lines, which was running buses in the 1950s in Hamilton, Ohio. The badge measures1 ⅞” x 2 ¾” and is die struck with two threaded posts.
HAMMAN STAGE LINE was operating a 38-mile route between Salem and Mill City, Oregon, in 1923.
HAMMOND-THREE RIVERS AUTO LINE was operating in 1924 out of Three Rivers, California. E.J. Briggs was the operator.
HANFORD-CORCORAN-TULARE-LINDSY AUTO STAGE ROUTES was operating out of Hanford, California, in 1924. C.J. Graham was the operator.
HANNIBAL TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was incorporated in Hannibal, Missouri, in ca. 1925 with the following officers: P.W. Fletcher, president; Carl D. Sultzman, vice president; D.H. Hafner Jr., secretary; S.O. Osterhoust, treasurer; and Fred W. Hogg, manager. (In 1925 Percy W. Fletcher would help found the Missouri Transit Company, Inc.) The company ran 18 buses over 27 route miles in 1946. It was still running in 1956 with 8 buses over 20 route miles.
HANSEN MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY There seems to be no information on this company other than it operated in Michigan in the 1930s. (It is listed in the WPA Guide to Michigan.)
HARFORD MOTOR COACH COMPANY, INC. / HARFORD MOTOR COACH TOURS In 1954 this intercity company was operating out of Baltimore, Maryland, with 4 buses. It was owned by partners John A. and Frank L. Rossi. In 1956 it had a fleet of 14 buses. The company was still in business in 1974, and an online search reports the company as still active, although there is no business address. The badge looks to date from the 1950s, is nickel-plated and has two threaded posts. Some badges are marked MODERN STAMPING COMPANY BALTIMORE MD. on the reverse.
HARRAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. I’ve found some bits and pieces of conflicting information on this company. One says it was founded in 1968 and “. . . is a mid-sized organization in the bus charter service companies industry located in Coram, NY. It has 200 full time employees.” A notice in the The New York Times for Feb. 15, 1987, stated that the company ran 250 buses and had been operating the Merrick, Long Island, bus terminal for the past 30 years, which means it was doing business in 1957. It does seem certain that after leaving Merrick, L.I., the company relocated to West Babylon. Another Internet account says this about the company’s demise: “The 88 year old Harran Transportation Company, known in later years as a premiere luxury service provider to the Casinos of Atlantic City from Long Island, abruptly closed its doors just days before Christmas in 2006 abandoning both long time drivers and loyal customers.” If it was 80 years old in 2006, that would place the company’s founding to 1918. So, there you have it!
HRC / HARRISBURG RAILWAY COMPANY, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The following is an excerpt from the September 24, 1938, edition of the Harrisburg Telegraph from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania: “The Harrisburg City Passenger Railway Company was incorporated April 1, 1873, to open the first public service within the city — horse cars. In the next few years, other lines opened — the East Harrisburg, the Citizen’s Transit, the Central Pennsylvania, the Harrisburg Traction Company and the Harrisburg Railway Company. In later years, the latter corporation operated all the lines under lease. . . . The Transit Company of Harrisburg, organized in 1933 as a bus line owned by the Harrisburg Railways Company, put its first twenty-two buses in operation here April 22, 1934, on the Riverside Reservoir line.”
The following info is from Wikipedia: 1895: The Harrisburg Traction Company was formed by a merger of the Harrisburg City Railway and the Citizen Passenger Railway Company. 1913: Harrisburg Traction Company formed Harrisburg Railways Company. 1933: Ten buses purchased to convert three streetcar lines to bus service. 1937: Harrisburg Traction Company changed its name to Harrisburg Railways Company. 1939: The last Harrisburg Railways Trolley was operated on July 16, 1939, on the Middletown line some 74 years after the introduction of horse drawn trolley service and 66 years after the introduction of electric powered trolley service in Harrisburg. 1955 Harrisburg Railways Company became a subsidiary of American Transportation Enterprises, a management firm based in Cincinnati, Ohio. 1973: Harrisburg Railways Company transferred its assets to Capital Area Transit. The badge has two threaded posts and was made by Fifth Avenue Uniform Co. 19 So. Wells Chicago.
HART BROTHERS STAGE LINE was owned by Frank S. and Kenneth D. Hart. Starting in 1922 they ran a bus service between Quilcene and Port Townsend, Washington.
HART BUS LINES, INC. was operating in 1929 in Saugus, Massachusetts. It served Saugus, Maiden, Revere, Melrose, Winthrop and Boston with some 30 buses over approx. 75 route miles. It was bought out in the 1940s by Rapid Transit, Inc.
HART MOTORCOACH COMPANY, named after its founder and owner, Franklin L. Hart, the company ran interstate buses in the 1920s out of Boston, Massachusetts. An ad for the company reads: “Harts’ Reliable Red Lines Over the Famous Mohawk Trail DAILY 14th year, Beginning Monday, May 24, 1926 Boston, Mass and Albany, N.Y. Connecting at Rindge, N.H. for Petersboro and Fitchburg, Mass. Offices at Dorchester, Boston, Mass.“
In 1925 the company’s owner, Franklin L. Hart, found himself in conflict with the city of Fitchburg, Massachusetts—a conflict promoted by the local railroad executives from the Boston & Maine Transportation Company. The April 16, 1925, edition of the Fitchburg Sentinel from Fitchburg, Massachusett carried the story: “Mr. Hart said after the conflict yesterday that he would be able to continue business the trip from Boston to Keene. Hart said yesterday that the Hart Motorcoach Company has no intention of eliminating its business of picking up passengers here for Boston or other points in the state. We are picking up passengers today and will continue to do so, said Hart. You can inform the public that we prepared to convey them to Boston or any point along our route. Arrests may result if the company will continue to do business, the chief of police said. He stated he had no intention of entering into an argument with Mr Hart. The chief said he had outlined his plan in to Mr. Hart and his representatives and is prepared to have the courts determine whether the bus company had a right to pick up passengers here.”
A followup story is found in the August 15, 1925, edition: “The Suburban Bus Lines’ operation will be in competition with that of the Hart Motorcoach Co., which now runs busses between Boston and Keene, N. H. The Hart Co. has been in difficulties on many occasions because it has been unable to obtain permits from the Fitchburg city council, it has also had trouble in Ayer for the same reason. Operators of the Hart busses have been arrested because no permits were issued allowing them to operate. Another auto bus line from this city to Boston will be in operation Monday by the Suburban Bus Lines, Inc., Thomas L. McCormick announced today. It will technically be operated between Lunenburg and Boston, but the present Fltchburg-Lunenburg busses will connect in that town with the Boston machines. Mr. McCormick said that he has obtained a permit from the Lunenburg selectmen to operate the line. By starting from Lunenburg, it will not be necessary for him to obtain a license in Fitchburg. “
HARTER STAGES This company ran in the early 1920s from Santa Cruz to Watsonville, Salinas and Monterey, California. No further info.
A. HARWOOD STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Laytonville, California. It ran a route to Mendocino. The owner was A. Harwood, who also managed Laytonville Stage Line. Harwood Stage Line and Laytonville Stage Line ran in conjunction with one another. The company was still operating in 1928.
HASTINGS BUS LINE was operated by J.C. Hastings in the mid 1940s out of Durham, North Carolina. Routes: From Durham to Camp Butner over U. S. Highway No. 15.
HASTINGS BUS LINE, INC. was operating in 1954 in Hastings, Nebraska. Curtis Smith was the manager and operated 8 buses over 5 route miles.
HEGEWOOD BROTHERS BUS LINE ran in the 1930s from Chattanooga, Tennessee, to Lafayette, Georgia.
HEMEON BROTHERS MOTOR COACH SERVICE, INC. / HEMEON MOTOR COACH SERVICE, INC. Presumably this company was founded by the Hemeon brothers. In the mid 1930s it was operating as a local and an intercity bus company out of Beverly, Massachusetts, and running two routes from Beverly to Essex via Wenham and Hamilton, and another to Manchester via Highway 127. In 1946 the company ran 4 buses over 17.5 route miles. The company was still operating in 1952, by which time it was a subsidiary of Michaud Bus Lines, Inc., of Salem, Massachusetts. It is not listed in the 1954 MTD.
HEMPSTEAD BUS CORP. started running buses in 1926 and served the Long Island, N.Y. communities of Hempstead, Mineola, Garden City, Freeport, Lynbrook, Baldwin, Hicksville and Levittown. It was absorbed by the Long Island Bus Service.
G. K. HENARD BUS LINE In May of 1925 Barker & Johnson Bus Line began operating a bus route from Whitville to Pikeville, Tennessee. On April 26, 1929, Barker & Johnson sold their Pikeville route to G.K. Henard Bus Line for $7,000. The bus line was still operational in 1932.
HENARD BUS COMPANY ran in the late 1920s from Mountain City, North Carolina, to the Virginia State Line.
HENDERSON BUS LINE began operating in February 1946 from Henderson, North Carolina; it was owned and operated by H.D. McLean.
HENDRICK HUDSON BUS LINES, INC. was running in Hudson, New York in the 1940s as an intercity bus company. In 1956 the company was running from Hudson to Chatham, N.Y., with 6 buses over 18 miles. The company is still active in 2018 in Hudson, N.Y.
HENDRICKSON BUS COMPANY In 1945 the company was headquartered in Bayville, Long Island, New York, and “Mr. Henderson” was listed as its owner. In 1950, Ernest Schenk, who operated his own large transit company in Floral Park (Schneck Transportation Co.), purchased the company and Huntington Coach Corporation. It is listed in the 1952 MTD as serving Oyster Bay, Bayville, Glen Cove, Glenhead, Greenvale, Locust Valley and Seacliff on Long Island, New York. In 1955 the company ran 20 buses over 45 route miles, which is the same year Schneck sold both the Huntington Coach Corp. and Henrdickson Bus Company. Huntington Coach Corp. is still in business and lists Roy K. Davis Bus Inc., Huntington Coach LLC, and Hendrickson Bus Company as part of their “family” of companies.
HEPLE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was founded by Ralph L. Heple in Santa Cruz, California, and took over city bus operations from Auto Transit Company in 1929. Heple died in January 1935 and the company was operated by his widow, Mrs. Ora B. Heple. The company was taken over by Santa Cruz Transit Company in 1946, which operated city bus service until 1970.
HERMITAGE BUS LINE ran in the late 1920s from Sparta to Rockwood, Tennessee.
HIAWASSEE DAM BUS LINE was owned/operated by Donald H. Allen in the mid 1940s. It ran in conjunction with Smoky Mountain Stages, Inc. between Ranger and Murphy, North Carolina.
HIAWATHA MOTOR COACHES The company had a building near the Kansas Avenue bridge in Topeka, Kansas. They issued a schedule in 1954. No other information.
HIAWATHA TRAILS, INC. In the 1930s this company used the bus depot in St. Ignace, Michigan, and ran a route from St. Ignace to Calumet. In the late 1930s it became embroiled in a dispute with Great Lakes Bus Company over the route. This story is told in the November 12, 1937, edition of the Escanaba Daily Press from Escanaba, Michigan: “Situation Complicated — Complicated because of the presence of three companies in this dispute; the situation is this: Hiawatha Trails operated a bus line from St. Ignace to Calumet for several months, surrendering the route to the Great Lakes Bus company in September for $10,000 . . . The Great Lakes company, which took over the route and had been operating on it since September on a temporary permit, now seeks a permanent franchise. Hiawatha Trails is fighting the Great Lakes application and is seeking to reinstate its franchise so that the company can be sold to Northland Greyhound Lines, Inc. E C. Bevan, attorney for Hiawatha Trails, Inc., and the Northland Greyhound Lines, sought to show that the Great Lakes Bus company did not act in good faith in its relations with Hiawatha Trails . . . He charged that tho Great Lakes company, by failing to pay its obligations to Hiawatha Trails, hastened the collapse of the latter company so that it could take over the franchise for the St. Ignaco-Calumet route. ‘They paid $ 10,000 to Hiawatha Trails so they would relinquish the route,’ Bevan asserted. B. M. Brady, attorney for the Great Lakes and Eastern Michigan Lines, denied the allegations, asserting that Bevan’s charges were immaterial to tho case and could not be substantiated. He declared that the Great Lakes company refused to pay certain monies to the Hiawatha company, because tho latter owed even larger amounts to the Great Lakes company. In the heated examination and cross-examination that marked yesterday’s hearing, hardly a question went unchallenged. Many remarks were stricken from the record and much testimony was accepted only conditionally by Commissioner Donnelly.” The May 31, 1938, edition of the same newspaper gives an update: “About 30 Upper Peninsula witnesses are scheduled to be heard, and a few took the stand yesterday, among them . . . [r]epresentatives of the Hiawatha Trails bus line and the Gray Transportation Co., two lines involved in the extension sought by Greyhound, were among the witnesses. Arthur Schrum of Menominee, manager of the Gray line, stated that his company had been offered $20,000 by Greyhound for their route. He said that his company had been operating at a loss for three years. Gerald J. Wyatt, trustee of the Hiawatha Trails line, said that his company had lost $11,000 In less than two years, and that $6,250 had been offered them by Greyhound.“
The court battles were finally settled in April-May 1939 when Northland Greyhound acquired Hiawatha Trails, Inc., along with Sioux Limited Lines, Northwestern Motor Bus Company and Gray Transportation Company, Inc., and absorbed them into their operations
HIBBING TRANSPORTATION COMPANY (See MESABA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY)
HICKMAN, LEWIS JR. See LEWIS HICKMAN, JR. BUS COMPANY.
HICKS & ROGERS TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in the late 1920s out of Stockton, California. George W. Hicks was the owner.
HIGH STREET BUS COMPANY was based in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the mid 1920s. In 1926 the company posted revenues at $2,387 and expenses of $2,387; there is no further mention of the company on the Net after 1926.
HIGHLAND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was operating in the late 1920s out of San Pedro, California. Guy C. Lyons was the registered contact.
HIGHLANDS INN STAGE was operating in 1924 out of Monterey, California. C. Smith was the owner.
HIGHWAY BUS LINES began running buses in 1941 in the Franklin Park, Illinois, area, which was a suburb of Chicago.
HIGHWAY MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s between Raleigh, North Carolina, and Wilmington by Goldsboro and over Highway No. 20.
HIGHWAY MOTORBUS COMPANY began operation in 1922 with intercity Michigan bus service from Detroit to Ann Arbor and Jackson along Michigan Ave., and from Detroit to Lansing and Grand Rapids along Grand River Blvd. In 1924 Highway Motorbus Co. became a subsidiary of Detroit United Railway Company. On September 17, 1928, the Highway Motorbus Company was acquired by Eastern Michigan Motor Buses.
HIGHWAY MOTOR COACH LINE The Windsor, Essex & Lake Shore Rapid Railway Company was incorporated in 1901 and was controlled by the Dominion Traction & Lighting Company. This Interurban line became active on September 19, 1907, and introduced a regional bus service by 1925 as “Highway Motor Coach Line”. It would be acquired by local municipalities: City of Windsor, towns of Kingsville, Leamington and Essex and the townships of Sandwich West, Sandwich East and Sandwich South, Ontario, Canada.
HILL BUS COMPANY, INC. This company was operational in August 1925 where it is mentioned in a Hackensack, New Jersey, newspaper ad. In March 1926 the company was granted a permit to operate between Englewood, New Jersey and the Dyckman Street ferry by the Englewood Common Council.
The May 5, 1932, edition of The Record, from Hackensack, New Jersey, gives some insight on the company’s schedule: “The Hill Bus Company’s franchise to operate in Dumont carries out the scheme to link Westwood with Oradell, Harrington Park, New Milford and Dumont, in its New York-Westwood line. The streets to be used in Dumont are Washington Avenue, on which trips will be made once hourly, and an alternating route via New Milford Avenue, Prospect Street and West Madison Avenue, on a half -hourly schedule.” In May 1937, the company merged with Spring Valley Motor Coach Company, Inc., and Rockland Coaches, Inc., with Ernest Capitani serving as president.
In 1946 the company was located in Bergenfield, New Jersey. In 1954 the company was still in Bergenfield and served New York, New York; Bergenfield, Dumont, Englewood, New Milford, Teaneck, Tenafly and Westwood, New Jersey, with 55 buses over 207 route miles. Ernest Capitani was listed as president. The company was still operational in the early 1960s with Capitani serving as president. It was still in business in October 1965 when Mr. Clyde G. Folley was noted as retiring from the company after 30 years of service and a 25 year safety record. On January 1, 1966, the company was merged into Rockland Coaches, Inc., and ceased to exist as a separate entity. (Rockland Coaches Inc., also known as The Red and Tan Lines, is a commuter coach company owned by Coach USA based in Westwood, New Jersey, that operates commuter bus service between New York City and points in Bergen County, New Jersey and Rockland County, New York, and provides local bus service in both locales north of Route 46.) The badge is die pressed nickel-plated brass with one threaded post. It was made by N. C. Walter & Sons 3 Park Row New York. It measures 2 ¼ x 1 ½”.
HILL BUS LINE was founded by George E. Hill and operated between Bad Axe and Saginaw, Michigan, in the 1930s and into the 1940s. It is listed in the 1939 Russell’s Guide.
HILL’S BUS LINE was operated in the mid 1940s by F.P. and Hattie J. Hill out of Ahoskie, North Carolina. Route: from Ahoskie to Powellsville over N. C. 97, thence to Colerain over N. C. 350, thence over N. C. 45 to Midway on U. S. 17, thence over an unnumbered road from Midway to Merry Hill; from Colerain over N. C. 45 via Harrellsville to Winton, thence over U. S. 158 via Mapleton to Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
HILLSBORO-CHAPEL HILL BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Hillsboro, North Carolina. It ran between Chapel Hill to the Virginia State Line via Hillsboro and Yanceyville, Highway No. 14;
HILLTOP BUS LINES ran a service between Rochester and Zelienople, Pennsylvania, and a local line between Beaver Falls and Rochester. According to one source the company was founded in 1930; however, according to an obituary for Samuel Simon, who died on January 1, 1966, he was a co-founder of the company in 1925 and continued as such until 1939. In 1947 Harry D. Eckles, “trading as Hilltop Bus line, Rochester, PA” was sued for $1,500 in a Salem, Ohio, court.
HINER’S RED BALL LINES, INC. was founded in the 1910s by Ward B. Hiner. The company operated as an intercity bus line in Indiana. In May 1925 Hiner opened the newly-constructed The Red Ball Bus Terminal in Indianapolis, Indiana. Hiner sold his bus company to Hoosier Motor Stage Company before October 1925. An interesting story was reported in the January 23, 1925, edition of the Indianapolis Star from Indianapolis: “Senator Hill after it was made known that the commission had served notice on W. B. Hiner, president of the Red Ball Transit Company and Hiner’s Red Ball Lines, Inc., that it will arrest drivers of his busses if they carry passengers across the Ohio line. The Governor’s investigation was launched following a concurrent resolution introduced in the Senate yesterday by Senator Rowland H. Hill of Carthage. Driver’s to be Arrested. Senator Hill explained that the resolution was occasioned by the report that Mr. Hines had received a telegram from the Ohio commission that bus drivers would be arrested if they bring three basket ball teams into Ohio, today. The company is under contract to carry the teams. The telegram explained that the action would be illegal. Senator Hill declared that arrest of bus drivers for crossing the state line into Ohio would be a violation of the interstate commerce clause of the constitution. The resolution asked that proper state officials take such steps for retaliation for this ‘unfriendly act’ as will seem to them to be necessary and that the state police should be directed to arrest all owners or operators of all Ohio commercial trucks and busses coming into Indiana.” (Unfortunately, we don’t know how this drama played out!)
There are two more newspaper articles about the company; one is from the August 26, 1925, edition of the Logansport Pharos-Tribune from Logansport, Indiana: “A tourist automobile bus equipped with all modem conveniences, to be placed upon the market within the next sixty days, was announced by Ward B. Hiner, former owner of the Red Ball Bus Terminal Co., and Hiner’s Red Ball Lines Inc., today. The plant of the Red Ball lines at Frankfort will be enlarged and a large force of men employed to manufacture the busses. The factory will be under the management of Robert Hiner, a son. The cars which are to be used in sight-seeing trips across the country, will be equipped with a shower bath, 6 sleeping bunks, kitchenette, and an observation platform. Eastern agencies will take the busses as fast as they are manufactured it is announced.”
Another mention is to be found in the October 3, 1925, edition of the Indianapolis News from Indianapolis: “MATTER MAY GO TO COURT In an order written by Frank Wampler, commissioner, the public service commission Friday afternoon refused to grant a rehearing of the cases in which Hiner’s Red Ball Lines, Inc. received certificates of public convenience and necessity to run bus lines from Indianapolis to Richmond and to Lafayette. The Terra Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Company sought the rehearing in the Lafayette case, and the Indiana Motor Transit Company, a subsidiary of the traction company, asked for the reopening of the Richmond case. These two companies resisted the first attempts of the Hiner concern to get the permits. Since the permits were granted Mr. Wampler has been visited repeatedly by Carl Mote, representative of Insull utility holdings, who during recent weeks has been representing or advising the T. H., I. & E. T. C. interests in matters before the commission . . . Since the permits were granted the Hiner Company has been taken over by the Hoosier Motor Stage Company. The commission granted bus certificates to the following: Newcastle Transit Company, Newcastle to Greensburg; B. P. Shearon, Michigan City to Indiana-Michigan; Howard K. Swlaher, Logan Indianapolis: Dow Kaiser to Vevay, and Fred C Phillips . . . The commission authorized Danville-Lafayette Motor sale of the Danville-Lafayette Motor Bus Company line to the Danville-Lafayette Bus Company for $8,000.”
As noted above, Hiner’s Red Ball Line was purchased by the Hoosier Motor Stage Company, after which the company was renamed Indiana Red Ball Lines, Inc. By the beginning of 1926, both Indiana Red Ball Lines and Hoosier Motor Stage Company were in receivership. The fate of the company was announced in the February 12, 1926, edition of the Logansport Pharos-Tribune from Logansport, Indiana: “The public service commission, this afternoon, began drafting an order sanctioning the sales of the Hoosier Stage Lines, Inc., and the Indiana Red Ball Lines, Inc., to competing traction companies and to a private bus company. The commission’s approval of the proposed deals was given at a conference today with Fred B. Johnson, attorney for both the Red Ball and Hoosier stage companies. It marks the exit from the Indiana motor bus field of the Red Ball and Hoosier lines, two of the foremost motor transportation concerns in the state.”
The Union Traction Company of Anderson, Indiana bought the buses and other equipment of the Hoosier Motor Stage Company, as well as their bus station leases. The ultimate fate of Hiner’s Red Ball Lines/Indiana Red Ball Lines is reveled in the March 6, 1926, issue of the Electric Railway Journal: “Abandonment of Bus Line Sought. — In the first 27 days that the Indiana Motor Transit Company, a subsidiary of the Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Company, operated a bus line between Indianapolis and Crawfordsville the gross earnings were $124 and the net loss was $508, according to evidence given the Public Service Commission in an effort to abandon the line. An unusual aspect of the case is that the company bought the line late in February from the Indiana Red Ball Lines, Inc., successor to Hiner’s Red Ball Lines, Inc. No one opposed the request for abandonment.“
HOLBROOK & SHULER TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was operating out of Bell, California, in 1924. Charles B. Holbrook and Vernon H. Shuler were the owners.
HOLLAND-SYLVANIA LINES introduces bus service to suburbs west and northwest of Toledo, Ohio, in 1939. In 1957 Community Traction Co. acquires Holland-Sylvania Lines. In 1971 Community Traction Co. becomes publicly owned Toledo Area Regional Transit Authority. The badge measures approx. 2¼” x 2 ½”; has two threaded posts.
HOLLYWOOD-BURBANK AUTO LINE was operating in 1924 out of Burbank, California. John B. Auld was the owner.
HOLT-LANSING LINES was an intercity bus company that was running in the 1930s between Holt and Lansing, Michigan. The only info on this company is a bus schedule from 1931.
HOLTZ TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was operating in East Liverpool, Ohio, in the early 1950s. By the early 1960s the company was out of business. (See VALLEY MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY and TRI-STATE TRANSIT COMPANY.)
HOME STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Taft, California. C.E. Sansome was the operator.
HOME TRANSIT was a bus company owned by the New Albany & Louisville Electric Railway in 1934. It served New Albany, Indiana and Louisville, Ky. It also ran in Jeffersonville, Indiana from 1973 until 1976, where it succeeded Bridge Transit Co.
HONOLULU RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY, LTD. was founded on June 6, 1898, in Honolulu, Hawaii, which was the same day that Hawaii was annexed by the United States. The company started streetcar operations in Honolulu in 1901, motor buses continually from 1925 onward and trolley buses from 1937-1957. In 1940 the company ran 60 cars and 30 trolley coaches over 22 route miles; it discontinued streetcars on July 1, 1941. In 1940 it was running 91 buses over 88 route miles. The following year the company was running trackless trolleys and buses over 130 route miles. By 1947 it was running 215 buses over 248 route miles. In 1955 there was a hostile takeover of the company by local billionaire Harry Weinberg. On February 25, 1971, the Honolulu city council approved a contract for Mass Transit Lines to take over operations of Honolulu Rapid Transit. The new concern was renamed TheBus. Below is an early streetcar badge and measures 4½” x 1⅜”.
HOOD COACH LINES, INC. began interstate operations in 1929-1930 running a bus route between Atlanta and Columbus, Georgia. The company sold its route between Montgomery, Alabama and Atlanta to Old South Lines in 1934; it sold off other routes to Consolidated Coach Corporation and Union Bus Company. (Consolidated Coach became Southeastern Greyhound Lines in 1931.) The company went out of business after selling of its last operating routes.
HOOD RIVER-PARKDALE STAGES was operating a 13-mile route between Hood River and Parkdale, Oregon, in 1923.
HOOSIER MOTOR STAGE COMPANY / HOOSIER STAGE COMPANY, INC. The April 12, 1925, edition of the Huntington Press from Huntington, Indiana, reported that Marion Motor Bus Corporation’s “Golden Star” line running between Fort Wayne and Indianapolis had been combined with a route of the Hoosier Stage Line of Indianapolis. The joint venture saw the companies ordering new buses: “Several new cars will be. added which will be equipped with all the latest ‘ safety devices, including Westinghouse air cushion shock absorbers. The company also emphasizes the fact that every passenger who rides on the cars is adequately insured.” In the October 3, 1925, edition of the Indianapolis News it was announced that Hoosier Motor Stage Company had purchased Hiner’s Red Ball Lines from owner Ward B. Hiner. (The name was changed to Indiana Red Ball Lines, Inc.) The Hoosier Stage Company, Inc. was advertising in the
The July 18, 1925, edition of the Indianapolis Star from Indianapolis, Indiana, announced the next phase of the company’s history: “MARION, Ind., July 17. Announcement is made in this city that the Fort Wayne division of the Marion Motor Bus Corporation and the Hoosier Stage lines, incorporated, of Indianapolis, have been consolidated, making a direct through service between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne, through Marion. The through service will be inaugurated Sunday morning, when seven new motor parlor cars will be placed in operation. It is said the Hoosier Stage lines will direct the operation of the Indianapolis, Marlon & Fort Wayne lines, and the name, it is said, will be changed to the ‘White Swan’ lines.” Since
In the September 18, 1925, edition of the Alexandria Times-Tribune from Alexandria, Indiana, carried an ad for the new service: “White Swan-Stands for Service Comfort, low rates. Quick service and absolute safety are yours when you ride in the new parlor cars of the White Swan lines. The finest bus line in the country, operated by a company with moral and financial responsibility. To Indianapolis – $1.20 One Way $1.85 Round Trip To Fort Wayne $2.10 One Way. HOOSIER STAGE LINES INC.”
The fate of the company was announced in the February 12, 1926, edition of the Logansport Pharos-Tribune from Logansport, Indiana: “The public service commission, this afternoon, began drafting an order sanctioning the sales of the Hoosier Stage Lines, Inc., and the Indiana Red Ball Lines, Inc., to competing traction companies and to a private bus company. The commission’s approval of the proposed deals was given at a conference today with Fred B. Johnson, attorney for both the Red Ball and Hoosier stage companies. It marks the exit from the Indiana motor bus field of the Red Ball and Hoosier lines, two of the foremost motor transportation concerns in the state.”
More details are found in the March 1926, edition of the Electric Railway Journal: “Union Traction Company of Indiana, Anderson, Ind., has been granted the petition recently made by Arthur W. Brady, receiver for the company, for authority to buy bus equipment of the Hoosier State Lines at a price of approximately $135,000. The petition was granted by the judge of the Circuit Court at Anderson, where receivership proceedings had originally been brought. There are at present sixteen buses on the Hoosier Lines and it is expected that additional equipment will be purchased from Mack Trucks, Inc. Mr. Brady stated that leases on bus stations used by the Hoosier Stage will be sought, and that several other details will require attention before the final transfer of the bus equipment is made.”
HORNELL ALLEGANY TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was founded in 1914 by Neil McGreevy in Hornell, New York. It is mentioned in a public record when McGreevy filed a complaint in September 1915 with the New York Public Service Commission against Lewis S. Beyea for operating a bus line over the same route as HATC. In 1930, McGreevy was quoted in a newspaper article that the company had been in business “more than fifteen years.” In 1946 the intercity company was serving Hornell, Almond, Alfred, Andover, Wellsville, Scio, Belmount, Friendship, Cuba and Olean, New York with 4 buses over 71 route miles.
HORNELL MOTOR COACH COMPANY was a private bus company that succeeded the Hornell Traction Company, which ran streetcars from 1909 until August 1, 1926. According to one source Hornell Motor Coach Company took over in 1926 and ran until 1955, when it was running 12 buses. (It is mentioned in a 1944 newspaper article and is listed in the 1946, 1952 & 1956 editions of MTD—keeping in mind that the information for the 1956 edition of MTD was gathered in 1955, which means this last edition of MTD doesn’t contradict it going out of business in 1955.)
Horrell Transportation Company (Pittsburgh PA) 1959
HORACE F. WOOD AUTO LIVERY COMPANY Horace F. Wood operated a 3rd generation business on monument circle downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. He lived from 1857 until 1940. The badge was made by Fifth Avenue Uniform Co. 19 So. Wells Chicago and has a single threaded post.
HORNBROOK-COPCO STAGE LINE was operating in 1924 out of Copco Lake, California. Owners were Daggett and Moore.
HORNBROOK-HAMBURG-HAPPY CAMP AUTO LINE was operating in 1924 out of Hornbrook, California. L.H. Newton was the operator.
HORNITOS-MERCED FALLS AUTO LINE was operating in 1924 out of Hornitos, California. William E. Arthur was the owner/operator.
HORSESHOE STAGES operated an intercity bus line between Austin and Houson, Texas, in the 1920s. It also operated two branch lines extending from Austin to Lampasas and from Brenham to Huntsville. It was owned by H. H. Winn, Jr. who traded the company in 1930 to Hal Peterson and Charles V. Peterson of the Kerrville Bus Company, Inc. for a 1,800 acre farm located near Kerrville. Horseshoe Stages went out of business in 1930 when their routes were absorbed by Kerrville Bus Company.
HOT SPRINGS STREET RAILWAY COMPANY ran in Hot Springs, Arkansas, from 1913 until 1963. When streetcars were discontinued in 1938, the company ran buses. On July 1, 1966 the Hot Springs Street Railway was sold to Spa Transit, Inc.
HOYLE’S BUS TRANSFER was operating in the mid 1920s in Gastonia, North Carolina. It was owned by J.M. Hoyle and ran from Gastonia to Cramerton via Lowell, McAdenville and Ranlo, Highway No. 20.
Hotard Bus Lines – connected New Orleans with Reserve LA.
HUDSON BUS LINES / HUDSON BUS LINES, INC. It should be noted that there are two Hudson Bus Lines companies, both owned by the same man. The first was founded by Kenneth Hudson in the 1930s in Medford, Massachusetts. In the 1940s Hudson bought Canton & Blue Hill Bus Line, Inc., which he operated as a subsidiary. The second company was founded by Kenneth Hudson when he incorporated under the name Hudson Bus Lines, Inc. on June 29, 1951. In 1954 this company was headquartered in East Weymouth, Massachusetts, and served Abington, Braintree, Hingham, Rockland, Weymouth and Whitman with 21 buses over 51 route miles. Kenneth Hudson was listed as president. That same year Kenneth Hudson was listed as owner of the original Hudson Bus Lines, which was still operating out of Medford (note there is no “Inc.” on the company name), with 105 buses over 75 route miles; this company served Abington, Braintree, Hingham, Rockland, Weymouth, Boston, Medford, Arlington, Stoneham, Lawrence, Methuen, Lowell, Haverhill, Wakefield and Peabody, Massachusetts. The 1954 MTD noted that this company controlled Canton & Blue Hill Bus Line, Inc. In the 1980s the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority had subsidy agreements with Hudson Bus Lines for various routes in the Boston area. In the early 1990s the company began discontinuing its routes, which were absorbed by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. Hudson Bus Lines was dissolved on August 31, 1998. The badge is made of nickel plated metal, is die pressed and has a pin post and single threaded post.
HUDSON TOURING CAR LINE was operating in the mid 1920s from Brevard to South Carolina State Line, Highway No. 284 on route to Greenville, S. C.
HUDSON TRANSIT LINES THE SHORT LINE also HUDSON TRANSIT SHORT LINE “Short Line” is a brand name for three different Coach USA companies, Hudson Transit Lines, Hudson Transit Corporation, and Chenango Valley Bus Lines that provide local, commuter and intercity bus service in lower New York State, primarily along the Route 17 and Southern Tier corridor. There are two different badges with almost the same name. I’m not sure if the badges below are for two different companies, or an earlier and later badge for the same company.
HUDSON TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. In 1930 this company took over transit service in Glens Falls, New York, from Hudson Valley Railway Co., which had discontinued its streetcar service. In 1946 the company was running 31 buses over 40 route miles as a city bus line. In the November 28, 1952, edition of the Times Record from Troy, New York, we find this: “Transfer Hearing is scheduled by the State Public Service Commission Monday at 10 a.m, in Albany on a petition for transfer of a certificate of convenience and necessity for bus operation in the Glens Falls area from the Hudson Transportation Co., Inc., to the Adirondack Transit Line, Inc. The first named corporation now operates buses from Glens Falls, Hudson Falls, Fort Edward, Saratoga Springs and South Glens Falls. An associated petition on which a hearing will be held relates to the application of the L.B.K. Lines, Inc., and the Hudson Transportation Lines, Inc. A third petition is made by the Hudson Transportation Co., Inc., for consent to lease a garage to the Adirondack Transit Lines, Inc.” Despite the above, in 1954 the Hudson Transportation Company was listed in MTD as an intercity line serving Glens Falls, Hudson Falls, Wilton, Saratoga Springs, Schenectady and Albany, New York, running 29 buses over 68 route miles. However, in the 1956 edition of the MTD the company was gone and the Adirondack Transit Company was listed as an intercity company located in Glens Falls. The badge measures 2 ⅜”x 2⅛”.
HUNT BUS LINE / LAWNDALE BUS LINE In the North Carolina Utilities Commission report for 1945-46, the Lawndale Bus Company held Certificate No. 549 and was owned by O. S. Hunt (Orphas Sherill Hunt, 1905-1996). Passenger routes were as follows: “Beginning at Lawndale; thence over an unnumbered highway to Caesar; thence over Highway No. 10 to Polkville; from Polkville over Highway No. 26 to Owen’s Service Station; thence over an unnumbered Highway to Double Shoals; thence back to Owen’s Service Station; thence down Highway No. 26 to Shelby from Shelby over Highway No. 18 to Fallston; from Fallston over Highway No. 180 to Lawndale.” In the 1952 MTD the company had been renamed by O. S. Hunt as Hunt Bus Line. In 1954 the company was running 6 buses over 60 route miles. Two years later, it was running 5 buses over 50 route miles. In 1964 the company was still in business. The badge is nickle-plated brass.
HUNTERDON CENTRAL BUS DRIVERS ASSOCIATION HCBDA is a unionized association of drivers who provides bus service for the Hunterdon Central Regional High School in Flemington, New Jersey. The drivers are employees of the Hunterdon Central Regional High School Board of Education. Hunterdon Central Regional High School is “a comprehensive, four-year public high school, and regional school district that serves students from five municipalities in east central Hunterdon County, New Jersey. Students hail from Delaware Township, East Amwell Township, Flemington Borough, Raritan Township and Readington Township.” The badge has two threaded posts; hallmarked: “THE WHITEHEAD HOAG CO. NEWARK NEW JERSEY”; measures approx. 1 ¾ x 2 ¼.
HUNTINGTON COACH CORPORATION was incorporated in September 1927 in Huntington, New York. From the company’s website we get more info: “Founded in 1927 by the Dempsey family of Huntington, Huntington Coach began operating as a public transit company, serving the town of Huntington. During World War II, the company transported workers to local factories. In 1950, Ernest Schenk, who operated his own large transit company in Floral Park [Schneck Transportation Co.], purchased the company from the Dempsey family for his son, who wished to enter the transportation business. This idea didn’t pan out, and in 1955, Mr.Schenk sold both Huntington Coach and it’s sister company, Hendrickson Bus (another small transit company, also founded in 1927, that he had purchased from the Hendrickson family in 1950), to Mr. James Clifford (a former driver and labor leader at Schenk Transportation) and his wife, Dorothy Clifford. At the time of this purchase, Huntington Coach operated fifteen transit buses for the town of Huntington, and Hendrickson Bus operated fifteen transit buses and two buses transporting school children for the Bayville-Brookville-Locust Valley Schools.
“In 1956, Mr.Clifford contracted with the Cold Spring Harbor School District, and the Oyster Bay, East Norwich School District, beginning the company’s transition to School Bus transportation. Two years later, in 1958, Huntington School District was added. Later, Glen Cove (1964), Harborfields (1974), South Huntington (1977), Syosset (1988), Elwood (1989), the Suffolk County Special Needs Pre-School Program (1993) and Manhasset (2005) followed.“
HUNTSVILLE TRANSIT COMPANY According to EDEN OF THE SOUTH A Chronology of Huntsville, Alabama, Huntsville Transit Company went out of business in 1977 after “more than forty years of service.” That would place the company’s founding in 1936 or so. However, Chicago Transit & Railfan web site lists Huntsville Transit Company’s founding after 1961, with Crescent Motors running buses in Huntsville from 1939 until 1961. (Crescent Motors was a subsidiary of Crescent Stages, Inc. and operated transit systems in Huntsville, Anniston and Gadsden, Alabama, during the 1930s, 1940s & 1950s.) In the 1946 edition of MTD Crescent Motors was listed as operating buses in Huntsville, whereas by 1954 MTD was showing Crescent Motors had changed the operating name to Huntsville Transit, Inc., while listing the operating officers of Crescent Motors. This is somewhat telling since Crescent Motors supposedly went out of business in 1954-1955. In the 1956 edition of MTD Huntsville Transit, Inc. was shown as running 14 buses over 21 route miles in leaving Huntsville Transit. However, the general manager was W. P. Acker, who was the president Crescent Motors and Crescent Stages, Inc.
HURON SHORE BUS LINE Not much info on this company other than it was owned and operated by Albert Rivet in Alpena, Michigan, in the 1930s and 1940s and ran between Alpena and East Twas, Michigan. It was taken over by Great Lakes Greyhound in 1945. This ad in the September 28, 1945, edition of the Detroit Free Press from Detroit, Michigan, is the only mention of the former company on the Net: “Beginning October 1st For your greater convenience, Greyhound offers improved service stepping up schedules over the route formerly served by the Huron Shore Bus Line. 3 Through Trips Daily to ALPENA HARRISVILLE GREENBUSH OSCODA and points between.”
HUTCHINSON BUS & CAB COMPANY was founded by Howard L. and James O. McVay in Hutchinson, Kansas, in January 1945. The company started with five new 27-passenger Ford buses. In 1953 the company operated an ambulance service in Hutchinson and Reno Counties. In 1954 the company was operating 16 buses over 15 route miles. The badge measures 2¼” x 2 1/16″, is made of metal with one threaded post, and was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY.
HYDE HUB CITY LINES / HYDE CITY BUS COMPANY V. Heathman’s Aberdeen Bus Service was running in Aberdeen, South Dakota in the 1930s-1940s; this company was succeeded by Hyde Hub City Lines, which was owned by D.B. Hyde, who also owned Rapid Traction Company in Rapid City, South Dakota. In 1946 Hyde was operating 8 buses over 8 route miles. At some point by the early 1950s the company name was changed to Hyde City Bus Company and was running 3 buses over 10 route miles. By 1956 the company was out of business.
Copyright © 2020 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.