Photos of badges from BUS COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “M”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
M. V. TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / / MEDI-VAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / M. V. TRANSPORTATION, INC. This company began with Alex and Feysan Lodde’s “determination to help their community’s most vulnerable citizens. In 1975, realizing the limited transportation options for the elderly and people with disabilities, the Loddes began providing transportation services throughout San Francisco—at that time one of the least accessible cities in the U.S.” The company was incorporated in the State of California as MediVan Transportation Company in 1978. In 1990 the name was changed to MV Transportation, Inc. Today the corporation is the largest privately held and domestically owned transportation management company in the United States. With its corporate headquarters based in Dallas, Texas and satellite support centers located in Vacaville, California and Elk Horn, Iowa, MV operates more than 200 locations across North America. In addition to operations in 29 of the United States and the District of Columbia, MV has operations in three Canadian Provinces. The badges are metal, with a single threaded post and measure approx. 1½” in length.
McALESTER CITY LINES In 1946 this company was serving McAlester, Savanna, Naval Ammunition Depot, Haywood, Blocker, Featherston, Quinton, Kinta, Stigler, Lequire, McCurrtain, Bokoshe and Spiro, Oklahoma. The company ran 16 buses over 156 route miles.
McALISTER BUS LINES was operating out of Springfield, Missouri, in the early 1940s.
McCLAIN TRANSIT COMPANY was running a bus service in Muncie, Indiana, in 1925.
McCOMB CITY LINES operated a local and an intercity company out of McComb, Mississippi, in the 1940s. In 1954 it operated 7 buses over 80 route miles. It was owned by Karey Andrews and W. I. Stones, who also owned and operated Arrow Bus Lines, which was an intercity company running a route between McComb and Hattiesburg.
McCONNHA STAGE LINE was operating in the San Francisco Bay, California, area in 1922.
McDONALD BUS CO. was operating in Youngstown, Ohio, in the 1940s. The badge is made of nickel and measures approx. 1 ¾” x 1 ⅜”.
McDOWELL-LAFFERTY LINES began business after owners Frank and Maxine McDowell bought Lafferty Stage Lines in January 1969. They ran a charter bus service, and some regular service around Port Townsend, Washington, notably to the local paper mill. The company was sold to Elmer and Sandra Stevens in 1972 who renamed the company Stevens Stage Lines.
McGREGOR’S BUS LINES was operating in the 1940s from St. Ignace to Manistique, Michigan. The company was sold to Northland Greyhound Lines in 1944.
A. MACHOMICH STAGE LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of Blairsden, California.
MACK BROTHERS TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was a one time small local Long Island, New York, operator. In the 1930s it served the south shore communities of Baldwin and Baldwin Harbor with both transit and school contracts.
MACKENZIE COACH LINES, INC. / MACKENZIE TRAILWAYS Jon Hobijn gives some background on the founding of this company: “In December 1920, Howard P. MacKenzie, a native of Nova Scotia, moved to the Boston area looking for work. In order for him to spend his summer vacation with his family back home, his employer gave him a month’s vacation with pay. Other Nova Scotians living in the Boston area heard he was driving home, called to inquire if they could go with him, offering to pay a part of the trip’s cost. After several years of doing this, the idea for a bus line, his own business, occurred to him. is first regular trip from Boston to Sydney, Nova Scotia, 895 miles, was August 18, 1934, using a 1931, seven passenger Cadillac car. Two passengers accompanied him on his trip. The route was Boston, Portland, Bangor, St. Stephen, St. John, Moncton, and Truro to Sydney.” In 1935 MacKenzie applied to the Interstate Commerce Commission and received a certificate to operate. The name of his company was MacKenzie Coach Lines, which was incorporated in Massachusetts on December 20, 1937. In 1938 the company joined the National Trailways Bus System as MacKenzie Trailways; however, their membership was short lived due to the fact that it showed little if any profit. In 1948 the company was sold to brothers Israel and Joseph Winner of Lewiston, Maine, who operated Union Square Stages, Inc., and The White Line, a suburban line service in Lewiston. In 1951 the company became embroiled in a lawsuit with S. M. T. Eastern Limited, which was ultimately settled in the Supreme Court of Canada in favor of MacKenzie Coach Lines, Inc. S. M. T. Eastern, Ltd., took the matter higher and appealed to the Privy Council in London, England. The legal cost involved forced the Winner brothers to sell their company to Maine Central Transport Company, Inc. (For more detailed info, see Jon Hobijn Installment Thirty Two: MacKenzie Trailways.)
MACKINAC MOTOR BUS COMPANY, INC. was operating in the 1930s. In 1939 Seth McGregor was the manager. The company ran as an intercity operation serving Saulte Ste. Marie, St. Ignace, Michigan, along US 2, via Rudyard. It is not listed in the 1946 MTD.
McMAHON TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. This intercity bus company was incorporated in 1916 in Maryland and was originally running out of Baltimore. In 1926 it operated between Baltimore, Maryland, and Hanover, Pennsylvania. In 1957 the company was operating 36 over 309 route miles. According to several internet sites the company is still operational as a charter bus service. The badge appears to be made of nickel, or nickel-plated brass.
McMAKIN MOTOR COACH / McMAKIN MOTOR COACHES, INC. was founded in the 1930s by Charles C. McMakin in Lubbock, Texas. The company served Clovis, Earth, Plainview, Vernon and Lubbock, Texas. In 1937 McMakin bought out Red Star Coaches, Inc., and folded it’s service into McMakin Motor Coaches, which was thereafter known as McMakin Motor Coaches, Inc. At some point McMakin joined the National Trailways Bus System as McMakin Trailways. By 1938 McMakin had bought out South Plains Motor Coaches, Inc. and was running both companies. That merger would lead to the founding of Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma Coaches, Inc. (TNM&O) in 1939. That year the Russell’s Guide listed McMakin Motor Coaches, Inc. and TNM&O Coaches, Inc., as one and the same company. Interestingly, Charles McMakin isn’t mentioned in the company’s operations, while C. M. Owens, who was the former general manager of Red Star Coaches, Inc., which Charles C. McMakin had bought out in 1937, was listed as the traffic manager for TNM&O Coaches. The badge is a pin back. (ALSO SEE McMAKIN TRAILWAYS.)
A. McMILLEN’S BUS LINE was operating in the 1930s in Appleton, Minnesota. Not much info other than it is mentioned in the Atwood-Coffee Catalogue.
McMINNVILLE-INDEPENDENCE LINE was operating a 26-mile route between McMinnville and Independence, Oregon, in 1923.
McPHERSON BUS LINE ran out of Elizabeth City, North Carolina in the mid 1920s. It served Elizabeth City to State Line, destination Norfolk, Va., Highways Nos. 34 and 341; Elizabeth City to Edenton, Highway 342; Elizabeth City to State Line, destination Norfolk, Va., Highway No. 34 via Camden, Belcross, Gregory, Shawboro, Snowden and Moyock.
McVEY STAGE LINES was operating in the San Francisco Bay, California, area in 1922.
MADDEN’S STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Blocksburg, California. J.A. Madden was the registered contact.
MADERA-RAYMOND-WAWONA STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Raymond, California. T.J. Cronin was the registered contact.
MADERA-SUGAR PINE STAGE COMPANY was operating out of Madera, California, in the mid 1920s. F. Snyder and G. L. Hereford were the owners.
MADERA-YOSEMITE BIG TREES AUTO COMPANY, INC. was operating out of the mid 1920s out of Miami Lodge, California. Edward T. Huffman was th president and manager.
MADISON AVENUE COACH COMPANY, INC. was a bus operator in New York City, from 1933-1951, operating a bus service over the former New-York and Harlaem Rail-Road streetcar line after streetcar service was abandoned in 1935. It was controlled by the New York Railways Company from 1933 to 1936, when control was taken over by New York City Omnibus Corporation.
Madison Bus Company (WI) 1959
MADISON BUS COMPANY, INC. was operating out of Marshall, North Carolina, in the mid 1920s. It ran from Asheville to Marshall via Weaverville and Mars Hill.
MADISON-COLUMBUS BUS LINE ran out of Madison, Indiana, in the early 1920s, and managed by Robert Bailey. In March 1926 the company petitioned the public service commission of Indiana asking they be allowed to reduce their fares. (Presumably, in an effort to compete with their business rivals.) The May 28, 1926 edition of The Republic from Columbus, Indiana noted the company’s demise: “Indianapolis, May 28. The public service commission has authorized sale of the Madison-Columbus bus line permit to operate buses to Cyral D. Pratt for $1.” In July 1926 the public service commission canceled the certificate of Madison-Columbus Bus Line, which was due to the company having ceased operations.
MAGNOLIA-BOULEVARD BUS LINE was operated by N. McDonald in the mid 1920s out of Burbank, California.
MAINE CENTRAL TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / SamOse COMPANY The SamOse Company was formed in Maine in 1925 as a bus subsidiary of Maine Central Railroad Company. Late in 1931 Maine Central Railroad Company issued this statement: “January 1, 1932: effective this date all motor coach and truck operations by the Maine Central Railroad Company will be conducted by the Maine Central Transportation Company. These operations, which had been conducted by the SamOset Company, have grown to such an extent that it is desirable to operate this service by a separate company devoted exclusively to highway motor transportation. Accordingly the name of the Kineo Company, a wholly owned subsidiary previously inactive, was changed to Maine Central Transportation Company with appropriate change in certificate of purposes filed with the Secretary of State.” In 1942 the company served Bagor to Bucksport, Maine. E. D. Westcott was the general manager. In 1946 the company operated 58 buses over 1,000 route miles. In the early 1950s the company bought out MacKenzie Coach Lines, Inc. It joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1952, and remained until 1955 when the company was taken over by Greyhound Lines. On April 8, 1955, Greyhound Lines acquired all the capital stock of Maine Central Transportation Co., Inc. and created a new division known as Maine Greyhound Lines, Inc. However, Greyhound continued to operate buses under the Maine Central Transportation Company name, which, in 1956, was cited as the largest intrastate operator in Maine.
MAINE–LAND STAGES, INC. was operating out of Lewiston, Maine, in the mid 1930s. There’s almost nothing else known of the company. It’s mentioned in a Massachusetts state record from 1935, which might indicate it was an interstate operation; it is metioned in a July 1935 newspaper report involving a pedestrian and a Maine Land Stages bus; and finally a Supreme Judicial Court of Maine case dated July 17, 1935. The badge measures approx. 2¼” x 1¾”, is made of gilt brass, has one threaded post and one pin post.
MALDEN BUS LINES See Service Bus Lines, Inc.
MABSTOA / MANHATTAN & BRONX SURFACE TRANSIT OPERATING AUTHORITY is a subsidiary of the New York City Transit Authority, created in 1962 to take over bus services for the bankrupt Fifth Avenue Coach Company and Surface Transit, Inc. The Chairman and Members of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, by statute, also serve as the Chairman and Members of the Transit Authority, and serve as the Directors of the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority.
The first badge dates from the 1960s, and is made of nickel-plated brass with one threaded post. It is marked on the back. The second badge is one of the most common transit badges to be found; it is die pressed with a single threaded post. (Also see Operating Authority / OA for an additional badge style.)
MANHATTAN – PLUM BEACH AUTO STAGE, INC. was a bus operator in Brooklyn, New York. In April, 1919 the company started a bus route in the Sheepshead Bay area, which ultimately became part of the current B1 line of the New York City Transit Authority in New York. (Note: the company is often cited as Plum Beach Auto Stage, leaving off “Manhattan” in the title.) The company was still running in the 1920s.
MANHATTAN & QUEENS BUS CORPORATION Received its franchise on December 30, 1936 to operate routes in the Boroughs of Manhattan and Queens in New York City. Its routes were passed to Green Bus Lines in 1943. (See Manhattan & Queens Traction Company.)
MANHATTAN & QUEENS TRACTION COMPANY From Metro Wiki: “The Manhattan and Queens Traction Company was an operator of streetcars across the Queensboro Bridge from Manhattan to Queens. It had one route, the Queens Boulevard Line from midtown Manhattan to South Jamaica in Queens. It operated over Queens Boulevard and Sutphin Boulevard. The route was abandoned April 17, 1937 and replacement bus service was operated under the route number Q60 by Manhattan & Queens Bus Corporation, passing to Green Bus Lines in 1943.”
MANHATTAN TRANSIT COMPANY was incorporated in 1902 and is the successor of the General Carriage Company. It had a perpetual franchise for running “electric and other vehicles in the streets of Greater New York and all other cities in this state.” (Electrical Review New York July 7 to December 29, 1906.) It operated bus lines between New York city and New Jersey. The company’s primary lines ran along Route 46 and Washington Avenue between midtown Manhattan and Wayne, New Jersey. In 1956 the company was headquartered in East Patterson, New Jersey, and had 65 buses running over 45 route miles. It controlled the Westwood Transportation Lines, Inc. I’m not sure of its status. The badge is die-pressed, nickel-plated metal with one threaded post.
MANSFIELD BUS LINES, INC. was a city bus lines that ran in Mansfield, Ohio. It took over operations from Mansfield Rapid Transit, Inc. in 1962 and ran until 1972. The badge measures 1 ½” x 2″.
MAPLE CREEK-KORBEL STAGE was operating out Korbel, California. P.H. Peterson was the registered contact.
MAPLE HEIGHTS TRANSIT (Ohio) municipal bus system began operations in 1935, with a route to downtown Cleveland and another route connecting with Shaker Heights Rapid Transit. Operationally still separate from Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority.
MARION-FT. WAYNE MOTOR COACH COMPANY ran in the mid 1920s from Marion to Anderson, Indiana.
MARION MOTOR BUS CORPORATION was operating in the early 1920s out of Marion, Indiana. The April 12, 1925 edition of the Huntington Press from Huntington, Indiana reported that the company’s “Golden Star” line running between Fort Wayne and Indianapolis had been combined with a route of the Hoosier Stage Line of Indianapolis. The joint venture saw the companies ordering new buses: “Several new cars will be. added which will be equipped with all the latest ‘ safety devices, including Westinghouse air cushion shock absorbers. The company also emphasizes the fact that every passenger who rides on the cars is adequately insured.“
The July 18, 1925 edition of the Indianapolis Star from Indianapolis, Indiana, announced the next phase of the company’s history: “MARION, Ind., July 17. Announcement is made in this city that the Fort Wayne division of the Marion Motor Bus Corporation and the Hoosier Stage lines, incorporated, of Indianapolis, have been consolidated, making a direct through service between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne, through Marion. The through service will be inaugurated Sunday morning, when seven new motor parlor cars will be placed in operation. It is said the Hoosier Stage lines will direct the operation of the Indianapolis, Marlon & Fort Wayne lines, and the name, it is said, will be changed to the ‘White Swan’ lines.” Since
In the September 18, 1925 edition of the Alexandria Times-Tribune from Alexandria, Indiana, carried an ad for the new service: “White Swan-Stands for Service Comfort, low rates. Quick service and absolute safety are yours when you ride in the new parlor cars of the White Swan lines. The finest bus line in the country, operated by a company with moral and financial responsibility. To Indianapolis – $1.20 One Way $1.85 Round Trip To Fort Wayne $2.10 One Way. HOOSIER STAGE LINES INC.“
The ultimate fate of the company was announced in the March 1926 edition of the Electric Railway Journal: “Union Traction Company of Indiana, Anderson, Ind., has been granted the petition recently made by Arthur W. Brady, receiver for the company, for authority to buy bus equipment of the Hoosier State Lines at a price of approximately $135,000. The petition was granted by the judge of the Circuit Court at Anderson, where receivership proceedings had originally been brought. There are at present sixteen buses on the Hoosier Lines and it is expected that additional equipment will be purchased from Mack Trucks, Inc. Mr. Brady stated that leases on bus stations used by the Hoosier Stage will be sought, and that several other details will require attention before the final transfer of the bus equipment is made.”
MARION RAILWAYS, INC. The following info is from Wikimarion.org.: Marion was one of the first communities in Indiana to have a public transportation system. As early as 1889, the first street car company was created. In those glorious but primitive days, the cars were pulled by mules or horses, but in the following years several companies sprung up and started offering electric service. The times changed, however, when Union Traction Company purchased the last local street car company, Marion City Railway Company, in 1899.
When customers became dissatisfied with the service that Union Traction provided with its street cars, (later in 1899) Marion Transit Railway was created.
The competition was fierce, however, and Marion Transit went out of business a few years later. Union Traction and then other interurban companies established lines to and within Marion. For many years they dominated the street car industry in Marion until street cars became unprofitable. Then they sold all of the street cars and streetcar tracks in Marion to some local business men. They formed Marion Railways, Inc. in 1933. The street cars enjoyed a period of prosperity and popularity until they were given up for busses in 1947. The badge is nickel-plated with a single threaded post and was made by S.H. REESE 57 WARREN ST. NEW YORK, N.Y.
MARIPOSA AUTO STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Mariposa, California.
MARIPOSA-BAGBY AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Mariposa, California. S.L. James was the registered contact.
MARIPOSA-JERSEYDALE AUTO STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Mariposa, California. John Leonard was the registered contact.
MARKE BUS COMPANY, INC. ran from Maywood to Paterson, New Jersey, in 1922.
MARKET ST. RY. CO. Market Street Railway Company was issued to employees of San Francisco’s cable car and streetcar company in ca. 1892-1902. The badge was made by “MOISE – K.S.F.”.
MARKLEEVILLE-FREDERICKSBURG STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Markleeville, California. Seth Bergevin and George W. Koenig were the registered contacts.
MARQUETTE BUS SERVICE is a privately owned business incorporated in 1970 in Marquette, Michigan. It operated a local city service and an intercity service between Marquette and Negaunee and Ishpeming. With the company facing financial difficulties, on June 25, 1973 the city of Marquette created the Marquette Transit Authority to take over the operation. The company is still in service.
MARQUETTE TRANSIT LINES succeeded the Marquette City Railway Company in 1935 after the latter company stopped running streetcars in Marquette, Michigan. It was owned by Lee H. Duer, who, in 1946, was running 5 buses in the city. By 1954 this company was out of business.
MARTINEZ-BAY POINT STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Oakland, California. H.J. Southerland was president.
MARTINEZ – CONCORD AUTOMOBILE STAGE LINE / MARTINEZ – CONCORD STAGE LINE / R. MILLER STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Martinez, California. R. Miller was the owner.
MARTZ LINES / FRANK MARTZ COACH COMPANY, INC. / MARTZ TRAILWAYS was founded in 1908 by Frank Martz, Sr. in Plymouth, Pennsylvania and operated between small mining towns in Pennsylvania. (The following info is from the company’s website.) In 1912 Martz took over an intercity bus service based in Wilkes-Barre and operated it under the name White Transit Company. Rides cost 5¢ and stayed that price until 1952 – the last nickel bus fare in the country. In 1922 the Frank Martz Coach Company was formed for intra-city interstate express service operating between Wilkes-Barre and New York City-Philadelphia-Albany, NY-Syracuse, NY-Buffalo-Cleveland, OH-Detroit and Chicago, IL. Because of its use of parlor cars, it was promoted as Club Coach Service. In 1927 the company’s headquarters was established in Wilkes-Barre and was incorporated as Frank Martz Coach Company. Frank Martz, Sr. was one of the founding members of the National Trailways Bus System, and in 1936 joined as Martz Trailways. Also in 1936, Frank Martz, Jr. succeeded his father in the company and held the position until 1964. Frank Henry, grandson of Frank Martz Sr., became the 3rd generation of the family to lead the company when he took over as President in 1964, a position he held until 1996. In 1974 the company purchased Gold Line in Washington D.C. That same year the company began operating Grayline sightseeing, also in D.C. In 1983 Martz acquired Gulf Coast in Tampa & St. Petersburg, FL, and National Coach Works in Fredericksburg, VA. In 1986 Martz acquired First Class Coach Company in St. Petersburg, Florida. In 1988 the company acquired Tourtime America in Richmond, Virginia. In 1994 the company acquired Franklin Motorcoach in Virginia. In 1996 Scott Henry became the 4th Martz family member to take control of the company as President. The company is still in business today: “The mission of the Martz Group is to provide safe, reliable and courteous service at an affordable price, and has stayed true to this mission, vision, and community for over a century. The services offered have continuously evolved for the last 100 years, providing transportation in 7 states; Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, Washington D.C and Florida.”
In the 1946-47 MTD the company was listed as operating 75 buses over 1950 route miles; in addition, the White Transit Company was running 25 buses over 25 route miles. Frank Martz, Sr. was listed as president of both companies, with Frank Martz, Jr. as the general manager of White Transit. There are Trailways badges out there, but I’ve yet to find a company badge for Frank Martz Coach Company.
MARYSVILLE-CAMPTONVILLE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Camptonville, California. The Pauly brothers were the owners/operators.
MARYSVILLE-LaPORTE STAGE COMPANY was operating out of Marysville, California, in the mid 1920s. A. Frandrup was the registered contact.
MARYSVILLE-NEVADA CITY AUTO STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Grass Valley, California. Edward A. Jones was the owner.
MASON & DIXON TRANSIT, INC. The history of this company’s founding is told in an excerpt from the September 28, 1929, issue of RAILWAY AGE MOTOR: “The Mason & Dixon Transit, Inc., with headquarters at Cincinnati . . . has been organized to take over a number of Ohio and Kentucky motor coach lines . . . Among the companies included in the merger are King Brothers Company, operating between Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio, and other points in southern Ohio; the Ohio Bus Lines Company, which operates between Cincinnati, Hamilton and Middletown, Ohio; the Blue Coach Lines, operating between Cincinnati and Lexington, Ky.; the Dixie Coach Line, which operates through northern Kentucky; the Gold Seal Transit Company, operating through central Kentucky; the Inter Cities Coach Lines, which operates between Hayton, Piqua, Sidney and Troy, Ohio, and the Covington Interurban Bus Terminal with lines out of Covington and near-by cities.” I have found no further information on this company and I suspect it was a holding company, since the companies it absorbed continued to operate under their previous names.
MASONTOWN BUS LINE was an intercity company operating out of Masontown, Pennsylvania, in the late 1940s through the 1960s. (The company was lasted mentioned in the 1960 edition of MTD.) It served Uniontown, Robena, Ronet, Nemacolin, Coylon, Hartley Shaft, Carmichaels, Pennsylvania. The company was owned by Domenick Schiavoni, Paul J. Feranti, Marco Albertini and John Mocibob. It ran 9 buses over 56 route miles in 1954. The badge is made of nickel-plated metal with one threaded post.
T / MASSACHUSETTS BAY TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY abbreviated MBTA and known colloquially as The T, is the public agency responsible for operating most public transportation services in Greater Boston, Massachusetts. Earlier modes of public transportation in Boston, such as the Boston Elevated Railway, were independently owned and operated; many were first folded into a single agency with the formation of the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) in 1947. The MTA was replaced in 1964 with the present-day MBTA, which was established as an individual department within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts before becoming a division of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation in 2009.The badge measures 2½” x 3″ and was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY.
MASSACHUSETTS NORTHEASTERN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / MASSACHUSETTS NORTHEASTERN STREET RAILWAY COMPANY The history of this company starts in Haverhill, Massachusetts, with the Massachusetts Northeastern Street Railway Company, which was formed by a merger of the Amesbury & Hampton St. Ry. Co., Citizens’ Electric St. Ry. Co., Haverhill & Amesbury St. Ry. Co., Haverhill & Plaistow St. Ry. Co., Haverhill & Southern New Hampshire St. Ry. Co., Lawrence & Methuen St. Ry. Co. and the Lowell & Pelham St. Ry. Co., all in Massachusetts. In New Hampshire, Haverhill, Plaistow & Newton St. Ry. Co., Hudson, Pelham & Salem St. Ry. Co., and Seabrook & Hampton Beach St. Ry. Co. were merged into the company. In 1924 the president of the company was David A. Belden. That year the company was renamed as the Massachusetts Northeastern Transportation Company. By 1930 all streetcar service had been discontinued. By the 1940s the company had relocated to Merrimac, Massachusetts and was operating 38 buses over 107 route miles. The company lasted until 1965, when its operation was assumed by Appleyard Bus Lines, which was sold in 1970 to Michaud Bus Lines. In 1974 the operation was taken over by the publicly owned Merrimac Valley Regional Transit Authority. The badge is nickel plated metal, measures 2¼” x 1½” with a single threaded post and a pin post.
MASTERSON AUTO SERVICE COMPANY ran a sightseeing “auto bus line” from Denver to Estes Park and other sightseeing points in Colorado. Order issued March 7, 1927, granting application.
MATHER FIELD STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Sacramento, California. R.A. Mallet was the registered contact.
MATHIS BUS LINES, INC. / MATHIS TRAILWAYS Mathis Bus Lines, Inc. was operating in the early 1930s from Blytheville, Arkansas. In 1945 the company’s address was 326 South Church Street, Jonesboro, Arkansas, and Edith Mathis was president. It ran from Blytheville to Dell, Roseland. Manila, Leachville, Monette, Black Oak, Lake City, Jonesboro, and Newport. It joined National Trailways from 1945-1950 as Mathis Trailways. In 1946 its Trailways schedule was NORTH-SOUTH: Lake City, Black Oak, Monette, Manila, Bltheville, Grubbs, Newport, Weiner, and Waldenburg; EAST-WEST: Truman, Marked Tree, Memphis, Hoxie, Walnut, Ridge, Mammoth Springs, West Plains, Springfield and Kansas City and operated out of Jonesboro’s Union Depot. The company was acquired by Great Southern Coaches in 1954.
MATTHEWS BUS LINE was an intercity bus company operating out of Moscow, Idaho in 1949. The original route was from Moscow, via St. Maries, Idaho to Spokane, Washington. The company isn’t listed in the 1946 MTD, nor in the 1952 or 1954 MTD. The known company badge is numbered “1,” which indicates it may have been a one-man operation. The badge features a 1949-1950 red Flxible bus that is clearly marked as such. My guess is that a Flxible Company salesman supplied the badge for the owner, hence the reason the badge is marked number 1. Moreover, the badge is in pristine condition, indicating that it saw little use and has passed the years in storage—another indication that the company wasn’t long in business. The badge was made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R.I., has two threaded posts and is made of chrome.
MAUSERT BUS COMPANY, INC. was founded by William M. Mausert of Clarksburg, Massachusetts, in the 1910s. In 1922 this company operated nine buses over the Mohawk Trail scenic highway between North Adams and Greenfield, Massachusetts. Mausert also started a tour service, and made headlines in 1922 when he took ten passengers on a tour from Massachusetts to Florida. There is a surviving photograph from March 10, 1922 taken in Jacksonville, Florida of the passengers and driver, on a six day tour to Miami.
MAUZY BUS LINE was operating in 1928 from Manistee to Filer City, Michigan.
MAXWELL-STONYFORD AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Stonyford, California. S.A. Porter and Roy D. Rice were operators.
MEADORS & ALLEN LINE ran buses between Louisville, Ky., and New Albany, Indiana, in the 1930s.
MECKLENBURG BUS LINE, INC. was operating in the early 1940s in Charlotte, North Carolina. It ran from West Jefferson to the North Carolina-Tennessee State Line at Trade, Tennessee via Smithport, Warrensville, Fig, Creston, Ashland and Southerland, over N. C. Highway No. 16.
MEECH’S BUS LINE operated in the mid 1920s from Corydon to New Albany, Indiana.
THE MEMPHIS STREET RAILWAY COMPANY was a privately owned operator of streetcars (trams) and trolleybuses in Memphis, Tennessee on roughly 160 route miles of overhead electrified cable and rails between 1895 and 1960. The longest of the rail lines reached from downtown to Memphis National Cemetery near Raleigh.
The Memphis Street Railway was created in March 1895 through the merger of several smaller systems including the Memphis & Raleigh Springs Railroad, East End Street Railway, Citizens Street Railroad and City & Suburban Railway. In 1890, when The Citizens Street Railroad of Memphis, Tennessee, suffered a financial setback, Albert Merritt Billings of Chicago, bought the company for over $2,000,000. Billings placed electric power on the roads and the company became a great success. At its peak the interurban operated nearly 77 miles of trackage, 51 one of which was double-track. Streetcars remained in use until 1947 when electric trolleybuses (trackless trolleys) were phased in fully. In 1958 the company name was changed to Memphis Transit Company. Trolleybuses were discontinued in use for diesel buses by 1960. In 1961 The City of Memphis Transit Authority took over and became publicly owned. (Information from Wikipedia.)
MEMPHIS TRANSIT COMPANY In 1958 the company came into existence when The Memphis Street Railway Company changed its name. The company provided city bus service in Memphis, Tennessee. In 1960 the company was operating city bus service with 141 buses and 164 trolley coaches over 462 route miles. In December 1960 the company agreed to sell its bus line to the city of Memphis, i.e., the City Of Memphis Transit Authority. The sale took place in January 1961.
MEMPHIS-WEST MEMPHIS TRANSIT COMPANY According to a Feb. 1950 newspaper article, this company was in operations from ca. 1935 in Memphis, Tennessee. In 1950 the Memphis-West Memphis Transit Company sued the city of West Memphis, Arkansas, and the West Memphis Transportation Company because it was denied the right to run its buses in the city of West Memphis. The company is not listed in the 1945-46, 1954, 1957 editions of MTD.
MENDOCINO COAST TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in the late 1920s out of Fort Bragg, California. W. W. Allen and C. A. Curtis were the owners, with C. A. Curtis president and A. T. Nelson secretary.
MERCURY BUS LINES, INC. was incorporated in 1946 in Alma, Michigan. From 1963-1975 it was operated by Cecil and Mildred Geiger and was located at 806 Francisco Ave, Alma, Michigan. (Both Cecil and Mildred Geiger drove buses for the company, with Mildred also taking care of the bookkeeping.) The company served Alma, Saginaw, Mt. Pleasant, Oil City, Midland and Freeland, Bay City. In the 1980s it was running charters. In 1983-1984 the company, along with Fred A. Russell’s Valley Coach Lines, Inc., was sold to Stanley Cupp, who owned and operated Cupp’s Schoolway Lines and Delta Bus Company. Cupp combined both Mercury Bus Lines and Valley Coach Lines to become Michigan Trailways, serving an area that covered Ohio and north to Mackinaw City.
MERIDIAN BUS LINE / FRICKLE TRANSFER LINCOLN NEBR. This badge is probably unique. On one side it reads “FRICKLE TRANSFER LINCOLN NEBR.” and on other side it reads “MERIDIAN BUS LINE”. It looks like the Frickle Transfer badge was made by recycling the Meridian badge. It may have been the same company with a name change. The badge looks like nickel.
MERRILL & MALIN STAGE was operating a 31-mile route between Klamath Falls and Malin, Oregon, in 1923.
MESABA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY Carl Eric Wickman (1887-1954) “. . . worked in a mine as a drill operator in Hibbing, Minnesota until he was laid off in 1914. In the same year, Wickman became a Hupmobile salesman as a partnership-owner. When he could not sell the first Hupmobile he received, he began operating a livery route from Hibbing and Alice, Minnesota. By using the seven multi-seat Hupmobile, he drove his former colleagues between the mines and homes. This was the start of what would later become the largest bus line in the United States, The Greyhound Corporation.” (From the Wikipedia article “Eric Wickman”.) A short time later Wickman joined Andrew G. Anderson and C.A.A. Heed, and formed a small transportation business serving the Iron Range country of Minnesota. Soon they joined with Ralph Bogan, a competitor, to form the Hibbing Transportation Company. In December 17, 1915, this group formed a new corporation named Mesaba Transportation Company. By 1917 the company was operating a fleet of 17 buses and was serving Grand Rapids, Michigan. Skipping over a lot of history, we move to September 20, 1926, when Eric Wickman and his partners formed the Motor Transit Corporation (MTC), which in 1929 was renamed The Greyhound Corporation.
From volume III of the book, Duluth and St. Louis County Minnesota Their Story and People (van Brunt, Walter, editor, 1921. Chicago and New York: The American Historical Society), we find the following information, which is significant since this was written at a time when the subjects were still alive and running their first big public transit enterprise: Carl Erich Wickman was born in Sweden on August 7, 1887; Carl A. A. Heed, born in Sweden on June 25, 1886 P; Andrew G. Anderson, born in Sweden on January 4, 1882; Edwin C. Ekstrom, born in Michigan on March 19, 1889. “In the latter part of 1914 three men, C. E. Wickman, Andrew G. Anderson and Carl A. A. Heed established a service with a Hupmobile seven-passenger touring car as a bus making regular trips for the accomodation of passengers between Hibbing (now South Hibbling) and Alice. . . . On January 1, 1916, the Mesaba Transportation Company was organized by the three enterprising young business men just mentioned. They incorporated with a capital of twenty-five thousand dollars. . . . The first president of Mesaba Transportation Company was J. F. Lindberg, while C. A. A. Heed was vice president, C. E. Wickman general manager and secretary, and Andrew G. Anderson, treasurer. . . . and the other member of the board of five directors is R. A. L. Bogan, who had been connected with the corporation from the beginning.” On January 1, 1920, a subsidiary corporation known as the Mesaba Motor Company was organized to supply vehicles and maintenance.
MESABA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY succeeded Mesaba Electric Railway Company in 1927 running buses in Hibbing, Minnesota. I’m not sure about the origins of this company, as it has the same name as a bus line from Hibbing to Alice, founded by Carl Wickman back in December 1915. (Along with partners Andrew G. Anderson and C.A.A. Heed, they first formed the Hibbing Transportation Company. In December 17, 1915 they formed a new corporation named Mesaba Transportation Company, which would become the Motor Transit Corporation in 1926, which in turn, was renamed The Greyhound Corporation.) In 1946 the president and general manager of Mesaba Transportation Company was Andrew G. Anderson, one of Carl Wickman’s original partners. I’m uncertain if this the original company—having remained in business since its founding—or if Mr. Anderson “re-founded” the company at a later date. At any rate, in 1946 the company ran 16 buses over 17 miles. In 1956 it was running 19 buses over 40 miles and Mr. Anderson was still in charge. The company did issue fare tokens.
METRO TRANSIT (Seattle, Washington) See KING COUNTY METRO.
METROBUS The Metrobus system provides service throughout Miami-Dade County 365 days a year. Service is available from Miami Beach and Key Biscayne to West Miami-Dade, as far north as Broward County and as far south as Homestead, Florida City and the Middle Keys. Designed to intersect with Metrorail and Metromover, MDT’s bus system serves all major shopping, entertainment and cultural centers, as well as major hospitals and schools. More than 95 Metrobus routes travel approximately 29 million miles per year using more than 800 buses. The badge was made by Blackinton and has one threaded post.
METROLINK is a light rail line operated by the Bi-State Development Agency providing public transit in the St. Louis, Missouri, region. BSDA began construction of the MetroLink light-rail system in 1990. Three years later, on July 31, 1993, MetroLink debuted its services with a three-day, fare-free introduction to the St. Louis region. Everyone had an opportunity to take a ride on the first light-rail system in the St. Louis region. It connected 16 stations positioned along 14 miles of track from St. Louis County in Missouri to St. Clair County in Illinois.
Metropolitan Motor Coach Co., ran in 1927 in Chicago, III.
METROPOLITAN COACH LINES, INC. The following info is gleaned from Wikepedia and the Electrical Railway Historical Association of Southern California: “Typical of transit systems in the postwar years, Pacific Electric’s operating costs rose faster than its revenue in spite of frequent fare increases. One evident answer was to find a buyer for PE’s passenger service. On March 3, 1 1953, PE announced an agreement to sell its passenger operations, both rail and bus, to Jesse Haugh. Haugh was a former executive of Pacific City Lines, which together with National City Lines, acquired local streetcar systems across the country with the intention of shutting them down and converting them to bus operation in what became known as the “Great American Streetcar Scandal.” Haugh incorporated Metropolitan Coach Lines (Metro) in California on May 18, 1953 and bought what was left of Pacific Electric’s operations. “The sale was completed on October 1, 1953, with PE’s entire passenger operating rights and all facilities and property related to the bus lines being turned over to Metropolitan Coach Lines. These included the Pasadena, Ocean Park and West Hollywood garages, Macy Street shops, servicing and storage locations at Van Nuys, Sunland, Long Beach (Morgan Avenue) and Echo Park Avenue, stations at Pomona, Riverside and Whittier, and 695 buses.” That was the end of Pacific Electric’s famous Red Cars! Metropolitan Coach Lines was sold to Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority (the first MTA) in 1958. (For more info on National City Lines, and the Great American Streetcar Scandal, see the entry on this webpage. More info on Metropolitan Coach Lines is available at this link: Electrical Railway Historical Association of Southern California.) The Metro badge is made of nickel with green inlaid glass, measures approx. 4″ and has a single threaded post; it has several hallmarks, but as yet they are unidentified.
METRO TRANSIT This badge has not been identified. There are a number of Metro Transit, or Metropolitan Transit bus companies in US history, some of which are still in operation. We need help identifying this badge. It is made of enameled nickel-plated metal with a single threaded post and measures 2 ⅛” tall.
METROPOLITAN TRANSIT I’m told this is the Metropolitan Transit Authority in Boston (MTA) 1947-1964 . With all the “Metropolitan Transit” companies in US history, I’m not sure if this is correct; however, several knowledgeable transit collectors have identified it as such. The badge measures approx. 2 ⅞” x 2 ⅛”. It has no maker’s name, but is hallmarked for GREENDUCK CO. CHI. (There is a red variety of this badge marked “INSPECTOR”. I’m not sure if other varieties exist.)
METROPOLITAN TRANSIT AUTHORITY / MTA See Los Angeles Metropolitan Transit Authority.
METROPOLITAN TRANSIT AUTHORITY / MTA In 1960, the Dade County [Florida] Commission passed an ordinance creating the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) to unify the area’s different transit operations into one countywide service. This ordinance provided for the purchase, development, and operation of an adequate mass transit system by the county. These companies included the Miami Transit Company, Miami Beach Railway Company, South Miami Coach Lines, and Keys Transit Company on Key Biscayne and would be managed by National City Management Company. Over the years and under various administrations, MTA evolved into the Metro-Dade Transportation Administration, the Metro-Dade Transit Agency, the Miami-Dade Transit Agency, and is now known simply as Miami-Dade Transit (MDT). The badge was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY, and has a single threaded post.
METROPOLITAN TRANSIT AUTHORITY In 1947 the Massachusetts State Legislature established the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA), which purchased and took over subway, elevated, streetcar, and bus operations from the Boston Elevated Railway in Boston, Massachusetts. The original MTA district consisted of 14 cities and towns — Arlington, Belmont, Boston, Brookline, Cambridge, Chelsea, Everett, Malden, Medford, Milton, Newton, Revere, Somerville, and Watertown. The last two streetcar lines running into the Pleasant Street Portal of the Tremont Street Subway were replaced with buses in 1953 and 1962. The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) was formed on August 3, 1964 and took over operations from the Metropolitan Transit Authority. The below is probably nickel-plated brass, is die pressed, and has a pin & clasp. It measures approx. 3 ⅛” x 2 ⅛”. (Note: some of the badges have hallmarks near the clasp that often appear on GREENDUCK CO. CHI. badges.)
METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY / MTA is a public benefit corporation responsible for public transportation in New York, serving twelve counties in Downstate New York, along with two counties in southwestern Connecticut under contract to the Connecticut Department of Transportation. As part of establishing a common corporate identity, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in 1994 assigned popular names to each of its subsidiaries and affiliates. The New York City Transit Authority is now known popularly as MTA New York City Transit (NYCT), (or more specifically on the vehicles, MTA New York City Bus and MTA New York City Subway), though the former remains its legal name for documents and contracts.
There are two different designs for badges, both with one threaded post and one pin post. One was made by casting and the other by die press.
METROPOLITAN TRANSIT COMMISSION / MTC was established by the Minnesota State Legislature in 1967. MTC’s operations were moved under the auspices of the Metropolitan Council in 1994, prompting a name change to “Metropolitan Council Transit Operations” and then, in 1998, to Metro Transit. (NOTE: NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT AGENCY. MORE INFO NEEDED!)
METROPOLITAN TRANSIT CORPORATION In 1965 the privately-owned Overlake Transit System acquired Greyhound’s suburban service to Tacoma, Everett, Auburn and Kent, Washington, and created a new company named Metropolitan Transit Corporation. By the early 1970s the Metropolitan Transit faced bankruptcy because of low ridership. In 1973 Seattle’s Metro Transit was formed, merging the Seattle Transit System and Metropolitan Transit Corporation into a county wide transit agency. I’m not sure about this badge. The badge has two threaded posts and was made by Greenduck Co. Chicago. (See Overlake Transit System, Seattle Transit System and King County Metro for more information.)
METROPOLITAN TRANSIT, INC. See Intertown Suburban Lines, Corporation.
MIAMI BEACH RAILWAY CO. COACH DIVISION A timeline of the company is thus: 1919
Carl Fisher and other investors formed the Miami Beach Electric Company and the Miami Beach Railway Co. 1920 Miami Beach Railway Co. began operating a single line linking downtown Miami and south Miami Beach, Flordia, via the County Causeway. 1921 Miami Traction Co. closed down after fire wiped out its fleet. The City of Miami agreed to buy the franchise of the defunct Miami Traction Co., ordering eight single-truck Birney streetcars. The city leased the operation to the Miami Beach Railway Co. 1939 A second attempt to have the public approve a new unified transit franchise was successful. October 17: Miami Beach Railway abandoned its three streetcars in favor of 15 new “twins.” This company continued as a subsidiary of Florida Power and Light until it was sold to William D. Pawley in 1941. Miami Beach became a military training base during World War II. Miami discontinued using its streetcars. The city granted an exclusive franchise to Miami Transit Company. 1940 November 14: George B. Dunn, using the name Miami Transit Co., took over the city-owned lines and merged Dunn Bus Service into the combined operation, resulting in a fleet of 208 buses (half of them new Macks) covering 193 route miles. November 16: Miami’s trolley cars rolled for the last time. 1941 Miami Beach Railway was purchased by William D. Pawley, thus increasing the local bus fleet from 18 to 43 buses. 1960 The County Commission passed an ordinance creating the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) to unify the different transit operations into one countywide service. This ordinance provided for the purchase, development, and operation of an adequate mass transit system by the County. These companies included the Miami Transit Company, Miami Beach Railway Company, South Miami Coach Lines, and Keys Transit Company on Key Biscayne and would be managed by National City Management Co. The badge is a pin back.
MIAMI TRANSIT COMPANY was a privately owned bus service, serving Miami, Florida, from 1940 through 1962. 1940: George B. Dunn, using the name Miami Transit Co., took over the city-owned lines and merged Dunn Bus Service into the combined operation, resulting in a fleet of 208 buses (half of them new Macks) covering 193 route miles. 1960: The County Commission passed an ordinance creating the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) to unify the different transit operations into one countywide service. This ordinance provided for the purchase, development, and operation of an adequate mass transit system by the County. These companies included the Miami Transit Company, Miami Beach Railway Company, South Miami Coach Lines, and Keys Transit Company on Key Biscayne and would be managed by National City Management Co. The badge has a single threaded post.
MIAMI SHORES BUS LINES COMPANY was doing business in Dayton, Ohio in 1956.
MIAMI VALLEY BUS LINES, INC. ran a bus service from Dayton, Ohio, to Brookville/Trotwood, Spinning Hills, Page Manor and Xenia, Ohio. It was incorporated in Jan. 1955 and was running in 1975. The badge is made of nickel-plated metal and has a single threaded post.
MICHAUD’S BUS LINE, INC. / MICHAUD BUS LINE This company was founded in the early 1920s by Eudger Joseph “Mike” (b. 1887) and Marie Michaud (1895-1984) and operated one route in Salem, Massachusetts, on Jefferson Avenue. After the sudden death of Eudger Michaud in May 1942, the company was taken over by his son-in-law, Commander Joseph Alexander Michaud (USN). (Alexander Michaud was married to Eudger and Marie’s daughter, Dorothy Bernice Mauchad and was presumably a cousin.) One of the few public records I have found for this company is this notice in the Federal Register of the National Archives for December 22, 1954: “Michaud’s Bus Line, Inc. 250 Jefferson Avenue, Salem, Mass. For authority to operate as a common carrier, over irregular routes, transporting: Passengers and their baggage, in round-trip special operations, beginning and ending at Salem, Gloucester, Essex, Ipswich, Manchester, Beverly, Marblehead, Lynn, Swampscott, Peabody, Danvers and Middletown, Mass., and extending to Hampton Beach, Nashua, Hudson, Derry, Pelham, Salem, Canobie Lake, Manchester, and Portsmouth, N. H., and Central Falls and Pawtucket, R. I.” In 1954 the company operated 18 buses over 19.5 route miles. From 1965 to 1972 the company operated commuter routes from Boston to Haverhill and Newburyport. In 1970 the company bought out Appleyard Bus Lines., which had bought out Massachusetts Northeastern Transportation Company in 1965. In 1974 Michaud’s Bus Line, Inc. was taken over by the publicly owned Merrimac Valley Regional Transit Authority. Eventually its routes were taken over by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.
MID AMERICA COACH LINES, INC. was a charter/tour bus company running in the late 1960s and into the 1970s. There is little information available. One source lists the company’s address as South Holland, Illinois, while a 1970 newspaper article reporting on a bus accident involving a company bus, states it was located in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
MID-AMERICAN COACHES To give some background info on this company, I quote from emissourian.com: “It was April 1927 when John Calvin, owner of the Calvin Theater in downtown Washington [Missouri], hired Burt Simms to be manager of the Washington Bus Line. Calvin was president of the new company, and Simms served as manager, ticket agent and driver. The company, which began with just one bus, was in direct competition with MoPac (Missouri Pacific Railroad) which also offered daily passenger service between Washington [Missouri] and St. Louis. . . . Calvin sold the company to Simms, who added more buses to the fleet, more times to the schedule and one more destination — Union. He changed the company name to reflect the addition: Washington, Union, St. Louis Bus Company.” The company changed hands 1950s when Ralph Jones bought the operation. In 1960 Jones purchased Louisiana Motor Coaches, which had interstate operating authority, and combined it with his Washington, Union, St. Louis Bus Company. It was renamed Mid-American Coaches. Today, his sons, Roger and Dennis Jones, run Mid-American Coaches as president and vice president.
MID-CONTINENT COACHES, INC. / MID CONTINENT TRAILWAYS So far I have no info on this company’s founding, or date but it was established in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. It incorporated on June 14, 1940, and joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1946 where it remained until 1954. By 1954 the company owned/controlled Rainbow Coaches and Southwest Coaches and served Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Colorado with 150 buses over 1620 route miles. From 1954-1977 it was affiliated with Oklahoma Transportation Company, which ran from Oklahoma City to Dallas, Texas and to Fort Smith, Arkansas. In 1977 Mid-Continent Coaches and Southwest Coaches absorbed Oklahoma Transportation Company.
MID-ISLAND TRANSIT was the former Star Bus, which changed its name in 1966; later Mid-Island Transit was taken over by Stage Coach Lines. All these companies ran on Long Island, New York.
MIDDLEBURY BUS LINE was established in the 1920s in Middlebury, Indiana. In 1923 Branston Shoup bought the line, which consisted of a single five-passenger Model T touring car. The route was between the towns of Middlebury and Goshen, Indiana. By 1954 the company was running 6 buses over 31 route miles. In 1953, John and Margaret Shoup took over the company and incorporated as Shoup Buses, Inc. and at the same time began a charter bus service as Cardinal Buses, Inc. By 1956 Cardinal Buses were running 2 buses over 72 route miles and Shoup Buses were running 6 buses over 75 route miles. In 1998, the Shoup group of companies sold to a national consolidation company. In 2001, the Shoup family bought back Cardinal Buses to run charter bus service from the Indiana and Michigan regions to locations throughout the US and Canada. It is still in operation with 56 coaches.
MIDDLESBORO LAFOLLETTE LINES was a bus company running between Middlesboro, Ky., and Lafollette, Tenn. The company shared the Greyhound Bus terminal in Middlesboro in 1948 and was still running in the 1950s and 1960s.
M & B ST. RY. CO. MIDDLESEX & BOSTON STREET RAILWAY was a streetcar and later bus company in the area west of Boston MA. Streetcars were replaced in 1931 by buses; the company lasted until 1972. The badge is die pressed, single threaded post and measures 2 ½”.
MIDLAND TRAIL TRANSIT COMPANY was formed in 1924 by Arthur Hill, who bought out White Transportation Company and Huntington-Charleston Motor Bus Company. The company ran between Charleston and Huntington, West Virginia. In May 1927 Hill incorporated the Blue and Gray Transit Company in Charleston, W.V. in order to buy his own Midland Trail Transit and several other bus companies.
MIDWAY BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Lexington, North Carolina. It ran from Winston-Salem to Lexington.
MIDWEST BUS LINES, INC. / MIDWEST BUSLINES, INC. / MIDWEST TRAILWAYS In 1955 Missouri Pacific Railroad sold its bus subsidiary, Missouri Pacific Bus Lines and a new company, Midwest Bus Lines, Inc. / Midwest Buslines, Inc. was formed to purchase the company. The new company joined (or rejoined, since Missouri Pacific Bus Lines had been a member), the National Trailways Bus System as Midwest Trailways. The president of the new company was Trammell Crowe of Little Rock, Arkansas. (Of interest is that the company is not listed in any edition of Russell’s Guide or MTD from the late 1950s, with the exception of the 1957 MTD, which lists only one Midwest Bus Lines, and that was for was a Midwest Bus Lines operating out of Dickinson, North Dakota, with one bus and was owned by Alex Beaudon operating over 64 route miles.) The company was sold in 1960 to Maurice E. Moore’s Transcontinental Bus System / Continental Trailways. After that, the company had some claim to fame when one of its buses, carrying five Freedom Riders on route to Houston, Texas, pulled into the Little Rock, Arkansas Midwest Trailways Depot on July 10, 1961, and was met by a crowd of some 400 protesters. The company was still operating as part of the Trailways system in 1981.
MIDWEST TRANSIT COMPANY operated out of Lebanon, Indiana in the 1920s. The February 26, 1926, edition of the Indianapolis News from Indianapolis, Indiana noted the company’s financial trouble: “The Midwest Transit Company, which operates a bus between Indianapolis and West Lafayette, appealed to the [Indiana] public service commission Thursday afternoon for an increased fare schedule. The petition said the rates are inadequate to meet the operating expenses.” Whatever the outcome of that petition, a few months later the company had another petition before the Indiana Public Service Commission. The May 1, 1926, edition of the Electric Railway Journal explains: “Transfer to Traction Control Expected. — Transfer of a bus line from private ownership to traction control is forecast with a petition by the Midwest Transit Company, operating between Indianapolis and Lafayette, asking the Indiana Public Service Commission to permit the Indiana Motor Transit Company, the bus division of the Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Company, to take over its bus permit. The Mid-West company was the Red, White and Blue Line.”
MIDWEST TRANSIT LINES Organized on Sept. 9, 1890, the Ames Street Railway Company (Ames, Iowa,) started to solicit subscriptions to finance the two-mile line. The line was electrified after the Fort Dodge, Des Moines & Southern Railroad (FDDM&S) acquired the company in May 1906. On April 21, 1925, the Ames City Council finally approved an increase in streetcar fares from 5 cents to 7 cents. Ticket prices increased from 25 for $1 to 17 for $1. At the same time, the FDDM&S announced it was buying four buses for use in Ames. The buses were bought to operate between the Fourth Ward (campus-town area) and downtown. The buses were built by either Reo or Graham. The bus garage was located at 1003 Second St.
Feb. 24, 1931: Interstate Transit Lines was given permission to operate city bus line for month of March from FDDM&S special city council meeting April 1, 1930 to April 1, 1931, permit dates. 1931-1944: Interstate Transit Lines started operating buses in Ames. The company ran one route with two buses on 20-minute schedules from 6:20 a.m. until midnight. Interstate Transit Lines was a part of Union Pacific Stages, which was a subsidiary of Union Pacific Railroad. In 1943, Interstate Transit Lines and Union Pacific Stages began operating under the name of Overland Greyhound Lines. (On October 1, 1952, The Greyhound Corporation bought out Interstate Transit Lines and Union Pacific Stages for cash and stock. Both companies were liquidated and their assets were absorbed by Overland Greyhound Lines.) The Ames, Iowa, operation was sold on September 15, 1944, to Robert Walker of Keokuk. Walker changed the name of the company to Midwest Transit Lines. Walker also owned bus companies in Keokuk, Muscatine and Fort Madison.
Sept. 5, 1950: Midwest Transit Line buses were operating at a 20-minute interval from 6:08 a.m. until 11:55 p.m., including Sundays and holidays. Special campus buses via Sixth and 13th streets began operation on Sept. 25, 1950.
1952: George Fenell bought Midwest Transit Lines and changed the name to Midwest Transportation Inc. At that time, Midwest Transportation took over the school routes. Before this happened, the school furnished its own buses and drivers. Bob Killam started at Midwest Transit Lines on July 15, 1966, as general manager. In 1972, Killam bought the business from George Fenell. In 1976 the City of Ames took over public transportation as CyRide, which is a partnership between Iowa State University, the ISU Student Government, and the City of Ames. CyRide provides public transportation to the community throughout the city of Ames. (Information from the Iowa Dept. of Transportation.)
The badge is nickel-plated metal with one threaded posts. It was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO.
MIDWEST TRANSPORTATION, INC. Bob Killam, who had been Midwest Transportation’s general manager, bought Midwest Transit Lines in 1972 from George Fenell. He changed the name to Midwest Transportation, Inc. The company ran buses in Ames, Iowa, until 1976 when it was taken over by the city of Ames.
W. R. MILES STAGE LINES was owned by W.R Miles and was operating in the mid 1920s out of Fresno, California. It ran between Fresno and Huntington Lake, connecting with the California Transit Company at the former point. The company was sold in 1930 to the San Joaquin & Eastern Railroad for $35,000.
MILLARD CANYON BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Pasadena, California. C.F. Massie was the registered contact.
MILLER STAGE LINE was operating in 1923 from Baker, Oregon to Boise, Idaho, over an 83-mile route.
R. MILLER STAGE LINE / MARTINEZ CONCORD AUTOMOBILE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Martinez, California. R. Miller was the owner.
MILLIGAN BUS SERVICE was a company running in 1926 in Clarks Hill, Indiana. There is no further information.
MILLS STAGE LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of San Diego, California. H. G. Mills was the owner / operator.
MILLSTADT & BELLEVILLE BUS LINE was operating a service between Millstadt and Belleville, Illinois, in the early-mid 1920s.
THE MILWAUKEE ELECTRIC RAILWAY & TRANSPORT COMPANY (TMERL). (SEE THE TRANSPORT COMPANY)
MILWAUKEE RAPID TRANSIT AND SPEEDRAIL COMPANY (SEE THE TRANSPORT CO.)
THE MILWAUKEE STREET RAILWAY COMPANY (SEE THE TRANSPORT CO.)
THE MILWAUKEE & SUBURBAN TRANSPORT CORPORATION (SEE THE TRANSPORT CO.)
M. S. ST. RY. CO. Supposedly the MINERAL SPRINGS ST. RY. CO. I’m not sure if this is the right name. The only Internet entry I find for this company is for the Sterling, Rock Falls & Mineral Springs Street Railway Company in Sterling, Illinois, for 1888. The badge is oval shaped and measures 2″ x 1 ⅜”; it is hallmark “R. Woodman, Mf’r, Boston, Mass.” and has a pinback.
MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL MOTOR BUS COMPANY was operating in 1926 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. In 1925 it was bought out by the Twin City Rapid Transit Company.
MISSALA STAGES, INC. / MISSALA TRIALWAYS Missala Stages was listed in the 1939 Russell’s Guide as operating out of Oakman, Alabama, with J. H. Deason as the owner. The route was from Birmingham to Jasper to Sulligent, Alabama. Obviously the company name is made of a conjunction of Mississippi and Alabama. By 1943 the company had moved its headquarters to Jasper, Alabama. The company was incorporated on May 25, 1946, in Jasper, Alabama, by Mr. & Mrs. James H. Deason and R. Foster Deason. By 1948 the company was running to New Albany, Mississippi. It joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1949 and remained until 1951. In 1954 the company was operating 18 buses over 916 route miles. In later years Wesley W. Meeks was president and CEO of the MissAla Stages, Inc. Missala Stages, Inc. operated until 1970.
MISSISSIPPI CITY LINE (See Municipal Transit Lines.)
MISSOURI-ARKANSAS COACH LINES was an intercity bus company operating in the 1930s-1940s. It operated out of Springfield, Missouri, into Memphis, Tennessee. In Memphis it operated out of a terminal at 170 Monroe St.
MISSOURI, KANSAS & OKLAHOMA TRANSIT LINES took over from Tulsa City Lines running buses in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1957. It ran until 1968.
MISSOURI KANSAS & OKLAHOMA COACH LINES / M.K. & O. COACH LINES (Also known as Missouri, Kansas & Oklahoma Trailways) In 1928, Howard W. Allen incorporated his fledgling bus line, Allen’s Auto Stage, as Missouri, Kansas & Oklahoma Coach Lines, Inc. That small bus operation grew to become a regional intercity carrier serving the nation’s mid-section in both regular route and charter bus operations. From 1937 until 1953 it was part of the Trailways System as M. K. & O. Trailways. Diversification efforts in the early 1970’s established the company in the commercial real estate business under the name of Venture Properties. Eventually the company divested itself of the transit business. Here’s a notice that was published on May 3, 2011: “OKLAHOMA CITY – Downtown’s Union Bus Station could close as early as this fall after serving as a hub for travelers for more than 70 years. A cafeteria that was once part of the bus station was shuttered a few years ago, but the terminal still bustled with passengers waiting for connecting buses one recent weekday morning. Early bus industry pioneer Howard W. Allen built the Union Bus Station as a hub for his regional intercity bus company called Missouri, Kansas & Oklahoma Coach Lines.” The below bus badge appears to be a later issue. I would guess there are older, different style badges out there.
MISSOURI PACIFIC BUS LINES / MISSOURI PACIFIC TRAILWAYS (MOP) was formed in 1928 as bus subsidiary of Missouri Pacific Railroad. In 1936 the company joined Trailways; in 1948 it resumed independent operation and was sold in 1957 to Midwest Bus Lines, which was also a Trailways member. In 1960 it was sold to Transcontinental Bus System/Continental Trailways.
MISSOURI TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was an intercity/interstate company serving Missouri and headquartered in Macon, Missouri. It was organized in June 1925 with ten stockholders, including Ira Cook and Percy W. Fletcher. Ira Cook was elected president and general manager. Their first bus, purchased at a cost of about $5, 000, was a 21-passenger Reo. In circa 1928 Percy W. Fletcher acquired the majority of the company’s stock and was elected President and General Manager. He remained in this position until failing health forced him to sell off his interests. (Percy William “Willie” Fletcher was born 17 Jan 1889 and died 6 Oct 1968 and is buried in McDonald County, Missouri.) In 1956 the company was running 21 buses over 798 route miles. The operating rights and franchises of Missouri Transit Company Inc., were acquired in January 1961 by Nels J. Koch of Des Moines, Iowa, and the name was changed to Missouri Transit Lines Inc.
MISSOURI TRANSIT LINES, INC. was so named when Nels J. Koch of Des Moines, Iowa bought out Missouri Transit Company, Inc. of Macon, Missouri, in January 1961. Koch served as president and general manager of the company. In 1981 the company was running 25 buses intercity/interstate out of Moberly, Missouri.
MOBILE CITY LINES, INC. In 1893 Mobile’s first electric street car line begins operation by the Electric Railway Company under president J. Howard Wilson. By 1939 the Mobile Light & Railroad Company was providing transit service to Mobile, Alabama. By then the city’s street railway system had expanded to include 50 route miles. At this time, a few buses were being operated as well as the electric street car, with an agreement between Mr. Wilson and the City that the replacement of street cars by buses would happen gradually. Despite this agreement, The National City Lines acquired a controlling interest in the Mobile Light & Railway Co. after Mr. Wilson’s death and quickly replaced all street cars with buses. (Info from Flotte’s Notes on Mobile, Alabama History.) In 1956 the company was operating 122 buses over 203 route miles. The company lasted until March 5, 1971, after which the City of Mobile took over bus operations under the direction of the Mobile Transit Authority, or Mobile Transit District. It closed down in 1995. As to the badge pictured below, it was issued after the City of Mobile took over bus operations in 1971. (It has the look of other bus company badges owned by National City Lines, and may have been made by Greenduck Co. Chicago.) The badge has two threaded posts, is made of metal and measures approx. 2½” x 2½”. (Note: with the numerals “00” this badge may have never been issued and may have been a prototype.)
MODEM BUS COMPANY ran in 1927 in Caldwell, New Jersey.
MODERN COACH CORPORATION / MODERN TRAILWAYS See Ader Coach Lines, Inc.
MODERN BUS LINES, INC. began operating in 1919 in Needham, Massachusetts. In 1946 the company served Needham, Wellesley and Boston with 7 buses over 16.8 route miles. Paul T. Babson was the president. According to one webpage, it was replaced by Boston Worcester & New York Street Railway Company. However, the last year operated is often given as 1944 whereas the MTD shows the company still in operation in 1946.
MODESTO-La GRANGE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Modesto, California. B.L. Halverson was the owner, and E.H. Bartlett was the manager.
MODESTO-NEWMAN AUTO STAGE LINE was operating out of Patterson, California, in the mid 1920s. J.P. Smith was the registered contact.
MODESTO-OAKDALE AUTO STAGE was operating out of Modesto, California, in the mid 1920s. George Weisner and E.R. Michael were the registered contacts.
MOHAWK COACH LINES, INC. was operating in the early 1930s in New York. Its original route ran from New York City to Poughkeepsie. In 1946 the company was headquartered in Beacon, New York. By 1954 the company was headquartered in Little Ferry, New Jersey, and running 10 buses over 170 route miles. It served New York City to Hyde Park, New York. The company was still running in the 1970s. One source says the company ceased operations in 1981.
MOHAWK STAGE LINE was operating in 1923 from Eugene to Mabel, Oregon, over an 18-mile route.
MOHAWK STAGE LINES CORP. was an intercity bus company operating in the early 1920s out of Chicago, Illinois, serving northern Illinois. In 1927 the company was purchased (along with Royal Rapid Transit Company and Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines) by Motor Transit Company (which would shortly be renamed The Greyhound Corporation) and operated as a subsidiary. In 1929 the company acquired routes from Northern Illinois Service Company.
MOHAWK VALLEY TRANSIT, INC. appears in April 1956 when it took over Vollmer Bus Lines providing bus service in Amsterdam, New York. An article about Vollmer Bus Lines states that Mohawk Valley Transit was a “Utica firm, headed by Wallace Sweet.” The president of Mohawk Valley Transit was Harrison S. Sweet (Wallace Sweet was secretary), who also headed Central New York Coach lines, Inc. out of Utica, New York. An article, “Focus on History: Amsterdam bus lines compete”, in the December 4, 2010, The Daily Gazette, from Schenectady, New York, recalls: “A Utica-based company, Mohawk Valley Transit, absorbed both Vollmer and F.J. &G.’s bus operations in 1956. The newspaper account noted it was the first time in 30 years that local public transportation would be provided by one company. The head of Vollmer, now Katherine Vollmer Sann of Albany, said her company had lost $47,000 from 1951 to 1956. Mohawk Valley Transit’s April 1956 takeover of Vollmer was seen as a surprise. The Utica firm, headed by Wallace Sweet, had started managing F.J. &G.’s bus runs in an expected move two months earlier. Sweet’s company also operated Central New York Coach Lines. Vollmer’s superintendent for nine years, Benjamin Bartholomew, stayed on as Mohawk Valley Transit’s manager in Amsterdam, Johnstown and Gloversville. Before coming to Amsterdam, Bartholomew had worked for the Greyhound bus line.”
In a February 7, 1970, a company spokesman announced that Mohawk Valley Transit could no longer meet it financial obligations: “. . . plagued by declining numbers of riders and aged vehicles, [the spokesman] has told city officials that [the company] can’t afford to pay its insurance.” Shortly thereafter, Mohawk Valley Transit folded. In April 1971 the state provided funds to set up a new transit system. Today, the City of Amsterdam Transit System provides bus service for the area.
MOKELUMNE HILL AUTO STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Mokelumne Hill, California. C.E. Stewart was the registered contact.
MONROE BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1940s transporting passengers from Charlotte, North Carolina, to the National Carbon Company plant. The company was owned by Sam. C. Winchester of Monroe, North Carolina.
MONROEVILLE BUS COMPANY / COLONIAL TRAILWYS was incorporated in Alabama on August of 1935. Its original route started from Selma, Alabama, and ran southwest through Monroeville and Atmore to Mobile. In 1941 Avery Austin Crow, who owned Capital Motor Lines / Capital Trailways, acquired the Monroeville Bus Company. “While Capital and Monroeville shared ownership, management and even office space over the years, the two companies are still operated separately and were never merged. Expansion after the War included the purchase of Central Alabama Coaches from G.E. Guthrie in 1950. Capital Trailways took over this route from Butler to Selma on April 5, 1950 and extended through bus service into Montgomery. In November of 1950, Monroeville Bus Company filed for operating authority between New Orleans, Louisiana and Pensacola, Florida via Mobile, Alabama, the southern terminal of its original route. Two years later, in March of 1952, the corporate office of Monroeville Bus Company was moved from Monroeville to Montgomery. At this same time the corporate name was changed to Colonial Trailways. Capital Trailways and Colonial Trailways would share management and office space.” (Information from the National Bus Trader / August, 2008, article “Capital Trailways and Colonial Trailways” by Larry Plachno.) See Capital Trailways for more information.
MONTEBELLO MUNICIPAL BUS LINES In 1922, two years after the incorporation of the City of Montebello, California, the city officially initiated a municipal bus service. In 1928 the city sold the operation to the Motor Transit Company, a division of Southern Pacific Railroad. Motor Transit later became Pacific Electric, operators of the famed “red cars.” In 1931 the City purchased the lines back from the Motor Transit Company and launched it again as Montebello Municipal Bus Lines. It still runs and serves the communities of Alhambra, Bell Gardens, Boyle Heights, Commerce, Downtown Los Angeles, East Los Angeles, La Mirada, Montebello, Monterey Park, Pico Rivera, Rosemead, San Marino, South Gate, South San Gabriel, and Whittier, California.
MONTEREY-BIG-SUR AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Monterey, California. F.M. Littlefield was the registered contact.
MONTEREY-CARMEL BUS LINE was formed by June 1917 by C.O. Goold. The line operated in Monterey and Carmel-by-the-Sea, California. (Goold also ran a livery stable and rented out wagons, buggies “and good sadle horses“; included in his service were “good cars with efficient drivers to go anywhere“.) His office was located at Carmel-by-the-Sea. By 1922 it was competing with Bay Rapid Transit, which ran the Del Monte-Monterey-Pacific Grove bus line. In 1927 Bay Rapid Transit acquired the Monterey-Carmel Bus Line.
MONTEREY & SALINAS AUTO SERVICE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Monterey, California. The registered contacts were Carpenter and Littlefield.
MONTFORD’S COVE BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1940s out of Rutherford County, North Carolina via Sugar Hill to Marion.
MONTICELLO STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Monticello, California. G.F. Gardner was the registered contact.
MONTGOMERY BUS COMPANY, INC. This history of this company is tied to that of the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company. In 1911 the management of the PRT was taken over by Thomas E. Mitten, who would expand the company with a series of subsidiaries. On June 25, 1923 Philadelphia Rural Transit Company was formed by PRT to operate buses in the city and into the suburbs of Philadelphia. Interurban bus service between New York and Philadelphia was begun by the Peoples Rapid Transit Company in 1924 and later extended to Washington, D.C. and Atlantic City. Mitten’s further expansions are noted in the March 3 1928, issue of the Electric Railway Journal: “The Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company, Philadelphia, Pa., has agreed to pay $1,825,000 for the Quaker Cab Company and three suburban bus lines. This was disclosed in a petition filed by the railway with the Public Service Commission for approval of the purchase of the four carriers. The proposed deal includes the purchase of 5,000 shares of the outstanding stock in the Quaker City Cabs, Inc.; 4,510 shares of the Montgomery Bus Company, Inc.; 1,000 shares of the Philadelphia Suburban Transit Company, and 200 shares of the Doylestown & Easton Motorcoach.”
The Montgomery Bus Company and the Philadelphia Suburban Transit Company extended bus service into the western suburbs previously the exclusive preserve of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The Peoples Rapid Transit continued operations until December, 1929, when it was sold to the Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines. It was Thomas Mitten’s shady management practices that had forced the sale of the company. Indeed, on April 11, 1931, after the death of Thomas E. Mitten and the revelations of diversion of funds and accounting irregularities, Judge Harry S. McDevitt appointed trustees to manage the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company. In November of that year the same judge issued a final judgement against Mitten Management, Inc. attaching Thomas E. Mitten’s entire estate for the benefit of Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company. (Information from “The history of bus transportation between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland” by John M. Kemper, and A General Chronology of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company Its Predecessors and Successors and Its Historical Context, by Christopher T. Baer, 1931.)
The Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines, which owned the entire capital stock of the Montgomery Bus Company and the Peoples Rapid Transit Company, continued operating the companies under their own names. Peoples Rapid Transit Company was still operating in 1939, when its schedules are shown in Russell’s Official National Motor Coach Guide.
MONTGOMERY CITY LINES ran in Montgomery, Alabama, and was owned by National City Lines, which took over operations from Alabama Power Company in 1936. The company is famous for being at the center of a U.S. Supreme Court case stemming from the 1955 incident involving Rosa Parks, who refused to give up her seat on a MCL bus. In 1956 the court banned bus segregation. MCL ran until 1974. There are two varieties of badges: one has raised/recessed lettering, the other has flush lettering. Both are made of nickel-plated brass with enamel, has two threaded posts, measures approx. 2 ¾” x 2 ½” and was made by GREENDUCK CO. CHI. (Some badges are not marked.)
MONTREAL TRANSIT CORPORATION / Société de transport de Montréal (STM) See entry for Société de Transport de la Communauté Urbaine De Montréal (STCUM).
MONTROSE AUTO STAGE & TAXI COMPANY was operating in the early-mid 1920s out of Montrose, Colorado.
MOORE BROS. TRANSPORTATION COMPANY See Consolidated Bus Lines, Inc. High Point, North Carolina.
MOORE BUS LINES was running in the early 1950s in Egremont Township, Ontario, and is still in business.
MOORESVILLE-KANNAPOLIS BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Mooresville, North Carolina. It was owned by J.M. Washam and ran from Mooresville to Kannapolis.
Moore Service Inc (TX) 1959
MOSS TRANSPORTATION COMPANY Operated from Ogden, Utah. There is an application on file dated 1954 to “Transport of passengers and their baggage over regular and irregular routes from Box Elder County, Utah to all points and places in the State of Utah and return in charter service only.” The badge has two threaded posts and measures 2⅝” x 2 ½”.
MOTOR COACH COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Lomita, California. H.N. Richards was the president and general manager.
MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY See Aberdeen Motor Transit Company.
MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in 1923 from Rufus to Pendleton, Oregon, over a 113-mile route.
MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY The history of this company begins with Oliver R. “Ollie” Fuller (1880-1946), a Los Angeles, California, automobile and truck dealer. After repossessing two White trucks in 1913, he started his own freight business; in 1917 he purchased P&E (Passenger & Express) Stages, operating from Los Angeles to Anaheim, which he renamed White Bus Line. In 1917 he bought out Truston Clark’s bus line, which operated from L.A. to San Bernardino; on January 24, 1920, he bought the ARG Bus Company, which ran between Los Angeles and San Diego. In 1920 Fuller changed the name of White Bus Line to Motor Transit Company. Also in 1920, Fuller bought out Max and Perry Green’s Mountain Auto Line. That same year Fuller acquired the El Dorado Stage Line, which connected Los Angeles with Bakersfield. (All these companies were subsequently “sold” by Fuller to his Motor Transit Company.) By 1920 Motor Transit Company was the largest intercity bus line in the state of California. That same year Pacific Electric Railway bought a two-thirds interest in the Motor Transit Company, the other third being bought out by The Greyhound Corporation. In 1936 Pacific Electric bought out Greyhound’s interest, and merged the Motor Transit Company Lines into other operations. (As an interesting side note, I quote this from the September 1945 edition of Pacific Electric Magazine‘s article on Motor Transit Company’s history: “At the start of the bus industry in California, approximately 1916, busses were built along the lines of the touring cars of that period. All busses had side curtains that had to be put up and taken down according to weather, and it was not until after 1920 that the use of glass windows in busses, or stages, became standard practice. In 1916, most stages were of five-to-fourteen passenger capacity, some being plain touring cars, others, lengthened-out touring cars, and some with special bus bodies holding 14 passengers.“
MOTOR TRANSIT CORPORATION (MTC) succeeded the Mesaba Transportation Company. It was formed on September 20, 1926, by Eric Wickman and his partners. In 1929 MTC was renamed The Greyhound Corporation. (For more information see the MESABA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY entry on this page; also see “Greyhound Badges” in the drop down menu “Collecting Transit Badges”.
MOTOR TRANSPORTATION COMPANY ran in 1927 in Savannah, Georgia.
MOTOR TRANSPORTATION COMPANY This jitney bus business was founded by L. F. O’Donnell and was operating in March 1915 in Jacksonville, Illinois.
MT. HAMILTON STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of San Jose, California. It ran from San Jose to Mt. Hamilton via Santa Clara. E.T. Roper was the registered contact.
MT. HOOD STAGES, INC. / PACIFIC TRAILWAYS This company was operating in the early 1920s from Portland to Sandy, Oregon, over a 26-mile route. Additional information comes from Jon’s Trailways History Corner. In 1929 Myrl Hoover and William Niskanen were operating Mt. Hood Stages on a regular schedule from Bend, Oregon to connect with Union Pacific passenger trains. By 1931 they had expanded their business by taking over Columbia Gorge Motor Coach Company’s routes running to The Dalles on the Columbia River. (Columbia Gorge Motor Coach was owned by Pickwick Stages, which was later merged with Pacific Greyhound.) A man named Del Mattson, who was running his own bus line from The Dalles to Maupin, joined the enterprise and they incorporated as Mount Hood Stages on May 20, 1931. The company joined the National Trailways Bus System on January 1, 1943, after which it was known as Pacific Trailways, although the corporate name would remain Mount Hood Stages. The company folded in 1988 with Greyhound taking over its routes.
MOUNT HOPE TRANSIT COMPANY I found this information dated July 2, 1952: “The Public Service Commission of West Virginia will hear the application of the undersigned for approval of the transfer and assignment unto Herbert Brown, doing business as Mount Hope Transit, of P.S.C M.C. Certificate No 3864, authorizing operation as a common carrier by motor vehicle in the transportation of employees of the New River Company only between their homes in Fayette and Raleigh Counties and their place of employment at the Lochgelly Mine.” The badge was made by Hookfast and has two threaded posts.
MOUNT LASSEN MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY / MT. LASSEN MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY This company is still operational and, according to its website, was “[e]stablished around the turn of the century with a stage operation serving the mill workers from Westwood to Susanville, Mineral and Red Bluff, Mt. Lassen Motor Transit rapidly expanded with routes in Oregon and Nevada as well as Northern California. Following World War II the bus line saw a marked decrease in service and eventually reverted to one bus route. In 1952 the office officially moved from Susanville to Red Bluff where they are still in operation today.” The website gives no further details. However, the company seems to be one and the same as the Mt. Lassan Transit Company. On page 11 of a report titled Rural Public Transportation Demand from March 1986, published by the Center for Transportation Research The University of Texas at Austin: “. . . the Mt. Lassen Motor Transit Company of Red Bluff, California is an operational postal bus line that has been functioning since 1938. This mail, freight and passenger carrier follows a 110-mile route.” Since the above report states the company had been operating since 1938, this would indicate a name change around that time. NOTE: This company seems to be one and the same as the below entry: Mt. Lassen Transit Company. For more information see the entry below.
MT. LASSEN TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Westwood, California. E.G. Scammon was president, and A.J. Allen was secretary. A license was first issued from the state of California in 1925 and the company seems to have been operating along with Mt. Shasta-McCloud Auto Stage Line. The company was also registered as a business in the state of Nevada, so it’s origins may date to an earlier time. From the book Little Gem of the Cascades: An Administrative History of Lassen Volcanic National Park by Diane L. Krahe and Theodore Catton (University of Montana University of Montana September 2010, p. 75), we find this bit of history: “By the late 1920s, a little over half of American families owned automobiles. With roads being developed and improved to accommodate this burgeoning automobile use, bus companies arose during the decade to transport people over these same highways. One such bus company was the Mt. Lassen Transit Company, which operated buses between Red Bluff and Reno, and made connections with the Southern Pacific and Western Pacific railroads. With its head office in Westwood, California (between Susanville and Chester), the company advertised itself as ‘The Volcanic Highway Line’ and promoted its service to Lassen Volcanic National Park. For several years the bus company took passengers over the rough road from Chester to Drakesbad Guest Ranch. Around 1928, the park administration began issuing an annual concession permit to the company for its transportation service over park roads. With the main park road still under construction, this service was limited to operating a bus each day into Drakesbad and Juniper Lake.” From a 1931 report of the Nevada Public Service Commission, the Mt. Lassen Transit Company was listed as operating 3 buses. The company was operating in the late 1930s and is listed as one of the bus companies serving the Union Stage Depot in Reno, Nevada.
NOTE: This company seems to be one and the same as the previous entry, the Mt. Lassen Motor Transit Company. It may be that the company changed its name in the late 1930s, adding the word “Motor” to its DBA. The WPA Guide to Nevada, which was published in 1940 from information gathered over the preceding several years, we find it listed as one of the bus companies serving the Reno bus station: “Union Stage Depot for Feather River Stage Co., Inland Stages, Mt. Lassen Transit Co., Pacific Greyhound Lines Las Vegas-Tonopah & Reno Stage Lines, Virginia & Truckee Transit Co., Oregon, California & Nevada Company, Reno Loyalton-Calpine Stage, Burlington Trailways, Nevada Transit Co.” On page 11 of a report titled Rural Public Transportation Demand from March 1986, published by the Center for Transportation Research The University of Texas at Austin: “Another for-profit ‘multiple use’ modal option that should be included in the current taxonomy of rural public transportation systems are the ‘postal bus’ transit operations. Although there are very few examples of these systems in the U.S., the Mt. Lassen Motor Transit Company of Red Bluff, California is an operational postal bus line that has been functioning since 1938. This mail, freight and passenger carrier follows a 110-mile route.” Putting these pieces together, when the Mt. Lassen Transit Company disappears from records around 1938, the Mt. Lassen Motor Transit company shows up, which indicates a change in its DBA.
MT. SHASTA-McCLOUD AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in 1925 out of Westwood / Mt. Lassen / Mt. Shasta / Siskiyou County, California. It was somehow connected to the Mt. Lassen Transit Company.
MT. WASHINGTON BUS LINE ran a bus service in Cincinnati, Ohio. They were operating in 1929-1930. No further information.
MT. WILSON STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Pasadena, California. The company ran auto buses from downtown Pasadena to Mt.Wilson via the Mt. Wilson Toll Road. N. A. Webb and F. S. Hendricks were the registered contacts. “Mr. L. L. Whitman of Pasadena who made the ascent in his 1907 Franklin said, ‘Not for five hundred dollar would I make the trip again.’ For those preferring not to drive, there was the popular Mt. Wilson Stage Line.” The company was still operating in the 1930s.
MOUNTAIN AUTO LINE was founded in 1912 by Kirk N. Phillips as a freight business hauling supplies from San Bernardino, California to the local mountain resorts of Skyland, Pine-Crest, Little and Big Bear Valleys and Knight’s Camp on Big Bear. The business soon expanded to include a passenger bus line. In a March 29, 1987 interview published in the San Bernardino Sun, Max Green (soon to be a partner) recalled: “Later Dr. J.N. Baylis, owner of Pinecrest [Lodge], encouraged Kirk N. Phillips of San Bernardino to purchase a truck and haul supplies to his resort. . . . Soon Phillips’ business grew so fast he made my brother and I an offer to help finance the business. We [Perry H. Green and Max H. Green] joined the firm in 1913. Mr. Phillips died the next winter and we took over the entire operation. We began carrying passengers as a favor; hikers and breakdowns wanted to ride on top of our freight loads, so this lead us to adding a cross seat behind the driver that could be bolted on and taken off when we did not have passengers. Soon our ‘passengers’ were demanding something better, so next came 6-cylinder White touring cars, on which we stretched out the frame and built ten and twelve passenger bodies thereon, with doors for each seat.” (These three partners have the distinction of creating the nation’s first intercity bus line west of the Mississippi River. They were recognized by the White Motor Company for this historic first.) In 1915, the company extended their route all the way to Big Bear Lake, transporting as many as 400 passengers a week to its popular campgrounds. In 1920, Max Green sold the business to O.R. Fuller, owner of the White Bus Line, whose name was changed that same year to Motor Transit Company. (Fuller continued using the name “Mountain Auto Line.”) In 1937 Max Green repurchased the Mountain Auto Line and operated it until 1955, when he sold the passenger service to Jack Roesch of Roesch Lines, Inc. (NOTE: since Green continued the freight business, badges bearing the Mountain Auto Line name might also be for the trucking company.)
MOUNTAIN TRANSIT LINES. The Arrowhead Valley Club was located in the mountains outside of San Bernadino, California. (Not to be confused with the Mountain Auto Line.) The badge has two threaded posts.
MOUNTAIN VIEW COACH LINES, INC. was formed in the mid 1910s and ran automobiles (auto-buses) from Coxsakie to Albany, New York. Founded by Henry J. Albright, the company ran its first motorized bus in 1915. A local history tells that when there were more passengers than this bus could carry, Mr. Albright’s wife followed behind in an automobile with the additional passengers. A schedule dated June 30, 1930 gives this route information: Catskill-Albany had stops at Athens, (Hudson by Ferry), Coxsackie, New Baltimore, Coeymans, Selkirk, Cedar Hill; Catskill-Cairo had stops at Round Top, Purling, Leeds, Jefferson, and Dayboat Landing.
In addition to this company, in 1916 Henry Albright also owned and operated Coxsackie & Albany Auto Bus Company, Inc.: “Albany (N.Y.) The following petition was received and ordered filed: To the Honorable, the Common Council of the City of Albany: The petition of Coxsackie and Albany Auto Bus, Inc., respectfully shows: That your petitioner is a domestic corporation created and existing under and by virtue of the Transportation Corporations Law of the State of New York, with its principle business office in the village of Coxsckie, Greene County, New York. . . . That the said motor vehicle or bus line proposes to carry passengers from Coxsackie and intermedite points into the city of Albany and from the city of Albany to Coxsckie nd intermediate points and is not intended to carry local passengers within the city of Albany. Dated Coxsackie, N.Y., February 7, 1916. Coxsackie & Albany Auto Bus, Inc. Henry J. Albright, President.”
Henry Albright died in May, 1956: From the May 14, 1956, edition of The Kingston Daily Freeman from Kingston, New York: “Henry J. Albright, 68, of Coxsackie, retired president of the Mountain View Coach Lines and a vice-president of the Coxsackie National Bank, died Sunday at Albany Hospital after a three- month illness. Born in New Baltimore, he was a lifelong resident of Greene county, and established his business in Coxsackie in 1916. He retired two years ago and his son, Frank Albright, succeeded him as president of the bus line. . . . He is survived by his wife, Frances Bedell Albright; two sons, Frank and Ervine Albright; two brothers and seven grandchildren survive.” (Note: the date given for Mountain View Coach Lines‘ founding differs from a history of Greene County, which suggests a date before 1915.)
According to one source, Mountain View Coach Lines operated until 1987, after which their routes were taken over by Adirondack Trailways. (There are several nice photos on the Net of this company’s early buses, taken in 1930, and a photo of its office in Maxwell House Hotel Saugerties, New York taken about 1940.)
MOUNTAINEER BUS LINE was registered in West Virginia in 1953 and has been inactive since 1973. More information needed. The badge is die pressed, measures 2½” x 2½” and has a single threaded post.
MUNCIE CITY LINES ran in Muncie, Indiana, from 1945 until 1981 when it was taken over by the Muncie Indiana Transit System. The badge measures 2 ⅝” with two threaded posts.
MUNI SF The San Francisco Municipal Railway (SF Muni or Muni) is the public transit system for the city and county of San Francisco, California. Muni is short for the “Municipal” in “San Francisco Municipal Railway” and is not an acronym. The Muni metro is often called “the train” or “the streetcar.” Most San Francisco natives use ‘Muni’ when speaking about the system (Metro & buses) in general. Below is a cloth badge from the 1970s.
MUNICIPAL COACH LINE See North Olmstead Municipal Bus Line.
MUNICIPAL MOTOR BUS CO., INC. ran in 1933 in Queens, New York City, New York, on 92nd-82nd Street.
MUNICIPAL RAILWAY EMPLOYEE This San Francisco badge dates at least 75-80 years ago. Gary Hurn writes: “Issued to Muni Transit System worker / employee badge # 1562 – – In the day this badge would allow MUNI employee’s to ride on the cable cars, trolleys and buses for free anywhere within the city’s railway system.” The badge is a pin back, was made by IRVINE & JACHENS S.F., and measures 2⅛”.
MUNICIPAL TRANSIT LINES, INC. In 1906, Joseph T. Jones, a local entrepreneur helped to found the Gulfport and Mississippi Coast Traction Company. In 1925, Mississippi Power Company abandoned trolleys for buses. The Mississippi City Line ran until 1954 when it was succeeded by Municipal Transit Lines, Inc., which ran until 1969. Before the Municipal Transit Lines, Inc., ceased operation, the Mississippi Coast Transportation Authority was formed, but it did not start transit operations until August 16, 1974. The return of bus service marked the end of a 3-year, 4-month period during which the coastal communities suffered with no transportation system. The system operated under the MCTA name until 1985, when it was changed to Coast Area Transit. The name was again changed in 1992 to Coast Transit Authority. There are two badges for this company. The older one was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO with a single threaded post; not sure if this is the same company since it is a generic badge design used by several companies. Appears to be older than the larger badge. Measures 2 ½ ” x 2 ¾”. The second badge has two threaded posts and was made by GREENDUCK CO. CHI. [Chicago].
MURFREESBORO-LEBANON BUS LINE was operating in 1928 from Murfreesboro to Lebanon, Tennessee.
MURPHY BROTHERS LINE was operating in 1923 from Marshfield to Sunset, Oregon, over a 12-mile route.
MURPHY BUS LINES was a little know short line operating in Berks Co., Pennsylvania. The company was founded in 1935. The badge has a single threaded post and was made by Fifth Avenue Uniform Company Chicago. It measures 2 ⅜” wide x 2 ½” high with red, black, and yellow paint.
MURPHYS & BIG TREE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Murphys, California. (Murphys is an unincorporated village located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains in Calaveras County, California.) Ira L. Flanders was the registered contact.
MURRIETTA MINERAL HOT SPRINGS AUTO STAGE LINE, INC. “2 September 1921 Stage Line Incorporates—K. F. Beyerle, owner of the Murrieta Mineral Hot Springs Auto Stage line, has incorporated under the name of the line and applied to the railroad commission today to transfer his interest to the corporation. The equipment is valued at $41,850. The company operates from Los Angeles to Murrieta Hot Springs and Warner Hot Springs in San Diego County.” The company was still operating in the mid 1920s out of Los Angeles, California.
MUSKEGON CITY COACH LINES was acquired by City Coach Lines, Inc. in 1956. It succeeded Peoples Transport Corporation, which had been in running since 1929 in Muskegon, Michigan. The company was still active in the mid-1960s.
MUSKEGON HEIGHTS MOTOR COACH COMPANY was operating out of Muskegon, Michigan, in the 1940s.
Copyright © 2019 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.