BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “N”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
NFT See NIAGARA FRONTIER TRANSIT SYSTEM, INC.
NANTASKET TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was listed as a “chartered corporation” by the state of Massachusetts in 1919. The company’s home office was in Hull, Massachusetts, which is also home to Nantasket Beach and presumably the origin of the company name. In 1919 a person named R. McDonald was listed as the company treasurer and at that time the company’s business was selling automobiles. (It is interesting to note that a number of early transit companies grew out of former auto dealerships—the most famous being Carl Eric Wickman and his bus company, The Greyhound Corporation.) The company ran buses between Hull and Hingham, Massachusetts. One source says the company lasted until 1976.
NAPA VALLEY BUS COMPANY was operating in the late 1920s out of Napa, California. C. E. Brown was the manager.
NAPA VALLEY STAGE LINE was operating out of Sacramento, California, in 1919. The registered contact was J.W. Bingham.
NASH BUS LINE ran out of Wilson, North Carolina in the mid 1920s. It ran from Wilson to Rocky Mount, via Elm City and Sharpsburg.
NASHVILLE TRANSIT COMPANY “Charter of Incorporation document for Tennessee Transportation Company, issued by Office of Secretary of State, State of Tennessee August 1926. . . . Indenture agreement between Tennessee Electric Power Company and Tennessee Transportation Company re: use of busses (‘motor propelled vehicles’) for public transportation for the City of Nashville, December 15, 1926.” In 1927 the Tennessee Electric Power Company (TEPCO), which ran Nashville Tennessee’s streetcars, formed a motor-coach subsidiary: the Tennessee Transportation Company. When the Tennessee Valley Authority took over TEPCO in 1940, forcing its liquidation, capital provide by TEPCO and the Tennessee Transportation Company created a new corporation—the Nashville Coach Company—to provide city bus service. In a 1941 reorganization the Southern Coach Lines took over the Nashville Coach Company, as well as the transit system in Chattanooga, which was operated by the Tennessee Electric Power Co. In 1953 the city created the Nashville Transit Authority, and under another reorganization, a new company was inaugurated: Nashville Transit Company. In 1973 the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County applied for a federal grant for the purchase of the Nashville Transit Company. In September 1973, the transfer from private to public ownership was completed and the Metropolitan Transit Authority was officially chartered. The badge has two threaded posts and was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY.
NASSAU BUS LINE was founded in 1918 and served Far Rockaway, Hewlett, Inwood, Lynbrook, Woodmere and Atlantic Beach, in Nassau County, New York. It was acquired by Schenck Transportation Co in the 1960’s.
NATCHEZ CITY LINES, INC. was a privately-owned company in Natchez, Mississippi. It took over public transit services from Central Power & Light Company in 1928. The September 12, 1955 edition of the Clarion-Ledger from Jackson, Mississippi carried the story about the company demise: “NATCHEZ The retail division of the Natchez Association of Commerce has scheduled a meet for Monday afternoon to discuss impending abandonment of bus service here by the Natchez City Lines. The meeting was called by Charles Byrne, retail division chairman, at the request of merchants who feel that something should be done to maintain bus service. The Natchez City Lines are scheduled to suspend operations September 30, according to Bill Hudson, operator [owner].” The company is listed in the 1956 MTD, however information for that edition would have been gathered in 1955 when the company was planning to cease operations. In 1955 Natchez had a population of a little over 22,000 and Natchez City Lines was running 14 buses, which shows that it was a small agency and thus badges are rare. The badge here is #5, has two threaded posts and was made by GREENDUCK CO. CHICAGO. Instead of being painted or inlaid, which was usual with this style of badge, this one was gold and nickel plated. (In the below photo, traces of the gold can still be seen.)
NATIONAL CITY BUS LINES was a bus operator in the borough of Queens in New York City in the 1930s. The company was originally known as Greater Cities Bus Lines. It operated the Q39 bus route before it was taken over by Triboro Coach Corporation.
NATIONAL CITY LINES, INC., founded by General Motors, was a public transportation company made infamous in American transit history for joining in a conspiracy back in 1936 with Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California and Phillips Petroleum. Their express purpose was to acquire local transit systems throughout the United States, dismantle and replace them with buses, which of course used gasoline and rubber tires. Their actions became known as the General Motors streetcar conspiracy. To carry this out, GM needed someone to oversee their conspiracy; they found the right man in E. Roy Fitzgerald. He was named as president of National City Lines and, in 1937, formed a subsidiary named Pacific City Lines to purchase streetcar systems in the western United States. His efforts paid off big time for General Motors, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California and Phillips Petroleum—so much so that in 1947 National City Lines, Inc., American City Lines, Inc., Pacific City Lines, Inc., the Standard Oil Company of California, the Federal Engineering Corporation, the Phillips Petroleum Company, the General Motors Corporation, the Firestone Tire & Rubber Company and the Mack Manufacturing Corporation were indicted by the Feds on charges of conspiring to acquire control of a number of transit companies, and of forming a transportation monopoly for the purpose of “Conspiring to monopolize sales of buses and supplies to companies owned by National City Lines.” Also indicted were E. Roy Fitzgerald and Foster G. Beamsley of NCL; H.C. Grossman, GM; Henry C. Judd, Standard Oil of California; L.R. Jackson, Firestone Tire & Rubber; Frank B. Stradley, and A.M. Hughes, Phillips Petroleum.
Thanks to a lot of political pressure, in 1949 all were acquitted on the first charge but not the second. The verdicts were upheld on appeal in 1951. However, in what amounts to a travesty of justice, the corporations involved were fined a mere $5000, and their executives (including Roy Fitzgerald) were each fined $1. E. Roy Fitzgerald died of cancer in Chicago on June 15, 1957, at age 64. (Click here for a list of bus companies taken over by National City Lines.)
Over 1938 and 1939 the company made purchases in Alabama, Indiana and Ohio and by 1939, it owned or controlled 29 local transportation companies in 27 different cities in 10 states. American City Lines, which had been organized to acquire local transportation systems in the larger metropolitan areas in various parts of the country in 1943 merged with NCL in 1946. By 1947 the company owned or controlled 46 systems in 45 cities in 16 states.
A note about National City Lines badges: I have personally seen (or own) a number of badges from companies operated by National City Lines. So far, they are all the same design made by Greenduck Company in Chicago, with two threaded posts and measures 2 ½ x 3″ (some are marked, some unmarked, some with only Greenduck’s hallmarks). The Los Angeles Transit Lines badge shown here is virtually identical to all National City Lines badges, with the exception of the color scheme.
NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRANSPORT COMPANY was organized in December 1929 by Arthur Hill and John Gilmer, based in Charleston, West Virginia. Essentially, it was a holding company and was set up to buy the capital stock of their own firms, the Blue and Gray Transit Company and the Camel City Coach Company. Doc Rushing writes: In 1931 National Highway Transport Company began using the “brand name, trade name, or service name of the Atlantic Greyhound Lines (while at first retaining its own previous corporate name), then in July 1931 NHT became renamed as the Atlantic Greyhound Lines, with the consent of Greyhound, although the parent Greyhound firm had then acquired only a minority interest in NHT and not yet a controlling (majority) interest.” In 1929, Hill and Gilmer, along with a third partner named Guy Huguelet (of the Consolidated Coach Corporation, of Lexington, Kentucky, which, in 1936, was renamed Southeastern Greyhound Lines), formed Old Dominion Stages. In 1932 Hill and Gilmer bought Huguelet’s one-third interest of Old Dominion Stages and merged the company into Atlantic Greyhound Lines.
NAVA-HOPI TOURS was based in Flagstaff, Arizona, in the 1950s and served Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon.
NEIBAUER BUS COMPANY was a family operation based in Bristol, Pennsylvania. The company was founded in the early 1930s by Edward W. Neibauer, who served as general manager and purchasing agent (Mrs. Edward W. Neibauer) served as president). In 1932 the Trenton Bristol & Philadelphia Railway Company ceased operations; its routes were taken over by the Delaware River Coach Company. In 1935 its routes were taken over by Neibauer Bus Company. The routes were Philadelphia, Elkins Park, Fox Chase, Croydon, Bristol, Morrisville, Solangborne, Langhorne, Tullytown, Hulmeville, South Langhorne and Newtown. In 1946 the company operated 24 buses over 44 route miles. The company was still listed in the 1956 MTD. There are two known badges: the first has two threaded posts and was marked Providence, R. I. The second has no markings and features two threaded posts.
NELLIS BUS STAGE LINE was operating in the San Francisco Bay, California, area in 1922.
NELSON AUTO SERVICE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Palo Alto, California. R. M. Nelson was the registered contact.
NEVADA-CALIFORNIA AUTO STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Tonopah, Nevada. Perry White was the owner, who later sold to Dan Haskins.
NEVADA TRANSIT COMPANY began to operate the intercity Reno-Sparks bus line on June 15, 1927, after Reno Traction Company closed down streetcar service in the Reno, Nevada, area. It was still operating out of Reno, Nevada’s, Union Stage Depot in 1940. In 1952 the company was running 12 buses over a 10-mile route. In 1956 the company was operating 15 buses over 9 route miles. Some information on the company’s later history comes from this article in the September 27, 1977, edition of the Reno Gazette-Journal from Reno, Nevada: “New owners of the troubled Nevada Transit Co. asked the Reno City Council Monday to increase its subsidy from $30,000 to $85,000 a year, but the council took no action. Ralph Lawrence, who purchased the bus line this month, told councilmen he wants to increase the bus service and apply to the Public Service Commission for an area-wide authority. Lawrence said he would consider selling the company if he got a buyer. He said he had to buy the Nevada Transit Co. when he bought Nevada Central Motor Lines, which is a charter line and a subsidiary of the bus company.” In the Spring of 1978 the company requested permission to suspend bus operations.
NEVIN BUS LINES, INC. was founded in the 1920s and was based in Jersey City, New Jersey. It was named for the owner, Harris Nevin who ran the company as an intrastate passenger line. (A December 1, 1932, schedule noted that the company had a Western Division and had offices in Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Toledo, Akron, Ohio, Kansas City, Dallas, Los Angeles, Chicago (two offices), East St. Louis, Illinois, St. Louis, Missouri and Canton. It also ran in New York, Maryland and Washington, D.C.) By 1927-1928 the company was running 126 buses. The company also ran a subsidiary, the Queens Bus Lines, Inc., from the same company address with the same company officers. In May 1930 Nevin Bus Line was sued by the Pennsylvanian Railroad Company alleging the company was “conducting an intrastate passenger transportation business without a certificate of public convenience . . .” On Saturday, February 18, 1933 The Pittsburgh Courier carried an advert for an attorney named Samuel S. Cohen: “Attorney Samuel S. Cohen, manager Nevin Bus Lines, announces the lowest rates in the bus history. Mr. Cohen is a long life [sic] resident of the Fifth ward . . The Nevin Bus Line is located at 1011 Liberty Avenue.” This is interesting because one month later in May 1933, Nevin Bus Lines, Inc. was being sued in New York City by the husband of a passenger for damages in an accident involving one of their buses. The reason that this is relevant is because it revealed that the company was bankrupt: “On March 28th, 1933, the said Nevin Bus Lines was duly adjudicated a bankrupt.” However, as the case unfolded, it was discovered that the company attorney, William M. Nevin (who was undoubtedly related to the owner) had committed fraud. “July 11, 1933: Plaintiff’s attorney discovered that the Queens Bus Lines, Inc. is a subsidiary of the Nevins Bus Lines, Inc.; that the officers of the Nevin Bus Lines, Inc., are the same officers of the Queens Bus Lines, Inc. and they shared the same physical address, that both companies have the same attorney (William M. Nevin) and that he serves as the secretary and treasurer of both companies.” The company’s badge is a die-pressed, pin back type with no maker’s mark.
NEVIN-QUEENS BUS CORPORATION I’m assuming the “Nevin” part of this company was the above “Nevin Bus Lines, Inc.” The reason for my assumption is that Nevin Bus Lines, Inc. was being sued in New York City by the husband of a passenger in May 1933 for damages in an accident involving one of their buses. The plaintiff added the Queens Bus Lines, Inc. as a co-defendant—a motion that was dismissed. The judge ruled: “The Nevin Bus Lines is a separate and distinct corporation from the Queens Bus Lines, Inc. On March 28th, 1933, the said Nevin Bus Lines was duly adjudicated a bankrupt. The Queens Bus Lines, Inc. was not and is not involved in said bank.” I’m not sure if the Nevin-Queens Bus Corporation and the Queens Bus Line, Inc. were one and the same, however if you read the entry above for Nevin Bus Lines you will discover that both that company and Queens Bus Lines, Inc. were the same company/corporation. The Nevin-Queens Bus Corporation ran in the 1930s until 1935 in Queens, New York City, on Hillside Ave-Springfield Blv.; Sutphin Blvd.-Rockaway Blvd.
NEW BEDFORD AND ONSET ST. RY. CO. operated electric trolleys from 1900’s into the late 1920’s in New Bedford, Fairhaven, Mattapoisett, Marion, Wareham & Onset, Massachusetts. The badge is a pinback and hallmarked.
NEW BERLIN BUS COMPANY was operational in the 1960s out of New Berlin, Wisconsin. There’s not much information other than it was primarily a school bus operation and that it was bought in ca. 1980 by Miles M. Laubenheimer (1922-2014), who also owned Safeway Transport, Muskego Transport and Allyn Bus Company. The badge is die-pressed brass with gold plating, has one threaded post and one pin post and measures 2¾” x 2¼”.
NEW CASTLE-KNIGHTSTOWN, RUSHVILLE BUS LINE ran in 1932 in New Castle, Ind.
NEW CASTLE TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was operating out of Indianapolis, Indiana, in 1925 from the new Red Ball Bus Terminal. There is a mention of the company in the June 7, 1925 edition of the Indianapolis Star from Indianapolis: “ANOTHER MACK BUS ADDED BY NEWCASTLE [sic] TRANSIT CO. Traffic has increased to such an extent over the Anderson-Newcastle-Richmond [sic] route that the Newcastle Transit Company of Newcastle, Ind. [sic] has found it necessary to add another Mack bus, parlor-car type, seating twenty-five passengers, to their equipment. The company now operates a fleet of fifteen busses, seven of which are Marks, over five routes In the vicinity of Indianapolis.” In October 1925 the company was granted a certificate to operate between New Castle and Greenburg, Indiana. In June 1926 the company sold one of its franchises and in August filed for a preliminary dissolution. There is no further information after that date.
NEW ENGLAND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was organized in 1925 as both a interstate trucking company and an intercity motor bus subsidiary of the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Company. In the early 1930s the company bought and operated two subsidiaries, the Berkshire Motor Coach Lines, Inc. and the Victoria Coach Line, Inc. In 1937 The Greyhound Corporation formed the New England Greyhound Lines to take over three routes of the New England Transportation Company and its two subsidiaries – the Berkshire Motor Coach Lines and the Victoria Coach Lines – plus the Quaker Stages Company and the Old Colony Coach Lines, two independent unrelated firms. (The four smaller companies ceased to exist after their acquisition, leaving a reduced New England Transportation Company continuing to operate.) In the 1940s the company advertised: “New England Transportation Co.; Serving 146 Cities and Towns in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.” The company was still in business in 1956 and was headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island running 127 buses in Southern New England. In November 1958 the company sold all its remaining routes and went out of business. (The company’s trucking concerns continued to operate.) The badge has a pin-back, measures approx. 1⅓” x 1⅓” and is nickel plated.
NEW JERSEY INTERURBAN COACH COMPANY From the website of Trans-Bridge Lines, Inc. comes the following info: In 1923, this company had purchased a trolley company, The Northampton, Easton, and Washington Traction Company, which was established in 1906. New Jersey Interurban eventually replaced its trolley cars with coaches which first operated on February 7, 1925. On September 5, 1941 A. J. Ferraro founded the Phillipsburg-based Trans-Bridge Lines, Inc. when he took over the New Jersey Interurban Coach Company. Trans-Bridge Lines is still in business.
NEW JERSEY MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY I acquired this original photo several years ago. With the help of a jeweler’s loop, I could clearly read the logo on the side of the bus, which read “New Jersey Motor Transit Co. Belt Line”. Try as I have (using all the major search engines), I can find no mention of this company anywhere. The photo clearly shows a bus from ca. 1915, and the fact that its sign board reads “CITY HALL” indicates it was a city bus service. At any rate, for now this company remains a mystery.
NEW JERSEY TRANSIT (NJT) was founded on July 17, 1979, as an offspring of the New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT). The badge has two threaded posts and measures 2 ¾” in height & 1 ¾”.
NEW ORLEANS RAILWAY DEPT. / NEW ORLEANS PUBLIC SERVICE In the late 1800s there were six streetcar companies operating in New Orleans, Louisana: New Orleans and Carrollton Railroad Company, New Orleans City Railroad Company, Crescent City Railroad Company, Canal and Claiborne Streets Railroad Company, St. Charles Street Railroad Company and the Orleans Railroad Company. During the 1890s these companies electrified their streetcar lines. In 1902 the six operating streetcar companies merged into the New Orleans Railways Company, which took over operation of all New Orleans streetcars. In 1905 the operating company became the New Orleans Railway and Light Company. Final consolidation of ownership as well as operation became reality in 1922 with the formation of New Orleans Public Service Incorporated (commonly abbreviated NOPSI, never NOPS). Buses began to be used in New Orleans transit in 1924. Several streetcar lines were converted to bus or were abandoned outright over the next 15 years. Beginning after World War II, as in much of the United States, almost all streetcar lines were replaced with buses, either internal combustion (gasoline/diesel) or electric (trolley bus). See the Historic Lines section below. Track and overhead wire of abandoned or converted lines were generally removed, although remnants of abandoned track remain in a few places around the city. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, it became apparent that private operation of the New Orleans transit system could not continue. Creation of a public body that could receive tax money and qualify for federal funding was necessary. The Louisiana legislature created the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority (RTA) in 1979, and in 1983, RTA took over ownership and operation of the system. The last four streetcar lines in New Orleans were the S. Claiborne and Napoleon lines, which were converted to motor bus in 1953; the Canal, which was converted in 1964; and the St. Charles, which has continued in operation, and now has historic landmark status. (Information from Wikipeida.)
The first badge was issued in the early 1920s for streetcar use. Buses were added in the late 1920s, and operators also used the badges. The older badge was made of nickel plated copper with a single threaded post and measures approx. 2 ½” x 2 ¼” The later badge was made of die pressed aluminum.
NEW YORK BUS SERVICE provided express bus service between Midtown Manhattan and the Bronx, New York City, from 1970 until MTA Bus Company assumed operations on July 1, 2005. The company was founded in the mid-1940s under a different name (Parochial Bus Service) to provide school bus service. It began operating racetrack services from the Bronx and Upper Manhattan in 1949 (as New York Bus Tours). There are two badges for this company. The older badge is made of nickel-plated metal and has two threaded posts; the newer badge is made of enameled metal and features two different bus designs (the first design looks like a GM “fishbowl” bus), and both have two threaded posts.
NEW YORK CITY OMNIBUS COMPANY operated in Manhattan, New York City. “It was first organized as a bus subsidiary of New York Railways Corporation to take over that company’s routes as they were converted from streetcar to bus operation. It controlled, and ultimately merged into its own operation, two smaller bus companies: Madison Avenue Coach Company, Incorporated and Eighth Avenue Coach Corporation. It also took over most, but not all, of the operations of Green Bus Lines when that company gave up its Manhattan franchises for franchises in Queens. . . . In 1940, it took over the Houston St.-Av. C line from the Triangle Bus Company, giving it the route number 21. In 1956, the company bought out Third Avenue Transit Corporation and had that company sell its bus routes (operated by Third Avenue’s subsidiary, Surface Transportation Corporation of New York) to NYCO. It then dissolved Surface Transportation Corp. and created a new subsidiary, Surface Transit, Inc., to run the ex-Third Avenue routes. The company also took over operations of the Fifth Avenue Coach Company, but decided that the Fifth Avenue name was better known, and so adopted the name for the consolidated company of Fifth Avenue Coach Lines. The company’s routes were taken over by the Manhattan & Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority following a transit strike in 1962.”
NEW YORK CITY OMNIBUS CORPORATION (GREEN LINES) (NYCO) was formed in 1926 with John A Ritchie as President. (Richie was also president of The Omnibus Corporation founded a year earlier.) It ran bus services in New York City between 1926 and 1962. It expanded in 1935/36 with new bus routes to replace the New York Railways Corporation streetcars when these were dismantled. It further expanded with the acquisition of the Fifth Avenue Coach Company from The Omnibus Corporation in 1954. NYCO was renamed the “Fifth Avenue Coach Lines, Inc.” in 1956, becoming bankrupt in 1962, after which operations were taken over by the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority. (From Wikipedia.) The badge is marked Robbins Co. Attleboro, Massachusetts, has two threaded posts and measures approx. 2″ x 2 ½”.
NEW YORK CITY RAILWAY COMPANY (Information from Wikipedia: The Interurban Street Railway Company was incorporated on November 25, 1901, to take over the bankrupt North Mount Vernon Street Railway. The Interurban leased the overcapitalized and water-logged Metropolitan on February 14, 1902, and the newly formed Metropolitan Securities Company acquired the stock of the Interurban, which itself took over the stock of many of the Metropolitan’s subsidiaries. The Interurban’s name was changed to the New York City Railway Company on February 10, 1904.
The New York City Interborough Railway began operating street railways in the Bronx and Upper Manhattan on May 31, 1906, feeding the stations of the Interborough Rapid Transit Company, which controlled it. Prior to this, in January 1906, the Interborough and Metropolitan agreed to consolidate their holdings, and the Interborough-Metropolitan Company was incorporated on January 24 and acquired a majority of the stock of the Interborough Rapid Transit Company, Metropolitan Street Railway, and Metropolitan Securities Company. The Panic of 1907 toppled the system, and on September 24, 1907, the New York City Railway entered receivership.
After entering receivership, New York City Railway’s leases and operating agreements were canceled and their properties were turned over to the receivers of the subsidiaries in 1908. The pin-back badge is marked for an instructor, is made of die-pressed brass and measures 2 ¼” x 1 ¾”. The maker’s mark is AM. RY.-S. CO. NY.
NEW YORK CITY SURFACE M Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) Chartered by the New York State Legislature in 1965 as the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation Authority (MCTA). The MCTA dropped the word “Commuter” from its name and became the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) on March 1, 1968, when it took over operations of the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) The badge has one threaded post & pin post.
NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AUTHORITY / NYCTA The New York City Transit Authority (also known as NYCTA, The TA or simply Transit, and branded as MTA New York City Transit) is a public authority of New York that operates public transportation in New York City. Part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the busiest and largest transit system in North America, the NYCTA has a daily ridership of 7 million trips (over 2 billion annually). It operates the following systems: New York City Subway, a rapid transit system in Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens. Staten Island Railway, a rapid transit line in Staten Island (operated by the Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority) is a NYCTA subsidiary. The badge is die pressed and has a single threaded post.
NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT SYSTEM This was the predecessor to the New York City Transit Authority, which replaced the New York City Transit System in 1953. The badge dates before that year, i.e., 1930s-1953. It measures approx. 2″ round, and is a pin & clasp type made of nickel-plated brass.
NEW YORK-KEANSBURG BUS COMPANY was running in 1929 in New Jersey, since it is mentioned in a utility commissioners’ order dated Wednesday November 20, 1929, from Red Bank, N. J. (It was “unlawfually” operating a route between Jersey City and Keansburg without necessary municipal consents.) It is mentioned in the 1956 MTD and was connected to the LONG BRANCH BUS LINE, INC. Both were intercity companies serving New York City, Keansburg and Long Branch, New Jersey. Both were operated by the Keansburg Steamboat Company, and ran 20 buses over 120 route miles. (Since NEW YORK-KEANSBURG BUS COMPANY was not listed in the 1946, nor 1952 MTD and is listed in the 1954 directory, it may not be the same company that is mentioned in the 1929 judgement case.) NEW YORK-KEANSBURG BUS COMPANY was running in the 1970s and 1980s, and had an office in Middletown Township, New Jersey. There is a badge known for the company, which measures 2¾” and has two threaded posts.
NEW YORK & NORTH SHORE TRACTION COMPANY (NY&NST) was founded in Queens, New York City, in 1902 as a trolley company named the Mineola, Roslyn & Port Washington Traction Company. It was renamed in 1907 as the New York & North Shore Traction Company. By the late-1910s the NY&NST replaced their trolley cars with buses, the majority of which operated in Queens. In 1920 the NY&NST failed and on August 14, 1923 Joseph Rauchwerger founded the Rauchwerger Bus Company to take over the NY&NST streetcar routes.
NEW YORK TRANSIT Information needed on this badge. It is hallmarked ORBER MFG CO. PAWTUCKET R.I. It measures approx. 2 ½”.
Newburgh Bus Corporation (NY) 1959
NEWSOM BUS LINE ran a route from Covington, Ky. to Visalia, Ky. I found the following entry on the Internet: “Operation of the Newsom Bus Line Co.. Visalia, was taken over yesterday by the Bridges Brothers, Inc., Visalia, following announcement in Frankfort that the latter concern had filed articles of incorporation with the. Secretary of State. listing capitalization at $12,000. Russell E. Bridges. Superintendent of Fort Thomas Schools, one of the Incorporators, said the line would follow nearly the same route as that of the Newsom concern. He explained that Paul Newsom, former opetator of the bus line, would continue to operate the Newsom bus line which follows the Taylor Mill route.” This excerpt came was in a Cincinnati newspaper for August 9, 1946.” The company went out of business in 1956. The badge has two threaded posts.
NI-SUN LINES, LTD. (aka NI-SUN BUS LINES) was founded by Walter Nisun prior to 1927, and took over the defunct Nuway Lines, which was formerly known as the Safeway Lines. Primarily the company operated from Kansas City, Missouri to Detroit, Michigan. (At the same time Nisun owned and operated DETROIT-CHICAGO MOTOR BUS COMPANY, INC., and would later form the Sunny South Lines.) In May 1928 Ni-Sun Lines was one of four bus companies that formed an airplane passenger service in Kansas City to connect with their bus lines. A newspaper notice noted that “The company gives free bus service from the downtown district to its flying field. The charges on long flights will be 35 cents a mile with one passenger; 17½ cents for two passengers; 16⅔ cents for three passengers and 12½ cents when four passengers are carried.” An August 17, 1928 article in The Evening Review from East Liverpool, Ohio gave additional information: “The territories served by the four bus lines which entered the agreement follow: Purple Swan — New York to Chicago. Ni-sun Lines — Detroit to Kansas City. Paradox Lines — Kansas City to work will offer transportation east to Boston, as far south as Fort Worth and Dallas, Texas . . . De Rapid Transit Lines — Kansas City to Tulsa.” In 1935 Ni-Sun Lines was sold to All American Bus Lines, which later became the American Buslines.
NIAGARA FALLS COACH LINES, INC. was founded by Michael J. Argy, Sr. in the early 1950s and incorporated on April 26, 1966. It operated in Niagara Falls and Lewiston, New York. In 1956 the company operated 35 buses over 760 route miles. Today the company operates a school bus service.
NIAGARA FRONTIER TRANSIT SYSTEM, INC. / NFT was born in 1950 after the International Railway Co. (IRC) filed bankruptcy/reorganization in 1949. (The IRC surrendered all its assets to the new company in 1950.) The company ran a city service in both Buffalo and Niagara Falls, New York, from 1950 thru 1967 when it was replaced by the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority Corporation (NFTA). In 1956 the company operated 390 buses over 676 route miles. The first badge is thin die pressed, single threaded post and made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY. The second badge is a later style and is nickel plated.
NIAGARA GORGE BUS LINE was a subsidiary of Niagara Gorge Railroad Company and ran in Niagara Falls, New York, in 1921. (The Niagara Gorge Railroad—forming part of the Great Gorge Route—was an interurban railway which ran at the bottom of the Niagara Gorge at water level from Niagara Falls, New York, to Lewiston, New York.) The Niagara Gorge Bus Line was bought out by the International Railway Company (IRC), which operated in Western New York State and a southern portion of the Province of Ontario. The IRC would later sell the company to the Niagara Falls Power Company.
NIAGARA GRAY BUS LINES, INC. was running in New York between 1920-1927 with 17 buses. In 1921 it was located at 38 W. Falls St., Niagara Falls, New York. Operations of the Niagara Gray Bus Lines from Niagara Falls to Lewiston, Youngtown, and Fort Niagara were acquired and merged into the International Railway Company system on June 16, 1936.
NIPTON-SEARCHLIGHT AUTO PASSENGER & FREIGHT SERVICE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Searchlight, Nevada. James T. Hawkins was the registered contact. (As an aside, in the year 1927 the company paid $5.08 in taxes for transporting passengers and .92 cents in taxes for freight.)
NOGALES-BISBEE STAGE COMPANY ran in 1946 and was headquartered in Nogales, Arizona. It ran 3 buses over 246 route miles. (The company was owned by Citizens Auto Stages and was located at the same address with the same manager and staff.) In 1971 the The Nogales School Board awarded the company a contract for transporting school children.
NOKOMIS BUS LINE, INC. was founded by Luciano Costa and a brother in 1924 as an intercity bus line in Decatur, Illinois. In 1925 the company operated between Decatur and Pana to Hillsboro, Illinois. The August 4, 1928, edition of the Decatur Herald of Decatur, Illinois gives more information about the company: “Elmer H. Baldus of Belleville, Illinois announced the purchase of the Nokomis Bus Line by Motorway, Inc. of St. Louis, of which he is president and general manager. Among the companies operated by Mr. Baldus have been the Blue Goose between St. Louis and Belleville. The Nokomis Bus Line has been owned by the Coast [sic] Brothers and has operated between Pana, Nokomis and Hillsboro and . . . Mattoon. It was announced by Manager Baldus that the old buses of the Nokomis line will be sold and new and modern ones purchased and installed in the service.”
NORDLINE STAGE COMPANY was owned and operated by A. L. Nordby and J. E. Crow, and in March 1930 made twice-a week trips from Nordland, Washington to Port Townsend, Washington, offering passenger and freight se rvice. By 1936, their depot was in the McCurdy Building located at the corner of Water and Taylor Streets in Port Townsend.
NORFOLK-CAROLINA BUS CORPORATION was operating in the mid 1920s. It was a line that serviced Black neighborhoods (designated as “colored” in 1925) running in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, to Norfolk, Virginia,—a distance of about 47 miles.
NORFOLK SOUTHERN BUS CORPORATION “The Norfolk Southern railroad found its passenger business threatened by highway development in the mid-1920s, and as with many railroads in that period, the NS created a highway bus subsidiary, the Norfolk Southern Bus Corp., commencing operations in June 1926. The NS bus routes primarily paralleled the rail lines.” (From the Wikipedia article “Transportation in Virginia Beach, Virginia.”) In the summer of 1936 the company complained to the Prince Anne Sheriff’s office that black-owned jitneys were undercutting their 35¢ fare transporting black swimmers to the beach in the Tidewater region of southeast Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. The badge is a single threaded post example made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO. Single screw post. Based on the bus style, my guess is that this badge dates from the 1940s-1950.
NORMAN BUS LINES served Natchitoches, Many and Mansfield, Louisiana.
NORTH ALABAMA TRACTION COMPANY provided streetcar service in Decatur, Alabama. It started running after 1904, and replaced the Decatur Street Railway. It was running in 1915 when W. A. Bibb was general manager. As to the company’s fate, we find this from the Supreme Court of Alabama, dated April 16, 1925: “It further appears that North Alabama Traction Company went into the hands of a receiver; that its property was sold under decree of the United States District Court.” Note that the court case was filed in April 1925, by which time the North Alabama Traction Company was already out of business. The company was succeeded by Decatur Transit, Inc.
NORTH AMERICAN BUS LINES I’ll have to admit I’m stumped on this one. I can find no mention of the company on the Net, nor is it to be found in any of my many transit books—including my various editions of Mass Transportation’s Directory. So, I’m hoping someone will help on this one! The badge appears to be an oldie, dating to the streetcar days; it is made of nickel, measures approx. 2″ in length, and is a pin back.
NORTH BEND BUS COMPANY (See Dunthorpe Motor Transport, Inc.)
NORTH BEND STAGE LINES, INC. / EVERGREEN TRAILWAYS, INC. / EVERGREEN BUS COMPANY By one account North Bend Stage Lines began operations in 1919; by another it was in August 1921. Two partners, Emil A. Arneson (1887-1968) and W. A. Cochran, began operating two touring cars between Seattle and North Bend, Washington. In 1925 the company was incorporated. That same year it acquired Preston-Issaquah-Seattle Stage Line and Cascade Mountain Stage Line. The company joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1940, and began operating as Evergreen Trailways. The company acquired Redwood Stage Company in 1946 and that same year North Bend Stage Lines’ name was legally changed to Evergreen Trailways, Inc. In 1946 the company was headquartered in Seattle and served Issaquah, North Bend, Redmond and Kirkland with 14 buses over 240 route miles; Emil Arneson was the president and his son, Elwood L. Arneson (1915-2002) was general manager. Jon Hobijn, writes: “On December 29, 1950, Arneson leased all the routes of Evergreen to Lake Shore Lines, and as of mid 1951, were operated as East Side Lines. In 1954, the lease expired and the routes were permanently transferred and sold to Lake Shore Lines, which later was known as Metropolitan and then Seattle Metro, the transit authority. Thus, 1954 was the end of Evergreen Trailways for the first time.” After leasing the company’s routes to Lake Shore Lines, in August 1951 Elwood Arneson formed Evergreen Bus Company and continued to operate as Evergreen Trailways. By 1954 the company was operating only 4 buses over 21 route miles. That year Elwood Arneson sold his company to Island Transit. But Elwood Arneson wasn’t finished with the bus business. Back in 1921 Index Stages was formed to operate buses between Monroe and Index, Washington. By 1945 the company was running into Seattle. That year four partners bought the company—one of whom was Emil A. Arneson. In 1954 the partners sold the company to Elwood Arneson and one of partners named Walt Bourdage. Bourdage then sold his share to William Niskanen, who was vice president and general manager of Pacific Trailways / Mt. Hood Stages, Inc., located in Bend, Oregon. In the 1956 MTD Elwood Arneson was listed as Evergreen Bus Company / Evergreen Trailways’ president and general manager; the company was still operating 4 buses over 21 route miles. (Bourdage’s name isn’t mentioned.) According to Jon Hobijn, in July 1960 Elwood Arneson purchased Bremerton-Tacoma Stages, Inc. and in 1972 joined National Trailways Bus System as Cascade Trailways. Jon Hobijn, goes on to note that Arneson sold the company in 1978 to Tom Harmon and Roger Peck. (There is some conflicting info here, so the reader should check out Cascade Trailways’ entry.)
NORTH BUS LINES, INC. I’ve been unable to find this company in any of my reference books, nor on line. Given its age and pristine condition, it may be a salesman’s sample with a mock company name. It came in a lot with another badge which is also untraceable to an actual bus company. More info needed. The badge is die-pressed brass and nickel-plated, measures 2″ x 2¼” and has one threaded post.
NORTH COAST LINES / NORTH COAST TRANSPORTATION COMPANY This company’s history starts in Seattle, Washington, with Stone & Webster Management Company, which was founded in Boston by engineer-entrepreneurs Charles A. Stone and Edwin S. Webster. By 1899 Stone & Webster’s subsidiary, Seattle Electric Company, owned the city’s 22 streetcar lines. These were consolidated into the Puget Sound Traction, Light & Power Company, which succeeded the Seattle Electric Company. This company built an interurban line from Seattle to Tacoma, which it called the Puget Sound Electric Railway, commencing service on September 25, 1902. In 1912, Stone & Webster created another subsidiary, Pacific Northwest Traction Company. In 1926 this company created a bus subsidiary called the North Coast Transportation Company. In 1927 North Coast Transportation Company introduced motor buses to shuttle passengers between terminals, and integrated bus and rail service known as the North Coast Lines. In turn, sometime in the 1930s the North Coast Lines set up a subsidiary named THE $4.00 LINE PORTLAND – SEATTLE. In 1932 North Coast Lines served Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada; Seattle, Tacoma, Bellingham, Everett, Olympia, Aberdeen, Centralia, Chehalis, Kelso, Longview and Vancouver, Washington, from whence it ran into Portland, Oregon. The company was known for buying the unique Kenworth “double-decker” highway coaches for their operations. In 1946, federal regulators ordered Puget Sound Traction, Light & Power to divest North Coast Lines, ending the company’s involvement in interurban transportation. The company was sold to The Greyhound Corporation in October 1948 for over $2 million. The sale included the company’s large bus terminal in downtown Seattle, which thereafter became the Greyhound Bus Terminal. Following the sale the company’s name was changed to North Coast Greyhound Lines, but in 1950 that company was consolidated into Northwest Greyhound Lines, Inc. The cloisonne badge is made of brass with a single threaded post, and measures 2″ in diameter. It is considered a rarity among badge collectors.
North East Transportation Co., ran in 1927 in Waterbury, Conn.
NORTH FORK STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Fresno, California. D. Moyers was the registered contact.
NORTH EAST BUS LINES I have a badge photo, but can find no company with this name after an Internet search and a search of all my own resources. The nearest company is the North East Transportation Company, Inc. from Waterbury, Connecticut, which was operating in the 1940s and 1950s. It doesn’t appear these two companies are connected, so this entry remains a mystery.
NORTH EAST TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was a city bus service operating in Waterbury, Connecticut, in the 1940s and 1950s. It operated 8 buses running 7 route miles in 1956.
NORTH HENNEPIN TRANSIT operated northwest of Minneapolis to Robbinsdale and Crystal Village, Minnesota. First subsidized by MTC in 1970, acquired by MTC in 1971. The badge is die pressed with a single threaded post and measures 2⅜” .
NORTH MUSKEGON BUS LINE This company was operating in the 1940s and ran from Muskegon, Michigan, to North Muskegon and Michigan State Park.
NORTH OLMSTED MUNICIPAL BUS LINE / N. O. MUNICIPAL BUS LINE / N. O. MUNICIPAL COACH LINE According to Wikepedia, this company was founded as a division of the Village of North Olmsted, Ohio, in response to the discontinuation of the Cleveland-Southwestern interurban rail system; it began operations at 5:15 AM on March 1, 1931, with two buses; its revenues on its first day of operation was $24.65. For some reason there is no mention of the company in the 1946 MTD, however, the 1954 MTD shows 27 buses operating over 35 route miles; the 1956 MTD shows 25 buses operating over 17 route miles. The company was being operated by the local government, with the town’s mayor listed as the chief officer. (It’s drivers and other employees were employed by the city of North Olmsted.) It served North Olmsted, Parkview, Fairview Park, Olmsted Falls and Westlake, Ohio. The company was in operation for over 74 years until March 20, 2005, when it was absorbed into the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority. The badge shown below is a later example made of nickel-plated metal with two threaded posts.
NORTH PENN BUS LINE In 1972 this company took over bus routes from Lehigh Valley Transit Company in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Lehigh Valley Transit’s origins date back to 1893 in Allentown, Pennsylvania; the company continued until 1972 when it ceased operations. At that time Lehigh Valley Transit was operating in Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton, Pennsylvania. I’m not sure how many of these routes were picked up by North Penn Bus Line. More info is needed. The badge is made of nickel, has two threaded posts with no makers mark.
NORTH SACRAMENTO STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Sacramento, California. W.H. Pimental was the owner.
NORTH SHORE LINE See CHICAGO NORTH SHORE & MILWAUKEE RAILROAD
NORTH SHORE BUS COMPANY / NEW YORK & NORTH SHORE TRACTION COMPANY (NY&NST) was founded in Queens, New York City, in 1902 as a trolley company named the Mineola, Roslyn & Port Washington Traction Company. It was renamed in 1907 as the New York & North Shore Traction Company. By the late-1910s the NY&NST replaced their trolley cars with buses, the majority of which operated in Queens. In 1920 the NY&NST failed and on August 14, 1923 Joseph Rauchwerger founded the Rauchwerger Bus Company to take over the NY&NST streetcar routes. On April 21, 1926 Rauchwerger founded the North Shore Bus Company, which then absorbed his Rauchwerger Bus Company. On September 22, 1935, the company bought the Flushing Heights Bus Corporation. In 1947, the North Shore Bus Co. became the only major bus company in Queens to fail, resulting in the New York City Board of Transportation taking over its routes. Those routes are currently operated by the New York City Transit Authority, except for one route which was not transferred to the Board of Transportation, but to Triboro Coach Corporation, which operated the route until Triboro’s routes were taken over by the MTA Bus Company in 2006.
NORTH STAR LINE, INC. was founded in 1922 in Battle Creek, Michigan. The September 29, 1927, edition of the Battle Creek Enquirer from Battle Creek, Michigan, offers some background: “Effective October 1, Battle Creek is to be linked with Grand Rapids by through bus service, via Hastings, four busses leaving and arriving daily with the union bus station on South Jefferson avenue as the local terminal. The bus line from Battle Creek to Hastings, operated for the last eight years by Weldon Bronson of Hastings, has been purchased by the North Star Line. Inc.. of Grand Rapids, which has been operating bus lines out of Grand Rapids for the last five years. The North Star Line last March purchased a bus line linking Hastings and Grand Rapids, which had also been operated by Mr. Bronson, and its purchase of the Battle Creek-Hastings line makes possible through bus service between the two cities. The Battle Creek-Hastings-Grand Rapids bus route will be by way of Caledonia and Middleville. New type busses are to be put in service on the through bus line, according to Harold Wood, secretary of the company.” In 1946 the company was running from Grand Rapids to Howard City, Rockford, Big Rapids, Belding and Greenville, Michigan with 8 buses over 93 route miles. The company was still operating in 1978.
NORTHEAST ALABAMA BUS COMPANY, INC. The company was founded by Mr. And Mrs. W. M. Beck in 1941 in Fort Payne, Alabama, as an intercity bus company serving Albertsville, Centre, Geraldine, Collinsville, Fort Payne, Henagar, Valley Head, Scottsboro and Guntersville, Alabama and Summerville, Georgia. It ran 16 buses over 300 route miles in 1946. On January 18, 1956, the company gave notice that it would terminate all services beginning on January 21, 1956: “This has become necessary due to the fact that the stockholders have so much other business to attend to that it is impossible to continue the operations of this Company. If anyone is interested in continuing this operation, they can contact Mr. W. M. Beck, Fort Payne, Alabama. Telephone No. 165.”
NORTHEASTERN MISSOURI LINES, INC. / NORTHEASTERN MISSOURI GREYHOUND LINES, INC. / C & H TRANSIT INC. Northeastern Missouri Lines, Inc. was incorporated on June 25, 1946, in Missouri with John E. Evans as the registered agent and a director. The July 10, 1947, edition of the Mexico Ledger from Mexico, Missouri, reported: “Northeastern Missouri Greyhound Lines, Inc., was formed here with Robert H. Finley and W. Wallace Fry as local officers.” Northeastern Greyhound Lines commenced service on June 1, 1948 serving Hannibal, Mexico, Fulton and Jefferson City, Missouri with 6 buses running 222 route miles. In June 1948 P. W. Tibbetts was the company president with Robert H. Finley as vice president. In 1954 E. F. Freeman was the company president and Robert H. Finley was vice president. (Finley also owned and operated Finley Bus Line in Mexico, Missouri, with 6 buses running 26 route miles and ran between Mexico and Paris, Missouri. Finley Bus Line was mentioned in the 1946 MTD but was missing from the 1956 edition.) According to Chicago Transit & Railfan, in 1956 Northeastern Missouri Greyhound Lines was renamed as Northeastern Missouri Lines, which means it reverted to its original name. That company operated until July 6, 1972, at which time its operating authority was transferred to C & H Transit Incorporated.
NORTHEASTERN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY See Massachusetts Northeastern Transportation Company.
NORTHEND BUS COMPANY was running in New Jersey in 1959.
NORTHERN BUS COMPANY was running in 1927 in Scranton, Pa.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS BUS LINES was operating before 1921 as an intercity company in northern Illinois. That year the company was shown as operating $2,000 in the red. Since there is no other information, we might conclude that it was out of business by the next year.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS SERVICE COMPANY In 1926 was serving Dixon-Mendota-La Salle, Illinois.
NORTHERN INDIANA TRANSIT In 1905 Indiana Railway Co. combined with Chicago & South Shore Railway Co., forming Northern Indiana Railway Co. This company and its successor, Northern Indiana Transit after 1940, operated local buses replacing the interurban railways from South Bend to Elkhart/Goshen and Niles. The badge has two threaded posts with no indication as to the maker.
NORTHERN NECK TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / NORTHERN NECK AUTO TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was in operation in the late 1920s running a route out of Richmond, Virginia. In June, 1928 it sold its franchise to the Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches, Inc., which was owned by Robert Lee May. In April 1929 May sold the Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches, Inc. to Motor Transit Corporation, which was to shortly change its corporate name to The Greyhound Corporation. The information about this company is found in the following article published in the Rappahannock Record, from Kilmarnock, Virginia for June 21, 1928: “The Northern Neck Transportation Company has sold its franchise to the Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches Inc., according to an announcement made recently, and the State Corporation Commission at Richmond has granted authority to the latter to take over the routes formerly run by the Northern Neck Company. The change will become effective at once, it is said. The Northern Neck Auto Transportation Company has for several years been operating lines between this city and Warsaw and between King George and Colonial Beach. For the immediate future the change in ownership will mean no change in the schedule of the lines operated either between this city and Richmond and Washington or the lines operated to the Northern Neck points but changes may be made later. One of the buses operated on the Northern Neck lines will be replaced, it was announced, by a bus of larger capacity which formerly was in use between Richmond and Washington but which was replaced when the present buses were put on the Capital to Capital route. R. L. May a former Spotsylvania County man, who is president of the Richmond-Washington Motor Coast Lines, was in the city recently for a short time attending to details in reference to the transfer of the Northern Neck Lines to his company.”
Northern Ohio Power & Light Co., ran in 1927 in Akron, Ohio
NORTHGLENN BUS LINES The only info I have on this badge is that it’s from Northglenn, Colorado. The badge measures 2 ½” x 2 ½”.
NORTHLAND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY See Northland Greyhound Lines, Inc.
NORTHWEST TRANSP. (NORTHWEST TRANSPORT) I have no information on this company, but judging from the style, the badge is at least 50 years old. It has two threaded posts and no maker’s mark.
NORTHWESTERN MOTOR BUS COMPANY According to the state of Michigan, the company was founded in Ironwood, Michigan, on June 22, 1926. However, we shall quote three newspaper items, one from 1929, another from 1951 and the third from 1993, which places the company’s founding in 1919 and/or 1921. It may be that, prior to 1926, the company operated under a different name, or in fact had not registered its business with the state. The September 20, 1929 edition of the Ironwood Daily Globe from Ironwood, Michigan, gives background info on the company’s founding: “Approximately ten years ago, the Northwestern Motor Bus company started its motor bus route, and now, after eighteen months consideration with them of the service rendered, and the receipt of a petition signed by approximately 600 citizens, requesting the discontinuance of the street-car service, we are convinced that bus operation will more adequately meet the needs of the community and give the bus line a better chance to service the public, if the street railway is eliminated. The bus company will provide service not only over U. S. Highway No, 2, between Ironwood and Bessemer, but also over the Old County Road. With the establishment of this service, which is adequate both as to schedule and routes, and in most cases at a fare less than that now charged by the street railway, need for continued operation of the Street railway has ceased to exist.”
The March 9, 1951, edition of the Ironwood Daily Globe, gives a different date for the company’s founding: “Sir, it’s been well over 30 years – since 1921 – that there has been no increase in fares on the Northwestern Motor busses. Making both ends meet – another way of saying making income cover out-go, is an ever present problem with us. We at the Northwestern Motor Bus Company are finding this problem especially difficult these days. Our payroll, an important item, has through pay increases nearly doubled its pre-war figure. We have added a great deal of new equipment. Our regular maintenance costs, gasoline, oil, tires, everything – have, with the general trend of commodities, risen steadily. In spite of this, our fare structure has been the same for thirty years. So let’s review the facts: FACT No. 1: No Fare Increase in Over Thirty Years. FACT No. 2: Tremendously Increased Operating Costs. FACT No. 3: Service Not Only Maintained, but Actually Expanded. You can see our problem is a serious one. it amounts to this: How can we continue to furnish transportation at pre-war prices – under present economic chaos. WHAT’S THE ANSWER? Effective Thursday, March 15th The Northwestern Motor Bus Company will make new fare rate adjustments to meet increased demands in costs and expenses! NORTHWESTERN MOTOR BUS COMPANY IRONWOOD Phone 1919 BESSEMER Phone 8821 WAKEFIELD Phone 5741.”
Another item about this company’s founding is from the February 25, 1993, edition of the Ironwood Daily Globe: “Many remember the Northwestern Motor Bus Company, or perhaps the Bessemer Taxi Company. Both of businesses were started in 1919 to serve the transportation needs of the area. . . . Buses ran from International Falls to Green Bay, to the Keweenaw Peninsula and also Marquette on a regular schedule.”
In 1946 the company was running 4 buses over 22 route miles. It served Ironwood, Jessieville, Bonnie, Puritan, Yale, Bessemer, Resettlement, Reno, Grand View, Ramsay, Plymouth and Wakefield, Michigan. In 1956 the company was located in Bessemer, Michigan and was running 5 buses over 14 route miles serving Bessemer, Ironwood and Wakefield. The company was dissolved by the state of Michigan in 1999.
NORTHWESTERN STAGE LINES is a subsidiary of BOISE-WINNEMUCCA STAGES, which was incorporated in Idaho in 1939. Northwestern Stage Lines was incorporated in Idaho in 1946. It is primarily a family owned business with its roots in Boise, Idaho. The company owns nineteen buses and also does business as Northwestern Trailways. Daily route service is between Boise and Spokane, Washington, via Lewiston; Spokane and Seattle/Tacoma via Wenatchee Omak and Ellensburg, Washington.
NUECES TRANSPORTATION CO. succeeded Nueces Railway Company in 1933 operating streetcars and buses in Corpus Christi, Texas, and ran until 1966. The badge is die pressed and has a single threaded post.
Copyright © 2020 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.