BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “L”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
LA CROSSE TRANSIT COMPANY was private company serving the city of La Crosse, Wisconsin. The La Crosse Public Library gives this history: “La Crosse’s first street car company was the La Crosse Street Railway Company, which began service on July 4, 1879. In June 1881, the City Street Railway Company was organized. The two companies merged in 1885 and were then known as the La Crosse City Railway Company. Horse drawn cars were replaced with electric trolley cars in 1890. On February 10, 1913, the Wisconsin Light and Power Company, under the direction of its president, Clement C. Smith, purchased the streetcar lines in La Crosse. The company continued operation of the streetcar lines and changed its name to the Mississippi Valley Public Service Company in 1926. Between the years 1929 and 1945, the Mississippi Valley Public Service Company gradually replaced the streetcars with motorized passenger buses. The company removed old tracks and ties on many streets as buses came into use. Old car barns at 601 N. 3rd Street were remodeled to accommodate the new buses. Ray M. Fey, his sons and Andrew G. Anderson purchased the Mississippi Valley Public Service Company on Jan. 1, 1949, and changed its name to the La Crosse Transportation Company. Privately owned bus companies such as the Mississippi Valley Public Service Company provided bus transportation in the city until 1975. In 1974, the city of La Crosse received a grant to purchase the bus transit system. As of Jan. 2, 1975, the La Crosse Transit Company became a public utility owned by the city of La Crosse.” The badge measures 2″ x 2½” and was made by Fifth Avenue Uniform Co. 19 So. Wells Chicago.
La MESA HEIGHTS STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of San Diego, California. C.T. Lang was the registered contact.
L.B.K. LINES, INC. This company was advertising in January 12, 1933 as being formerly the Brownell Brothers, Incorporated. A 1953 newspaper article indicates that the Brownell brothers still controlled the L.B.K. Lines. The line ran between Troy, Waterford, Mechanicville, Stillwater, Schuylerville, Bound Lake, Ballston and Albany, New York. The company was running in the 1950s. (Tuesday July 3, 1928: The Saratoga City Council granted to Clayton and Frank Brownell, operating as the Brownell Brothers, a franchise to operate a bus line from Mechanicville to Saratoga Springs, by way of Ballston Spa.)
LAFFERTY STAGE LINES / JOHN J. LAFFERTY STAGE LINES / J. J. LAFFERTY STAGE LINES In the decade of the 1890s and well into the 20th century, public transit in Port Townsend meant one of City Transfer’s horse-drawn taxi cabs. Owner Sam McGee would later modernize his fleet of cabs when he purchased a 1910 Chalmers-Detroit and a 1912 REO touring car. Profits from his modernized taxi service convinced McGee to expand, which he did in late 1914 by buying a bus. His idea was to run it to and from Fort Worden on a regular schedule.
In the Sunday, Jan. 17, 1915, edition of the Port Townsend Daily Leader, a front-page story announced “Jitney Service Tomorrow; Manager McGee Has Perfected the Necessary Arrangements.” The following morning, Sam McGee left downtown Port Townsend on his first run out to Fort Worden.
Four years later, the Jan. 4, 1919 edition of the Port Townsend Leader reported that McGee had sold his passenger bus business to his associate and bus driver, John J. Lafferty. Although Lafferty changed the name of the bus business to John J. Lafferty Stage Lines (later J. J. Lafferty Stage Lines and then finally to Lafferty Stage Lines) he continued working from McGee’s office in downtown Port Townsend. Over the coming years Lafferty added a 17-mile school route, several runs to and from the paper mill, and a run to Quilcene. In January 1969, after John Lafferty’s death, his son-in-law sold the business to Frank and Maxine McDowell, who changed the name to McDOWELL-LAFFERTY LINES. (Click here to read more.)
LAKE NORCONIAN STAGE LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of Norco, California. Rex B. Clark was the owner.
LAKE COUNTY AUTOMOBILE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was operating out of Lakeport, California, in the mid 1920s. George S. Held was the manager.
LAKE INDEPENDENCE STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s from Lake Independence via Hobart Mills near the California-Nevada state line. Mrs. G.W. Kenney was the owner/operator.
LAKE SHORE BUS COMPANY There is little to go on here. I found a record from the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin dated Sept. 23, 1937, for Gust H. Dean who was doing business as Lake Shore Bus Company. He was applying to abandon operation as a common motor carrier of passengers between Ashland and Hayward, Wisconsin. There does seem to be a school bus carrier with this name in the 1970s and 1980s. The badge was made by Hookfast, and has two threaded posts and measures 2⅛” x 2 ⅝”.
LAKE SHORE BUS LINE In 1939 John Kanthak, Jr. was the owner and was operating out of Harbor Beach, Michigan. The company ran a route from Harbor Beach to Austin to Bad Axe and Port Huron, Michigan. The company is not listed in the 1946 MTD.
LAKE SHORE BUS LINE City of Buffalo April 13, 1921: “We, the undersigned, who intend to do business under the name of Lake Shore Bus Line, hereby petition Your Honorable Body for a license permitting us to operate a bus line on the route hereinafter described within the limits of the City of Buffalo, New York, to wit: George Oaks, T.J. Lombardo, Joseph Pallatto, Salvatore D’Aurio and Philip Hamm doing business as Lake Shore Bus Line, shall not charge more than 7 cents for one way passage; shall operate at least 4 enclosed motor buses, each motor bus having a seating capacity of not less than twenty (20) passengers, not including the driver . . . to be operated along said route from 5 a.m. to 12 p.m. . . .“
LAKE SHORE BUS LINE of Toronto, Canada was running in 1922 and operating Pierce-Arrow Busses. It is mentioned in the 1927 Toronto city directory.
LAKE SHORE COACH COMPANY, INC. On April 19, 1923, Ohio’s Lake Shore Electric Railway incorporated a subsidiary known as the Lake Shore Coach Company. In his history of the Lake Shore Coach Co., Robert S. Korach writes: “For two years the charter gathered dust in some LSE filing cabinet, but in the summer of 1925 LSE actually got into the bus business. On September 6 of that year it replaced the one-car East Erie line in Lorain with two new White model 50-A buses with Kuhlman bodies. A second-hand 1922 White model 50 Kuhlman body bus was soon purchased as a backup. The buses were driven by motormen and conductors assigned to the South Lorain carbarn. . . . Lake Shore Coach Co. finally stepped out of the filing cabinet and into the spotlight on June 3, 1927 when LSC bought the Cleveland- Lorain-Sandusky Bus Co. and 13 vehicles — some of which were touring cars. Included with the larger vehicles was what could well have been the one-off bus product of the Clydesdale Motor Truck Co. of the hamlet of Clyde, located on the LSE south of Sandusky. . . . The Ohio PUC authorized the acquisition on July 11, 1927 and LSC began service between Cleveland and Sandusky on July 19.“
In August 1937 Lake Shore Coach Company created two new subsidiaries, Lorain Transit Company and Lake Shore Coach Lines, Inc. On May 31, 1939, Lorain Transit and Lake Shore Coach Lines were merged into Lake Shore Coach Company. On September 9, 1943 the company was acquired by Harry W. Arnold, who owned Ohio Rapid Transit, Inc., which was a holding company managing Arnold’s numerous bus companies. After his acquisition, Arnold formed another holding company named Lake Shore System, although Lake Shore Coach Company and the other Arnold companies retained their legal names and properties.
In May 1974 a strike by the company’s 50 drivers and mechanics put the company out of business. Its intercity operations from Columbus to Parkersburg, Wheeling and Chillicothe were taken over by existing Greyhound routes.
LAKE SHORE COACH LINES The history of this company starts on January 1, 1932, when the Detroit Common Council revoked the licence of Detroit Motorbus Company to operate buses in Detroit, Michigan. With their company forced out of business, a group of former Detroit Motorbus Company’s managers formed Lake Shore Coach Lines and acquired their former company’s eastern suburban bus routes along with 20 of its buses. (Starting with 52 buses, another group of former employees formed Dearborn Coach Company on February 18, 1932 to take over their former company’s western suburban routes.) Lake Shore Coach Lines served Harper Woods, St. Clair Shores, and the five Grosse Pointe communities with routes into downtown Detroit. The Michigan Public Utilities Commission approval of the new company became effective on March 24, 1932. (Interestingly, Detroit Transit History.info reports that “. . . by 1934 the company’s original management had been forced out and by 1939 the company was reported to be under the ownership of reputed Mafia Dons [i.e.], a mob boss or crime lord in charge of an organized crime enterprise.” The website goes on to note that “During Lake Shore Coach Lines’ nearly 40 years of operation, the company operated out of the former [Detroit Motorbus Company] Terminal Garage located at 11840 Edlie Street at Terminal (south of E. Jefferson) on Detroit’s east side.” Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority acquired Lake Shore Coach Lines in 1971.
LAKE SHORE MOTOR COACH LINES was formerly Bamberger Transportation Company. Dale Barrett, who was the general manager of Salt Lake City Lines, bought the company on July 3, 1953, and changed the name to Lake Shore Motor Coach Lines, Inc. In 1954 it was running 15 buses over 76 route miles from Salt Lake City to Ogden, Utah. Currently the company runs charters out of Provo, Utah. The badge is a single post example made of nickel.
LAKE SHORE COACH LINES, INC. See LAKE SHORE COACH COMPANY, INC.
LAKE SHORE SYSTEM This company’s history starts in Ohio with a man named Harry W. Arnold, who started buying local city and intercity bus companies beginning in the 1930s. Among his acquisitions was Fairlick Stages in 1936, Lake Shore Coach Co. in 1943, Arcodel System in 1948 and Red Star Way in 1949. By the 1940s Arnold already owned Ohio Rapid Transit Company, Inc., which was a holding company operating out of Newark, Ohio to manage Arnold’s numerous bus companies.
According to info on chicagorailfan.com “Lake Shore Coach Co. operated in area between Cleveland and Toledo and had replaced Lake Shore Electric Railway. Arcodel System had been formed in October 1933, and Red Star Way had been incorporated in 1922. In 1949, Lake Shore Coach Co. routes swapped to Greyhound in exchange for Valley Greyhound Lines routes from Columbus to Chillicothe and Lancaster. In 1958, Lake Shore System name applied to all intercity bus companies. It ceased operations in 1974, with some remaining services integrated into existing Greyhound network.”
Regarding the Greyhound swap, further information is found on page 1 of the Friday, December 23, 1949, edition of The Logan Daily News, from Logan, Ohio:
“Valley Greyhound Swap Due Jan. I CLEVELAND, Dec. 23—(AP)— Greyhound Corp. reported today that its announced plan for taking over the Lake Shore Coach Co. is expected to be consummated on January 1. In exchange, the corporation will hand over one of its subsidiaries, Valley Greyhound Lines, Inc., to the Lake Shore Coach System. Lake Shore Coach Co. is owned by Lake Shore System. A spokesman for Greyhound Corp. said the swap was an even one with about 42 buses being involved on each side. The Valley Greyhound Lines operate south and east of Columbus to Chillicothe, Lancaster, Logan, Nelsonville, Athens and Pomeroy with other lines from Athens to Marietta, Lancaster to Circleville and from Logan to Wellston, Jackson and Portsmouth.”
After the above agreement the Valley Greyhound Lines, Inc. was thereafter known as the Lake Shore System. The badge is a single threaded post example made by Fifth Avenue Uniform Co. 19 So. Wells Chicago.
LAKEPORT-UKIAH MOTOR LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Lakeport, California. J.R. Martin was the registered contact.
LAKESHORE TRANSIT RACINE, INC. In 1962 this company succeeded Racine Motor Coach Lines, Inc. operating buses in Racine, Wisconsin. (In 1939 the Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transport Company sold its Racine, Wisconsin, routes to Racine Motor Coach Lines, Inc., which had been recently formed. The company was sold in 1947 to Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad, which continued operating under the Racine Motor Coach Lines name.) In 1962 Racine Motor Coach Lines was sold to Lakeshore Transit Racine, Inc., which operated service under that name. That company discontinued operations in 1968 and Flash City Transit took over bus operations in Racine. In 1975 Flash City Transit was acquired by Belle Urban System —or B.U.S. — and operated under contract by Taylor Enterprises, Inc., which was formed by the owner of Flash City Transit.
LAKEWOOD RAPID TRANSIT began operations in 1937 with service between Lakewood and downtown Cleveland, Ohio. In 1954, the Cleveland Transit System acquired the Lakewood Rapid Transit Company. There are three different styles of badges. The first badge, at top, was obviously the first issued; it has two threaded posts and an example sold for $50 in 2007. The second badge, below left, was made by the The Excelsior Stamp Works Cleveland. The third style was also made by Excelsior.
LAMPSON STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s in Geyserville, California. Everette Lampson was the owner/operator.
LANG TRANSPORTATION COMPANY/ LANG MOTOR BUS CORPORATION See Long Beach Transportation Company and B.&H. Transportation Company for the history of this company.
LANKERSHIM BOULEVARD-BURBANK MOTOR COACH LINE was operating out Burbank / Los Angeles, California, in the late 1920s. The agents were the Auld brothers.
Lansing Suburban Lines (MI) 1959
LARD BROTHERS BUS LINE In November 1942 the Alabama State Public Service Commission granted a permit to operate as a common carrier to Earl Lard, doing business as Lard Brothers Bus Line. The second brother was Clarence Edward Lard (1910-1972). The company served Waterloo, Alabama, and also ran between Florence and the plant of Reynolds Metals Company at Listerhill, Alabama.
LAS FLORES-TOPANGA CANYON STAGE LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of Santa Monica, California. Francis Brunner was the agent.
LAS VEGAS-TONOPAH & RENO STAGE LINES was operating out of Reno, Nevada’s, Union Stage Depot in 1940.
LAUREL CANYON STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Los Angeles, California. L.J. Sommer was the registered contact.
LAUREL VALLEY LINES was a bus company in Connellsville, PA. They were advertising in the Daily Courier newspaper in Nov. 1970. The badge has two threaded posts.
LAWNDALE BUS COMPANY / HUNT BUS LINE In the North Carolina Utilities Commission report for 1945-46, the Lawndale Bus Company held Certificate No. 549 and was owned by O. S. Hunt (Orphas Sherill Hunt, 1905-1996). Passenger routes were as follows: “Beginning at Lawndale; thence over an unnumbered highway to Caesar; thence over Highway No. 10 to Polkville; from Polkville over Highway No. 26 to Owen’s Service Station; thence over an unnumbered Highway to Double Shoals; thence back to Owen’s Service Station; thence down Highway No. 26 to Shelby from Shelby over Highway No. 18 to Fallston; from Fallston over Highway No. 180 to Lawndale.” In the 1952 MTD the company had been renamed by O. S. Hunt as Hunt Bus Line. In 1954 the company was running 6 buses over 60 route miles. Two years later, it was running 5 buses over 50 route miles. In 1964 the company was still in business. See entry for Hunt Bus Line for a badge photo issued by Hunt Bus Line.
LAWTON–FT. SILL BUS CO. This was a private company that began service in Lawton, Oklahoma, in 1952 after the Lawton Railway & Lighting Co. discontinued streetcar service. The badge has two threaded posts.
LAYTONVILLE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s from Laytonville, California. Samuel Pinches was the owner and A. Harwood was the manager. (Harwood ran his own stage line— A. Harwood Stage Line—in conjunction with Laytonville Stages.)
LE BLANC & TAYLOR BUS LINE / ROBERT LE BLANC BUS LINE This company was founded by Robert Le Blanc and a partner named Taylor. It was operating in the late 1920s from Kalispell, Montana, to Whitefish, Montana. By the mid 1930s the company was called Robert Le Blanc Whitefish-Kalispell Bus Line. The company was still in business in 1945, but seems to have disappeared after that date.
LEA BUS LINES was operating in the early 1940s out of Springfield, Missouri.
LEAKSVILLE-DANVILLE BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s from Leaksville, North Carolina, to State Line on route to Danville, Virginia.
LEAKSVILLE-REIDSVILLE BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s from Spray, North Carolina.
LEAVENWORTH TRANSIT, INC. I could find nothing much on this company, other than it being mentioned in The Leavenworth Times, which was the daily newspaper published in Leavenworth, Kansas. The badge measures 2 ½” x 2 ¼”and has two threaded posts.
LEAVENWORTH TRANSPORTATION COMPANY I believe this was the Kansas City & Leavenworth Transportation Company, which issued tokens under the name “Leavenworth Transportation Co”. The company was formed in April 1938 and took over from the Kansas City, Leavenworth& Western Transportation Co., which ran streetcars. It is mentioned as one of the bus companies that used the Union Bus Terminal, 917 McGee St. in Kansas City in the 1940s. The badge measures 2½” x 2½” was made by “FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO WELLS CHICAGO” and has one threaded post.
LEBANON-LANCASTER MOTOR COACH CO. This company was in business in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, during the 1930s. The badge has a single threaded post.
LEE COACH LINE / LEE’S COACH LINE This company was operating in the 1930s in Florida and was founded, owned and operated by A. W. Lee. In July 1935 R. S. Coleman, who owned Coleman Motor Lines, appeared before the Florida Railroad Commission requesting that his certificate operation (operating between Tallahassee, East Point and Apalachicola over Road No. 10) be transferred to Lee Coach Lines. The request was approved. The 1936 Russell’s Sectional Bus Guide for Georgia-Florida shows Lee Coach Lines operated out of Marianna, Florida and served Marianna, Altha, Blountstown, Wewahitchka, Port St. Joe, Panama City and Apalachicola, Florida. In 1946 the company was operating 25 buses. Jon Hobijn, in his Trailways history, writes that Georgia Stages, Inc. purchased St. Andrews Bay Transportation Company in 1944, and that company had “acquired Lee’s Coach Line who ran from Tallahassee to Panama City via Blountstown and also by Apalachicola.” However, the 1946-47 MTD shows that the company was still owned and operated by A. W. Lee. I will leave it to the reader to make his/her own conclusion.
LEE’S AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of San Bernardino, California. W.D. Lee was the owner.
LEGGETT BROTHERS STAGE COMPANY was operating a 20-mile route between Powers and Myrtle Point, Oregon in 1923.
LEHIGH VALLEY TRANSIT COMPANY This company’s origins begin in 1893 in Allentown, Pennsylvania, when investor Albert Johnson combined a group of local streetcar lines into one company named the Allentown and Lehigh Valley Traction Company. Over the next several years Johnson continued to acquire local streetcar companies and, by 1901, placed them all under his newly-formed Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley Traction Company. By 1903 Johnson was dead and his company was in receivership. (Receivership: a court ordered plan wherein interest payments on bonds are suspended to allow a company to have the cash to continue to operate so eventually it will have enough income to resume payments on bonds.) In 1905, the assets of the Philadelphia and Lehigh Valley Traction Company were acquired by a new corporate entity: the Lehigh Valley Transit Company. In 1951 the company ended its 36-mile interurban rail service from Allentown to Philadelphia. In 1952 it ended its trolley service in Allentown. The company’s bus service continued in Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton, Pennsylvania until ceasing operations in 1972. At some point before the company’s demise, North Penn Bus Line took over some of the former Lehigh Valley Transit bus routes. The oval shaped badge is made of nickel-plated brass, is a pin back, measures 1⅞” x 1¼” and is marked GRAMMES ALLENTOWN PA. (See ALLENTOWN & LEHIGH VALLEY TRACTION COMPANY for more information.)
LEICESTER BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1940s by Glenn Ray who purchased the operating rights from C. D. Noblett. (This may have been the same line as the Ashville-Leicester Bus Line which was operating out of Ashville, North Carolina, in 1939.) The line ran out of Asheville, North Carolina. Routes: Between Leicester over County Home Road, Emma Road to Asheville city limits; thence with West Haywood to destination on Patton Avenue, Highway No. 63. Amended in 1946 to indued between Asheville, N. C. and the foot of Pisgah Mountain over Sand Hill and Pisgah Roads via Enka.
LEISTER BUS SERVICE seems to have been a one-man operation founded by Harvey D. Leister in Pleasant Valley, Maryland, in the early 1930s. The service was strictly a charter service, which is notable in the few surviving newspaper ads, such as this one from June 22, 1949, in The Evening Sun from Hanover, Pennsylvania, advertising “Teen Age Dances” in Westminster, Maryland: “At 7:30 P.M., Leister’s Bus will leave Union Street at Pennsylvania Avenue, to the Forks and continue out Main street to the Post Home.—FARES, 10¢” (Hanover was about 25 miles away from Pleasant Valley, and was apparently the area’s main news source.) Harvey D. Leister’s newspaper ad appeard in July 1950; he died June 12, 1951 in a Baltimore hospital at the age of 51: “He was a long-time operator of a chartered bus line service out of Pleasant Valley . . . ” The badge pictured here is likely unique.
LEMOORE MURRAY AUTO STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Lemoore, California. John H. Heriford was the registered contact.
LEPPERT BUS LINES was founded by James W. Leppert (1904-1957) in Seymour, Indiana, in 1927. He ran a route between Seymour and Salem until 1937. In 1932 he bought the city bus lines from the Public Service Company in Columbus, Indiana, and established the Leppert Bus Lines of Columbus. Leppert Lines also operated in Peru, Wabash and Jeffersonville. In 1957 the company was operating in Columbus and Bloomington. (Leppert also ran the Columbus-Bloomberg Bus Lines from 1920 until 1932.) The badge is made of nickel-plated metal with one threaded post and measures 2⅝”.
LEVITTOWN BUS CORPORATION was a company that served Hempstead, Farmingdale, Hicksville, and Levittown in Nassau Co., New York. It was not listed in the 1954 MTD.
C.W. LEWIS AUTO TRUCK & STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Etna Mills, California. It was owned and operated by C. W. Lewis.
LEWIS HICKMAN, JR. BUS COMPANY By 1913 Lewis M. Hickman (1873 – 1944), the father of Lewis Hickman, Jr., was operating an auto-bus line from West Chester, Pennsylvania. This information was gleaned from the October 25, 1913, edition of The News Journal from Wilmington, Delaware (some 17 miles from West Chester): “Thrown From Car on the Concord Pike. Turning turtle, on the Concord turnpike near the Dutton farm, an automobile owned by Lewis M. Hickman of West Chester, Pa., was completely demolished. The chauffeur, Wesley Winans, who was driving, was thrown clear of the machine and escaped injury. He had taken a passenger to The Orchards. On the return trip he started at a rapid rate and on reaching the Dutton farm he turned the machine rapidly to let a team pass.” As to Lewis Hickman, Jr. (1904-1988), according to the October 27, 1945 edition of the Daily Local News, from West Chester, “Lewis Hickman, Jr. began transporting school children in 1920 near West Chester, Pennsylvania. He went on to build this into a charter bus company that operated until after World War II.” There is a problem with this reporting: Lewis Hickman, Jr. was born in September 1904, meaning he would have been around 15-16 years old in 1920. Since Pennsylvania had required all drivers have a valid drivers license beginning in 1909, and the absolute minimum age for obtaining a license was 18 years of age—with no exceptions—then Lewis, Jr. could not have been driving a school bus in 1920. It would seem that the Lewis Hickman who began transporting school children back in 1920 was Lewis, Sr. (who was already operating an autobus), and the Lewis Hickman who developed the company into a charter business was his son. In a separate article, the same local paper cited above offered more details: “Lewis Hickman Jr. operated a charter bus company from a garage located at Franklin and Washington Streets in 1945. He had been in the business of hauling school children since 1920. In 1945, he employed 18 drivers, both men and women.” The part about his employing 18 drivers is interesting in light of the March 11, 1943 edition of The Morning News from Wilmington, Delaware, in which Lewis Hickman ran this ad: “Notices 2 BUSES FOR HIRE LEWIS HICKMAN, JR. BUS COMPANY”. In 1945 Mr. Hickman was advertising he operated from Wilmington, Delaware to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In December 1945 Mr. Hickman was advertising: “BUSES TO HIRE By Day, Week or Mile LEWIS HICKMAN, JR. BUS CO. West Chester, Phone 1-4110.” As noted in the above article, sometime after World War II the Lewis Hickman, Jr. Bus Company ceased operations. It is not mentioned in any edition of the MTD. The badge is die-pressed, a pin & swivel clasp type that measures 2″ x 1¼” and is made of sterling silver.
LEWISTON-MINERSVILLE STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Lewiston, California. Henrietta P. Conner was the owner.
LEWISTOWN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / LEWISTOWN & REEDSVILLE ELECTRIC RAILWAY COMPANY The history of this company begins in 1923, when (according to the September 28, 1923, edition of the Harrisburg Telegraph, from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania) the Pennsylvania Public Service Commission heard a petition by the “Lewistown and Reedsville Traction Company has asked the commission to grant a similar certificate to the Lewistown Transportation Company [Lewistown ad Reedsville Electric Railway Co.] which will be a subsidiary of the former concern. The request is made for the purpose of operating buses on streets in Reedsville and adjacent towns where the construction of new tracks is unwarranted.” The petition was granted and the Lewistown Transportation Company was born. In 1945 the company was operating 34 buses over 53 route miles in local and suburban Lewistown, Pennsylvania. It served Lewistown, Burnham, Yeagertown, Reedsville, Juniata Terrace, Granville, McVeytown, Mt. Rock, Maitland, Lake Park and Strodes (“Successors to Lewistown ad Reedsville Electric Railway Co.”) The badge shown below is rather small in comparison to other badges of the day. It is made of nickel-plated brass, has a pin clasp and measures approx. 1⅞” x 1¼”.
LEWISVILLE BUS LINE ran in the late 1920s from Knoxville to Newport, Tennessee.
LEYDEN MOTOR COACH COMPANY was originally named River Forest-North West Motor Coach Company, which started business in 1926 in Franklin Park, a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. By 1930 the company was named Leyden Motor Coach Company. In 1931 it took over local street routes from Wilcox Transportation Company, which had gone out of business. The company was operating in 1954 with 34 buses. In 1963, West Towns Bus Co. acquired Leyden Motor Coach Co. The badge is a single threaded post and was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO.
LIBERTY BUS LINE The Railroad Commission of California granted Sunset Surety Company a certificate to operate a passenger bus service between San Diego, California, and Camp Kearny on November 24, 1917. The buses were ten six-cylinder fifty-horsepower Studebaker auto buses, having a seating capacity of sixteen passengers and were operated under the name of Liberty Bus Line. In 1927 the company was operated by R.W. Brannon.
LIBERTY BUS TRANSPORTATION CORPORATION, INC. ran 12 BUSES in the borough of Queens in New York City. It started in 1933 and operated on Woodhaven Blvd-Howard Beach before it was taken over by Green Bus Lines.
LIBERTY LINES TRANSIT, INC. operates the Bee-Line Bus System of Westchester County, New York. The company’s headquarters are located in Yonkers, New York. Liberty Lines began in 1953 with four vehicles. Through mergers, acquisitions and expansion, it has grown into into one of the largest privately-owned transportation companies in New York State. The company currently operates 330 vehicles, though many of these are owned by Westchester County. Liberty Lines carries 30 million passengers annually over 10 million miles. The company has about 690 employees. The badge is a pin back.
LIBERTY TRANSIT COMPANY was operating a city bus line in Anderson, Indiana, in the early 1920s. In May 1925 it petitioned to expand its routes in the city. It was last mentioned in June 1938 when it took delivery of a new bus.
LICENSED COACH OPERATOR This is a generic badge—the type often used by small one-man operations. This die-pressed badge came from California, and measures 2¾” x 2½”. It is marked on the back “Crown Body Los Angeles”.
LIEDERBACH BUS COMPANY, INC. was incorporated in Minnesota in 1933 as an intercity operation. Liederbach also owned the Sioux Limited Lines, which was an interstate operation. Both companies were headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In the 1930s Liederbach Bus Company transported passengers from the Minnesota State Line at Hudson to the Illinois State Line; Minnesota from Illinois State Line via Marshfield, Oshkosh and Fond du Lac. In 1946 the company was operating 12 buses over 1166 route miles. In 1952 the Zephyr Lines acquired the Liederbach Bus Company.
LINCOLN CITY LINES, INC. In 1942 National City Lines took over transit operations in Lincoln, Nebraska, after buying out Lincoln Traction Company, which was a subsidiary of United Light & Power Company. The new company was named Lincoln City Lines. In 1945 the company discontinued streetcars. In 1946 the company operated 66 buses over 66.3 route miles. In 1954 the company operated 56 buses over 146 route miles. In 1971 Lincoln City Lines was replaced by Lincoln Transportation System, which operated until 1989. The badge is the typical National City Lines design, made of nickel-plated brass by Greenduck Co., Chicago, with two threaded posts.
LINCOLN PARK COACH COMPANY / LINCOLN PARK COACH LINE / LINCOLN PARK BUS COMPANY Lincoln Park, Michigan, borders the cities of Detroit, Allen Park, Melvindale, Ecorse, Wyandotte, and Southgate. In 1925 Lincoln Park Coach Line began the town’s first bus service. (This company had its origins as a jitney operation dating to 1921.) Lincoln Park Coach Line went out of business in 1927 and was replaced two years later by a new company named Lincoln Park Bus Company. In 1933, this company was acquired by Dearborn Coach Company, which operated it as a subsidiary renamed Lincoln Park Coach Company. The background on this takeover starts on January 1, 1932 when the Detroit Common Council revoked the licence of Detroit Motorbus Company to operate buses in Detroit, Michigan. With their company forced out of business, a group of former Detroit Motorbus Company’s managers formed Lake Shore Coach Lines and acquired their former company’s eastern suburban bus routes. Starting with 52 buses, another group of former employees formed Dearborn Coach Company on February 18, 1932 to take over their former company’s western suburban routes. In 1933 Dearborn Coach Company took over Lincoln Park Bus Company, which it renamed Lincoln Park Coach Company. In 1946 new owners took over Dearborn Coach Company, and operated 132 buses over 222 route miles. In October 1950 the company, and its subsidiary, Lincoln Park Coach Company, were renamed Intertown Suburban Lines Corporation. (See Intertown Suburban Lines, Corporation for more information.)
LINCOLN TRAILS SYSTEM / LINCOLN TRAILWAYS Lincoln Trails System was an interstate company operating in Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, D.C., New York and Massachusetts. The company joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1937 running 510 route miles. The 1939 Russell’s Guide shows Lincoln Trailways located at 441 East Ohio Street, Chicago, Illinois, with J. B. Wallace the general manager. At that time it served Chicago, Valpraiso and Fort Wayne, Indiana; Lima, Marion, Columbus, Zanesville, Cambridge and Wheeling, Ohio; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Baltimore, Maryland, Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, New York and Boston, Massachusetts. One source says the company operated until the 1940s. It is not listed in the 1940, 1941, 1946 or 1947 MTD.
LINCOLN TRANSIT COMPANY was in business by 1934 when it had an office located at 203 West 41st St. New York, New York. The company operated a commuter bus service from Atlantic City, New Jersey into New York City. In 1954 the company was operating 23 buses. It was still in business in February 1975 when a driver’s strike affected 4,000 daily commuters. There are two known badges: the oldest has single threaded post, is made of nickel and measures 2″; the second badge has two threaded posts, measures 2⅜” x 2 ⅝” and dates from the late 1960s-early 1970s.
LINCOLNTON BUS COMPANY was operated by J.R. Lewis out of Asheville, North Carolina, in the 1940s. It ran between Gastonia and Lincolnton.
LINDEN COACH CORPORATION ran in 1933 in Queens, New York City on Linden Ave.
LINDENHURST BUS COMPANY was an affiliated company of Inter-County Motor Coach, Inc. on Long Island, N.Y. It operated from 1952 to 1986, and was running under contract with Suffolk County Transit.
LINNTON TRANSIT COMPANY Sherman Lovell and W. E. Young recieved a franchise in 1922 to operate buses between Linnton and Portland, Oregon. In 1924 they formed the Astoria Transit Company and secured a bid to run the city bus service. The company started with six 25-passenger Mack buses in June 1924. Two days later the streetcars stopped running in Astoria.
LIPTON’S BEE LINE was based in Kingston, New York. It was charter bus company doing business in the early 1950s. It is mentioned in August 1960 as having bid on a school contract to transport children in Rhinebeck, New York. In February 1970 the company was sold to the Eagle Bus Line, Inc. of Ellenville, New York.
LISHMAN COACH LINES, LTD. This company had its beginnings in 1916 when Arthur Lishman started a small service between Hamilton and Cayuga, Ontario, Canada, where the family lived for a time: “That early service developed after folks in Cayuga asked Arthur if he could give them a lift to Hamilton in the vehicle he used to deliver small parcels and freight. This set Arthur to thinking of new ways to make money, starting by bolting a couple of benches to the open back of his Model T delivery vehicle. Nice in summer, a bit frosty in winter so Arthur hooked up the exhaust fan from the engine to keep his passengers from turning into popsicles and with this, he had inadvertently launched what would become Lishman Coach lines. . . . Arthur sold that first business to Canada Coach Lines, moved the family to Elmira in 1928 and started a new bus service between Elmira and Kitchener.” (Arthur’s son Nelles, who would one day take over the business, recalled that his father built their own buses back then—with Nelles sewing the seat cushions.) The business moved to Kitchener in the late 1930s. Nelles Lishman and brother Ross Lishman took over the company in 1949. (Arthur Lishman died in 1949.) In 1974 Lishman Coach Lines merged with two other bus companies to become United Trails, Inc. At the time Lishman Coach Lines, Ltd. was serving the Waterloo Region, and Brantford, Guelph, Elora, Fergus, Acton and Milton.(In 1979 the Lishman brothers retired from the transportation industry. Nelles Lishman died in 2013 at age 96 years. Ross Lishman died in 1978 at age 62.) United Trails Incorporated ran from 1975 until 1997. The badge is made of solid brass, has two threaded posts and measures approx. 2½” x 2½”; the red enamel is not part of the original badge and was added at a later time.
LITCHFIELD-STANDISH STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Standish, California. Charles Bouchard was the registered contact.
LIVERMORE & ARROYO SANITARIUM STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Oakland, California.
LIVERMORE VALLEY STAGES was operating in the late 1920s out of Livermore, California. A. W. Schmitt was the agent.
LLOYD’S EL CAJON STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of El Cajon, California, and ran between El Canjon to San Diego.
LLOYD’S TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was operating in the last 1910s and mid 1920s out of Santa Barbara, California. It was owned by A.A. Lloyd, who leased a four story building in Santa Barbara to use as a stage depot. It was managed by A. Spreitz.
LOCKPORT BUS LINES was founded in the city of Lockport, New York on December 20, 1936, by Ralph Weeks. It succeeded the International Bus Corporation of Buffalo. In addition to city service, it began an interurban route in 1940 by operating a route between Lockport and North Tonawanda and Lockport and Buffalo. Ralph Weeks sold the company to his son, Roger Weeks, in 1960. By 1962 the company was running 13 round trips daily between Lockport and Buffalo. The company lasted until March 15, 1975 when it was absorbed into the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority, after being purchased for the amount of $103,000. The badge is die-pressed nickel plated brass with a singled threaded post and measures 2⅝” x 1¾”.
LOGAN AUTO TOURS operated a passenger motor bus line from Denver to various scenic points in Colorado in 1927.
LONE EAGLE COACH CO PARIS TO MT PLEASANT These two towns are in Tennessee and apparently this coach line ran between the two, which is a distance of 110 miles. That is all the information I could locate. I would guess that the company was around a long time ago, based on the badge style. The badge is a pin back and measures approx. 2″.
LONE PINE & KEELER AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Lone Pine, California. G.F. Marsh was the registered contact.
LONE STAR BUS LINE was incorporated in 1927 (the line ran in Texas) along with Old Spanish Trail Bus Line (operating in New Mexico) as the Bowen Motor Coach Company. (See that entry for more information.)
LONE STAR COACH LINE ran in the late 1920s serving LaFayette, Hartsville, Gallatin to Nashville, Tennessee.
LONE TRAIL BUS LINE, INC. was operating out of Walnut, North Carolina, in the mid 1920s. It ran from Asheville, N. C, to Tenn.-N. C. State Line on route to Johnson City, Tenn., Highways Nos. 20 and 29.
LONG BEACH BUS COMPANY and LONG BEACH RAILWAY COMPANY was formed by Sen. William Reynolds in the 1910s. In 1926 Frank Frankel bought both companies for $200,000. In 1946 the company was incorporated and was operating out of Rockville Centre running 15 buses over 40 miles. The company was operated by Bee Line, Inc.
LONG BEACH CITY LINES, INC. See Long Beach Transportation Company.
LONG BEACH MOTOR BUS COMPANY See Long Beach Transportation Company.
LONG BEACH PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION COMPANY See Long Beach Transportation Company.
LONG BEACH TRANSPORTATION COMPANY James Nicholas Stroup, in his University of California at Riverside theses “Jitneys, Buses, and Public Transportation in Twentieth Century Los Angeles” (2015), writes “Pacific Electric lost its exclusive transportation rights and in November, 1916 the City of Long Beach awarded a franchise to a group of independent jitney operators who banded together to form the Long Beach Transportation Company. A 10-year contract allowed automobiles to provide the public transportation needs along Ocean Avenue and beyond.” The company’s prosperity was such that by the early 1920s its buses were transporting more than 4 million riders annually with a profit of $200,000 each year. With that kind of profit margin (equivalent to approx $2,600,000 in 2018 dollars), the greed factor took hold. Stroup writes: “In light of this profit, in 1926 the City of Long Beach seriously considered operating the bus system itself by purchasing Long Beach Transportation Company’s equipment with an $850,000 bond, but instead opted to grant a new bus franchise to Pacific Electric on the terms of a citywide 7-cent bus fare with transfer rights onto P.E. streetcars throughout Los Angeles County. Pacific Electric operated the buses in Long Beach with a renegotiated fare of 5 cents until 1940, when the Lang Transportation Company took over with a contingent of 90 buses to completely replace P.E. equipment in Long Beach, including the few remaining streetcar lines, which were torn up and re-deeded to the city.” The December 17, 1926 edition of the Los Angeles Times gives more insight: “Dec. 16. Some forty-four busses and equipment owned by the Long Beach Transportation Company, and operated for several years on the Atlantic-avenue and Fourth-street lines, were taken over today by the B. & H. Transportation Company, operators of several other bus lines in various parts of the city. The franchise of the Long Beach Transportation Company expired last midnight and was not renewed by the city. The new owners will operate the lines, with others, under special permits from the Council. Unless organized opposition develops and a referendum is demanded on the action of the Council last Friday, which voted to accept a city-wide transportation system offered by the Pacific Electric Company at a fare rate of seven cents and universal transfers, none but the busses and the street cars of the traction company will be in evidence In Long Beach soon after the first of the new year.” Because it still had 9 years left on its 15 year franchise with the city of Long Beach, the city’s other bus line, the B. & H. Transportation Company, was not caught up in this naked greed by the city fathers. (B.&H. had been operating on routes not covered by the Long Beach Transportation Company.)
At this point there is conflicting information about the next phase of transit service. According to Stroup’s theses, the city council granted their transit franchise to Pacific Electric Company, for which he cites newspaper articles of the period: the September 12, 1926, edition of the Los Angeles Times: “City May Buy Auto Bus Line,”F10; “Becoming Socialistic,” from the November 16, 1926, edition of the Los Angeles Times, I2; “Long Beach in Row on Busses,” from the December 11, 1926, edition of the Los Angeles Times, A5; and “Long Beach Will Get New Buses,” from the January 11 1940, edition of the Los Angeles Times,7. However, according to a history posted on Long Beach Transit’s website, the city council said “no thanks” to Pacific Electric. Instead its members went with an offer from Mike Lang, owner of Lang Transportation Company, which included Lang taking over B.&H. Transportation Company. (Based in Los Angeles, at that time Lang was one of California’s largest freight haulers.) According to the LBT’s history the offer was approved on September 30, 1927, and Lang started service on November 7 covering all the former routes of both Long Beach Transportation Company and B.&H.Transportation Company. In addition to operating buses under the Lang Transportation Company name, Lang also formed a subsidiary named Long Beach Motor Bus Company, which ran routes to Redondo Beach and Santa Monica from Long Beach.
The certainty is that Lang Transportation Company did take over B.&H. Transportation Company and its routes in 1926—including the equipment B.&H. had bought from the defunct Long Beach Transportation Company. It would seem that Long Beach Transit’s history may be confusing Lang’s 1926-1927 purchase of B.&H. with the entire bus system in Long Beach. Also, the LBT history doesn’t mention the greed of the Long Beach City Council, which was reported in the May 8, 1923, edition of the Los Angeles Times, article “Jitney Crisis in Long Beach”; “Long Beach Line Pays Huge Sum in Revenue”; instead, the LBT history says that the Long Beach Transportation Company’s lease was expiring and the company didn’t want to continue—which is highly unlikely since the company had posted record profits! Even more confusing in the LBT history is this statement: “After several years of negotiations, PE finally came to terms with Lang to sell all its Long Beach lines, remove the track, and convey its middle-of-the-street right of way to the city. By January 1940, Lang had taken over all the routes formerly run by Pacific Electric and had ordered 37 new buses to replace the PE streetcars. A year later, in February, 1941, Lang renewed its franchise for total city-wide service for another 12 ½ years.” The LBT history fails to explain Pacific Electric Company’s Long Beach service from 1926 until 1940 in its historical outline. In other words, Pacific Electric was operating a transit service in Long Beach and Lang Transportation Company didn’t gain control of all city routes until 1940, which is what Stroup stated in his theses! (This history is also backed by the Atwood-Coffee Catalogue‘s entry on Long Beach tokens.)
At any rate, the 1940 edition of MTD lists Lang Motor Bus Corporation as serving the city of Long Beach, with 86 buses operating over 101 route miles and Mike Lang as president of the company. As noted above, in February 1941 Lang renewed its franchise, which included city-wide service, for 12 ½ years. In June 1946 the company was sold to the infamous National City Lines for more than a million dollars. Under National City’s control, the routes inside of Long Beach were run by Long Beach City Lines, Inc., while those outside the city continued under Long Beach Motor Bus Company. Service began on July 1, 1946; the 1946 edition of MTD notes the company was running 147 buses over 168.5 route miles, with National City Lines as the holding company, E. Roy Fitzgerald president; however, the company name was still listed as Lang Motor Bus Corporation. In 1954, Long Beach City Lines, Inc. was operating 124 buses over 168.5 route miles. (Long Beach Motor Bus Company’s routes were included in those numbers.)
On March 15, 1963, Long Beach voters approved the formation of Long Beach Public Transportation Company. On Friday, August 30, 1963, the Long Beach City Lines and the Long Beach Motor Company were sold to Long Beach Public Transportation Company for $900,000. That company would become known as Long Beach Transit. The Long Beach City Transit badge measures approx. 3″ x 2 ½” and was made by made by Greenduck Co. Chicago. The Long Beach Public Transportation badge is a pin back example hallmarked “ENTENMANN LOS ANGELES I5″ with the badge number stamped on the back; it measures approx. 2″ x 2¼”.
LONG BEACH TRANSIT See Long Beach Transportation Company.
LONG BRANCH-KEANSBURG BUS COMPANY was running in the 1960s and was connected to the New York-Keansburg Bus Company, Inc. It appears to have been a school bus contractor, as the only record I find is from 1965 and mentions driver Frank Morris of West Keansburg, who was nominated for a safe driving award by 14 fifth grade pupils at Bayview School. (See New York-Keansburg Bus Company, Inc. for more information.)
LONG ISLAND BUS SERVICE From their website: “The Long Island Bus Service excels in transporting people short distances, within the cities and between their homes and Rail Road Stations. It is somewhat a part of the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority for bus service throughout Nassau County and some stops along the western border of Suffolk County, and the eastern border of Queens on Long Island, New York. Long Island Bus provides convenient service to people who live or work in nearly 100 Long Island communities who board on buses and arrive at their destinations safely and comfortably.
“The Long Island Bus was founded in 1973 under the name Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority by the combination of ten privately-chartered bus companies, including Bee-Line, Inc. (founded 1922) and its subsidiaries, Rockville Centre Bus Corp. (started 1927) Utilities Lines, Inc., (started 1926, under Bee Line since 1952), and Stage Coach Lines; Schenck Transportation Co (originally a Great Neck livery stable), Semke Bus Line, (started 1918) Jerusalem Ave Bus Line, Hempstead Bus Corp (started 1926), Roosevelt Bus Line, Branch Bus Corp. (started 1949), and Hendrickson Bus Corp. (started 1949, its only route from Glen Cove to Oyster Bay has been abandoned, but the name Hendrickson survives today as a charter carrier) Nassau Bus Line and Universal Auto Bus (organized 1921) had been acquired by Schenck in the 1960’s, Checker Bus Corp. had been reformulated into Stage Coach Lines in the 1960’s. Star Bus became Mid-Island Transit in 1966, and then became part of Stage Coach Lines.“
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN & CICKAMAUGA SIGHTSEEING COMPANY began operations in June 1911 and was running in the late 1920s from Hamilton County, Tennessee.
Lorain City Lines (OH) 1959
LORAIN TRANSIT COMPANY See LAKE SHORE COACH COMPANY, INC.
LOS ANGELES METROPOLITAN TRANSIT AUTHORITY / MTA The Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (sometimes referred to as LAMTA or MTA I) was a public agency formed in 1951. During the MTA’s tenure, the last remaining rail transit lines in Los Angeles were abandoned and replaced with bus service, the last former Pacific Electric line in April 1961, and the last former Los Angeles Railway lines in 1963. The agency was taken over by the Southern California Rapid Transit District (RTD) on November 5, 1964. In turn, the RTD was merged into the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority in 1993. (This agency is often referred to as MTA II.) There are two styles of badges: the first is made of what looks like pressed brass, and the second is made of metal with a painted surface. Both badges measures approx. 3″ x 2½” and have two threaded posts. Also pictured are a gold-filled and solid 10k gold service pin, and a later 1¾” driver badge made of tin, paper and plastic. (This badge was issued near the time of the takeover of the MTA by the RTD.)
LOS ANGELES MOTOR BUS COMPANY / LOS ANGELES MOTOR COACH COMPANY Los Angeles Motor Bus Company began operations in Los Angeles, California, on August 1, 1923, as a joint venture between the Los Angles Railway Company and Pacific Electric Railway Company. The company was headquartered in the Pacific Electric Building, Los Angeles. On November 1, 1927, the name was changed to Los Angeles Motor Coach Company. Frank Van Vranken was the first general manager. The company was succeeded by Los Angeles Transit Lines in 1949.
LOS ANGELES PACIFIC COMPANY BALLOON ROUTE The following information was gleaned from the Electrical Railway Historical Association of Southern California, which in turn uses info from the October 30, 1909, issue of the Electric Railway Journal: “The Los Angeles Pacific Company is one of the large interurban electric properties on the Pacific Coast owned by the Harriman interests. It operates between Los Angeles, Hollywood, Colegrove, Sherman, Sawtelle, Soldiers’ Home, Port Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Ocean Park, Venice, Palms, Playa del Rey, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach and intermediate stations in California. This Road does a general passenger and freight business and also operates an express and mail service. The passenger business consists principally of an interurban traffic between Los Angeles and the above-mentioned towns and cities. Local passenger traffic in Los Angeles and the other cities served is an important item but does not compare in volume with the interurban traffic.”
“The Balloon Route Trolley Trip was the most famous trolley trip in the west. In its day, few tourists to Los Angeles missed riding the Balloon Route cars, chiefly because of the strenuous efforts of the man who, more than any other, was responsible for the remarkable run of public favor this trolley trip enjoyed. That man is Mr. C.M. Pierce, in his ninetieth year as this is being written (November, 1955) and still very active and in excellent health. The Pacific Electric Railway would later become part of the history of the Balloon Route Excursion. The route ran Santa Monica, Hollywood, Laurel Canon, Playa Del Rey, Santa Monica Canon, Sawtelle, Ocean Park, Colegrove, Sherman, Soldier’s Home, Brentwood Park, Palms, Venice, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Westgate, Port Los Angeles.” The badge is extremely rare! It measures 2 ½” x 2″, has a pin and clasp fastener and is marked “PETTIBONE BRO. M.F.G. Co. CIN. O.”
LOS ANGELES RAILWAY COMPANY / LARy / LOS ANGELES RAILWAY MOTOR COACH / LOS ANGELES TRANSIT LINES According to the Metro Library and Archive Los Angeles Railway ran from 1895 until 1945 and is remembered as operating the famous Yellow Cars of Los Angeles. The company’s streetcars were a familiar sight running down the center of LA streets from downtown to neighborhoods in about a six mile radius of downtown. There were about 642 miles of track at its peak in 1924. Henry E. Huntington ran the system until his death in 1927. In addition to streetcars, the company also operated buses under its subsidiary the Los Angeles Railway Motor Coach Company. These buses offered connections to the company’s Yellow Cars. (For more information see the above entry for the LOS ANGELES MOTOR BUS COMPANY / LOS ANGELES MOTOR COACH COMPANY.) In 1945 the Huntington Estate sold LARy to National City Lines, which operated the system as Los Angeles Transit Lines. In 1958 Los Angeles Transit Lines was taken over by the Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA). Beginning in 1947 the MTA ran both trolley buses and regular buses. It discontinued streetcars and trolley buses in 1963. In 1963 the MTA was changed into Southern California Rapid Transit District (RTD), which ran until 1993. (ALSO SEE: Metropolitan Coach Lines and Pacific Electric.)
Los Angeles Railway Company badges are rare. Below is an example for a conductor made by Chipron Stamp Company in Los Angeles. It is made of nickel with a pin back.
There are several badge styles for Los Angeles Railway Motor Coach. Typically the badges have two threaded posts and are either unmarked, or marked “AMERICAN RAILWAY SUPPLY N. Y.”, “L.A. Stamp Company STATY. CO.”, or “F. G. CLOVER CO. SUCCESSOR TO AM. RY. S.CO., NEW YORK”. They measure approx. 2″ x 2″ with the supervisor badge measures approx. 2″ x 3″.
Los Angeles Transit Lines badges are among the most sought after transit badges out there. Their appearance at auction always excites a lot of interests and you “ain’t gonna” get this one cheap, unless someone ignorant of its value offers it at a low “buy it now” price! The badge has two threaded posts, measures 2½” x 3″ and has hallmarks for Greenduck Co. Chicago. It has enamel that reflects the livery/color of the company’s streetcars and buses. The second photo below is of safety award pins given by Los Angeles Transit Lines.
LOS ANGELES TRANSIT LINES (See the above entry for Los Angeles Railway.)
LOS ANGELES-TRONA STAGES, INC. was operating in the 1920s from Los Angeles, California, to Trona, California. James R. Proper was the owner. In 1956 the company was operating 26 buses and served Los Angeles, Trona, Mojave, Muroc, Beechers, Randsburg, Johannesburg and San Bernardino. The company operated until 1958.
LOS BANOS-DOS PALOS-MERCED STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Dos Palos, California. B. Hoyle was the registered contact.
LOS BANOS MERCED STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Merced, California. C.E. Stavros was the registered contact.
LOS FLORES-TOPANGA CANYONE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Santa Monica, California. Francis Brunner was the registered contact.
LOUIE’S BUS LINE I have no information about this company. Maybe someone will know and tell the rest of us. The badge is marked on the thumb nuts “THE C. H. HANSON CO. CHICAGO”; it measures 2 ½ ” high, 2 ⅜”.
LOUIS A. FUOCO BUS LINE ran in Suffolk County, New York on Long Island from 1962 until 1996. It was based in East Patchogue and served Patchogue, East Patchogue, Hagerman, Bellport, South Haven, Mastic, Mastic Beach, Port Jefferson, Medford, Coram, Ridge, Calverton, and Riverhead.
LOUISVILLE TRANSIT COMPANY This company’s history starts with the Louisville City Railway Company, which has a history in Louisville, Kentucky, dating back to the Civil War and a mule car line. In 1890 Louisville City Railway changed its name to Louisville Railway Company. In 1923 the Louisville Railway Company formed a bus subsidiary Kentucky Carriers Inc. In 1948 the last streetcars ran in Louisville. In 1951 the last trolleybuses were discontinued and Louisville Railway Company changed its name to Louisville Transit Company. In 1953 Louisville Transit Company took over routes from Southeastern Greyhound Lines; in 1958 it acquired Buechel Bus Company; in 1972 it acquired Kentucky Bus Lines routes. The Transit Authority of River City (TARC) was created in 1971 after 1970 legislation authorized city and county governments to operate mass-transit systems using local funding. In 1974 voters approved a referendum allowing for an increased occupational tax to fund mass transit. Combined with a federal grant, this was enough for TARC to purchase the Louisville Transit Company, buy new buses, reduce fares, and extend new service lines. TARC bought the remaining mass transit companies in the area: Blue Motor Coach Lines (which served outlying areas) in 1976, and the Daisy Line (connecting New Albany and Louisville) in 1983. (See Transit Authority of River City for more information.) The below badge is made of plastic / celluloid.
LOUISIANA TRANSIT COMPANY was a bus company that connected New Orleans, Louisiana, with Kenner and Harahan, Louisiana, which are both suburbs of New Orleans. In 1954 it was running 17 buses.
LOVELL BUS LINES INC. / WOBURN & READING BUS LINE This company begins in the early 1920s with Woburn & Reading Bus Line, which ran between Woburn and Reading, Massachusetts. In 1923 the company ran from Maynard to Acton and Maynard to Concord and Stow to Hudson. Either John Lovell owned the line, or he purchased it because in 1924 he changed the name to Lovell Bus Lines, Incorporated. The company was operating in the 1930s and 1940s in the area of Weymouth, Massachusetts. In 1953 it was sold to Middlesex & Boston Street Railway. In 1972 Middlesex & Boston Street Railway was acquired by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. There are three different badges. The first badge pictured was made by “R. WOODMAN BOSTON MASS”. The bottom badge is made of nickel-plated brass and measures 1¾” in diameter. (Note the safety pin was added at a later time.)
Lower Valley Bus Lines (TX) 1959
WILLIAM H. LUDDY & SON, INC. The company was founed by William H. Luddy and his son, William A. Luddy (1902-1976), in 1920 in East Bridgewater, Massachusetts. It was incorporated in 1962. It was dissolved in 1983. The company also owned and operated William H. Luddy Moving Company. W. H. LUDDY & SON’s bus operation served Brockton, East Bridgewater, Whitman, Abington and Quincy, Massachusetts. The badge is made of nickel-plated brass and has two threaded posts.
LUND COACH CO., INC. was incorporated February 15, 1932. Effective January 12, 1933, it ran in Queens, New York City, to the Creedmore State Hospital.
LUDINGTON-BALDWIN LINE was operating in Michigan in the 1930s.
LYONSVILLE STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Lyonsville and Red Bluff, California. Leander Myers and Frank Glassburner were the registered contacts.
LYNCHBURG TRANSIT COMPANY This company connection to the National Trailways Bus System is somewhat tenuous. By the mid 1940s Samuel A. Jessup and son Claude A. Jessup were a powerful force in the National Trailways Bus System, which was due to their ownership of Virginia Stage Lines, later Virginia Trailways—a company that grew into a 385-employee business with routes across most of Virginia and into North Carolina and Washington, D.C. In the mid 1940s the Jessup family bought the city transit companies in Roanoke, and Lynchburg, Virginia, and Wilmington, North Carolina. They were Roanoke Railway & Electric Company and its holding company, Consolidated Electric & Gas Company, in Roanoke, Virginia; Safety Motor Transit Company, also under Consolidated Electric & Gas Company; Safeway Transit Company, which served Wilmington, North Carolina; and eventually they controlled Safeway Trails, Inc., which joined Trailways in 1938 as Safeway Trailways.
Lynchburg Transit Company was controlled by Samuel A. Jessup as president, Claude A. Jessup as vice president, with F. G. McGee as general manager. (Consolidated Electric & Gas Company was the holding company.) The company ran 48 buses over 125 route miles. This agency was connected to Jessup’s Virginia Trailways, which accounts for the company badge displaying the Trailways logo. The badge measures 2⅔” x 2⅝” and has two threaded posts. Hallmarked “Highway Outfitting Company – NYC.”
LYNNFIELD COMMUNITY BUS COMPANY, INC. was granted a franchise in 1921 to operate in North Saugus, Massachusetts. It was a rival to the Eastern Massachusetts Street Railway.
Copyright © 2020 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.