BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “I”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
I.R.T.CO. INTERBOROUGH RAPID TRANSIT CO. was the private operator of the original underground New York City Subway line that opened in 1904, as well as earlier elevated railways and additional rapid transit lines in New York City. The IRT was purchased by the City in June 1940. The former IRT lines (the numbered routes in the current subway system) are now the A Division or IRT Division of the Subway. The badge measures 2″ in diameter and was made by Henry Moss & Co. Bklyn N.Y.
I.U. BUS LINE There’s not much information on this intercity Indiana company. The 1939 Russell’s Guide gives this info: “Ives Hendricks manager. Bloomington to Terre Haute / Brazil to Bloomfield” The company advertised: “the only direct service between Bloomington and Terre Haute”. According to one source the company was taken over by Indiana Stages.
I – V COACH LINES / INDIANAPOLIS & VINCENNES COACH LINES Indianapolis & Vincennes Coach Lines operated from 1930’s thru the 1970’s, and ran between Indianapolis and Vincennes, Indiana. The badge has two threaded posts and measures 2 ⅝” x 2 ⅜”.
ILLIANA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was operated by James W. Miller from Gary, Indiana, through Western Indiana and Eastern Illinois in 1922. The company was owned by Blue Bus Line.
ILLINI SWALLOW LINES had its beginnings in 1924 as Illini Coach Co., operating in Illinois, and in 1925 as Swallow Coach Lines, operating in Indiana. Illini Swallow Lines continued to operate main route from Indianapolis to Peoria, later extended to Davenport, Iowa, until 2000, when route transferred to Burlington Trailways. A few years later, Illini Swallow Lines charter operations was acquired by Star Of America Motor Coach Services. The badge has one threaded post and measures 2½”
ILLINOIS HIGHWAY TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. / ILLINOIS HIGHWAY LINES began operations in 1927 by the Mehl family. The original route for this company was from Peoria to Decatur, Illinois. In 1946 the company operated 21 buses over 147 route miles. It served Peoria, Creve, Couer, Pekin, Delavan, Lincoln, Mt. Pulaski, Latham, Decatur, Maroa, Clinton, Heyworth and Bloomington, Illinois. By 1957 the company was operating 34 buses over 325 route miles. In 1950 the company began using the name Illinois Highway Lines, and used both company names on into the 1970s. It ceased operations in 1972. The badge was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY, 19 SO WELLS, CHICAGO; it has a single threaded post.
Illinois Roadway Lines ran in 1927 in Kankakee, Ill.
ILLINOIS TRANSIT LINES, INC. This intercity company began operating buses in 1935 after it took over operations from Central Illinois Traction Company. In 1954 the company took over routes north of Springfield, Illinois, from Illinois Greyhound Lines. In 1958 the name was changed to Crown Transit Lines, Inc. In July 1965 the company, doing business in Springfield, Illinois, as Crown Tours, applied for a license to engage as an interstate carrier for passengers and their baggage, for charter and special operations. Crown Transit Lines continued until 1984. After 1984 the company still offered service under the name Crown Travels. It closed in 1989.
IMLAY CITY-BAD AXE BUS LINE operated between Bad Axe and Detroit, Michigan. It was owned by W. L. Perry and was running in the 1930s and 1940s. It served Lum, North Branch, Clifford, Marlette, Kingston, Wilmot, Deford, Cass City, Gagetown and Owendale. According to one source in 1947 it was bought out by Great Lakes Greyhound, however it is not listed in the 1946 MTD.
IMPERIAL BEACH STAGE & EXPRESS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Imperial Beach, California. G.J. Nixon was the operator.
IMPERIAL STAGE COMPANY, LTD. ran in 1927 out of Seattle, Washington. The line ran as far south as Portland, Oregon.
INDEPENDENCE HOTEL STAGE LINE was operating out of Independence, California, in the mid 1920s. H. Levy was the owner.
INDEPENDENCE MONMOUTH STAGE was running a route between Independence and Monmouth, Oregon, in 1923.
INDEPENDENT BUS LINES was operating in the mid 1940s out of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It was owned/operated by John L. and wife Emma J. Gilmer, Powell and wife Daisy V. Gilmer as a partnership. It was affiliated with Atlantic Greyhound Corporation.
INDEPENDENT STAGE was operating a 21-mile route between Portland and Scappoose, Oregon, in 1923.
INDIAN COACH LINES was an intercity bus company, which, according to an ad from 1932, ran from “coast to coast”. For certain the company was operating in Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey in the early 1930s through the mid 1930s. There’s not much info on this company, other than a few brief newspaper ads. One item of note was a Friday, January 25, 1935, news item wherein it was reported that “more than a score of persons” were poisoned from carbon monoxide gas on board an Indian Coach Lines bus en route from New York to Chicago, with one of the victims dying. (The driver was 36-year-old Morris Posnak of Bayonne, N.J.) The company is not listed in the 1939 Russell’s Guide. The badge is die pressed and has one threaded post.
INDIAN TRAIL LINE / INDIAN TRAILS BUS LINES, INC. See OWOSSO-FLINT BUS LINES, INC.
INDIAN TRAIL STAGES, INC. was an interstate bus company that was incorporated in 1922 and headquartered in Owosso, Michigan. The route was between Saginaw to Flint, and from Flint to Bay City, Michigan. The company is mentioned in the Hammond Times for December 16, 1933: “UNION BUS DEPOT 5036 HOHMAN AVE. [Hammond, Indiana] We Are Agents for the Following Bus Lines: Indian Trail Stages, Indian Transit Lines, Indian Coach Lines, Safeway Lines, Southern Limited Lines, Reindeer Lines, De Luxe Motor Stages, Golden Eagle Lines, Nevins Lines, Jacksonville Bus Lines, Slue Motor Lines, Missouri Transit, Omaha Rapid Transit, Interstate Lines, Crandie Stages, Chicago Northwestern, Liederback Bus Lines, White Star Lines, Santa Fe Trails, Missouri Pacific. BUS INFORMATION: if you are traveling north, east, south or west, you can get your bus at the UNION BUS TERMINAL, 3036 Hohman Avenue. For ticket information and reservations, phone Hammond 6800. Travel by Bus—It’s cheaper.”
INDIANA BUS LINE COMPANY was running out of Clinton, Indiana, in the late 1910s–early 1920s. It is mentioned in newspapers from 1920 and 1921. The December 8, 1922, edition of the Brazil Daily Times from Brazil, Indiana, carried a story about the company buying a new bus: “The Stunkard Bros. Buggy Company, builders of auto bodies and school wagons, put out on the street today the first of a new style motor passenger bus for the Indiana Bus Line Company of Clinton. The principal feature in which this bus differs from others that the company has been building is that it has an end door. Heretofore the company has had no requests for busses with end doors but the bus companies are coining to see that it is advisable to have end doors and it will likely be adopted on all future busses. The new bus has a seating capacity of 20 passengers with seats running the long way of the car. The Stunkard Company has also built a number of busses with cross seats on one side which are favored by some of the bus companies. The Stunkard Company has just started work on a new bus for the Terre Haute-Sullivan-Clinton line which will be one of the finest busses ever run on an Indiana road. It is to have several new features over the other busses and is to be upholstered in genuine leather.” The Indiana Bus Line Company was still running in 1926 when it posted year-end earnings.
INDIANA MOTOR BUS COMPANY was based in Plymouth, Indiana, and began operations in 1921, running a route between South Bend and Peru. (The company was later based in South Bend, Indiana.) One of the founders was Edmund Jeffirs of Plymouth, Indiana. In 1926, Indiana Motor Bus acquired Red Ball Bus Lines, giving them a route from South Bend via Logansport to Indianapolis. In 1939, Indiana Motor Bus acquired the Fort Wayne-North Manchester Bus Line, giving them a route from Fort Wayne via Rochester to Winamac. In 1943 it operated 35 buses serving 67 communities in northern Indiana. In 1948, Indiana Motor Bus acquired a route to Chicago from Short Way Lines. (That route had been acquired in 1942 from Bluebird Coach Lines, which primarily operated between Chicago and Joliet.) From 1984-1988 the company was affiliated with United Limo, operating between Elkhart and O’Hare Airport. In 1990 the company merged with ABC Coach Lines, forming American Buslines. The company operated until 1996. There are two known badges: the older of the two is die pressed with a pin swivel lock. The second badge is nickel with two threaded posts and has no maker’s mark.
INDIANA MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY In 1907 the Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Company was founded in Indianapolis, Indiana, as a consolidation of several interurban street railway companies. The company was headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. By the mid 1920s Indiana Motor Transit Company was formed as a bus subsidiary. (It was mentioned by name in several 1925 newspaper articles.) In February 15, 1926, an article was reporting this news item: “The largest deal contemplated is that by which the Indiana Motor Transit company, a subsidiary of the Terre Haute, Indianapolis and Eastern Traction Company would receive control of the lines from Indianapolis to Richmond, Lafayette, Crawfordsville, and Martinsville. The purchase price would be $15,000 exclusive of equipment. The Indianapolis Rockville Red Ball line would be sold to the Platter and Baldwin Company now operating a line from Indianapolis to Clinton.” After entering into receivership in 1930, the Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Company was sold at auction on June 23, 1931 to Indiana Railroad; Indiana Motor Transit Company continued as a subsidiary of the new company. (Also see the entry for Midwest Transit Company from Lebanon, Indiana.)
INDIANA RAILROAD SYSTEM / INDIANA RAILROAD was an interurban rail service that also included bus service connecting cities in Indiana. (See Indiana Motor Transit Company.) It was created on July 2, 1930, when Midland Utilities (owned by Samuel Insull) purchased the Union Traction Company of Indiana and transferred ownership to the new company. (The new company combined the operations of the five major interurban systems in central Indiana into one entity.) The company ran buses to augment their passenger rail service. In 1946 the company was operating 146 buses over 520 route miles. Indiana Railroad closed down in 1941. The badge has one threaded post, measures approx. 2⅛” x 2″ and was made by Fifth Avenue Uniform Company, 19 So. Wells, Chicago.
INDIANA RED BALL LINES, INC. See Hiner’s Red Ball Lines and Hoosier Motor Stage Company, Inc.
INDIANA SAFETY COACH, INC. was operating as an Indiana intercity bus line in the 1920s. It operated out of Marion, Indiana. The stock market crash of 1929 brought about the downfall of the company, as it did many other bus lines throughout the nation. By the following year the company was in receivership. The August 28, 1931, edition of the Alexandria Times-Tribune from Alexandria, Indiana, detailed the company’s demise: “Four bus line franchises and other assets of the Indiana Safety Coach Corporation were sold to the Eastern Public Service Corporation for $20,000 with approval of Judge Oren W. Dickey In the Grant superior court at Marlon. The sale was transacted by the First National Bank as receiver for the corporation . . . Bus franchises from Muncle to Peru, Marlon to Warsaw and Port Wayne to Indianapolis were among the assets which brought a price $5,000 in excess of the appraised value. The Marlon to Hartford City franchise will be sold later. Before the sale is final, approval must be given by the Indiana public service commission.“
The above newspaper article raises a question since the Eastern Public Service Corporation already owned and operated this company as a subsidiary, which is noted in this April 30, 1928 Indianapolis advert: “ALL-STEEL PARLOR COACHES EQUIPPED WITH BALLOON TIRES AND AIR BRAKES $3.60 ONE WAY $6.50 ROUND TRIP TO FT. WAYNE LEAVE UNION BUS STATION 125 W. Market Riley 2235 INDIANA SAFETY COACH CORP. Subsidiary Eastern Public Service Corp.” Perhaps this ties into the reason Eastern Public Service Corp. changed its name by the end of 1931 to United Utilities, Inc.
INDIANA SCENIC BUS LINES was incorporated in 1948 and dissolved in 1970. There’s not much info out there, except this bit from the September 14, 1957, edition of the Tipton Daily Tribune from Tipton, Indiana: “The hearing date for the Indiana Scenic bus line was announced late Friday by the PSC in the wake of a complaint from scenic Brown county. It seems that the bus line, franchised to run from Indianapolis to Nashville, the Brown county seat, doesn’t quite get that far. Instead the bus runs from Morgantown to Indianapolis and back. It’s a 13-mile walk for’anyone wanting to go on from Morgantown to Nashville. Ray I. Allen, a maintenance man for the Indiana Motor Vehicle Department, owns and operates the Scenic Bus Line. He said he chopped off the Morgantown-Nashville part of the run a year or so ago because he couldn’t afford the added distance. But since Allen lives in Morgantown and works in Indianapolis, he has to make a round-trip between those two points each day, so he has continued hauling passengers on his way to and from his job. The PSC, once the matter was called to its attention, took a dim view of these economies. It commanded Allen to appear Oct. 2 and show cause why he should not be deprived of his franchise. The PSC also is checking to see if other persons than Allen have been issued certificates of convenience and necessity for running buses to Morgantown and Nashville.” The badge is a pin back.
INDIANA STAGES, INC. was an intercity bus line that operated from Terre Haute-Bloomington-Sullivan and Columbus, Indiana. One source says it was formerly the I.U. Bus Line and was sold in 1949 to Central Illinois Coach Lines. There is little info on the Net, except this excerpt from the April 28, 1949, edition of the Kokomo Tribune from Kokomo, Indiana: “The awards were presented by Arthur M. Thurston, superintendent of the Indiana state police, at a meeting of the Indiana Bus Association last night. The Evansvllle Coach Lines, the Vincennes Transit Corporation and the Danville Bus Lines were cited for safety on city routes. Intercity awards were presented to Capitol Greyhound Lines of Cincinnati, Indianapolis-Vincennes Coach Company of Vincennes, and Indiana Stages. Inc., of Bloomington.”
INDIANAPOLIS-CINCINNATI BUS COMPANY, INC. was operating as an intercity bus line between Indianapolis, Indiana, and Cincinnati, Ohio, in the mid 1920s. The founding of this company is tied to the Grandell Bus Line, although the circumstances are somewhat confusing. To begin, in October 1925 the Indianapolis-Cincinnati Bus Company sought approval to operate between the Ohio cities of Cincinnati to Milleville. In April 1926 it sought a certificate to operate between Metamora and Batesville, Indiana.
The January 23, 1926, edition of the Indianapolis Star from Indianapolis, Indiana, reported that the “Grandell bus line, holder of a certificate for a route between Indianapolis and Cincinnati, has been incorporated as the Indianapolis-Cincinnati Bus Company, and a transfer of the certificate to the new corporation was authorized.” How this transfer came about is this:
In May 1925 Grandell Bus Line, operated by partners Harold Grandell, John Shorie and C.A. Tengblad, sought a 90-certificate to operate eight buses between Indianapolis, Indiana, to Cincinnati, Ohio. The Indianapolis & Cincinnati Traction Company opposed the certificate. On July 25, 1925, the Indianapolis Star reported: “Commission Orders Grandell Company to Quit Service. Holding that busses operated by the Grandell Bus Line between Indianapolis and Cincinnati had violated the state speed law, and that the busses are not suitable for carrying passengers, the public service commission yesterday denied applications for the company for permission to operate both for certificates under the ninety-day clause and under the provision of the bus law providing for beginning operators. As a result, the company will be forced to stop operation as soon as it receives the orders issued yesterday. The applications of the company were opposed by the Indianapolis & Cincinnati Traction Company at a recent hearing before the commission.” In the September 22, 1925, edition of the Indianapolis Star this story was reported: “A permanent injunction against the public service commission was filed yesterday in Marion Circuit court, asking that the commission be restrained from enforcing its order of July 24, when a permit was denied to the Grandell Bus line. The suit was filed by John Shorie, Harold Grandell and C. A. Tengblad, partners operating under the name of the Grandell bus line. The bus line is operated at this time from Indianapolis to Cincinnati, Ohio, according to the petition. The complaint sets out that the line operated from Jan. 3 to May 22 between Indianapolis and West Harrison, and that since March 10 the service has been extended to Cincinnati. In a hearing before the commission, on a petition for a permit to operate, the permit was refused July 9 and also refused at a rehearing July 24, according to the petition. The objector to the permit was C. L,. Henry, receiver for the Indianapolis & Cincinnati Traction Company.” The next round in this drama was reported in the May 19, 1926, edition of the Cincinnati Enquirer from Cincinnati, Ohio: “Transfer of Certificate Sought on Cincinnati-Indianapolis Route. County Prosecuting Attorney Bell received a notice from State Public Utilities Commission that the application by H. J. Grandell and John Shorie. doing business as Grandell Bus Line, and of the Indianapolis-Cincinnatl Bus Company, a transfer of the certificate to the Indianapolis-Cincinnati Bus Company.”
The question here is if H.J. Grandell and partners were also owners of the Cincinnati Bus Company? The various bits and pieces seem to paint that picture.
The December 10, 1926 edition of the Journal News from Hamilton, Ohio, reported that the Indianapolis Cincinnati Bus Company and the Greyhound Lines, Inc. filed “a joint application with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio, in which the Indianapolis Cincinnati Bus Company requests authority to sell and Greyhound Lines, Inc., requests authority to buy the company.”
In June 1927 Greyhound Lines, Inc. of Indiana took over Indianapolis-Cincinnati Bus Company. The June 8, 1927, edition of the Indianapolis Star reported that the Indianapolis-Cincinnati Bus Company had filed papers for dissolution of the company.
INDIANAPOLIS-ROCKVILLE-CLINTON BUS LINE The earliest mention of this company is found in the Electric Railway Journal, Volume 69 January to June, 1927: “W. L. PLATTER, of Platter & Baldwin, Rockville, Indiana, owners of the Indianapolis- Rockville- Clinton Bus Line knows busses and the value of proper equipment. Daily observation of various types of busses entering and leaving the great Indianapolis terminal enables him to determine the relative value of motor busses.” As the company name indicates, the original route this line was Indianapolis-Rockville-Clinton, Indiana. According to one source the Indianapolis-Rockville-Clinton Bus Line operated until 1958
INDIANAPOLIS & SOUTHEASTERN BUS COMPANY / INDIANAPOLIS & SOUTHEASTERN STAGES was owned and operated by the Indianapolis & Southeastern Railroad Co. to provide service to routes not served by its rails. In 1932 the company replaced its streetcars with buses and used the name Indianapolis & Southeastern Railroad Company, Indianapolis & Southeastern Bus Company and, at a later date, Indianapolis & Southeastern Stages. In 1938 the company joined the National Trailways System and changed its name to Indianapolis & Southeastern Trailways. (See the May 26, 1935, edition of the Indianapolis Star, obituary for Charles T. Dehore, former president of the I&S RR Co.) (Note: a 1998 newspaper article mentions Indianapolis & Southeastern Stages in the history of Indianapolis & Southeastern Trailways. It is also listed in the 1956 MTD as a company name for Indianapolis & Southeastern Trailways. See Indianapolis & Southeastern Trailways for more detailed info.
INDIANAPOLIS STREET RAILWAY COMPANY bought the Citizens’ Street Railroad Company in Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1899. In 1924 the company started augmenting their service with buses. The company went into receivership in 1930, along with the Terre Haute, Indidanapolis & Eastern Traction Company, which had wholly owned the company since 1920. The company continued to operate until 1932 when the Indianapolis Railways, Inc. purchased the system. That company began using trackless trolleys and ran its last streetcars in January 1953. That same year the system was renamed Indianapolis Transit System. The badge is made of Bakelite and measures 3″ x 1⅝”.
INDIANAPOLIS TRANSIT, INC. was an intercity bus company operating in the late 1940s out of Indianapolis, Indiana. The company served Indianapolis, Weir Cook Airport and Plainfield, Indiana. It 1954 it ran 19 buses over 45.6 route miles with B.C. Hall serving as president. The company was still operational in the early 1970s.
There are two badges: the first is made of nickel-plated metal, has two threaded post and measures 2⅝” x 2½”; the second is nickel-plated metal, has one threaded post, was manufactured by Fifth Avenue Uniform Company and measures 2⅜” x 2½”.
INDIANAPOLIS TRANSIT SYSTEM / INDIANAPOLIS RAILWAYS, INC. The history of this company starts in Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1932 when the Indianapolis Railways, Inc. bought out the bankrupt Indianapolis Street Railway Company. The company was first transit company anywhere to use trackless trolleys; it ran its last streetcars in Indianapolis in January 1953. That same year the system was renamed Indianapolis Transit System. That company operated buses until 1975 when it was taken over by Indianapolis Public Transportation Corporation. There are two different colored badges, but both have two threaded posts and measures approx. 2 ½ ” x 3″; they both have hallmarks for Greenduck Co. Chicago. (NOTE: I have seen three examples of the blue colored badges all numbered “000”, which might indicate this color was never issued as a regular badge, i.e., salesman samples.)
INDUSTRIAL BUS LINES, INC., was an intercity company servicing E. St. Louis, Cahokia, Fairview, O’Fallon, Illinois and St. Louis, Missouri. It operated out of Caseyville, Illinois, in the mid-1950s and early 1960s. By the 1950s the company owned and operated Caseyville Bus Lines, Inc., which ran a city service in Caseyville and surrounding areas. In 1956 the two companies ran 11 buses over 27 route miles, with Oliver C. Anderson servicing as president. (Anderson also owned and operated the Central and Southern Trucking.) By 1960 the companies were operating 35 buses over 30 route miles.
INGALLS AUTO-BUS LINE, INC. / INGALLS BUS LINE, INC. / INGALLS MOTOR BUS LINE, INC. / GRANT INGALLS MOTOR BUS LINE, INC. This company was founded by Grant Ingalls from Cuba, New York. In most records it is referred to as “Ingalls Bus Line”. The company is first mentioned on May 13, 1914, in a local newspaper, the Times Herald, from Olean, New York. In September 1916 the company was granted a certificate to operate between Olean and Cuba, New York. The company is mentioned in a local newspaper on March 7, 1931 disputing with Allegheny Motor Coach Company over franchise rights carrying passengers between Wellsville and Olean, New York. Another newspaper account from 1936 notes the company “has ceased operations”.
INGLEWOOD CITY LINES operated city buses in Inglewood (L.A. County), California from 1942 until 1967 when it was taken over by the Southern California Rapid Transit District. The badge has two threaded posts, measures approx.: 2 ¾” x 2 ½” and was made by Greenduck Co., Chicago.
INGLEWOOD TRANSIT LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of Inglewood, California. Thomas R. Carpenter was the registered contact/agent.
INGRAM BUS LINES was owned by C. T. Ingram, F. Ingram, A. B.. Ingram, E. D. Ingram and W. S. Ingram. It was an intercity company serving Montgomery, Wetumpka, Eclecti, Tallassee, Notasulga, Auburn and Alexander City, Alabama. In 1946 the company was headquartered in Tallassee, Alabama, and ran 8 buses over 95 route miles. In February 1955 it was announced that the company had purchased the franchise of East Alabama Coach Lines. In 1988 the company recieved a 1987 Perfect Record Award from the National Safety Council. It was listed as a nationwide charter service with 585,964 miles without aan accident. In 2019 it is still listed as in business with one bus.
INLAND STAGES was operating out of Reno, Nevada’s Union Stage Depot in 1940.
INTER-CAROLINAS MOTOR BUS COMPANY, INC. was operating out of Gastonia, North Carolina, in the mid 1920s. It serviced Shelby, Morganton, Charlotte, Gastonia, Cherryville, Bessemer City, the State Line at Fort Mill, South Carolina and Spartanburg, South Carolina.
INTER-CITIES COACH LINES was operating in the 1920s out of Cincinnati, Ohio. The line ran between Hayton, Piqua, Sidney and Troy, Ohio, and the Covington Interurban Bus Terminal in Covington, Kentucky. In 1929 it was merged into the newly-formed Mason & Dixon Transit, Inc., which took over several other bus companies in southern Ohio and northern Kentucky. The company continued operating under its own name.
INTER-COUNTY MOTOR COACH, INC., which is still based in the Village of Babylon on Long Island, New York, has been operating since 1922. Affiliated companies included Babylon Transit operating from 1937 until around 1986, and Lindenhurst Bus Company, which operated from 1952 to 1986, both companies running in their final years under contract with Suffolk County Transit.
INTER TRANSIT COMPANY took over from Grand Rapids Street Railroad Company in 1920, and operated buses in Marshfield, Wisconsin, in the 1950s. The badge is a die pressed, single post example.
INTERBOROUGH RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY (IRT) the private operator of the original underground New York City Subway line that was founded on May 6, 1902, by August Belmont, Jr. and opened in 1904. The IRT was purchased by New York City in June 1940.
INTERCITY SAFETY COACH COMPANY ran in the 1920s and 1930s between Peru and Indianapolis, Indiana.
INTERMOUNTAIN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / INTER MOUNTAIN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was founded in 1917 in Anaconda, Montana, by Norwegian immigrant Emil Torgerson with a second-hand, seven-passenger touring car. Torgerson ran a route between Anaconda and Butte for a fare of 80 cents. “In 1921, Torgerson built a bus body on a lengthened out Pierce Arrow 66-inch chassis. Equipped with side door entrances, the bus carried twenty people.” Torgerson’s bus routes were later expanded to Phillipsburg, Drummond, Missoula, Polson, Kalispell, Dillon, Idaho Falls, Butte and Great Falls. By the late 1940s the company was serving Montana, Idaho and North Dakota with 52 buses over 1915 route miles. It also controlled United Transit Company, which operated buses in Missoula, Montana.
INTERMOUNTAIN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was a Montana – Rockies mountain bus line. It stated business in 2004 and is now out of business. The badge measures ¾ of an inch in width.
INTERNATIONAL BUS COMPANY / INTERNATIONAL RAILWAY COMPANY The International Railway Company (IRC) was created in 1902 to unify a number of smaller agencies into a single agency in Western New York State and a southern portion of the Province of Ontario. On August 15, 1923, the IRC formed a bus subsidiary, International Bus Company, to carry passengers in Buffalo and between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. In addition to conventional buses, the company also operated double-deck buses with open tops. The fares were 10¢. Operations of the Niagara Gray Bus Line from Niagara Falls to Lewiston, Youngtown, and Fort Niagara were acquired and merged into the IRC system on June 16, 1936. In 1939 the system operated 262 streetcars and 436 buses. In 1947 the Niagara Frontier Transit Commission was created to reorganize the IRC, and create a new agency: the Niagara Frontier Transit System. In 1949 the International Railway Company filed bankruptcy/reorganization and in 1950 the company surrendered all its assets to the Niagara Frontier Transit System. The International Bus Company badge is made of die-pressed brass, has one threaded post and one pin post. (The badge is identical to the badge of the Niagara Frontier Transit System, which was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY. )
INTERSTATE BUS COMPANY was owned by Thomas Magnuson, who ran buses between Dayton, Ohio, and Lexington, Ky., in 1927. He was involved in a federal law suit against Consolidated Coach Company Line and Red Dot Coach Line. The two Kentucky companies sought to keep him from crossing the Ohio River to conduct transportation business. (He won the case.)
INTERSTATE BUS LINE ran from Binghamton, New York, to Scranton, Pennsylvania, in the early 1920s.
INTERSTATE BUS LINES, INC. ran a bus in 1927 carrying passengers, parcels and small packages from Greeley, Colorado, north to Wyoming state line. It also operated intrastate between Nunn and Colorado-Wyoming state line.
INTERSTATE BUSSES CORPORATION “Peter Carmine Picknelly, emigrated from Italy with his family when he was just 7 years old, settling in East Orange, NJ. His love for transportation began when he became a private chauffeur in the early 1900’s. In 1920, he ventured out on his own to start his first small transit company, Orange Valley Bus Company, in East Orange, NJ. Five years later, Peter and three other jitney operators pooled their resources, relocated to New England and opened a larger transportation service in Hartford, CT, named Interstate Busses Corporation. Once this company was successfully established, Peter sold his interest in Interstate Busses to his partners in 1932, and opened his own independent bus line in Springfield, MA in the spring of 1933. He named his new company ‘Peter Pan Bus Lines’ after his children’s favorite bedtime story, ‘Peter Pan’ by Sir James M. Barrie.” (Info from Peter Pan Bus Line’s website.) This company originally ran a bus route between Providence and Hartford, but added a route from Providence to Albany via Springfield in its early years. In 1958 the company was sold to George Sage. On September 2, 1970, all the company’s intrastate service in Massachusetts was sold to The Short Line. On October 2, 1970, the name of the Short Line was changed to Bonanza Bus Lines. (There is one item of note in this company’s history, which was that its fight with Holyoke Street Railway reached the U.S. Supreme Court; the high court ruled on the case on January 3, 1927. Essentially Interstate Busses Corp. had resisted the Massachusetts law requiring certificates for intrastate operation. On having its drivers arrested at the instigation of defendant’s employees for operating intrastate without the certificate, the appellant sought from the United States District Court an injunction against the enforcement of the Massachusetts act. The injunction was denied, whereupon the bus company appealed to the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court upheld the lower court’s decision.) The badge is made of brass with enamel inlay, has two threaded posts and was made by A.A. WHITE INC. PROV R.I. It is titled for a porter, but driver badges are identical.
INTERSTATE COACH COMPANY was owned by Union Pacific Stages (itself a subsidiary of Union Pacific Railroad) and operated as an interstate bus line. The company was operated as a separate company and in 1929 served a direct Portland, Oregon, to Spokane, Washington, route. (This company should not be confused with Interstate Transit Lines, another of Union Pacific’s bus companies.)
INTERSTATE MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY was operating a 346-mile route between Portland, Oregon, and the California State Line in 1923.
INTERSTATE MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY ran in 1927 in Portsmouth, Ohio.
INTERSTATE POWER COMPANY “The company began as early as 1913 when a group of Chicago financiers began consolidating small utility companies as part of the Utilities Development Corporation. In 1924 the corporation acquired the DUBUQUE ELECTRIC COMPANY, then the sole remaining provider of electricity to Dubuque with subsidiaries supplying power to East Dubuque and Dyersville.” In 1925 the company introduced the first bus routes. In 1932 the company discontinued streetcar operations and replaced all routes with buses. “On June 26, 1973 Dubuque citizens by 92.2 percent voted ‘yes’ to the proposition that the city should acquire and operate a municipal bus transit system.” The new city-owned bus line was named KeyLine and operated until 2011 when it was reorganized and renamed The Jule. (More information can be found by clicking on this link.) The badge is nickel-plated metal with two threaded posts. The second badge is for KeyLine and is made of plastic with two pin posts.
INTERSTATE PUBLIC SERVICE COMPANY was Indiana’s largest utility and provided trolleys and train transportation in the early 1900s. It started with Samuel Insull, and associate of Thomas Edison, who was instrumental in organizing the United Gas & Electric Company of New Albany to provide light, water and power for street railways in New Albany and Jeffersonville, Indiana. The company was renamed Interstate Public Service Company in 1912. In 1919 the company bought out Louisville Traction Company. Over the coming years the company expanded until by 1923 its interurban streetcar trade peaked at 10 million passengers. As was the case with most other streetcar/railway companies of the era, Interstate Public Service Company operated a fleet of buses to service routes not accessible by rail. The company’s bus service operated under the name Interstate Public Service Company. The following history is from FundingUniverse website: “When J. N. Shannahan replaced Samuel Insull as chairman of the company in 1931, the utility changed its name to the Public Service Company of Indiana; the following year, it merged with the Indiana Electric Corporation. Despite the acquisitions and growth in revenues and electricity service, interurban rails, the service that allowed Interstate to grow in its early years, created problems for the company. With the advent of the automobile, railway travel became less appealing. Business travel and activity diminished during the Great Depression. In 1933 the number of riders dropped to three million and transportation accounted for less than 5 percent of the firm’s total revenues; with electricity accounting for more than 75 percent, Public Service petitioned the regulatory commission to abandon or curtail its interurban service. In 1934 the firm ceased reporting revenues from its railways and motor coach services, though a passenger car continued to run as late as 1941. Between 1933 and 1941 losses from interurban operations virtually eradicated the firm’s equity capital and after 1933 the firm ceased paying dividends.“
INTERSTATE STAGES, INC. was formed in 1925 and ran between Chicago, Illinois, and Detroit, Michigan, via South Bend, Indiana, and Detoit to Fort Wayne, Indiana. On October 15, 1926, Motor Transit Corporation bought a controlling interest in the company. Interstate Stages used the brand name of the Oriole Lines and had named its coaches as the Oriole Flyers. In 1929 the Safety Motor Coach Lines took over both the Interstate Stages and the Southwestern Michigan Motor Coach Company.
INTERSTATE TRANSIT LINES was formed in 1923 and ran between Omaha, Nebraska, and Nebraska City, Nebraska,—a distance of 54 miles. By 1929 the company was the largest bus operator in several states. (It traveled as far north as Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, and south to Kansas City, Missouri.) On July 1, 1929, the Chicago & North Western Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad acquired Interstate Transit Lines, the two companies operating as “a single unit in the territory of the two railroads.” (In 1927 the Union Pacific had formed Union Pacific Stages as a bus subsidiary.) Aside from Interstate Transit Lines, the UP bought out several more bus companies on July 1, 1929, as noted in the July 1929 issue of Railway Age: “The Union Pacific has purchased and began the operation on July 1 of the motor coach services of the Interstate Transit Lines, the Cornhusker Stage Lines and the Queen City Coach Lines. These three lines now operate a total of 80 motor coaches in Union Pacific territory, particularly in Nebraska. The Interstate Transit Lines have services extending from Omaha, Neb., to Sioux City, la., Lincoln, Neb., to Fremont and Wahoo, Kansas City, Mo., and Fairmont, Minn., from Lincoln to” Fremont, Grand Island and Nebraska City, and from Fremont to Norfolk, Neb., and Dodge. The Cornhusker Lines operate from Lincoln, Hastings and Fremont to Nebraska points, while the Queen City Lines operate from Beatrice, Neb., to other Nebraska points. The present organization of each of the lines will be retained and Russell J. Walsh, Oliver W. Townsend and E. J. Delchant, formerly owners respectively of the Interstate, the Cornhusker and the Queen City Lines, will each be retained as president and general manager.”
Volume 91, of the December 1931 issue of Railway Age picks up the story of Interstate Transit Lines’ growth: “In May, 1930, Interstate Transit Lines acquired the Sioux Falls Traction System bus line which had a network of routes between Sioux City, Iowa and Sioux Falls, S.D. . . . Early this year a system of local motor coach lines in the vicinity of Des Moines, Iowa, was acquired through the purchase of the Ft. Dodge, Des Moines & Southern Transportation Co. The 550 miles of lines acquired intersect the main line between Chicago and Omaha at several points, and provide feeders to the main line. Thirty-six motor coaches were involved in this purchase.” In 1943 the two bus companies, Interstate Transit Lines and Union Pacific Stages, began operating under the name Overland Greyhound Lines. On October 1, 1952, The Greyhound Corporation bought out Interstate Transit Lines and Union Pacific Stages for cash and stock. Both companies were liquidated and their assets were absorbed by Overland Greyhound Lines. (For more information, see the entry below.)
INTERSTATE TRANSIT LINES (the same company as above) ran buses in Ames, Iowa, from from Feb. 24, 1931, until 1944. It succeeded Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern Railroad Company, which had been running in Ames since 1907. The company was owned by the Chicago & North Western Railroad and the Union Pacific Railroad. On September 15, 1944, the operation in Ames was sold to Robert Walker, who changed the name of the company to Midwest Transit Lines.
INTERTOWN SUBURBAN LINES, CORPORATION On January 1, 1932, the licences of Detroit Motorbus Company was revoked to operate buses in Detroit, Michigan, which forced the company to shut down. Dearborn Coach Company took over the former company’s routes on February 18, 1932, with 52 buses. The company also operated in Lincoln Park with a subsidiary named Lincoln Park Coach Company. In 1946 new owners took over Dearborn Coach Company, operating 132 buses over 222 route miles. In October 1950 the company (and its subsidiary, Lincoln Park Coach Company) was renamed Intertown Suburban Lines, Corporation. By 1956 David Broderick was running the company with 139 buses over 1,142 route miles and serving Detroit, Allen Park, Dearborn, Ecorse, Garden City, Inkster, Lincoln Park, Melvindale, New Boston, Norwayne, Romulius, South Wayne, Taylor Township and Wayne, Michigan. “Intertown—much like its predecessor had since 1941—continued to be plagued by a number of union employee strikes. These strikes were so numerous that the City of Dearborn had threatened to launch its own city-owned bus company to replace the Intertown service.” In March 1960, Intertown Suburban was bought out and became a subsidiary of American Transit Corporation. “On August 1, 1961, drivers and maintenance workers from Local 1265 of the Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America (now, ATU) struck the company for the last time. After 64 days, and no agreement reached, the company announced that it will be ceasing operations. On December 31, 1961, Intertown Suburban Lines would officially go out of business. . . . In early 1962, Bert Jasper — former president of Intertown Suburban — managed to gather together ten investors; obtain the proper approvals; purchase back some of the buses; and formed Metropolitan Transit, Inc. . . . service would resume on February 19, 1962, with 60 buses.” Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority took over Metro Transit, Inc. on January 1, 1974. (Information from Detroit Transit History webpage.)
The badge shown below is supposedly the right badge for this company, although note that “Suburban” is not part of the company name. It is made of nickel with blue enamel inlay, has two threaded posts and measures measures 2″ x 2″.
INTERURBAN AUTOCAR COMPANY was operating a 15-mile route between Medford and Ashland, Oregon, in 1923.
INTERURBAN MOTOR COMPANY ran between the cities of Ithaca and Cortland, New York. The company was granted a certificate of operation on January 3, 1917, from the City of Ithaca, and on March 8, 1917, from the City of Cortland. The owner of the company was J. Dolph Ross and its president was Clyde Manning.
INTERURBAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / INTERURBAN TRAILWAYS During World War I, Morgan Walker, Sr. organized a taxi service with an eight-seat REO auto to transport soldiers from Camp Beauregard in Pineville, Louisiana, to nearby Alexandria. In 1920 Walker founded the Interurban Transportation Company, based in Alexandria. Eventually its route included Baton Rouge to Shreveport via Alexandria, from Baton Rouge to Beaumont, Texas, and from Little Rock, Arkansas, to Lake Charles via Alexandria. In 1942 the company bought out Butler’s Bus Line, which operated out of Alexandria, Louisiana. In 1945 the company was merged with Bordelon Lines, Inc. / Bordelon Trailways which was headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, and Tri-State Transit Company / Tri-State Trailways, based in Shreveport, Louisiana. The new firm, named Southern Bus Lines, used the brand name of Southern Trailways and was headed by Morgan W. Walker: “In 1949 the Transcontinental Bus System (using the brand name, trade name, or service name of the Continental Trailways) bought the relatively new (recently consolidated) Southern Bus Lines (the Southern Trailways) and renamed it as the Continental Southern Lines.” (See Dr. D. B. “Doc” Rushing’s Bluehounds and Redhounds the History of Greyhound and Trailways.)
INVERNESS AUTO STAGE & GARAGE COMPANY was operating out of Inverness, California, in the mid 1920s. The operators were Schreiber and J.R. Reeves.
IRON MOUNTAIN-KINGSFORD TRANSIT LINES served Iron Mountain, Michigan, in the 1940s-1950s.
ISABELLA-ONYX STAGE was operating out of Isabella, California, in the mid 1920s. Peter Larsen was the operator.
ISLAND COACH LINES was founded by Nicholas Semke as the Semke Bus Lines, Inc. Under that name it ran buses in Nassau Co., Long Island, New York, and was mentioned in 1930 in a court case. Its corporation name was Nicholas Semke, Inc., and was later renamed Island Coach Lines, Inc. It served the towns of Hempstead, Rockville Centre, Oceanside, Westbury and Baldwin. It bought out by Hempstead Bus Corp. in 1970.
ISLE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was formed in 1946 by former ex-Staten Island Coach Company employees after Staten Island Coach Company went bankrupt. The company operated buses in the borough of Richmond in New York City, New York. Isle Transportation Company went bankrupt in 1947, and New York City took over the buses on Feb. 23 of that year.
Copyright © 2019 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.