BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “P”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
P & E STAGES See Passenger & Express Stages.
P.O. COACH LINES See Penn-Ohio Coach Lines, Inc.
PTC See Provincial Transit Company.
PACE WEST DIVISION is a privately held company in Melrose Park, IL. Pace Suburban Bus. Pace’s family of public transportation services offer affordable and environmentally responsible transit options for the residents of 284 municipalities in Cook, Will, DuPage, Kane, Lake and McHenry counties in Illinois. The backbone of Chicago’s suburbs, Pace serves tens of thousands of daily riders. One of the largest bus services in North America, Pace covers 3,446 square miles, an area nearly the size of the state of Connecticut and about 15 times the size of the City of Chicago. Pace’s innovative approach to public transportation gives the agency a national reputation as an industry leader.
Pace was created by the 1983 RTA Act to unify the numerous disparate suburban bus agencies that existed at that time. In doing so, fares, branding and management were made consistent throughout the region. On July 1, 1984, the consolidated agency began operations as the Suburban Bus Division of the Regional Transportation Authority. A year after that, the brand name ‘Pace’ was established. Pace is governed by a 13 member Board of Directors comprised of current and former suburban mayors and the Commissioner of the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities for the City of Chicago. The badge is made of nickel-plated brass and has two threaded posts.
PACHECO STAGES, INC. This company was running in the early 1920s. It ran from Santa Cruz to Fresno, California . No further info.
PACIFIC AUTO STAGES, INC. was operating in the mid 1920s from San Francisco, California. F.W. Hanchett was the general manager. In May 1930 the company was sold to Pacific Greyhound Lines, Inc.
PACIFIC COAST MOTOR COACH COMPANY was a subsidiary of Southern Pacific Railroad and was operating in the mid 1920s out of Newport Beach, California. It was one of the transit companies that was consolidated on April 12, 1930 to form Pacific Greyhound Lines, Inc. The other companies were California Transit Company (aka Yelloway), Pickwick Stage System, Southern Pacific Motor Transport Co., Oregon Stages, Inc., Peninsula Rapid Transit Co., Pacific Auto Stages, Golden Gate Stages, Calistoga & Clear Lake Stage Co., Kern County Transportation Corp., Coast Auto Lines, Inc., Sierra Nevada Stages, Pacific Auto Stages Inc., and Boyd Stage Line.
PACIFIC COAST TRANSIT COMPANY, LTD. was operating in the 1920s out of the Crocker Building in San Francisco, California. Charles T. White was the president and J. L. Semorile secretary.
PACIFIC ELECTRIC LINES The Pacific Electric Railway was created in 1901 by railroad executive Henry E. Huntington. (Huntington was vice president of Southern Pacific Railroad, which was operated by his uncle, Collis P. Huntington.) Beginning in 1911, the system’s famous Red Cars ran in Southern California and by the 1920s was the largest electric railway system in the world. It consisted of electrically powered streetcars, interurban cars, and buses and operated in the city centers of Los Angeles and San Bernardino, thereby connecting cities in Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County and Riverside County.
The following info is gleaned from Wikepedia and the Electrical Railway Historical Association of Southern California: “Typical of transit systems in the postwar years, Pacific Electric’s operating costs rose faster than its revenue in spite of frequent fare increases. One evident answer was to find a buyer for PE’s passenger service. On March 3, 1 1953, PE announced an agreement to sell its passenger operations, both rail and bus, to Jesse Haugh. Haugh was a former executive of Pacific City Lines, which together with National City Lines, acquired local streetcar systems across the country with the intention of shutting them down and converting them to bus operation in what became known as the “Great American Streetcar Scandal.” Haugh incorporated Metropolitan Coach Lines in California on May 18, 1953, and bought what was left of Pacific Electric’s operations. “The sale was completed on October 1, 1953, with PE’s entire passenger operating rights and all facilities and property related to the bus lines being turned over to Metropolitan Coach Lines. These included the Pasadena, Ocean Park and West Hollywood garages, Macy Street shops, servicing and storage locations at Van Nuys, Sunland, Long Beach (Morgan Avenue) and Echo Park Avenue, stations at Pomona, Riverside and Whittier, and 695 buses.” That was the end of Pacific Electric’s famous Red Cars! In 1946 PC was operating over 906 route miles with 454 electric passenger cars; 451 buses operated over 635 route miles. (For more info on National City Lines, see the entry on this webpage.)
The first badge is is the older of the two pictured; it is hallmarked on the back ORBER MFG. CO. PAWTUCKET R. I. The second badge is made of nickel-plated brass by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY, has a single threaded post and measures approx. 2½” x 2¼”. (Note: some of these badges are unmarked as to maker’s name.) It is one of the most sought-after badges among transit badge collectors and typically sell between $175 and $400.
Pacific Northwest Traction Co., ran in 1927 in Everett, Wash.
PACIFIC SOUTHWESTERN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s. It was headquartered in Los Angeles, California. There is one newspaper notice mentioning this company from the May 30, 1924, edition of the Lompoc Review: “Beginning Sunday, June 1, bus service between Lompoc and the White Hills will be operated under the jurisdiction of the state railway commission, under the firm name of the Pacific Southwestern Transportation company, and all service and schedules maintained in accordance with the rules and regulations governing public carriers. While school children will be carried free as in the past, a one-way 10c fare will be charged adults.”
PACIFIC SCENIC LINES This privately-owned bus company was operating out of Venice, Los Angeles County, California, in the 1960s. In 1965 it was serving Santa Monica and Venice. In 1967 it was serving the University of California LA. On May 8, 1974 Tom W. Barthold filed a fictitious business name statement with the State of California (DBA) under Pacific Scenic Lines, with the business listed in Santa Ana, Orange County, California. The badge is made of nickel-plated metal and has one threaded post.
PACIFIC STAGE LINES Ivor Neil began running a transportation service between New Westminster and White Rock, British Columbia, when he purchased the route in 1919 from Goodman Hamre. Neil incorporated his service as Green Stages Limited on November 1, 1922, extending his service to Vancouver. In 1923 he extended his service between Vancouver and Seattle, Washington running a 15-passenger Pierce Arrow Coach. In 1926 B.C. Motor Transportation Ltd, which was a subsidiary of B.C. Electric Railway, acquired control of Green Stages Ltd and renamed the service Pacific Stage Lines. The company was sold to the BC Government in 1962. In 1979 Pacific Stage Lines was merged with Vancouver Island Coach Lines to form Pacific Coach Lines (1979) Ltd. (An excellent history of the Pacific Stage Lines can be found at the link in this sentence.) The badge has a single threaded post and measures approx. 2¼” x 3½”
PACKARD & DUNBAR TRANSIT ran a bus in 1921 between Greenville and Lily Bay, Maine, and from Greenville to Bangor.
PACKARD STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Los Angeles, California. Charles F. Wren was the manager.
PAINTER BUS LINE, INC. had its beginning in Uvalde, Texas on July 4, 1924. Using a seven passenger Studebaker Red Ball Bus, Walter Painter made a daily 90 mile round trip from Uvalde to San Antonio. The route continued to expand over the coming years to Carrizo Springs, Del Rio, Winter Garden and Eagle Pass. In 1929 the company used the logo “Painter Bus Lines, Inc. Serving 8 County Seats.” In 1933 the company had 12 buses and 23 employees. In February 1964 the company filed with the Texas Railroad Commission and Interstate Commerce Commission to sell to the Kerrville Bus Company. At that time Painter Bus Lines was running 11 buses and had 21 employees. At that time Walter Painter bragged that “we have the best safety record of any bus line in the state of Texas.” The sale went through and Kerrville Bus Company took over in 1966. The badge is hallmarked, and has one threaded post.
PALA STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Oceanside, California. The registered contact was Bertha Bradley.
PALISADE BUS CORPORATION ran in 1933 in Queens, New York City, on Riverdale Ave.
PALISADES BUS LINE was operating out of Los Angeles, California, in the mid 1920s. The owners were Scott and Hess. It ran from Pacific Palisades to Santa Monica.
PALM SPRINGS AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out Palm Springs, California. Charles Crandall was the registered contact.
PALOS VERDES TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was operating in the mid-late 1920s out of Palos Verdes Estates, Los Angeles County, California. It was still in business in 1940.
PANAMA CITY TRANSIT LINES was running in 1952 in Panama City, Florida, according to the 1952 Mass Transportation’s Directory. More information needed. The badge has two threaded posts and was made by the FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO .
PANHANDLE STAGES, INCORPORATED, was founded by A.F. “Dutch” Heket in 1936 in Amarillo, Texas. It operated between Amarillo and Oklahoma City, Okla. The company became part of the Trailway System as Panhandle Traiways and continued until 1948.
PARADOX LAND AND TRANSPORT COMPANY In 1927 this company sought to operate an intercity line between Denver, Colorado, and Amarillo, Texas. The certificate was denied. That same year the company took over operations from the Denver-Limon Bus Lines. In 1928 the company was granted permission to operate a “passenger motor bus line between Denver and a point on the Colorado-Kansas line where U. S. Highway No. 40 crosses such line, also between Denver and Burlington, Colorado.”
PARKWAYS BUS COMPANY, INC. was located in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina, in the mid 1940s. It ran from Salisbury to Winston-Salem over N. C. 150. The company was a carrier for Atlantic Greyhound.
PARLOR DELUXE COACH COMPANY, INC. The only info I have on this company is that it is mentioned in the November 2, 1926, edition of The News Journal from Wilmington, Delaware, as having received a corporation charter. In March 1929 the company was given approval by the New Jersey Board of Public to operate five coaches on an Atlantic City, New Jersey to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania route. That report stated that the company had 30 buses, which coincides with the two numbered badges pictured below. It is not mentioned in the 1935 Russell’s Guide. The badge measures a little over 1½”, is die pressed and has a single threaded post. No maker’s mark on reverse.
PASADENA AREA RAPID TRANSIT / PASADENA TRANSIT Pasadena Transit, formerly known as Pasadena Area Rapid Transit System (ARTS), is a city-operated local bus service in Pasadena, California. It was formed in 1994 coinciding with the kickoff of the World Cup at the Rose Bowl as a free service of the City of Pasadena. In 2003, fares were introduced. In December 2015, the agency changed its name to Pasadena Transit. (Info from Wikipedia.)
PASADENA CITY LINES, INC. succeeded Pacific Electric Railway in 1941 running buses in Pasadena, Los Angles County, California. The service was operated by the infamous National City Lines until it was taken over by new owners in 1963. That company lasted until 1967 when it was succeeded by the Southern California Rapid Transit District (RTD). (For more info on National City Lines, see the entry on this webpage.)
PASADENA-OCEAN PARK STAGE LINE began running auto-buses in 1919 between Pasadena and Ocean Park, California. Over the years it acquired three other stage/bus lines. Along with Original Stage Line and Studio Bus Line, it was bought out in 1939 by the newly-formed Asbury Rapid Transit. Asbury operated in the San Fernando Valley and was acquired in 1954 by Metropolitan Coach Lines, a subsidiary of Pacific Electric Railway.
PASADENA-POMONA STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s from 55 South Fair Oaks Avenue, Pasadena, California. J. H. Lord was the general manager.
PASKENTA AUTO STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s from Paskenta, California. Leo F. Morrell was the registered contact.
PASO ROBLES-ADELAIDE-KLAU STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Paso Robles, California, to San Luis, Obispo. Leslie M. Hardie was the registered contact along with James W. Lemen.
PASO ROBLES-ANNETTE AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s from Paso Robles, California. James W. Lemen was the registered contact.
M. PASSALACQUA’S BENICIA-VALLEJO STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Benicia, California. M. Passalacqua was the owner.
PASSENGER & EXPRESS STAGES / P. & E. STAGES This company was in business in the 1910s operating between Los Angeles and Anaheim, California. It was bought out by Oliver Fuller in 1917 and renamed White Bus Line. (See Motor Transit Company for more details.)
DILLARD M. PATE DELUXE BUS LINE ran in 1926 in French Lick, Indiana. In June 1926 the certificate of operations was transferred to W. A. Kitterel. The Indianapolis Star from Indianapolis, Indiana reported on June 1, 1929, that “The Greyhound Lines, Inc., was authorized to purchase a bus line operated by Dillard M. Pate and W. A. Kittrell between New Albany and French Lick.“
PEACOCK TRANSIT LINES was private intercity company owned by Edward J. Hendricks. It operated out of the Greyhound Terminal in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1952-1956 and ran 2 buses over 38 route miles serving Allendale, Eastmanville and Lamont, Michigan. It is not mention in the 1946 MTD, which indicates that the company had not yet been founded.
PEERLESS STAGE, INC. was operating in the mid 1920s out of Oakland, California, to Alameda. Joseph B. Held was president and manager.
PENINSULA RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was incorporated in San Mateo, California, in December 1914 with a capital of $100,000. It operated a bus line between San Francisco and San Jose, California. In 1928 Pickwick Stages acquired the company and in 1929, Pickwick was acquired by Pacific Greyhound Lines.
PENN BUS COMPANY In 1931 West Penn Railways entered into a joint venture with The Greyhound Corporation and formed a new company called Penn Bus Company, which ran from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Akron, Ohio. In 1931 Potomac Edison Company (PEC) put together a consortium comprising the Blue Ridge Transportation Company, a corporation, White Star Lines, Inc., and Penn Bus Company, a corporation, using the trade name of, “Blue Ridge Lines” (also known as the Blue Ridge System). The back of a 1936 post card, which was postmarked Canton, Ohio and featured a Blue Ridge Lines bus, read: “Blue Ridge Lines a wide spread of territory between Cleveland, Ohio, Baltimore, Md., and Washington, D.C.” Although PEC operated the Blue Ridge Lines, it maintained a fleet of buses under its own name. In 1946 the company operated 65 buses over 265.8 route miles, and it’s president, R. Paul Smith, controlled both companies—as well as Penn Bus Company, which ran 38 buses over 343 route miles, and White Star Lines, which ran 48 buses over 483 route miles. A. F. McDonald was general manager of all four companies. All four companies were still operational in 1956 under the control of R. Paul Smith and A. F. McDonald.
PENN BUS LINES / PENN TRANSIT COMPANY / PTC A brief, but informative (albeit complicated) history of these companies can be found on the Net at this address: Penn Transit Company / the Antique Motor Coach Association of Pennsylvania. However, for this entry, here are the essentials: In 1931 The Greyhound Corporation formed an agreement with West Penn Railways, which had a subsidiary named Penn Bus Lines. The new company was named Penn Bus Company. Penn Bus Company ran the Pittsburgh to Akron portion and Greyhound ran the Akron to Detroit portion of that line. West Penn Railways’ original subsidiary, Penn Bus Lines, operated a line between McKeesport and Sutersville, a small coal mining community about 10 miles up the Youghiogheny River. Penn Bus Lines changed its name to Penn Transit Company in 1934, although it pretty much operated as before. However, in 1937 West Penn Railways sold Penn Transit Company to City Coach Lines, Inc. In 1944 City Coach Lines was dissolved. Each of the company’s principal officers acquired a piece of the company: Penn Transit Company went to Hiram L. Bollum, who also took the Springfield Street Railway in Massachusetts, the York Bus Company and Westside Motor Transit Co. in Pennsylvania. In 1946 Penn Transit Company operated 70 buses over 105 route miles. In 1948 Penn Transit Company took over Westmoreland Transportation Company, which served the New Kensington, Pennsylvania area. Penn Transit Company was acquired by the Port Authority of Allegheny County on March 2, 1964. The badge is made of nickel-plated brass and has two threaded posts.
PENN-OHIO COACH LINES / PENN-OHIO SYSTEM / P.O. COACH LINES Back in 1905 the separate interurban lines of the Mahoning and Shenango River Valleys of Ohio and Pennsylvania were organized into the Mahoning & Shenango Railway and Light Company. In 1920 it was renamed the Pennsylvania-Ohio Electric Company and its trains passenger and streetcars provided service to Youngstown, Girard, Niles and Warren, Ohio, and New Castle and Sharon, Pennsylvania. In 1923 Penn-Ohio Edison Co., Inc. acquired Pennsylvania-Ohio Electric Co. as a subsidiary. The company’s streetcar system was renamed Penn-Ohio System. In the early 1920’s the Penn-Ohio System officials began formulating plans to replace the streetcars with more economical bus service. The result was the Pennsylvania-Ohio Coach Lines, Inc., which was chartered on November 6, 1922. (The incorporators were Mark Pendleton, C.D. Smith and Thomas W. Flannigan.) The company was known as the P.O. Coach Lines. It is mentioned in the September 13, 1924, issue of Electric Railway Journal: “Pennsylvania-Ohio Electric Company: Pennsylvania-Ohio Coach Lines Company: Luxurious Vehicles Factor in Success Distribution of vehicles over the routes has been made with a view toward supplying an emergency bus should the occasion demand. Assigned to the Youngstown-Warren line are nine buses with a seating capacity for 18 passengers each, while six buses are scheduled. . . . In designing the bus an attempt has been made to have it appear as much like a private automobile as possible. This principle has been carried out in the body design, while the exterior has been painted a dark blue. It is felt that extremely gaudy colors are not suitable inasmuch as a man would not have the same colors on a private automobile. The insignia of the P-O Coach Lines Company is in red and gold on the front door on each side of the bus. While conspicuous enough, it is not overly pretentious. The interior is finished with the latest appointments, with genuine blue leather upholstering on the seats and Pullman car carpet on the floor. The hardware is of polished aluminum. The whole vehicle gives one the impression of a luxuriously appointed private automobile. A glass partition separates the driver’s vestibule from the body proper. It is arranged to slide open in order to aid ventilation. The driver’s compartment contains only the driver’s seat, no provision being made for carrying passengers in this space. The space to the right of the driver’s seat is often used for carrying hand baggage or small packages which are the property of the passengers. Ample baggage carrying accommodations are provided at the rear by an enclosed dust-proof compartment projecting beyond the body. On the short Warren and Sharon routes the usual amount of hand baggage is accommodated in the space adjacent to the driver’s seat.”
The company was absorbed in 1945 by Ohio Greyhound Lines, which was itself consolidated in 1948 into Central Greyhound Lines, and that was consolidated in 1955 with the Eastern Division of Greyhound. There are two different versions of the Penn-Ohio System’s company’s badge—one with a number plate and one without. Both are brass with enamel, have a pin back and were made by W&H Co. (Whitehead and Hoag).
The P.O., or Penn-Ohio Coach Lines badge measures approx. 2″ x 1½”, is made of solid nickel by W. & H. Co. (Whitehead and Hoag) and is a pin back.
PENNSYLVANIA-READING MOTOR LINES, INC. See Reading Company.
PENNOYER’S DESCANSO & ALPINE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Guatay, California, to San Diego. C.H. Pennoyer was the owner.
PEOPLE’S MOTORBUS COMPANY was founded in 1923 in St. Louis, Missouri, by John D. Hertz, who also founded the Yellow Cab Company in Chicago, which he franchised throughout the United States. In New York Hertz established The Omnibus Corporation to control both the Chicago Motor Coach Company and the Fifth Avenue Coach Company. In 1934 People’s Motorbus Company was sold to the St. Louis Public Service Company, which ran streetcars in St. Louis.
PEOPLE’S MOTOR COACH COMPANY was formed in 1924 by the Detroit United Railway Company, which was an electric interurban rail line. Dr. D. B. Rushing, in his article on Great Lakes Greyhound, writes: “The purpose of the new concern was to enable its parent firm, a railway business, to reduce its operating costs and expenses and to strengthen its competitive position against an increasing number of rivals operating buses on the developing and improving roads. . . . During the following years the PMC Company developed an extensive bus system, mostly by the acquisition of existing smaller companies, operating along both suburban and intercity routes.” In 1928 the Detroit United Railway Company was renamed Eastern Michigan Railways, and the People’s Motor Coach Company was renamed Eastern Michigan Motorbuses. (See entries for White Star Motor Bus Company, Blue Goose Lines and Eastern Michigan Motorbuses, Inc.
PEOPLE’S RAILWAY COMPANY / PEOPLE’S TRANSIT COMPANY People’s Railway Company was chartered in 1896 as a consolidation of the Wayne & Fifth Street Railroad Company and the White Street Rail Road Company in Dayton, Ohio. In 1899 the company was acquired by American Railways Company. In 1940, after the conversion of all its streetcars lines to trolley buses, the company was renamed People’s Transit Company. In 1945 the company was running 44 trolleybuses over 39 route miles. That same year People’s Transit Company was sold to City Railway Company, although it was listed as still operating under its name in the 1946-1947 MTD. In 1955 City Railway Company merged with Dayton & Xenia Railway Company, forming City Transit Company. In 1972 City Transit Company became the publicly owned Miami Valley Regional Transit Authority, which, in 2003, was renamed Greater Dayton Regional Transit Authority.
PEOPLES RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was incorporated on August 21, 1925, by the Mitten Interests in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The company was the creation of Thomas E. Mitten, who took over Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company in 1911. A notice in the September 1928 edition of Railway Age gives this background info: “The Peoples Rapid Transit Company, known under the name of ‘Mitten Tours,’ operates in interstate travel only between Philadelphia and Atlantic City, New York, Washington, Wilmington, Doylestown and Easton, with summer tours to Niagara Falls and Quebec.” The Peoples Rapid Transit continued operations until December, 1929, when it was sold to the Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines. It was Thomas Mitten’s shady management practices that had forced the sale of the company. Indeed, on April 11, 1931, after the death of Thomas E. Mitten and the revelations of diversion of funds and accounting irregularities, Judge Harry S. McDevitt appointed trustees to manage the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company. In November of that year the same judge issued a final judgement against Mitten Management, Inc. attaching Thomas E. Mitten’s entire estate for the benefit of Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company. (Information from “The history of bus transportation between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland” by John M. Kemper, and A General Chronology of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company Its Predecessors and Successors and Its Historical Context, by Christopher T. Baer, 1931.)
The Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines, which owned the entire capital stock of the Montgomery Bus Company and the Peoples Rapid Transit Company, continued operating the companies under their own names. Peoples Rapid Transit Company was still operating in 1939, when its schedules are shown in Russell’s Official National Motor Coach Guide.
PEOPLES RAPID TRANSIT LINES / P.R.T. LINES was a Michigan intercity bus company running in the 1930s. Harry J Bemis is listed as manager in the 1935 Kalamazoo City Directory. In 1946 the company was serving Kalamazoo, Ligonier, Holland, Vicksburg, Lawton, South Haven, South Bend, Buchanan and Cassopolis, Michigan, with 20 buses over 304 route miles.
PEOPLES TRANSPORT COMPANY According to page one of the Tuesday, April 11, 1933, edition of the Lansing State Journal, from Lansing, Michigan, this company began operations around circa 1921-1922 in Muskegon, Michigan:
“The Peoples Transport company has been in the transportation field in this city for more than a decade. For several years prior to the discontinuance of the street car system, the company operated buses over some auxiliary routes not served by the electric lines. When street car service was abandoned in Muskegon October 1, 1930, the complete transportation responsibilities of the city were granted the Peoples Transport company by the city commission. New equipment was put into operation and the city commission reported satisfactory service was given.”
In 1930, when streetcars were discontinued, Peoples Transport Company took over city operations from the Muskegon Traction & Lighting Company, which had been in service since 1905. In 1946 the company operated 62 buses over 42 route miles. In 1956 the company ran 59 buses over 45 route miles. Peoples Transport Company lasted until Thursday, November 1, 1956, when, because of dwindling revenues, it was taken over by the Muskegon City Coach Lines (Muskegon City Coach Lines was owned by City Coach Lines, Inc., which also operated bus service in Grand Rapids and Flint.) The badge shown below is made of nickel-plated metal with two threaded posts.
PEORIA CITY LINES, INC. / PEORIA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / PEORIA TRANSIT LINES, INC. In 1946 Illinois Power Company sold its Peoria, Illinois, transit operations to Peoria Transportation Company, which had ties with ties to the infamous National City Lines. As was the policy of National City Lines, all remaining streetcars and trolleybuses were replaced with buses. In 1950 Peoria Transportation Company changed hands, with Peoria Transit Lines, Inc. taking over. However, the new company also had ties to the National City Lines. (In 1954 this company was running 110 buses over 185 route miles.) The musical chair game continued when, in 1955, Peoria Transit Lines sold to Transit Casualty Company, which was largely owned by National City Lines. The company was renamed Peoria City Lines. In 1956 the company was operating 87 buses over 116 route miles. In 1964 this company was acquired by new owners. In 1970 Peoria City Lines became the publicly owned Greater Peoria Mass Transit District. The badge shown here is the typical design for National City Lines companies. It has two threaded posts, was made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R.I. and measures 2½” x 2½”.
PEORIA-ROCKFORD BUS COMPANY, LLC. / CENTRAL TRAILWAYS / ROCKFORD COACH LINES Peoria-Rockford Bus Company was founded in 1934 and, as the name says, originally ran between Peoria and Rockford, Illinois. The early company was operated by John Shosie, who acted as president, and Milton O. Shosie, who was the general manager. In the 1930s the company operated out of the United Bus Depot in Peoria, Illinois. In 1937 the company joined National Trailways as Central Trailways and continued until 1942 as a member. In 1939 the company (operating as Central Trailways) served Milwaukee, Lake Geneva, Rockford, LaSalle, Wenona, Kankakee, Bloomington and Peoria. In 1943 the company acquired the Charter Coach Company, and absorbed its routes.In 1954 the company ran 29 buses over 350 route miles and had by then moved its operations to Rockford, Illinois. In 1955 the company acquired Carbondale-Harrisburg Coach Line. In 1957 the company was owned by Frank McCreary, who also owned the American Coach Company of Skokie. By 1964 the company was operating a shuttle from Rockford to Chicago’s O’Hare Airport. The company was bought out by Greyhound Lines in 2002 and renamed Rockford Coach Lines. In 2004 what was left of the company’s routes were sold to Steve Van Galder’s Van Galder Bus Company of Janesville, Wisconsin, some 35 miles away.
PEORIA-SPRINGFIELD MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY Frank A. Heermans of Mattoon, Illinois, was one of the founders of this company. On March 3, 1921, the company is mentioned in a dispute with another bus company, where it was noted that it retained offices in Peoria, Illinois. “BARTONVILLE BUS LINE transporting passengers between Bartonville and the terminus of the line of the Peoria Railway Company under a certificate of convenience and necessity. The record also shows that the petitioner does not propose to operate in competition with the South Pekin & Pekin Bus & Transfer Company, which is engaged in the transportation of persons and property between Pekin and South Pekin under a certificate.” In March 1921 the company was given a certificate of operation of a bus line and a truck line from Peoria through Bartonville, Pekin, Green Valley, Allen, Mason City, Greenview, Athens, Barr and to and through the city of Springfield, Illinois.
PEORIA TRANSIT LINES, INC. See Peoria City Lines.
PEORIA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY See Peoria City Lines.
PESCADERO & SANTA CRUZ STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Santa Cruz, California. G.A. McCrory was the registered contact.
PETALUMA-SONOMA VALLEY STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Petaluma, California. A. Hanson was the registered contact.
PETALUMA VALLEY FORD AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Petaluma, California, to Sonoma. G.E. Hunt was the registered contact.
PETERS MOTOR BUS COMPANY There’s almost no info on this company. It was mentioned in a 1928 Nashville, Tennessee, newspaper.
PETERS & OWENS BUS LINE ran in 1921 between Philipsburg and Allport, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania. It was owned by George Peters and W.T. Owens.
PETER PAN BUS LINES was founded by Italian immigrant Peter Carmine Picknelly. From the company’s website is this information: “In 1920, [Picknelly started] his first small transit company, Orange Valley Bus Company, in East Orange, NJ. Five years later, Peter and three other jitney operators pooled their resources, relocated to New England and opened a larger transportation service in Hartford, CT, named Interstate Busses Corporation. [In the 1970’s Interstate Busses Corporation changed its name to Bonanza Bus Lines. Ironically, Peter Pan acquired Bonanza Bus Lines in 2003.] Once this company was successfully established, Peter [Picknelly] sold his interest in Interstate Busses to his partners in 1932, and opened his own independent bus line in Springfield, MA in the spring of 1933. He named his new company ‘Peter Pan Bus Lines‘ after his children’s favorite bedtime story, ‘Peter Pan’ by Sir James M. Barrie. Peter Pan’s original fleet consisted of four 1933 Buick jitney vehicles, and offered service between Northampton and Boston via Stafford Springs, CT, a roundabout route that took over 3½ hours with a round-trip fare of $3.50 . . . By 1940, Peter Pan finally won approval from the State of Massachusetts to operate from Springfield, MA direct to Boston along Route 20, cutting the travel time to a more manageable 2½ hours. . . . By 1963, Peter Pan experienced its first year achieving $1 million dollars in sales, with an expanded route service and a fleet of 28 vehicles. In January, 1964, upon the death of founder Peter C. Picknelly, the company helm was passed on to his then-33-year-old son, Peter Louis Picknelly. . . . In order to house his growing operations, in 1969, Peter L. constructed the current bus terminal in Springfield, MA, which was also the first terminal in the United States to include both Greyhound and Trailways service under one roof, spawning the modern day concept of intermodal transportation. (This terminal was later renamed the “Peter L. Picknelly Transportation Center” in his honor in 2005). . . . Peter Pan continued to grow throughout the 1980s, acquiring over a half-dozen transportation companies throughout New England. [In 1985 the company acquired Trailways of New England / New England Trailways] . . . With a firmly-established, excellent reputation for great service as well as safety, Peter Pan was selected to transport then-1992 Presidential candidate Bill Clinton and his running mate Al Gore for the ‘First 1,000 Miles’ of their historic whistle-stop bus tour from the convention in New York City to the American heartland. . . During the 1990’s, Peter Pan acquired American Coach Lines in Washington, DC, opened an office and maintenance facility in our Nation’s capital, and further expanded our service to Washington DC, Baltimore . . . By 2003, Peter Pan again doubled in size with the acquisition of the New England division of Coach USA, incorporating Arrow Lines, Boston Coach and Bonanza Bus Lines, thereby expanding the company’s fleet to over 300 coaches, with sales of over $2 million dollars per week. . . . Today, Peter Pan’s 300+ coaches travel over 25 million miles every year, or the equivalent of nearly 100 trips to the moon annually….translating to one of our buses traveling around the world 3 times every day!“
PETOSKEY-HARBOR SPRINGS BUS LINE In the 1930s Harry Smith operated this company, which ran from Petoskey to Harbor Springs to Indian River, Michigan. In the 1940s Harry Smith was running a company named Harry Smith’s Bus Line with the same route as Petoskey-Harbor Springs Bus Line; the latter company may have undergone a change of names.
PETROLIA STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s from Upper Mattole, California. It was founded by J. F. Gardiner and Elmer C. Gardiner.
PETTAS – DENNIS AUTO STAGE There’s nothing much on this company other than it was operating in the mid 1920s out of Pittsburg, California, and ran to Contra Costa.
PHILADELPHIA & LEHIGH VALLEY TRACTION COMPANY See Lehigh Valley Transit Company.
PHILADELPHIA RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY / PRT (Information for this background is excepted from Archival Collection at Hagley Museum and Library.) This company was created on May 1, 1902, and took over operations from Union Traction Company, which had been running electric streetcars in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania since 1895. In 1911 the management of the company was taken over by Thomas E. Mitten, who would expand the company with a series of subsidiaries. In 1912, Mayor Rudolph Blankenberg established a Department of City Transit, which produced a master plan for a comprehensive system of subway and elevated lines to be built by the city and leased to Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company for operation. On June 25, 1923, Philadelphia Rural Transit Company was formed by PRT to operate buses in the city and into the suburbs of Philadelphia. The first rubber-tired trackless trolleys ran on Oregon Avenue on October 14, 1923. Interurban bus service between New York and Philadelphia was begun by the Peoples Rapid Transit Company in 1924 and later extended to Washington, D.C. and Atlantic City. Mitten’s further expansions are noted in the March 3 1928 issue of the Electric Railway Journal: “The Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company, Philadelphia, Pa., has agreed to pay $1,825,000 for the Quaker Cab Company and three suburban bus lines. This was disclosed in a petition filed by the railway with the Public Service Commission for approval of the purchase of the four carriers. The proposed deal includes the purchase of 5,000 shares of the outstanding stock in the Quaker City Cabs, Inc.; 4,510 shares of the Montgomery Bus Company, Inc.; 1,000 shares of the Philadelphia Suburban Transit Company, and 200 shares of the Doylestown & Easton Motorcoach.” The Montgomery Bus Company and the Philadelphia Suburban Transit Company extended bus service into the western suburbs previously the exclusive preserve of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Thomas Mitten also planned bus service into the New Jersey suburbs via the new (1926) Delaware River Bridge through the medium of the PennJersey Rapid Transit Company.
Like many entrepreneurs of the late 1920s, Thomas Mitten was able to control his empire with a small real outlay by a series of pyramiding companies and by using the holdings of the employee stock fund. To perfect this control, the Philadelphia Investment Company was formed on December 1, 1925, and renamed the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company Securities Company on April 13, 1926, and the Mitten Bank Securities Corporation on June 28, 1927. As ridership began to contract after 1926, and the system became more unstable, Mitten began to sell assets to raise money. A 75 percent interest in the Peoples Rapid Transit Company and the western bus lines was sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad late in 1928, although it remained under Mitten Management. The PennJersey Rapid Transit Company was sold to Public Service Co-ordinated Transport of New Jersey in 1929. Negotiations for the sale of PRT to the city commenced in 1927.
In September 1929, the City of Philadelphia began a suit against Mitten and the PRT, charging Mitten Management with excessive fees and diversion of funds and demanding an independent audit. On the morning of October 1, 1929, Mitten was found drowned in a lake at his Pocono summer home. Ruling on the city’s allegations, the court ordered the appointment of trustees for PRT on April 11, 1931.The company filed for bankruptcy on October 1, 1934. After Mitten’s death, the remaining interest in the Peoples Rapid Transit Company was sold to the PRR‘s Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines in 1930.
Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company was reorganized as the Philadelphia Transportation Company on January 1, 1940. In March 1955 majority control of PTC was acquired by National City Lines, Inc., a transit holding company organized by General Motors and the oil and rubber companies for the purpose of buying street car systems and replacing them with fleets of GM buses. National City Lines purchased 1,00 new buses between 1955 and 1957, retired 600 old trolleys, discontinued twenty-four car lines, and removed over 200 miles of street railway. However, more streetcar routes survived than in other systems reorganized by National City Lines, primarily because of the subway-surface lines and a non-NCL faction on the board of directors.
In 1963, the state finally authorized counties to combine to establish transit authorities and acquire private transportation companies, and on February 17, 1964, Delaware County joined the SEPACT partners to form the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA). The new authority decided on an outright purchase of PTC, on the assumption that public employees were forbidden to strike. A dispute over the value of PTC’s assets delayed the purchase of PTC, which occurred on September 30, 1968. On January 29, 1970, SEPTA purchased the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company from the Taylor family at what amounted to a forced sale. Popularly known as the Red Arrow Lines, PSTC was essentially a small but successful family business that had been formed on April 13, 1936, by the merger of several trolley companies.
There are several known badges. The first group is from the early years of the company. The second group includes an early badge, a die-pressed badge with a single threaded post, that probably dates from the 1930s-1940, and another badge, also die-pressed with a single threaded post, that dates from the 1950s. This is followed by a bus badge that is die-pressed with a single threaded post that dates from the 1930s. The last badge is also die-pressed with a single threaded post that dates from the 1930-1940s.
PHILADELPHIA RURAL TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was incorporated by Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company in 1923 to operate motor buses in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, area. (See the above entry for more information.) The badge is die pressed brass, has one threaded post with two folding clips. (Some badges are lacking the folding clips.)
PHILADELPHIA SUBURBAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. / RED ARROW LINES, INC. Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company was incorporated in 1936 and succeeded the Philadelphia & West Chester Traction Company. It operated buses, streetcars and commuter rail lines from Philadelphia to a number of surrounding suburbs. The company acquired several companies for its operations including Ardmore & Llanerch Street Railway, Philadelphia & Garrettford Street Railway Company and its bus subsidiary, Aronimink Transportation Company. The company used both the name Red Arrow Lines as well as its own. After a prolonged strike in 1960 by Southern Pennsylvania Bus Company employees, the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company formed a subsidiary named Red Arrow Lines, Inc. This subsidiary purchased Southern Pennsylvania Bus Company and resumed bus service on June 30, 1960. Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company/Red Arrow Lines, Inc. was taken over in 1970 by Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, or SEPTA. (See Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company for more information.) There are two known badges. The older badge has one threaded post and was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY; the newer badge also has a single threaded post and was made by WHITEHEAD – HOAG NEWARK NEW JERSEY.
PHILADELPHIA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / PTC was the successor to the Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company and operated a citywide system of bus, trolley, and trackless trolley routes from 1940 until 1968. (See the above entry for Philadelphia Rapid Transit Company for more information.) The company was established on January 1, 1940, by the merger of the Pennsylvania Rapid Transit and several smaller, then-independent transit companies operating in and near the city. It operated a citywide system of bus, trolley, and trackless trolley routes. In 1955, majority control of PTC was acquired by the notorious National City Lines holding company, which had a record of replacing trolleys with buses in other cities. NCL followed suit in Philadelphia. In 1954, the PTC trolley system included 45 lines, using more than 1,500 trolley cars. Between 1954 and 1958, three-fourths of the trolley lines were abandoned, and 984 trolley cars had been scrapped, replaced by 1,000 new buses. The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) was established in 1964, as part of efforts by the Pennsylvania legislature to coordinate government subsidies to various transit and railroad companies in southeastern Pennsylvania. SEPTA acquired the Philadelphia Transportation Company in 1968, taking possession of PTC at noon on September 30, 1968. The total price paid to PTC stockholders for the purchase was $47.9 million (equivalent to $337 million in 2017). The badge is die pressed, has two threaded posts, measures 2¼” x 1¾” and is hallmarked S. E. EBY CO. Philadelphia PA UNION MADE. (Newer badges don’t have the words “UNION MADE” under the maker’s name.)
PHILIPS BUS LINE was based in Eros, Louisiana and served Chatham to Farmerville, Louisiana, in the 1950s.
PHILIPSBURG MOTOR BUS COMPANY served Philipsburg, Pennsylvania, and neighboring communities. It was founded by Alvin R. Bush and Thomas C. Calbraith in Philipsburg, Pennsylvania in 1921. (Alvin Bush would later move to New York where he bought the Olean, Bradford & Salamanca Bus Line, Inc.) In 1931 Alvin Bush, with financial backing, bought the Williamsport Transportation Company in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and served as president and general manager. (Alvin Bush was also a U.S. Congressman from Pennsylvania from 1951-1959.)
PHOENIX STREET RAILWAY / PHOENIX TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM provided streetcar service in Phoenix, Arizona, from 1887 to 1948. The company’s motto was, “Ride a Mile and Smile the While.” The line was founded in 1887 by Moses Hazeltine Sherman and used horse-drawn carts. By 1893 the company had completely electrified its system. The line was popular with the locals and was partly responsible for the growth patterns observed in the early history of Phoenix. In 1925 the company had 33.6 miles of track on six lines. That June of that same year the city of Phoenix purchased the Phoenix Street Railway. On October 3, 1947, a catastrophic fire destroyed most of the streetcar fleet and the city decided to replace streetcars with buses. In 1948 the city announced that “As the newest chapter in its [transit] development, Feb. 17, 1948, has been set as the date for a complete transformation from the ‘old’ Phoenix Street Railway to the ‘new and modern Phoenix Transportation System.” (Note: the 1946-47 MTD shows transit service for Phoenix was provided by Phoenix Transportation System. It was running 17 electric streetcars over 12 miles of track and 62 buses over 77 route miles.) In 1958 the privately owned Valley Transit Lines took over bus service. (The company was owned by American Transit Company.) In 1971 the city took control of the transit lines. The badge is a pin back / with hook, and is made of nickel.
PICKETT SERVICE COMPANY was an intercity bus company operating between Richmond and Camp Pickett, Virginia. The company was active in the 1950s and J. H. Rand was the general manager. In October 1969 it suspended service. The badge is nickel plated brass and has two threaded posts.
PICKWICK STAGE LINES / PICKWICK STAGES, INC. / PICKWICK CORPORATION / PICKWICK-GREYHOUND LINES In 1912 A. L. Hayes began an auto-bus company carrying passengers between San Diego and Escondido, California. In 1911 Charles Wesley Grise founded The Limited San Diego, Imperial Valley Auto Stage, that ran between San Diego and El Centro, California. In 1914 Hayes and Grise merged their operations and named their business Pickwick Stages. In 1917 Hayes bought out Grise’s share of the company and reorganized it as Pickwick Stage Line. In 1916 Charles F. Wren started an intercity line from San Diego to San Fernando and later to Santa Barbara and finally to San Francisco and Portland, Oregon. A few years later Wren and Hayes consolidated their businesses, with Wren renaming his operation Pickwick Northern Division, Inc., with Hayes naming his operation (called the Southern operation) under the name Pickwick Stage, Inc. The two divisions were operating under the holding company Pickwick Corporation. The website COACHBUILT offers further information: “Both firms’ operations were publicly operated under the Pickwick Stage Line moniker. The 1922 (fiscal July 1, 1921- June 31, 1922) Report of the Board of Railroad Commissioners of the State of California contained the following information in regards to the Pickwick Stages:
“Pickwick Stages, Incorporated. A. L. Hayes. First and E streets., San Diego, California.
“Pickwick Stages, Northern Division, Incorporated. C. F. Wren, General Manager. 506 South Los Angeles street, Los Angeles.
“The Pickwick Stages, Northern Division, Incorporated, operating between Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Portland, reports the gross revenue of $888,847, total operating expenses in the sum of $330,005; or a net revenue of $8,842 on an investment of approximately $200,000 or a little in excess of 4 per cent.
“The Pickwick Corporation was organized under the laws of California on December 16, 1922 as a holding company to consolidate Wren’s various business enterprises. Soon after he reorganized Pickwick Stages’ Northern and Southern divisions as Pickwick Stages, Northern Division, Inc. and Pickwick Stages, Southern Division, Inc. Pickwick Corp.’s acquisition of wealth was rapid. During 1923 its stages carried 422,000 passengers with a total revenue of $1,364,317. By 1924 the line claims to have tripled the number of passengers carried to 1,174,000 passengers, producing a total revenue of $2,560,000. The corporation listed its assets at $2,000,000 with a reported profit of $325,000 in 1924.“
In 1928 Pickwick entered a joint venture with Motor Transit Corporation, which was renamed The Greyhound Corporation in 1929-1930, to form Pickwick-Greyhound Lines. Greyhound historian Dr. D. B. “Doc” Rushing gives some background: “For a short time during 1927–28, there was also a third subsidiary (of the [Motor Transit Corporation] using the name of the Greyhound Lines, Inc. – the GLI of Delaware, which came into existence to buy the Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines, running between Chicago and Kansas City via Saint Louis (the two latter in Missouri), and which became renamed as the Pickwick-Greyhound Lines, after the Pickwick Corporation bought a one-half ownership interest in that firm (hence the hyphenated name).”
Charles F. Wren also owned the Pickwick Motor Coach Works, Ltd., which was Pickwick’s in-house bus body builder. It was this company that introduced the famous Pickwick Nite Coach, which was designed and built by Pickwick’s designer and superintendent of body works, Dwight E. Austin in 1928. (These super coaches were sold to The Greyhound Corporation for use on a number of cross country routes and remain one of the most famous motor coaches of all time.) The demise of both Pickwick Stage Line and Pickwick-Greyhound Lines, is reported on UtahRails.com: “In February 1932, Pickwick Corporation of Los Angeles declared bankruptcy. At the time Pickwick was the largest intercity bus company in the United States. Beginning in 1927-1928, Pickwick had expanded, by way of public highways, from Portland to Los Angeles, and San Diego, and from Los Angeles to El Paso, and from El Paso to Kansas City and St. Louis. Many of the routes were operated in cooperation with Greyhound as a separate company known as Pickwick-Greyhound, which failed at the same time as Pickwick. . . . On February 9, 1932, Union Pacific Stages, as a subsidiary of Union Pacific Railroad, purchased the routes of Pickwick-Greyhound Lines, Inc. between Denver and Salt Lake City, and between Salt Lake City and Los Angeles.”
PICTOU COUNTY ELECTRIC CO. LTD. ran trolleys in Pictou County, Nova Scotia, in the 1920s. Buses came in the 1930s. There are two badges pictured here. The badge on the left is the older of the two.
PIEDMONT STAGE LINE, INC. was operating in the mid 1920s in North Carolina. Originally “it was intended to be a combination of pooled equipment of the original carriers on this line, and in addition thereto four busses of the United Stage Lines, Inc., but it appears that only Kirk’s Auto Bus Service, the Charlotte-Concord Bus Line, and the United Stage Lines, Inc., actually became parties to its operation.” A. B. C. Kirk was the president/owner.
PIERCE ARROW STAGE / PIERCE ARROW STAGES / PIERCE ARROW AUTO STAGE was founded prior to 1916 by Alonzo L. “Bud” Richardson, Jr. (1905-1951) in Placerville, California. In early records the company is referred to as “Pierce Arrow Stage” and then later as “Pierce Arrow Stages”, which might reflect the point that Richardson started out with one auto-bus (a 7-passenger Pierce Arrow automobile) and then added more until he was operating a fleet. Primarily the company ran a route from Placerville to Lake Tahoe, via Sacramento. In October 1916 the Star Auto Stage Association of Sacramento, Stockton, Turlock and Modesto filed articles of incorporation with the State of California. The purpose of the association was to bring all four terminal points under one board of directors. Member companies turned over control in exchange for stock in the association: “Cars will be operated under schedule, system will prevail in all departments even down to the repairing of cars, maintenance of a service station, accessory depot and bus agencies if it is deemed advisable. The beard of directors for the first year is composed of John A. Ohman, Harry Fuck and W. G. Medlin, of Sacramento, and Charles N. Wade and Jacob Sweet of Stockton. The charter members are; Morris Halsern, Joseph Rutfeller, J. A. Ohman. Harry Buck, C. R. Spickard, K. G. Medlin, all of Sacramento; J. C. Larsen, E. Tlurton, J. Sweet, L. C. Huston, C. X. Wade and W. H. Pimentel. all of StockJton; M. W. Young. M. L. Osborn and O. S. Hurlbut, all of Modesto, and E. A. Nicholson of Turlock.“
Richardson’s Pierce Arrow Stage was one of the early members, having joined within the first year of the association’s existence. (This is noted in a 1919 report of the California Public Utilities Commission: “The operation of the [Pierce Arrow Stage] line is under the charge of A. L. Richardson, a member of the Star Auto Stage Association, who formerly operated the line as the Pierce-Arrow Auto Stage but transferred the operative right to the Star Auto Stage Association prior to May 1. 1917.“
The next chapter of the company’s history comes from an annual report of the California Auto Stage and Truck Department of the Railroad Commission for the years 1923-1924. That report noted that California Transit Company, “which had acquired the rights of Star Auto Stage Company, a corporation, which had purchased the many lines of the Star Auto Stage Association, bought the rights of Valley Transit Company.” That purchased occurred in 1920: “In 1920 Wesley Elgin “Buck” Travis (1870-1952) bought out Star Auto Stage Association’s then fifty-four members, combining the companies and incorporating as the Star Auto Company, which he later renamed California Transit Company.” How Travis’ purchase of Star Auto Stage Association affected Pierce Arrow Stages isn’t known, except that the company continued operating with A.L. Richardson at its helm. At some point in the early 1920s, Richardson entered into a business arrangement with the Oakland, Antioch & Eastern Railway to transport passengers to Lake Tahoe via his bus line. (Info from surviving postcards of the period.) By 1927 Richardson had built a popular family tourist resort at Lake Tahoe, which he named Camp Richardson, and which was the ultimate destination of Pierce Arrow Stages. (Today Camp Richardson is listed as an unincorporated community at the south end of Lake Tahoe, California. In 1927 Richardson served as the community’s first postmaster.) Pierce Arrow Stages was still running in the 1930s, and in the 1939 Russell’s Guide it is listed as a connecting bus line for Pacific Greyhound Lines, serving Placerville, Lake Tahoe, Camp Richardson, Fallen Leaf Lodge, Tahoe Tavern and on to Reno, Nevada. At some point in the early 1940s the company had disappeared.
PIERCE BUS LINES, INC. was founded by Frederick W. Pierce in the early 1930s in Walpole, Massachusetts. Its original route ran from Walpole to Boston—a distance of about 27 miles, and from Boston to Providence—a distance of some 51 miles. In 1946 the company was running 12 buses over 20 route miles serving Hyde Park-Dedham, Walpole-Norwood, East Walpole and South Walpole; it was still operating in 1959.
PIERCE TRANSIT or the Pierce County Public Transportation Benefit Area Corporation, provides public transit service in Tacoma and Pierce County, Washington. It was founded in 1980 and succeeded Tacoma Transit System.
PILLION & SHIBLA BUS COMPANY was an intercity bus company running in New Jersey in the 1930s. The earliest mention of the company on the Net was an advert dating to July 1937 noting their service between Lakewood and Asbury Park, New Jersey. The July 8, 1942 Asbury Park Press from Asbury Park, New Jersey, gives some insight here: “Commencing Friday, July 10, Pillion & Shibla Bus Co., now owned by the same interests controlling the Coast Cities Coaches, Inc., will then operate between Asbury Park and Seaside Park. This service will substitute for that rendered by Pillion & Shibla between Asbury Park and Point Pleasant, and by the Pennsylvania Greyhound Bus Company between Point Pleasant and Seaside Park.” In 1946 Pillion & Shibla Bus Company was located in Neptune City, which was the headquarters of Coast Cities Coaches, and was running 3 buses over 46 route miles. The company also shared the same management team as Coast Cities Coaches. It was still operating in 1954, but is not listed in the 1956 MTD.
PINE HILL KINGSTON BUS CORPORATION / PIN HILL KINGSTON TRAILWAYS This company had its beginnings in the 1910s-early 1920s and was founded by John B. Winne, who ran a Stanley Motor Carriage —a “Stanley Steamer”—between Pine Hill and Kingston, New York. In 1922 the company was bought by brothers Russ and Levan “Bub” Merrihew. In 1927 the Merrihews bought the Longyear bus line, which served the Woodstock area, and later extended this to Margaretville, New York. In 1931 they offered direct service from Margaretville to New York City – two buses daily in each direction. Over the coming years they extended the company routes and was serving Oneonta and Cooperstown. In 1946 the company was running routes that included Margaretville, Arkville, Fleischmanns, Highmount, Pine Hill, Big Indian, Shandaken, Allaben, Phoenicia, Mt. Tremper, Cold Brook, Boiceville, West Shokan, Olive Bridge, Shokan, Ashokan, Glenford, West Hurley, Stony Hollow and Kingston. In 1956 the company was running 16 buses over 187 route miles. After the death of the Merrihew brothers in 1944 and 1963, the company was sold in 1964 to Adirondack Trailways. It joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1966 and is still in operation. (For more information see TRAILWAYS OF NEW YORK and ADIRONDACK TRAILWAYS.)
PINE RIDGE ROAD PASSENGER LINE, INC. was operating a bus line in California in 1923. No other info.
PINO GRANDE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Placerville, California. B.S. Albush was the registered contact.
PIONEER AUTO STAGE LINE was operating in the late 1920s-early 1930s out of Colusa, California. J. A. Manor was the registered contact.
PIONEER BUS COMPANY was a bus operator in the borough of Brooklyn, New York City, up to October 21, 1979. It was originally organized as a school bus operator in 1955, but in 1960 began operating local bus route B100 from Mill Basin to the Kings Highway subway station on the BMT Brighton Line in Brooklyn. In 1972, express bus service from Brooklyn to Manhattan was added to Pioneer’s single local route. On October 22, 1979, its routes were taken over by Command Bus Company.
PIONEER-SOUTHWESTERN STAGES, INC. received a certificate of operation for a passenger stage line between Denver, Colorado, and Los Angeles, California, on June 22. 1928. The company was operating in New Mexico by April 11, 1930, at which time one of its buses was involved in a fatal collision with a AT&SF train the Isleta crossing in Bernallilo County. Since a lawsuit was initiated against the Pickwick-Greyhound Lines for the accident, citing one the company’s buses, and also named Pioneer-Southwestern Stages, it would seem that Pioneer-Southwestern was either a subsidiary or under contract to Pickwick-Greyhound Line.
PIONEER STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of San Luis Obispo, California. Joseph Wilson was the registered contact.
PIONEER TRANSPORT CORPORATION There’s really nothing to report on this company. There’s a company by that name operating out of Manila in the Philippines. More info needed. The badge is nickel plated, with one threaded post and one pin post. The retaining nut is marked “Hookfast” so it’s possible/probable that the badge was made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R.I. It measures 2″ by 2 1/2″.
PITCHER BUS LINE In the late 1910s both the Consolidated Bus Lines and the Pitcher Bus Line and Consolidated Bus Lines paralleled the rail line of the New York Central and the Rochester, Lockport & Buffalo Railway in Rochester, New York. Both companies ceased operations on a portion of their route after the R.L & B. Railway obtained an injunction in 1921. (Info from Bus Transportation‘s January 14, 1922, issue.) No further info known.
PITTSBURG-AVON AUTO STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s from Pittsburg, California. Casper Cautiello was the registered contact.
PITTSBURGH RAILWAYS COMPANY was one of the predecessors of the Port Authority of Allegheny County (Pennsylvania). It had 666 PCC cars and was the third largest fleet in North America. It ran from 1902 until 1964. The older badge is die pressed with two threaded posts and measures 4″ x 2⅛”; the newer badge is hallmarked Pannier Bros. Pittsburgh, measures 2¾” x 2¼” and has two threaded posts. (See Port Authority of Allegheny County for more information and examples of badges.)
PITTSBURGH-WEIRTON BUS COMPANY, INC. was operating out of Weirton, West Virginia, in the early 1930s. One of the first mentions of the company is found in a court case involving Norman Ferrari, a driver for the company, who was arrested and convicted for violating the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Code. The case was argued on April 23, 1934: “Ferrari, an agent of the Pittsburgh-Weirton Bus Company, on July 3, 1933, drove a Company White bus licensed in West Virginia and not licensed by Pennsylvania. It was driven from Weirton, West Virginia, to Pittsburgh, Pa. This bus was loaded with passengers originating in Weirton, West Virginia, and/or Steubenville, Ohio, and bound for Pittsburgh, Pa. This bus was driven regularly according to schedule, in place of the bus ordinarily used which was licensed in Pennsylvania but had broken down and was being repaired. Ferrari was arrested in Pennsylvania charged with violation of Section 401 of the Motor Vehicle Code, and the Pittsburgh-Weirton Bus Company was charged with violation of Section 409 (b) of the Motor Vehicle Code.”
In 1946 the company was operating 38 buses over 96 route miles and Mike Starvaggi was the owner. In 1978 the company applied to cease business operations with the Public Service Commission of West Virginia: “For at least three years and four months the applicant has been operating its West Virginia bus service at a net loss. The bus company operates six divisions, four of which are considered West Virginia intrastate: Divisions B, E, F and G. Division A – ‘Pittsburgh’: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania to Stubenville, Ohio with stops in Pennsylvania; Division R – ‘State Line’ : Pennsylvania-West Virginia State Line to a point in Weirton; Division C – ‘Columbus’: Columbus to Steubenville (to Imperial, Pennsylvania); Division E – ‘Steubenville-Weirton’ : Weirton to Steubenville; Division P – ‘Follansbee-Wellsburg’: Steubenville to Follansbee; Division G – ‘Marland Heights-Weircrest’: Weirton to Marland Heights and Weircrest. . . . IT IS, THEREFORE, ORDERED that the application of Pittsburgh & Weirton Bus Company to discontinue operation as a common carrier of passengers by motor vehicle under P,S.C, M.C, Certificates Nos, 291-B, 4097, 4165 and 4166 be, and it hereby is, granted, effective July 1, 1978.” As to the badge, it is die-pressed with a single threaded post and made of nickel-plated brass. Note on the example shown below that the company name is misspelled. I’m guessing that the company itself made the mistake when ordering badges, and therefore had to either accept and use the badges, or pay for replacements. So the question is if the badges with the misspelled name were actually used in service.
Pittsfield, Barry & Quincy Busway, Inc., ran in 1927 in Quincy, Ill.
PLACERVLLE-COOL AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Placerville, California. Marshall Dunkum was the registered contact.
PLACERVILLE-GRIZZLY FLAT STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Placerville, California. C.J. Rupley was the registered contact.
PLACERVILLE PARADOX STAGES ran out of Placerville, Colorado in the 1920s; it was owned by Geo Oberto. It is mentioned in a July 9, 1928, complaint for failure to deliver washing machine. September 17, 1932, Gio Oberto, DBA as Placerville-Paradox Stages was brought before the Public Utilities Commission of the State of Colorado for failure to pay taxes, secure insurance and a surety bond. By January 4, 1933, he had paid his delinquent taxes and fulfilled his other obligations so the case was dismissed.
PLAINFIELD TRANSIT, INC. was a city bus operation that began operating in 1953 in Plainfield, New Jersey. It served Planfield, North Plainfield, South Plainfield and Metuchin with 30 buses. The company succeeded Public Service Coordinated Transport. According to an article in the September 8, 1954, edition of the Courier-News from Bridgewater, New Jersey, within the first year the company was declaring itself insolvent: “The picture painted by Mr. Sachar is not too rosy. He maintains the Plainfield Transit, Inc. is insolvent and that something is in the wind which most certainly is not going to be’ in the favor of bus riders. At any rate we cannot blame our city fathers for the situation; They did everything possible to prevent the transfer of the bus lines. The Appellate Division of Superior Court ruled that the city has nothing to say about bus operations. It placed the entire supervisory regulation of bus operations under the jurisdiction of the State Public Utility Commission. So now we say to the PUC : ‘Don’t let Plainfield bus riders down.’ A rear ago last July we strongly opposed the transfer of six bus lines from the Public Service Coordinated Transport to the Plainfield Transit, Inc. . . . We put the matter right in the lap of the PUC and from current, reports it appears that if the company goes bankrupt Plainfield either goes into the transit business or Plainfielders walk.” Apparently the company did hang on, since it went out of business in 1992, at which time Central Jersey Transit took over. The badge has two threaded posts and is made of nickel.
Plaza Tours Corporation, ran in 1927 in Brooklyn, N. Y.
PLEASANT VALLEY AUTO STAGE / AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Coulterville, California, to Mariposa. A.R. Jeffery was the registered contact.
PLOTTS BROTHERS BUS LINE served Raleigh, North Carolina, Norfolk via Weldon, Virginia, and Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The company sold out to Carolina Coach Company in 1929.
PLUM BEACH AUTO STAGE, INC. (See Manhattan-Plum Beach Auto Stage, Inc.)
PLYMOUTH-BROCKTON ST. RY. CO. The Plymouth & Brockton Street Railway Company has been providing passenger service for over 120 years and still runs buses and lightrail from its headquarters in Plymouth, Massachusetts. ( The company history can be found by clicking on this link.) The badge is die pressed and has a single threaded post.
PLYMOUTH-OLETA-AUKUM STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s from Oleta, California. J.W. Smith was the registered contact.
POCAHONTAS TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was founded in 1922 with Carrol R. Woods as president. “The new company will start with three buses. They will have Fitz-John Erwin sixteen-passenger bodies on Reo chassis. . . . Such features as genuine leather seats, plate glass windows and baggage racks for trunks and sample cases add to the comfort and convenience of the passengers.” The company served the Pocahotas coal fields of West Virginia, which was one of the largest in the world; it ran between Welch and Bluefield, W.V., and was still in business in the late 1930s. “In deference to the great coal-producing section which the new line serves it will be named ‘The Black Diamond Line.‘”
POCUMTUCK STAGES / POCUMTUCK BUS LINE / FISHER’S BUS LINE was running from Springfield to Greenfield, via Amherst, Massachusetts, in the early 1930s. The company was owned by C.H. Fisher (who also owned C.H. Fisher Company, Inc.) and was originally named Fisher’s Bus Line, but became known as Pocumtuck Stages. (At some point Fisher changed the name to Pocumtuck Stages, which is how the company is listed in the 1946 MTD.) It was located in Deerfield, Massachusetts, and in 1946 was operating 6 buses over 48 route miles. (One driver for the company was Benjamin Franklin Bridges, 1888-1960. His obit read: “His last job was being a bus driver for Fisher’s Bus Line called ‘Pocumtuck Stages’ of South Deerfield.”) The only Internet info I can find on this company was in the Belchertown Sentinel newspaper dated April 16, 1943, which announced that the “Pocumtuck bus line” was introducing a new time schedule—in particular for Belchertown, whose Sunday and holiday service was being discontinued to Springfield. Peter C. Snell of Milford and his partner, George Sage, purchased the financially failing company in 1950 and renamed it Englander Coach Lines. The January 23, 1955, edition of the Democrat and Chronicle from Rochester, New York, gives the background: “One early summer, at the close of the spring term at Deerfield, And the next summer [George Sage] bought up a bus line that ran from Point Breeze, north of Albion, to Batavia, the chief purpose of which They found one presently, called the Pocumtuck Bus Line, which ran from Springfield to Greenfield, Mass., via Amherst, and was dragging along in the red. They revived it, changed its name to the Englander Coach Lines . . .” Sage and Snell would later buy out Johnson Bus Lines Inc., which ran from Boston to Milford, Massachusetts, and ran that company separate from Englander Coach Lines. The partners sold Englander Coach Lines in the 1950’s, however the company was still operating in May 1980 when it was selling off its certificates to Rabbit Transit, Inc.
POINT REYES STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Point Reyes Station, California. Peter Alberigi was the registered contact.
PONTIAC-ORION-OXFORD-LAPEER BUS COMPANY This company was operating in the 1930s–1940s out of Lapeer, Michigan. It was an intercity company running between Pontiac, Orion, Oxford Mayville, Columbiaville Junction, Metamora, Caro and Lapeer, Michigan. The company bought at least two new Flxible Clipper buses for its operation. In 1939 Joseph Crosek was the general manager.
POPLAR BLUFF CITY LINES See Scofield Bus Line / Schofield Bus Line.
PORT ARTHUR CITY LINES, INC. was a National City Lines company that operated buses in Port Arthur, Texas, from 1937 until 1950. It succeeded Eastern Texas Electric Company, which ran from 1918 until 1937. Port Arthur City Lines was succeeded by Port Arthur Transit Corporation. The Port Arthur Transit Corp. operated 19 buses on 6 routes for 1,257 daily miles while averaging 2, 500 daily passengers in 1963. In 1978 the City of Port Arthur Transit Department, or “PAT” as it is locally known, began operating.
PORT AUTHORITY OF ALLEGHENY COUNTY / PAT was founded March 1, 1964, and was the successor to the Pittsburgh Railways Company. It is the second largest transit authority in Pennsylvania and the 11th largest in the US. PAT is owned by the County of Allegheny and runs 844 buses, 83 light rail/subway and 2 inclines. Ridership is around 240,000 daily. PAT services all of Allegheny County and parts of Beaver, Butler, Washington, Westmoreland & Armstrong Counties. Shown below, the top badge is a reconstituted Pittsburgh Railway Company badge, i.e., a sticker was placed over the “PRCo” raised lettering, which is clearly visible from the reverse. A later example omits the “PRCo” letter/sticker. A more modern version in red is also shown. All badges are die pressed with two threaded posts and measure 4″ x 2⅛”.
PORT CHESTER & WHITE PLAINS BUS LINE, INC. served Port Chester and White Plains, New York. In 1946 it was running 5 buses over 14 route miles out of Port Chester.
PORT TOWNSEND SOUTHERN STAGES, INC. / OLYMPIC TRAILWAYS On September 6, 1946, the Washington State Department of Transportation issued a certificate to Frank L. Hart and Arthur Garrett to operate Port Townsend Southern Stages (also known as Port Townsend Southern Bus Line) and furnish passenger and express service between Port Townsend and Quilcene, Washington. (This Frank L. Hart was the son of the Frank S. Hart whose HART BROTHERS STAGE LINE ran the same route back in 1922.) Port Townsend Southern Bus Line was successful for several years and operated out of Port Townsend’s Central Hotel and later from Baker’s Drug Store on Water and Tyler Streets (on the opposite corner from O’Neill’s Drug Store where the Washington Motor Coach System buses stopped) and ran daily, except for Sunday and holidays. Port Townsend Southern Stages advertised routes Port Townsend-Maynard-Quilcene, and Port Townsend – Center – Quilcene – Brinnon – Hoodsport – Bremerton Junction. Later, Port Townsend Southern Stages would advertise routes from Port Townsend south to Quilcene, Brinnon, Hoodsport, Shelton, Olympia, Aberdeen, Chehalis, Kelso, Washintton, and Portland, Oregon, and San Francisco and finally into Los Angeles, California, some 36 hours later. The company joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1949 as Olympic Trailways. After 1952, Port Townsend Southern Stages isn’t mentioned in the Port Townsend city directory, so one might assume it ceased business after this date.
PORT TOWNSEND W. B. FESTIVAL SHUTTLE BUS COMPANY / PORT TOWNSEND WOODEN BOAT FESTIVAL SHUTTLE BUS COMPANY On Tuesday, December 18, 2012, the Jefferson Transit Authority Board, which oversees public transportation in Jefferson County, Washington, voted to cancel Jefferson Transit’s Sunday bus service. Over the next three years the Board refused repeated requests by public transit advocate Darrell Conder to run one shuttle bus on Sunday during the annual Wooden Boat Festival, which is the most profitable tourist draw in Port Townsend/Jefferson County. Consequently, in 2015 Lloyd Eisenman, Burt Langsea, Alice Lane and Darrell Conder formed the non-profit Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival Shuttle Bus Company, which operated between the Haines Place Park & Ride to downtown Port Townsend/Point Hudson on Sunday, September 13, 2015. The drivers were Jefferson Transit operators Alice Lane and Lloyd Eisenman, and retired Seattle Metro / Jefferson Transit operator Burt Langsea. The one-bus operation was a success with 339 passengers being served on 46 one-way trips. There is one known badge for this company: it is made of nickel-plated brass, measures approx. 2″ x 1¾”, has a single threaded post and a pin post. It is marked “Alice Lane” and dated on the reverse “Sept. 13, 2015”.
PORTLAND-ASTORIA STAGE LINE was operating in 1923 from Portland to Astoria, Oregon, over a 107-mile route.
PORTLAND-BANKS STAGE was operating in 1923 from Portland to Banks, Oregon, over a 24-mile route.
PORTLAND-BATTLEGROUND STAGE was operating a route between Portland and Battleground, Oregon, in 1923.
PORTLAND-CARVER STAGE was operating in 1923 from Portland to Carver, Oregon, over a 13-mile route.
PORTLAND-HILLSBORO-McMINNVILLE STAGE was operating in 1923 from Portland to McMinnville, Oregon, over a 46-mile route.
PORTLAND-MOLLALA STAGE was operating in 1923 from Portland to Mollala, Oregon, over a 29-mile route.
PORTLAND-MULTNOMAH STAGE was operating in 1923 from Portland to Multnomah, Oregon.
PORTLAND-NEWBERG-McMINNVILLE-TILLAMOOK STAGE LINE was operating in 1923 from Portland to Tillamook, Oregon, over a 107-mile route.
PORTLAND-OREGON CITY STAGE was operating in 1923 from Portland to Oregon City, Oregon, over a 13-mile route.
PORTLAND-SALEM-ALBANY STAGE was operating in the early 1920s from Portland to Salem to Albany, Oregon, over a 52-mile route.
PORTLAND-SILVERTON STAGE was operating in 1923 from Portland to Silverton, Oregon, over a 51-mile route.
PORTLAND STAGES, INC. operated in Portland, Oregon and was one of the four companies comprising the Blue Bus consortium of common carriers: Estacada-Molalla Stages, Inc.; Intercity Buses, Inc.; Portland Stages, Inc.; and Tualatin Valley Buses, Inc. The “Blue Bus” lines was a group of four affiliated privately owned public transportation companies that provided bus transit service in the Portland, Oregon, metropolitan area in the 1950s and 1960s. The name was unofficial but was in common use in the 1960s, and variations included “Blue Bus lines”, “Blue Lines”, “blue bus” lines (or companies) and “blue buses”. The Blue Bus companies provided service only between Portland and suburbs outside the city, or within such suburbs, as transit service within the city of Portland was the exclusive franchise of the Portland Traction Company or, after 1956, the Rose City Transit Company (RCT). The “blue buses” were prohibited from making stops inside the city except to pick up passengers destined for points outside RCT’s service area (or to drop off such passengers when inbound to Portland). The “blue” name was a reference to the paint scheme worn by most buses of the consortium. By contrast, city transit operator Rose City’s buses wore a primarily red paint scheme.
All public transit operations of the Blue Bus lines were taken over by Tri-Met, a new regional public transit authority, in 1970, nine months after Tri-Met took over the Rose City Transit Company’s service.
PORTLAND TRACTION COMPANY began operation in Portland, Oregon, in 1900 and continued until 1958. From 1936 until 1958 the company operated trolleybuses. The introduction to Oregon Pacific Railroad‘s history of Portland Traction Company begins: “It all started in 1891, when the East Side Railway Co. was incorporated to build a line from the Columbia River to Eugene. Of course, it didn’t exactly work out that way. But by July, 1891, part of the line we know today as the East Portland Branch of the Oregon Pacific, was constructed.
This would not be the first trolley railroad to be built in Portland as over the prior 20 years, numerous horse car, cable car, steam car and electric car railroads had been built all over the city. But it would be the East Side Railroad Company that is the original predecessor to PEPCo and the Portland Traction Company as we would know it in the later years and it would be future assets of this company that would eventually take over almost all city and interurban and trolley line service in Portland.” (To continue reading, click the following link: Portland Traction Company.)
The first example is a single threaded post, marked on back “KARL J. KLEIN PORTLAND, ORE.” and measures 1¼” x 1⅝”. The second example is a later issue from the 1940s and measures 1 ⅞”.
ALSO SEE “ROSE CITY TRANSIT” FOR INFORMATION ON PORTLAND PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION HISTORY.
POST BUS LINE began operations in July 1917 running from Chattanooga, Tennessee, into Chickamauga National Military Park and the 6th Calvary army post located at that point.
POST ROAD AUTOMOBILE COMPANY, INC. was incorporated in North Tarrytown, New York, in 1921. On August 22, 1922 the company applied for a certificate to operate a bus line in the village of Irvington, Westchester County, New York.
POTOMAC COACH LINES, INC. The company had its beginnings with Robert L. Emery, Jr. in Martinsburg, West Virginia, who founded Emery’s Motor Coach Lines, Inc. I don’t know the date of the company’s founding, but certainly it was flourishing in the 1940s. At some point in the late 1940s the company had joined the National Trailways Bus System as Metropolitan Trailways. By 1949 the company was in deep financial trouble. In October 1949 the Mellon National Bank & Trust Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania foreclosed. On Friday, October 28, 1949, at 10 a.m., the bank forced a public sale at the door of the Berkley County, West Virginia courthouse. Everything was for sale: “Together with all rights, franchise permits, certificates of public conveyance and good-will owned by the said Robert L. Emery, Jr., an individual doing business as Emery’s Motor Coach Lines and Emery’s Motor Coach Lines, Inc. a Corporation.” The sale listed 30 buses, the oldest being a 1935 Yellow Coach and the most recent being Fexible coaches from the 1940, including two 1948 coaches. The details of the sale were revealed in a November 21, 1949, Hagerstown, Maryland, newspaper article, which reported that Francis H. Urner, an official of the Potomac Coach Lines, Inc., Jack A. Bowers, the president of the company, Fred Lillard, the manager and Paul Smith, supervisor, acknowledged that the “new company” was having financial difficulties. The article also revealed that Robert L. Emery had been given a 30-day option to repurchase his bus line at the same price Potomac Coach Lines paid Mellon National Bank, which was $20,000 cash. Apparently Potomac Coach Lines was a new company, founded in 1949 with the purchase of Emery’s bus line. My guess is that Emery never exercised his option to repurchase, since in December 1951, he sued Mellon National Bank and Trust Company for money, he claimed, the company failed to pay him after the sale of his business. In 1954 Potomac Coach Lines was operating 18 buses over 350 route miles and served Hagerstown, Smithburg, Frederick, Maryland and Winchester, Virginia.
P. E. CO. BUS / POTOMAC EDISON COMPANY In 1922 Hagerstown & Frederick Railway of central Maryland became the Potomac Public Service Company (PPSC). The following year, the PPSC absorbed the Cumberland utility known as the Potomac Edison Company (PEC), which included the Cumberland & Westernport Electric Railway, and applied its name to the entire operation. In 1923 the Blue Ridge Lines, which had been created by Potomac Public Service Company that year to supplement its trolley service, was used by Potomac Edison Company to provide vital bus services over railroad routes that were no longer profitable. It ran from New York to Ohio, and South to Georgia and Florida. In 1931 PEC put together a consortium comprising the Blue Ridge Transportation Company, a corporation, White Star Lines, Inc., and Penn Bus Company, a corporation, using the trade name of, “Blue Ridge Lines” (also known as the Blue Ridge System). The back of a 1936 post card, which was postmarked Canton, Ohio, and featured a Blue Ridge Lines bus, read: “Blue Ridge Lines a wide spread of territory between Cleveland, Ohio, Baltimore, Md., and Washington, D.C.” Although PEC operated the Blue Ridge Lines, it maintained a fleet of buses under its own name. In 1946 the company operated 65 buses over 265.8 route miles, and it’s president, R. Paul Smith, controlled both companies—as well as Penn Bus Company, which ran 38 buses over 343 route miles, and White Star Lines. A. F. McDonald was general manager of all four companies. The badge was manufactured by W&M Co., Newark, NJ., and measures 1¾” x 2¼” with two threaded posts.
POTTER VALLEY-UKIAH AUTO STAGE was operating in the late 1920s out of Potter Valley, California. Louis Hanson was the owner.
P. P. RY. CO. POTTSTOWN PASSENGER RAILWAY CO. operated passenger service in Pottstown, PA., from 1890 until 1905 when the name was changed to the Pottstown & Reading Street Railway. (See Pottstown Rapid Transit.) The badge is approx. 1½”, but other size badges are known.
POTTSTOWN RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY was formed as a subsidiary to the Pottstown Passenger Railway Co. in 1936 and on October 1 of that year buses were started in Pottstown, PA. (Info from the April 15, 1943 edition of The Mercury, p. 9.) The badge was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO and measures 2½” with a single threaded post.
PRAIRIE AVENUE TRANSIT LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Inglewood, California. Cyril V. Bennett was the owner.
PRESCOTT’S BUS LINES, INC. This was intercity bus company operating from Rutland, Massachusetts, and serving the towns of Rutland, Athol, Petersham, Barre, Jefferson, Holden, Princeton and Worcester, Massachusetts. There is little info on this company. The earliest is a surviving 1929 bus time table. It is mentioned in the 1933 Annual Reports of Rutland, Massachusetts, noting that the town paid the company for welding jobs, which indicates that the owner of the company not only ran a bus service, but also took on welding work: “Prescott’s Bus Line, Inc., welding, etc. 49.01”. The company is listed in the Thirty-Third Annual Directory of Labor Organizations in Massachusetts, 1934.
PRESTON-ISSAQUAH-SEATTLE STAGE LINE / PRESTON-ISSAQUAH-SEATTLE STAGE COMPANY, INC. The only information about this company is that it is mentioned in the State of Washington Fifteenth Biennial Report of the Secretary of State for October 1, 1916, and September 30, 1918; it served the Washington communities noted in the company title, and that it was bought out by North Bend Stage Line in 1925.
PRIEST VALLEY AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of King City, California, to Monterey. Arthur R. Oswald was the registered contact.
PROVINCIAL TRANSPORT COMPANY / la compagnie de TRANSPORT-PROVINCIAL was incorporated on November 22, 1928, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada; a year later it bought out 31 bus companies serving the greater Montreal area from the center city, “each having its terminus on a different street corner and without any connection between them.” Some of those companies were: Luxury Cab Company – Sightseeing; Montreal City Tours – Sightseeing; Mount Royal Bus Lines – Sightseeing; Royal Bus Lines – Sightseeing; Royal Blue Line Motor Tours – Sightseeing; Montreal Sightseeing Tours Ltd. – Sightseeing; Suburban Coach Lines – Ste-Agathe; Adrien & Georges Chartier – St-Chrysostome; and National Bus Inc. – Berthier. The company was affiliated with the Montreal Tramways Company until 1948. The Encyclopedia of New York State (edited by Peter Eisenstadt: 2005, Syracuse University Press) notes “International bus service between New York City and Montreal via the Hudson Valley and both banks of Lake Champlain was begun in August 1929 by a partnership of Fifth Avenue Coach Company and Provincial Transport [Company] , and The Gray Line sightseeing association affiliates in those cities.” Out of this partnership was created two subsidiaries: Champlain Coach Lines, Inc. for Montreal – New York, and Frontier Coach Lines, Inc. for Montreal – Boston. In 1930 the company bought Colonial Coach Lines, Ltd. of Ottawa, owned by Oscar Cooke and RG “Bill” Perry. In turn, Colonial Coach Lines bought out Toronto–Montreal Road Coach Line, the J. Gill Bus Line, Collacutt Coach Lines, Kawartha Lakes Coach Lines and Pony Bus Lines Ltd. Colonial later bought Modern Bus Company from Victoriaville.
In 1961 the control of the Provincial, Colonial and Saguenay Autobuses was transferred to the Transportation Management Corporation, a new management company created by Paul Desmarais, who was the majority shareholder. On January 1, 1964, the Provincial Transport Company was divided into two companies: Voyageur Provincial, Inc. for long-distance roads, and Metropolitan Provincial for suburban roads. We are showing one badge below, but there are others. The first badge example is made of nickel-plated metal, is diamond shaped and has two threaded posts. It measures 3″ x 1 ½” and is marked “W. Scully, Montreal” on the back. The second example has two varieties. One is die-pressed nickel-plated brass that has two threaded posts, measures 2 ¾” x 1 ½” and is marked “W. Scully, Montreal” on the back. The second example is a solid chrome-plated metal with two threaded posts and measures 2 ¾” x 1 ½”. For further info, see the entry for COLONIAL COACH LINES, LTD.
PUBLIC SERVICE CORPORATION of NEW JERSEY (PSC) was incorporated in May 1903. In 1907 the PSC incorporated the Public Service Railway Company as a wholly owned subsidiary to operate its traction lines. After forming several other subsidiaries to oversee its gas and electricity divisions, the PSC became a holding company. Another subsidiary, the Public Service Transportation Company, was formed in 1924 to operate buses, and in 1928, this company and Public Service Railway Company were merged to form Public Service Coordinated Transport Company. In 1937 the company began operating the world’s first diesel-electric bus fleet. (One of the lines operated by PSC was the Philadelphia-Asbury Park Bus Line, which served Philadelphia, Camden, Brown’s Mills, Fort Dix, Lakewood, Asbury Park, Freehold and New York in November 1941.) In 1971, Public Service Coordinated Transport became Transport of New Jersey, largely an operator of buses owned by the state and leased to the company. New Jersey Transit Corporation took over their operations in 1980. The first badge measures 2¼” x 3″ and has two threaded posts. The second badge is a die pressed example with two threaded posts.
Public Service Transportation was formed in 1917 as a bus-operating subsidiary of the Public Service Corporation, supplementing the Public Service Railway‘s trolley lines in New Jersey. In 1928, the operations of the two companies were merged to form Public Service Coordinated Transport. The name was changed to Transport of New Jersey in 1971, and the New Jersey Transit Corporation took over their operations in 1980.
PUEBLO TRANSIT CO. ran in Pueblo, Colorado, from 1949-1956. It succeeded the Southern Colorado Power Co., which ran streetcars and buses from 1922-1949; in turn, it was succeeded by the Pueblo Transportation Co., which ran from 1956-1958. The badge has a single threaded post and measures 2½” x 2½” and was made by SACHS-LAWLOR DENVER.
PULASKI BUS LINE was operating in 1928 in Pulaski, Tennessee. It was still in business in the late 1940s.
PULLEN BUS LINE was operated by C.T. Pullen out of Burgaw, North Carolina in the mid 1940s. The route was from Elizabethtown on N.C., Highway 53 to White Lake.
PURINTON COACH LINE served the city of Farmingdale, an incorporated village on Long Island within the Town of Oyster Bay in Nassau County, New York.
PURPLE SWAN COACH COMPANY In the September 11, 1931, edition of the Republican Watchman from Monticello, New York, article “PURPLE SWAN LINE SOLD TO MARTZ CO.” we find this information: “Purple Swan Coach Company which operates a bus line in Sullivan County, sold out to the Frank Martz Coach Company of Scranton.” In the September 10, 1931 edition of the Tunkhannock New Age from Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania, we find that “The Frank Martz Coach Co. has purchased the Purple Swan Coach Co. improvements will get under way this fall.” You should note that the article doesn’t say if the the Frank Martz Company will continue to use the “Purple Swan” name in its business.
PURPLE SWAN SAFETY COACH LINES, INC. In the court case Robeson v. Greyhound Lines, Inc., 257 Ill. App. 278, 284 (Ill. App. Ct. 1930), we find information on the founding of this company: “On February 24, 1926, a charter was issued for the incorporation of the Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines, Inc., and it was authorized to carry passengers for hire by means of motor buses, etc., and all other power-propelled, drawn or driven vehicles and devices. On April 26, 1926, the Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines, Inc., was authorized by the Secretary of State to do business in this State [Illinois]. On December 6, 1927, this corporation amended its charter by changing its name to that of “Greyhound Lines, Inc.”
(According to Chicago Transit & Railfan‘s web page, “Illinois Greyhound Lines (IGL) – incorporated 1924 as Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines, renamed 1927 to Greyhound Lines Inc.” This incorporation date does not match the above statement from the contemporary court case cited above.)
The March 5. 1927, issue of the ELECTRIC RAILWAY JOURNAL, article “Blue Goose and Purple Swan End Hostilities”, gives some insight into this company’s operations: “The Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines discontinued its St. Louis to Alton, III., service on April 1, abandoning the field to the East St. Louis & Suburban Railway and its subsidiary bus line, the Blue Goose line. To the same railway and bus properties it had previously given a monopoly of the trade between St. Louis and Belleville. The Purple Swan company opened service between St. Louis and Alton on Aug. 1, fixing its rates at 75 cents for one way and $1.25 for the round trip. The electric railway at that time was charging $1.86 for the round trip. When the competition began to cut heavily into the receipts of the car lines the Blue Goose bus line entered the field as an auxiliary to the street cars. At the same time the round-trip rate on the electric line was slashed to $1, while the service was greatly speeded up.”
In Dr. D.B. “Doc” Rushing’s article on Central Greyhound Lines, there is information on the fate of this company: “For a short time during 1927-28 there was also a third subsidiary (of the Motor Transit Corporation) using the name of the Greyhound Lines, Inc. – the Greyhound Lines, Inc., of Delaware (the GLI of Delaware), which came into existence to buy the Purple Swan Safety Coach Lines, running between Chicago and Kansas City via Saint Louis, the two last in Missouri, and which became renamed as the Pickwick-Greyhound Lines, after the Pickwick Corporation bought a one-half ownership interest in that firm (hence the hyphenated name).“
PURPLE SWAN TRANSPORTATION was running out of St. Louis, Missouri, in the 1930s. In 1940 it was running 16 buses 700 route miles. The company was still operating in 1947; in March 1950 it was advertising the sale of different makes of fare boxes and other related equipment. It wasn’t mentioned in the 1954 edition of the MTD.
Copyright © 2020 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.