BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “R”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
R & R TRANSIT CO. According to the book ‘Randolph County 1779-1979′, published in 1938, the company, which was owned by Joseph D. Ross Jr. and Arthur Ross, provided bus transportation in Asheboro, N. C., and later from Asheboro to Cedar Falls, Central Falls, Worthville, Ramseur, Franklinville and Coleridge. The company was sold to Asheboro Coach Co. in 1948. The badge has a single threaded post.
RTD / RAPID TRANSIT DISTRICT See SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RAPID TRANSIT.
RABBIT TRANSIT, INC. This company was formed in 1980 in Massachusetts. In May 1980 the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities received a joint petition of “Englander Coach Lines, Inc. (Proposed Transferor) and Rabbit Transit, Inc. (Proposed Transferee) for approval to the assignment and transfer of various Certificates from Proposed Transferor to Proposed Transferee.” The petition was granted since Rabbit Transit took over Englander Coach Lines‘ route from Fitchburg to Boston, Massachusetts, in October 1980. In January 1982 the company applied to the City Council of Boston for a license to operate a passenger service “over certain streets in Boston.” The city council rejected the petition. There is no other information on this company.
RACINE MOTOR COACH LINES, INC. From 1883 the city of Racine, Wisconsin, had a streetcar system operated by Belle City Street Railway Company. Starting out as a horse-drawn rail system, it was electrified in 1892. In 1897 The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company took over the company and reorganized it as a subsidiary—Belle City Electric Company. In 1899 that company was merged into The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company. In 1938 TMER&L was reorganized as Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transport Company. In late 1939 the Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transport Company sold its Racine, Wisconsin routes to Racine Motor Coach Lines, Inc., which had been recently formed. In 1940 the company ran the last streetcars in Racine. By 1946 the company was running 50 buses over 23.6 route miles. The company was sold in 1947 to Chicago North Shore & Milwaukee Railroad, which continued operating under the Racine Motor Coach Lines name. In 1954 the company was operating 48 buses over 37.3 route miles. In 1962 Racine Motor Coach Lines was sold to Lakeshore Transit Racine, Inc., which operated service under that name. That company discontinued operations in 1968 and Flash City Transit took over bus operations in Racine. In 1975 Flash City Transit was acquired by Belle Urban System —or B.U.S. — and operated under contract by Taylor Enterprises, Inc., which was formed by the owner of Flash City Transit. The first badge has two threaded posts (the photo below has a missing post) and was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY. The second badge appears to be a salesman’s sample, was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY., and has two threaded post.
RALEIGH CITY COACH LINES succeeded White Transportation Company in 1950 (this company succeeded Carolina Power & Light Company in 1950) providing bus service in Raleigh, North Carolina. It was owned by City Coach Lines, Inc. After this company’s demise, Capital Area Transit system was created. In 2015 Capital Area Transit formerly rebranded its system to GoRaleigh.
RALEIGH-ROCKY MOUNT BUS LINE is another of those obscure bus lines that has left little if any information about its existence. An undated schedule survives showing that the line served Rocky Mount, Nashville, Spring Hope, Zebulon and Raleigh, North Carolina. (All of these towns are located along US HWY 64 in North Carolina.) So it was in intercity bus line serving North Carolina. There is one newspaper account that mentions the company, and that is found in the February 22, 1929, edition of The Bee from Danville, Virginia: “W. R. Perry, driver of a Raleigh-Rocky Mount-bus. was instantly killed yesterday when the bus he was driving skidded on icy pavement into a pole carrying high voltage wires near Spring Hope He was electrocuted as he stepped from the bus after the crash had snapped the wires. No passengers were on the bus.”
RAMSEY’S INC. There’s not much info about this company. It’s listed in a 1927 Haverhill, Massachusetts, city directory as “Ramsey’s Inc., Taxicab Co., B. & M. Depot.” The badge does feature a bus from the 1940s, which would indicate that it was operating in that time period. However, it’s not listed in the 1930s or 1940s MTD, or any subsequent editions, nor in the early editions of Russell’s.
RANDALL BUS LINES was an intercity company located at Seventh and Dakota Ave. in Souix Falls, South Dakota. The company, owned by Frank H. Larsen, ran 3 buses over 220 route miles from Bonesteel to Mitchell, S.D. Since the company wasn’t listed in the 1946 edition of the MTD, but is listed in the 1952 edition, I’m assuming it was founded sometime in between those years. The badge has a single threaded post and was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO.
RANDALL BUS LINE was in operation in Phenix City, Alabama, in 1952. Since it was not listed in the 1946-47 edition of MTD, it must have been founded between 1947-1952. It is not listed in the 1954 MTD, so it may be assumed to have been defunct. No further information.
RANDALL’S BUS LINE was running between Grand Rapids and Lowell, Michigan, in 1919. No further information about this company other than an advertisement/schedule in the The Lowell Ledger and The Alto Weekly Solo, for May 15, 1919.
RANDSBURG TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Randsburg, California. R. R. Wilson was the owner.
RANGE RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY In 1919 E. Roy Fitzgerald bought a bus business transporting miners and schoolchildren in Eveleth, Minnesota, which was part of the Mesabi Range. By 1925 Roy Fitzgerald had been joined by his four brothers, John E. Roy. W. Ralph, Edward and Kent Fitzgerald, and his company, Range Rapid Transit Company, ran twenty-five buses over a network of routes. They sold the company to the Great Northern Railroad in 1925. The Fitzgerald brothers went on to bigger things in the motor bus business, ultimately leading to the infamous National City Lines scandal.
National City Lines, Inc., founded by General Motors, was a public transportation company infamous in American transit history for joining in a conspiracy back in 1936 with Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California and Phillips Petroleum. Their express purpose was to acquire local transit systems throughout the United States, dismantle and replace them with buses, which of course used gasoline and rubber tires. Their actions became known as the General Motors streetcar conspiracy. To carry this out, GM needed someone to oversee their conspiracy; they found the right man in Roy Fitzgerald. He was named as president of National City Lines and, in 1937, formed a subsidiary named Pacific City Lines to purchase streetcar systems in the western United States. His efforts paid off big time for General Motors, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California and Phillips Petroleum—so much so that in 1947 National City Lines, Inc., American City Lines, Inc., Pacific City Lines, Inc., the Standard Oil Company of California, the Federal Engineering Corporation, the Phillips Petroleum Company, the General Motors Corporation, the Firestone Tire & Rubber Company and the Mack Manufacturing Corporation were indicted by the Feds on charges of conspiring to acquire control of a number of transit companies, and of forming a transportation monopoly for the express purpose of monopolizing sales of buses and supplies to companies owned by National City Lines. Also indicted were E. Roy Fitzgerald and Foster G. Beamsley of NCL; H.C. Grossman, GM; Henry C. Judd, Standard Oil of California; L.R. Jackson, Firestone Tire & Rubber; Frank B. Stradley, and A.M. Hughes, Phillips Petroleum.
Thanks to a lot of political pressure, in 1949 all were acquitted on the first charge but not the second. The verdicts were upheld on appeal in 1951. However, in what amounts to a travesty of justice, the corporations involved were fined a mere $5000, and their executives (including Roy Fitzgerald) were fined $1 apiece. E. Roy Fitzgerald died of cancer in Chicago on June 15, 1957 at age 64.
For more information, here’s a detailed article on the Net: Revisiting the Great American Streetcar Scandal.
RAPID TRANSIT DISTRICT / RTD See SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RAPID TRANSIT.
Rapid Transit Inc (Winthrop MA) 1959
RAPID CITY TRANSIT LINES was a bus lines that ran in Rapid City, South Dakota, back in the 1940s. There’s a mention of the company in the Oct. 12, 1943, Rapid City Journal that reads: “Mrs. Helen Evans, curator at the The Black Hills Transportation Co. (Rapid City Transit Lines) Bus Service between Aray Air Base and Rapid City Effective Date: Monday. August 9. 1943.” It would appear that Rapid City Transit Lines was part of The Black Hills Transportation Co. The only other information is that the Rapid City Street Railway Co. ran in Rapid City after 1891, and that in 1952 a private bus company named Rapid Traction Co. ran. The badge measures 2 ½” and was made by the FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO.
Rapid Transit Lines (Houston TX) 1959
RAUCHWERGER BUS COMPANY was a bus company in New York City operating local service in Queens. It was founded by Joseph Rauchwerger on August 14, 1923, to take over routes which had been operated as streetcar routes by the New York & North Shore Traction Co. On April 21, 1926, Rauchwerger co-founded the North Shore Bus Company, which took over the lines of Rauchwerger Bus Co.
RAVENDALE-GLADE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Ravendale, California. C. W. King was the registered contact.
RAWDING BUS LINES, INC. was operating in the late 1920s out of Boston, Massachusetts. In 1930 the company operated two known routes, one between the junction of Atlantic avenue and State street and the Fish Pier, and the other between the South Station and the Army Base. In April 1930 the “Boston Elevated Railway agreed to take over the ten Rawding buses now being operated over these two lines, and incidental equipment, at a valuation to be determined by the State Department of Public Utilities.” According to the obituary of Mildred Eleanor Charlton, who died in 2002 at age 96, in the late 1920s she had worked for the Rawding Bus Lines in Boston “which merged with Grey Lines Sight Seeing Tour.”
JOHN RAY BUS LINE was running from Chattanooga, Tennessee to Summerville, Georgia, in 1917.
READING COMPANY / READING RAILROAD / READING LINES / READING TRANSPORTATION COMPANY The Reading Company, also known as Reading Railroad with the logo “Reading Lines”, was a successor to the Philadelphia and Reading Railway Company, which was founded in 1833. In 1932 the Board of Public Utility requested that South Jersey’s two major competing railroads consolidate, meaning the Pennsylvania Railroad Company and the Reading Company. The new company was named Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines, with Pennsylvania Railroad owning two-thirds and Reading one-third. Additionally the Reading Company and Pennsylvania Railroad consolidated their Atlantic City bus services in 1933, forming a Pennsylvania-Reading Seashore Lines’ subsidiary called the Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines. In August of that year the Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines, incorporated as the Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines, Inc. to combine bus operations of Pennsylvania Greyhound and Reading Transportation Company in Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines’ territory. The next year the Reading Transportation Company, which was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Reading Company founded in April 1928, assigned its Philadelphia-Atlantic City, Atlantic City-Ocean City-Wildwood, Wildwood-Cape and Wildwood-Avalon routes to Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines. (In 1932 the Reading Transportation Company operated 81 buses over 35 route mile.) In April 1935 Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines was sold to Public Service Interstate Transport. On January 31, 1945 the Pennsylvania-Reading Motor Lines, Inc. was dissolved. The Reading Company continued operating into the 1970s.
READING TRANSIT & LIGHT COMPANY / READING TRANSIT COMPANY / READING STREET RAILWAY COMPANY / READING BUS COMPANY Reading Transit & Light Company succeeded Reading Transit Company in 1913 operating streetcars in Reading, Pennsylvania. (Reading Transit & Light Co. also operated the Schuylkill Valley Traction Company and the Roxborough, Chestnut Hill and Norristown trolley lines.) The company was succeeded by Reading Transit Company (owned by General Gas & Electric Company) in 1919. In 1929 Reading Street Railway Company assumed operations. In 1946 the company was operating 44 track miles with 76 total cars, and 86 buses. In 1950 Reading Bus Company took over, and in 1952 discontinued streetcar service. In 1956 the company was operating 110 buses over 313 route miles. The company lasted until 1973 when Berks Area Regional Transportation Authority (BARTA) was created with the cooperation of the Berks County and the City of Reading, Pennsylvania to purchase the failing Reading Bus Company. On October 8, 1973, the company began bus operations. There are several known badges for the above companies. The below badge is made of nickel with a pin back.
REAMS BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1940s from Henderson, North Carolina, to Williamsboro and Townsville, North Carolina. It was owned and operated by S.M. Reams and Herbert Yancey.
REAMS BUS LINE, INC. This company was co-founded by Willie Mae Reams in Louisiana and was operating in the 1960s.
RECKARD’S AUTO SERVICE was operating in 1923 from Klamath Falls to Pelican City, Oregon, over a 45-mile route.
RED ARROW LINES, INC. / PHILADELPHIA SUBURBAN TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. Philadelphia Transportation Company was incorporated in 1936 and succeeded the Philadelphia & West Chester Traction Company. It operated buses, streetcars and commuter rail lines from Philadelphia to a number of surrounding suburbs. The company acquired several companies for its operations including Ardmore & Llanerch Street Railway, Philadelphia & Garrettford Street Railway Company and its bus subsidiary, Aronimink Transportation Company. The company used both the name Red Arrow Lines as well as its own. After a prolonged strike in 1960 by Southern Pennsylvania Bus Company employees, the Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company formed a subsidiary named Red Arrow Lines, Inc. This subsidiary purchased Southern Pennsylvania Bus Company and resumed bus service on June 30, 1960. Philadelphia Suburban Transportation Company was taken over in 1970 by Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority, or SEPTA. (See Southern Pennsylvania Bus Company for more information.) There are two known badges. The older badge has one threaded post and was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY; the newer badge also has a single threaded post and pin post and was made by WHITEHEAD – HOAG NEWARK NEW JERSEY.
THE RED BALL LINE See Hiner’s Red Ball Line
RED BIRD BUS COMPANY was operating in the 1910s and early 1920s out of Carl Junction, Missouri. It went out of business in 1924 .
RED BIRD BUS LINE was operating in 1928 into Nashville, Tennessee.
RED BLUFF-JELLY STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Jelly, California. O. Hawkinson was the registered contact.
RED BLUFF-GERBER STAGE LINE was operating out of Red Bluff, California, in the late 1920s. John Schafer was the owner.
RED BLUFF-MANTON STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Red Bluff, California. Howard Childs was the registered contact.
RED BUS LINE was owned by Edgar F. Zelle. On June 30, 1925 Zelle bought the Jefferson Highway Transportation Company in Minneapolis, Minn. In 1929 he shortened the name to Jefferson Transportation Company. It seems reasonable to assume that Zelle merged his Red Bus Line into the bigger company. (See Jefferson Highway Transportation Company for more info.)
RED BUS LINE, INC. There is something a bit off in the info about this company. In the 1946 MTD entry for Buffalo Transit Company, which served Buffalo, New York, the company was said to control Red Bus Line, Inc. However, the only listing in the MTD for that company is one found in Madison Heights, Virginia, running 11 buses over 8 route miles. In 1945 there was a Red Bus Line, Inc. was seeking approval to extend Certificate No. 247 in Stuart, Florida—which is a long way from Buffalo! And, to add a bit more confusion, there was a Red Bus Line, Inc. serving Black Mountain and Asheville, North Carolina, in October 1921. So, we leave it here with the invitation that someone provide the missing pieces to the puzzle.
THE RED CAR TROLLEYS Disneyland’s The Red Car Trolleys are modeled after the Pacific Electric Railway trolleys that crisscrossed the Los Angeles area from 1887 until 1961, with more than 1,000 miles of active track.
The Red Car Trolley is a 1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in) metre gauge tramway and transportation attraction at Disney California Adventure at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California. Construction began on January 4, 2010, and the attraction opened on June 15, 2012, as part of the re-dedication of the park. The trolley provides transportation between the park’s main entry at Buena Vista Street and Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: Breakout! in Hollywood Land. The bus conductors/drivers wear an old-fashioned uniform with a conductor’s hat and badge. There are two types of badges: a souvenir badge that is sold in Disneyland gift shops, and the official conductor uniform hat badges that are worn by employees. The souvenir badges are smaller and not as well made as the official badges. The official badge worn by Red Car conductors measures approx 4″ in length, are made of polished metal with two slots for fasteners, which are marked “RED CAR TROLLEY); the badges are curved with the words “RED CAR TROLLEY” “COMFORT-SPEED-SAFETY” “CONDUCTOR” on the front. (Also see Disneyland Transportation Company.)
RED DIAMOND BUS LINE COMPANY was operating in 1920 between Greenup and Ashland, Kentucky. (This area is part of the Huntington-Ashland, West Virginia-Kentucky-Ohio Metropolitan Statistical Area.) It was founded by J. H. Pennington and his son, Lawrence Pennington, who sold the company in 1929. It was still operating in 1931 when it was mentioned in a court case against Cannon Ball Transportation Company.
RED DOT COACH LINE was running in the late 1920s between Cincinnati, Ohio, and Falmouth, Ky. The company is mentioned in a 1927 law suit by Thomas Magnuson, who was doing business as the Ohio-Kentucky Interstate Bus Company, which ran between Dayton, Ohio, and Lexington, Ky.
RED LINE COMPANY was owned by Jacob Van Ramshorst, and given a certificate of incorporation March 29, 1921. It ran from Chicago Heights, Illinois, to the state line at Lansing, Illinois.
RED LINE MOTOR COMPANY was called a “pioneer in motor coach service” in a January 1930 newspaper article, which would indicate the company had been running throughout the 1920s. It operated between Collinsville and Troy, Illinois, and later ran into East St. Louis. In July 1926 it was granted a certificate of operation from Greenville to Vandalia, Illinois. It was bought by the Blue Goose Motor Coach Company in 1930. No further information.
RED LINE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. operated buses out of Livingston, Tennessee, in the 1920s and 1930s. It ran a route into Nashville, Tennessee.
RED STAR BUS LINE / RED STAR BUS LINE, INC. There are several bus companies with the name “Red Star Bus Line”. The first on the list was Red Star Bus Line, Inc.— incorporated on June 16, 1915, in the state of Pennsylvania—and operated as an interstate line out of Clinton, Pennsylvania. By 1925 it was running into Newark and Columbus, Ohio. The company was operating in the 1940s. The second on the list is from a notice dated January 26, 1934, wherein the Public Utilities Commission had approved the leasing of a Shearer Bus Line route running to Whitwell, Tennessee, to the Red Star Bus Line. The third on the list was the Red Star Bus Line, which operated a city bus line in the early 1920s in Clifton, New Jersey. John Zegal was the owner. More information is needed on these companies. The fourth Red Star Bus Line on the list was operating in the mid 1920s out of High Point, North Carolina. It ran from Asheboro via Randleman, Highways Nos. 77 and 70.
RED STAR COACHES, INC. was operating from Vernon, Texas, in the late 1920s, with C. M. Owens serving as manager. The company operated between Plainview and Vernon, serving Plainview, Lockney, Floydada, Matador, Paducah, Crowell, Thalia, Lockett and Vernon, Texas. In 1937 the company was bought out by Charles C. McMakin, owner of McMakin McMakin Motor Coaches, and combined with his operations forming McMakin Motor Coaches, Inc. By 1938 McMakin had bought out South Plains Motor Coaches, Inc. and was running both companies. That merger would lead to the founding of Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma Coaches, Inc. (TNM&O) in 1939. That year the Russell’s Guide listed McMakin Motor Coaches, Inc. and TNM&O Coaches, Inc., as one and the same company. Interestingly, Charles McMakin isn’t mentioned in the company’s operations, while C. M. Owens, who was the former general manager of Red Star Coaches, Inc., which Charles C. McMakin had bought out in 1937, was listed as the traffic manager for TNM&O Coaches. In 1946 TNM&O Coaches was operating 50 buses over 1743 route miles, with C. M. Owens serving as secretary-treasurer and public relations director.
RED STAR LINES, INC. / RED STAR MOTOR COACHES, INC. / RED STAR TRAILWAYS began operations in 1923 as the Eastern Shore Transit Company, Inc. with service between Salisbury, Maryland, and Clairborne-Annapolis Ferry. Red Star Motor Coaches, Inc. was formed when Eastern Shore Transit changed ownership and expanded service. The new owner—Day & Zimmermann, Inc., an engineering-development firm—organized under the laws of Maryland on October 28, 1925, as a “carrier of passengers and, to a certain extent, of express and newspapers. In addition to its tangible operating properties, it had certain permits or franchises to operate over fixed routes and owned 50 percent of the capital stock of the Red Star Garage & Terminal Company.” It served Salisbury, Wilmington, Baltimore, Clairborne, Ocean City, Cambridge, Hurlock and Philadelphia. On January 22, 1930, the name was changed to Red Star Lines, Inc. Lee Webster Selfe, a minor stock holder, was the general manager. In 1939 the company joined joined Trailways as Red Star Trailways. (This affiliation continued until 1947.) On December 28, 1951, Red Star Motor Coaches, Inc. was taken over by Carolina Coach Company, which was headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina.
RED STAR MOTOR COACHES, INC. See Red Star Lines, Inc.
RED STAR STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1910s out of San Francisco, California. The following is a brief history of the company, which came from a post on the Net: “I Asked Railroad Historian John Schmale Posted on March 6, 2009 by June Morrall: Where did the Auto Stage pick passengers up on the Coastside? The Ocean Shore Auto Stage Company’s route was from Tunitas, in San Mateo County, to Swanton in Santa Cruz County. The franchise for the route was granted to them by the State Railroad Commission to connect the railheads and bridge the 26 mile ‘Gap.’ The buses (two 12- passenger ‘Stanley Steamer Mountain Wagons’ with convertible tops) ran to San Francisco only when the Ocean Shore Railroad was shut down by mud slides and washouts, which was fairly often. When the two Steamers operated to San Francisco and towns other than their assigned route they were really in violation of their franchise. However, the Railroad Commission looked the other way. Beginning in about 1914 several auto jitney and bus lines began competing with the Ocean Shore Railroad including the ‘Coastside Transportation Company’ and the ‘Red Star Stage Line’ which operated along the coast in San Mateo County. They used conventional gas-powered vehicles and served Moss Beach, Marine View, Salada, Vallemar, Rockaway, San Pedro, Montara, Half Moon Bay, and other towns. The Coastside Transportation Company had its northern terminal in San Francisco. The Red Star line traveled along Market Street in San Francisco and went as far as Pescadero.”
RED STAR TRANSPORTATION SERVICE / RED STAR TRANSPORTATION LINE A biography of Harold Pasco of Blaine, Ohio: “It was in 1919 that the Red Star Transportation lines were established and the business incorporated for ten thousand dollars. Harold Pasco was elected president of the company, of which Earl Smith became vice president and Harry Dunn secretary and treasurer. Mr. Pasco is now secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Red Star Transportation Corporation, whose subsidiaries are : the Wheeling-St. Clairsville Bus Company, of which Earl Smith is president, Harold Pasco vice president, and A. E. Host the secretary, treasurer and manager; the Cambridge-Newcomerstown Company, and the Wheeling-Barnesville line. These combined companies carry over fifty thousand passengers a month and Mr. Pasco and his associates in 1927 completed the building of a handsome bus terminal at Cambridge, the first building of its kind in Southeastern Ohio.” From the October 1922 issue of the National Taxicab and Motorbus Journal: “The Red Star Transportation Line has inaugurated a bus line from Springfiled to Bellefontaine through Urbana, Ohio . . . six Studebaker and Cadillac cars are being used.” In the November 1922 issue of Bus Transportation, Vol.1, No. 11 there is more detail: “Red Star Branch Line, Incorporated — The Dayton-Springfield division of the Red Star Transportation Company, Springfield, Ohio, has been incorporated for $25,000. All other divisions of the line also will be incorporated . . . At present the system operates from Wheeling, W. Va. to Dayton, and from Zanesville to Cambridge.” By 1923 the company was operating 131 Studebaker “Big-Six” autobuses that carried from 6 to 8 passengers each. In the mid-late 1920s the company was also operating out of Evansville, Indiana. By 1947 the company seems to be part of Red Star Way Lines, Inc. (See below.)
RED STAR WAY LINES, INC. was incorporated in 1922 in Ohio. Its offices were located in St. Clairsville, Ohio. A 1947 schedule noted that the company was “doing business as” “Red Star Way, Inc. / The Wheeling – St. Clairsville and Cambridge Transportation, Company / The Red Star Transportation Company. The cities served were Pittsburg, Weirton, Steubenville, Bridgeport, Wheeling, St. Clairsville, Bethesa, Barnesville, Woodsfield, Cambridge, New Concord, Zanesville and Columbus.” According to one source the company was acquired by the Lake Shore System in 1949. Apparently it continued under the name Red Star Way Line, since there is a notice that on September 3, 1959, Red Star Way, Inc. transferred its certificate to Muskingum Valley Transit Company.
RED and TAN LINES, INC. / ROCKLAND COACHES, INC. RED AND TAN LINES, INC. was established in 1932 in New Jersey and operated as an interstate bus company. In 1935 the company acquired Nyack Deluxe Coach Corporation and six years later, in 1941, was merged into Rockland Coaches, Inc., which had been operating since the early 1930s. In May 1937 Ernest Capitani, president of Hill Bus Company of Bergenfield, New Jersey, took over Rockland Coaches, Inc., and Spring Valley Motor Coach Company, Inc. In December 1945 Rockland Coaches bought the franchise and rolling stock of Rockland Bus Lines, Inc., which had been operated since 1928 by Thomas Rotella of West Haverstraw, New York. At that time Rockland Coaches, Inc., was headquartered at Spring Valley, New York. In 1966 Hill Bus Company was merged into Rockland Coaches, Inc., which was operating as Red and Tan Lines. Today it is a commuter coach company owned by Coach USA based in Westwood, New Jersey, and operates commuter bus service between New York City and points in Bergen County, New Jersey and Rockland County, New York, and provides local bus service in both locales north of Route 46. The badge is die pressed and has a single threaded post.
RED TOP BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s from Greenville, South Carolina. It ran from Hendersonville, North Carolina, to State Line at Chestnut Springs on route to Greenville, S. C., Highway No. 29. This company may be connected to the below Red Top Cab Company Bus Line. More info needed.
RED TOP CAB COMPANY BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Asheville, North Carolina.
REDDING – BIEBER STAGE LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of Redding, California. W. C. Allen and V. C. Linville were the registered contacts.
REDDING-FALL RIVER MILLS AUTO LINE was operating out of Redding, California, in the mid-1920s. J. D. Weast was the registered contact.
REDDING & HARRISON GULCH STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Redding, California. Charles A. House and L. T. Alward were the owners.
REDDING-WEAVERVILLE STAGE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Redding, California. L.T. Alward and A.H. Root were the registered contact. James Taylor was the owner.
REDLANDS-YUCAIPA VALLEY STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Redlands, California. G. A. Schoen was the owner.
REDWOOD PARK AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Boulder Creek, California. Oder was the owner.
REDWOOD-WOODSIDE STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Redwood City, California, to San Mateo. A.A. Hosford was the registered contact.
REED STAGE LINE was operating in the San Francisco Bay, California, area in 1922.
REINCHEER STAGES, INC. ran in 1919 in Chicago, Illinois. It was still operational in 1931.
RELIANCE MOTOR COACH COMPANY, INC. began operating in the 1950s in Railroad, Pennsylvania. It was founded by Carl W. Caskey as an intercity company serving York, Pennyslvania and Hampstead and Towson, Maryland running 8 buses over 230 route miles. In the summer of 1970 the company took over the city routes of York Bus Company in York, Pennsylvania; this also included the company’s contract with the city of York to transport school children. The company is still in business as a school transportation business.
REMINGTON BUS COMPANY, INC. ran in 1933 in Queens, New York City, on Liberty Ave.-111th Ave.
RENO-CALPINE STAGE / RENO-LOYALTON-CALPINE STAGE COMPANY was operating out of Reno, Nevada, and Middletown, California, in the mid-late 1920s. Roy L. Smith was the registered contact. The company was still operating out of Reno, Nevada’s Union Stage Depot in 1940.
REO GRANDE SOUTHERN RAILROAD / THE GALLOPING GOOSE (Information from the Town of Telluride, Colorado.) “In the booming era of the late 1800s, the Rio Grande Southern Railroad was built to service the remote mining communities high in the San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado. One hundred sixty-two miles of narrow gauge track transported people and provisions through the harsh, beautiful, mountainous landscape to the bustling towns of Telluride, Durango, Ouray and points in between. When the silver market crashed, the RGS was forced to scale down their operations to keep the railroad running, and the ingenious Galloping Goose, a gasoline-engine ‘railbus’ was invented. The first Goose was fabricated from the body of a Buick in 1931. Compared to the steam locomotive, it was economical to operate and maintain. The fleet was ultimately expanded to seven, with each new Goose an improved-upon design. The Geese galloped through the San Juans, carrying the U.S. Mail, passengers, and freight, until the 1950s.” The Galloping Goose buses ceased operation in 1952 when the RGSR abandoned their right of way. Today public transit is provided by The Galloping Goose Transit System, which is a fixed route transportation system funded jointly by the Town of Telluride and San Miguel County through a yearly intergovernmental agreement.
REO MOTOR BUS COMPANY, INC. was founded in 1922 in Rockford, Illinois, “to convey passengers and goods”. The incorporators were O. Ward Orr, John W. Smith and Charles A. Orr. O.W. Orr was the manager. Apparently this is a different company than the Reo Motor Bus Line Company listed below. (NOTE: this company was somehow connected to Service Motor Bus Company, Inc. of DeKalb, Illinois, which was operated by Charles A. Orr and Samuel D. Gunn. That company ran from 1922 until 1928, when its officers filed for dissolution of corporation.)
REO MOTOR BUS LINE COMPANY, INC. was an interstate bus company based in Danville, Illinois, and founded in 1922 by Frank E. Layne, Olive H. Layne and Wilbur R. Hicks. In 1925 it ran between Danville, Illinois to Crawfordsville, Indiana. In July 1929 it was given a certificate of operation over state road No. 34 between Danville and Indianapolis, Indiana. Apparently this is a different company than the Reo Motor Bus Company, Inc. listed above.
REYNOLDS TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / REYNOLDS LINES was listed in a WPA publication in the 1930s as serving West Virginia. In 1939 it was operating out of Elkins, W.V. and leased routes from the West Virginia Transportation Company, which ran between Buckhannon and Weston, West Virginia. In the 1950s the company advertised: “Seneca Route Ride Reynolds Line between Clarksburg and Bluefield — Shortest Route and a Ride Through Beautiful Country.”
A long time driver for the company was Junior Hiram Currence, of Elkins, W.V., who began with the company in 1945 and continued into the 1960s. In 1958 he was interviewed by a local newspaper: “My most treasured possessions is my collection of greeting cards which have been sent to me by former passengers from many corners of the globe.” Currence has met people from nearly all the 48 states and from many foreign countries. Passengers on Currence’s bus say they feel that he takes a personal interest in each one of them. He is interested in their comfort, sorrows and happiness, and also is kind and courteous at all times. When many of passengers go as far as his bus route will take them, they are often heard to say, ‘Oh yes, what is your name and address — I’ll send you a card when I get home.’ Hence many of them remember the ‘beyond-the-call-of-duty’ courtesy he has shown to them and take time to buy a card and send to a ‘Friendly Bus Driver.’” In 1960 the Reynolds Transportation Company was operating out of Buckhannon, West Virginia. The company was said to have lasted until 1971.
RICHARDSON SPRINGS STAGE was operating out of Chico, California, in the mid 1920s. Lee Richardson was the general manager.
RICHMOND HILL BUS LINE was a bus operator in the borough of Queens in New York City. It operated the Q10 bus route on Lefferts Boulevard from 1921 until it was taken over by Green Bus Lines.
RICHMOND-WASHINGTON MOTOR COACHES, INC. The company was incorporated on December 14, 1926, in Alexandria, Virginia, and was under the control of Robert Lee May, who also founded and operated the Alexandria, Barcroft & Washington Transit Company, also operating out of Alexandria, Virginia. In June 1928 the Northern Neck Transportation Company sold its franchise to the Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches. Inc., which absorbed the company’s routes. In April 1929 Robert May sold the Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches, Inc. to Motor Transit Corporation, which was to shortly change its corporate name to The Greyhound Corporation. More specific details of Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches, Inc. are found in a March 27, 1959, article in the Progress-Index from Petersburg, Virginia: “The origin of Richmond Greyhound Lines, Inc., is similar in many ways to that of Atlantic Greyhound Corporation. The original Company was incorporated December 14, 1926, as Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches, Inc., Alexandria, Virginia. Operation began on December 15, 1926, between Washington D. C. and Richmond, Virginia, over US Highway No. 1. Under the date of April 24, 1929 an agreement was entered into between L. C. Major and Robert Lee May to sell the entire 75 shares of Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches’ stock outstanding to Motor Transit Corporation. On August 26, 1929, 49 per cent of the 75 shares were sold by Motor Transit Corporation to the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad Company.” In August 1929, the R.F.& P. Transportation Co. and the competing Richmond-Washington Motor Coaches (owned by The Greyhound Company) merged to form the Richmond Greyhound Lines, Inc.
RICKS BUS LINE / RICKS TOURS was operated by Paul T. Ricks out of Greenville, North Carolina, in the mid 1940s. It ran from Burgaw to Elizabethtown via Ward’s Corner and White Lake.
RIDGE ROAD EXPRESS, INC. / R. R. EXPRESS From the company’s website we have this history: “In 1929, after a year of driving for Ridge Road Express – Ralph A. Weeks purchased the company, a two-bus operation based in Jeddo, NY. With Mr. Weeks behind the wheel of a 15 passenger 1927 Garford bus and Mrs. Weeks driving a seven-passenger Buick Sedan, Ridge Road Express began its first regularly scheduled line run, offering service between Lockport and Lyndonville NY along Ridge Road (Route 104). But, as times changed, so did the company and today nearly 80 percent of our current operation is carrying students. With 300 buses and vans serving 10 school districts, Ridge Road Express safely transports 3.6 million students per year. In 1935, the Weeks family purchased Grand Island Transit Corporation (GITC), an inter-city bus line offering service between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY across Grand Island. Over the years, GITC evolved into a full-service deluxe charter and tour motorcoach company now known as Grand Tours. Today we operate 15 deluxe motorcoaches with an average fleet age of 4.3 years.” As to the badge shown here, the first thing to notice is the misspelled name (“Exspress“), and the second point is that there is no sure evidence that “R.R. Exspress” is one and the same as Ridge Road Express. The badge has no maker’s mark, has a single threaded post, a single pin post and measures approx. 2″. This company may or may not be one and the same as the below Ridge Road Passenger Lines, Inc.
RIDGE ROAD PASSENGER LINES, INC. was operating in the early 1920s in Rochester, New York, running a route on Ridge Road. There is a photo of one of its buses, a 1923 White Model 50, which was taken in 1923 by the White Motor Company. (The photo is for sale by the ATHS Collections Gallery.) The January 5, 1927, edition of the Democrat and Chronicle from Rochester, gives the final chapter in this company’s history: “Albany, Jan, 4. Rochester Railways (Coordinated Bus Lines, Inc., subsidiary of the New York State Railways), today filed a petition with the Public Service Commission for a certificate of public convenience and necessity for the operation of motor bus lines in Rochester, Hilton, Parma and Greece. Four route are named in the petition, known as the Grand View bus line, the Island Cottage bus line, the Ridge Road bus line, and the Manitou Beach line, also known as the Long pond route. The Ridge Road Passenger Lines, Inc., which formerly operated on the Ridge Road line, was purchased by the petitioner.” This company may or may not be one and the same as the above Ridge Road Express.
RILEY BUS LINES On February 16, 1932, Isaac Riley made his first round trip to Eufaula from Ozark in a 1931 5-passenger automobile. He worked on a contract basis for the Central Georgia Railroad, hauling passengers, express and mail. In 1935 the Central Georgia Railroad transferred its franchise to Riley and paid him a salary. At that time Riley bought an 18-passenger bus. In 1938 the line was expanded to include Ozark to Hartford, via Daleville, Clayhatchee and Wicksburg. He later obtained a franchise to Abbeville via Echo and Clopton. In 1942 the company included the newly-built Camp Ricker. By 1944 the company was operating 29 buses. By 1950 Riley Bus Lines was operating 10 Flxible 29-passenger buses on five scheduled runs, including from Ozark to Columbus, Georgia. According to one source, the company operated until 1955.
RILEY BUS LINES began operating in 1931 in Corsicana, Texas, after Texas Electric Railway streetcars were discontinued.
RILEY STAGE LINE was operating in the San Francisco Bay, California, area in 1922.
RIO GRANDE MOTOR WAY, INC. / RIO GRAND TRAILWAYS In 1927 the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railway formed a trucking and bus subsidiary called the Rio Grande Motorway. The company, which was headquartered in Denver, Colorado, and, in its early operation, acquired other bus lines, including Western Slope Motorway, San Luis Valley Bus Company and Inland Pacific Stages. In 1936 the company joined Trailways as Rio Grand Trailways, and operated between Denver and Pueblo and Salt Lake City, via Tennessee Pass, with feeder schedules in central and western Colorado and Utah. In 1946 the company operated 66 buses over 1950 route miles, and also 246 trucks. In 1948 the company sold to Transcontinental Bus System / Continental Trailways. The below badge is made of bras and measures 2¼” x 2⅜”; the question is whether or not this badge was for the rail line or bus service or for both. One collector says the company used the badge for both. As for the trucking line, they did issue their own distinct badges.
RIO VISTA TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Rio Vista, California. It operated between Isleton, Rio Vista and Rio Vista Junction and connected to the Sacramento Northern Railroad.
RITZENTHALER BUS LINES / RITZENTHALER BUS SERVICE was founded by Bruce A. Ritzenthaler in 1956 in the Chicago, Illinois, area. It appears that the company mostly had contracts with various school districts transporting school children. Ritzenthaler was president of the National School Bus Service in 1970, and also owned and operated Kline’s School Bus Service until 1987.
RIVER AUTO STAGE was operating out of Sacramento, California in the mid 1920s. B. Gibson was the president.
RIVER FOREST-NORTH WEST MOTOR COACH COMPANY began bus service in Elmwood Park, River Grover and Franklin Park, which are suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, in 1926. In 1930 it was renamed Leyden Motor Coach Company.
ROANOKE RAILWAY AND ELECTRIC COMPANY ran streetcars in Roanoke, Virginia, from 1910 until 1941. The badge was made by FIFTH AVENUE UNIFORM COMPANY 19 SO. WELLS CHICAGO and measures approx. 2″ x 2¼ with a single threaded post.
ROBB & BAILEY TRANSIT COMPANY / ROBB TRANSPORTATION COMPANY Robb & Bailey Transit Company was granted authority to operate transit service between the Salinas Airport and the City of Salinas, California, in 1937. The company filed for bankruptcy in 1940 and was sold to Bruce W. Robb, who then founded the Robb Transportation Company, which provided transit service in Salinas, California during the 1940’s. Robb Transportation Company ceased operating transit service in Salinas in 1953. It was replaced in 1954 by the Salinas Transit Company, which provided service to Salinas and the Alisal area.
ROCHESTER CAR LINE was a bus (or “jitney” service) operating in Rochester, Minnesota, in the 1910s. To date I have found nothing about this business other than several different surviving postcards.
ROCHESTER INTERURBAN BUS COMPANY, INC. was owned by the New York State Railways, which also owned the Darling Bus Line and the East Avenue Bus Company. “Rochester (N.Y.) Common Council – 1922: Permission is hereby granted to the Rochester Interurban Bus Co., Inc., Rochester, New York, to enter the City of Rochester on Genesee Street at the city line with its motor buses which it operates or may operate between the City of Rochester and the village of LeRoy, New York, proceed on to Plymouth Avenue Terminal.” The company was still running in 1940.
ROCHESTER-PENFIELD BUS COMPANY, INC. / VALLEY BUS LINE / VALLEY TRAILWAYS Rochester-Penfield Bus Company was founded in 1934 by Max F. Cowan, and operated between Penfield and Rochester, New York. In 1958 the company purchased Blue Bus Lines and extended service to Buffalo, New York. On source says that the company took the name Valley Bus Line in 1958; however, it is listed as Valley Bus Line in the 1947 MTD. The 1951 Russell’s Guide list Valley Bus Line as “Owned and Operated by Rochester-Pennfiled Bus Company.” (“Pennfield” is misspelled in the guide.) That year the company was operating between Rochester and Perry, New York. In 1954 the company was operating 16 buses over 276 route miles and serving Rochester, Penfield, Avon, Perry, Dansville, Bath, Corning and Elmira, New York. Max Cowan was listed as the manager. I’m not sure when the company joined National Trailways Bus System. It’s membership isn’t noted in the sources cited above. Information about the company after 1958 follows: According to The Encyclopedia of New York State (Syracuse University Press, 2005) “Western New York Motor Lines (trade name, Blue Bus Lines) was organized in 1924 to combine the rights of operators that had started service in 1916 between Batavia (Genesee County) and Rochester. These were joined in 1925 with a Batavia-Buffalo line started in 1921 . . . Rochester-Penfield Bus Company (later Valley Trailways) was organized in 1934, and it acquired Blue Bus Lines [i.e., Western New York Motor Lines] in 1958, continuing operations under that name.” Beginning in 1958 the Rochester-Penfield Bus Company was operating as Western New York Motor Lines / Blue Bus Lines. The Fall 2005 issue of Headend from The Journal of the New York Museum of Transportation, adds: “The resulting company served Akron, Attica, and Caledonia-Avon-Scottsville on the west side, Fairport and Penfield to the east, and Geneseo, Leicester, Mount Morris and Dansville to the south. Shortly after the  merger, the line joined the Trailways system as Blue Valley Trailways and later Empire State Trailways.” The name Empire State Trailways was adopted in 1962 and shortened to Empire Trailways in 1975. Adirondack Trailways acquired the Empire Trailways routes in 1994, operating them separately as New York Trailways.
ROCHESTER RAILWAY COMPANY The Rochester Railway and Light Company was incorporated on May 26, 1904, to consolidate the Rochester Gas and Electric Company and the Rochester Light and Power Company with a controlling interest in the Rochester Railway Company. The merger was intended to combine all of the electric utility and streetcar properties in the city of Rochester. Through its Mohawk Valley Company subsidiary, the New York Central Railroad (NYC) purchased control of the Rochester Railway Company in 1905, and its parent company, the Rochester Railway and Light Co., along with the Rochester and Eastern Rapid Railway and the Rochester and Sodus Bay Railway lines. Together with the former Canandaigua Street Railroad operation, these four lines became the Rochester Lines of the New York State Railways in 1909. Control of the Rochester Railway Company was passed to New York State Railways. The Rochester Railways Coordinated Bus Lines was formed in 1923 to operate bus transit lines separate from the railway.
ROCHESTER RAILWAYS COORDINATED BUS LINES, INC. From the November 15, 1923, issue of Automotive Industries: “Rochester, N.Y., Nov. 13  – Three gasoline and five electrically operated buses have been put in operation here by the New York State Railways as feeders to the regular trolley system of the company in this city. The Rochester Railways Co-ordinated Bus Lines, Inc., has been organized as a subsidiary of the New York State Railways to operate the buses. The electric buses, or ‘trackless trolleys,’ are used as crosstown lines to feed the main trunk lines of the street car system. The gasoline buses are used as feeders in the outlying districts, connecting the city street car system with the outlying districts beyond the city limits.” The buses ran in the city of Rochester, the village of Hilton and the towns of Parme and Greece and in Monroe County. (The Rochester Railways Company was owned by the New York State Railways, which controlled the Darling Bus Line, the East Avenue Bus Co., and the Rochester Interurban Bus Co.) When the parent company went into receivership, a committee of bondholders and local supporters called for public control of the Rochester Lines. A reorganization plan was submitted to the courts in 1937, and in 1938 the new Rochester Transit Corporation (RTC) took over the operation of all former Rochester Railway Company bus and rail transit franchises. In 1968 the city of Rochester took over and reorganize the system as Rochester Transit Service. The old Rochester Railway transit franchises operated by RTC were transferred to the Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority in 1969.
ROCHESTER TRANSIT CORPORATION (RTC) / ROCHESTER TRANSIT SERVICE was a privately owned, for-profit transit company that operated streetcar, rail, and bus transit in the city of Rochester, New York, and surrounding suburban areas from 1938 until 1968. The new Rochester Transit Service began operations on May 23. Later that year, the RTS bus operations were acquired by the new Rochester-Genesee Regional Transportation Authority. There are three different badges: One is made of celluloid and measures approx. 3¼” x 1¼”; the badge to the right is die pressed with a single threaded post and measures 2¼”; the badge below left is die pressed with a single threaded post and measures 3½” x 1¾”.
ROCK ISLAND-MOLINE CITY LINES Rock Island, Illinois. The privately owned Tri-City Railway Co. oversaw the implementation of buses onto its routes during the late ’30s. In 1942, the company’s operations were taken over by the newly formed Iowa-Illinois Gas and Electric Co. That was bought out by National City Lines in 1950 which set up the Rock Island-Moline City Lines to run buses in Rock Island, Illinois. In 1970 the Moline, Rock Island, East Moline, Milan, and Silvis formed the Rock Island County Metropolitan Mass Transit District, or the barely-more-catchy acronym RICMMTD.
ROCK SPRINGS BUS LINE According to a 1946 Kingston, Tennessee, Rotary Club publication, this company started in 1944, and served from the city to Rock Springs with one bus.
ROCKFORD CITY TRACTION COMPANY was formed on March 3, 1911 in Rockford, Illinois. In 1921 it operated three bus lines as feeders to its local rail routes using four White Model 50 chassis with twenty-five passenger bodies.
ROCKLAND COACHES, INC. See Red and Tan Lines.
ROCKVILLE BUS LINE ran in 1926 in Rockville, Indiana.
ROCKVILLE CENTRE BUS CORPORATION was founded in 1927 and operated buses on Long Island, New York. It was owned by BEE LINE, INC., which was both a holding company and service bus line. Rockville Centre Bus Corp. was running in 1952 and served Rockville Centre, Lakeview, Long Beach, Island Park, Hempstead, Oceanside. The company later acquired by Metropolitan Suburban Bus Authority in 1973.
ROCKVILLE & CLINTON BUS COMPANY There is only one mention of this company on the Net, which is from the April 27, 1930, edition of the Indianapolis Star from Indianapolis, Indiana: “Interstate service, that is, service between states, is handled here by the Greyhound lines, Swallow Coach Company and the Colonial Stages. Intrastate service (service within the borders of the state of Indiana) is cared for locally by the Indiana Motor Transit Company, Good Bros. Bus Company, Rockville and Clinton Bus Company, White Swan Lines, Indiana Safety Coach Company, Indianapolis & Southeastern Bus Company, Interstate Public Service Company.” It is not listed in the 1939 Russell’s Guide, so it may have been out of business by that date. On the other hand, it may be one and the same as the Indianapolis – Rockville – Clinton Bus Company, which was in business at this time.
ROCKY MOUNT-NASHVILLE-SPRING HOPE BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Rocky Mount, North Carolina. J. S. Cockrell was the owner.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN MOTOR COMPANY See Rocky Mountain Parks Transportation Company.
ROCKY MOUNTAIN PARKS TRANSPORTATION COMPANY This company’s history starts with Roe Emery (1875-1953). Emery was one of two men who were behind the creation of Glacier National Park’s famous red-bus transportation system—Glacier Park Transportation Company—in 1914. The second man was Walter White, vice president of the White Motor Company, Inc. Emery and White decided to do the same in the Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado as they had done in Glacier. In 1916 they formed tour service that would carry passengers from the Colorado & Southern Railroad railhead in Denver into the Rocky mountains. Their next move was to purchase Freelan Oscar Stanley’s transportation service, which was already operating Stanley Steamer “buses” out of Estes Park into the Rocky Mountain National Park. (Stanley and his twin brother, Francis E. Stanley, were the inventors of the famous motorcars, Stanley Steamer.) In April 1919 the National Park Service granted Emery a 20-year exclusive contract “to carry passengers in the Park for profit.” This legal monopoly created a major controversy that carried on for years, as it essentially shut down a number of small bus companies in the area. Once he received his contract, Emery opted to buy vehicles made by the White Motor Company instead of the Stanley Steamers that came with the purchase of Freelan Stanley’s bus service. With his monopoly secured, in 1923 Emery bought up several area hotels, including Estes Park Chalet hotel, a large hotel in Estes Park, which he enlarged to 300 rooms. (This hotel was where Emery’s buses arrived from Denver with tourists, thus using his transportation monopoly to his further profit.) In 1925 the company’s buses included 80 11-passenger “busses” and 12 7-passenger touring cars. That year the company carried 12,450 passengers. As Emery’s business ventures expanded, his bus service was renamed the Rocky Mountain Motor Company. The company continued until May 1968 when it was taken over by Yellow Cab and renamed Rocky Mountain Motor Company, Inc.
ROESCH LINES, INC. / ROESCH TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was founded in 1923 (or 1927 by a different account) by Jacob A. & Melissa Roesch in San Bernardino, California, that was originally Roesch Transportation Company. It began as a school bus company, although it soon expanded to regular passenger service. Jake Roesch retired in 1952 and left the running of the company to his son, Jack Roesch, who purchased Mountain Auto Line from Max Green in 1955. After 75 years as a family-owned business, Roesch Lines Inc. sold its San Bernardino charter coach company to Laidlaw, Inc. in 1998. There are several entries on the Net about this company: “Coach USA acquires pair of California operations; February 17, 2005 Coach USA LLC has acquired two ground transportation companies in Southern California. The two companies are San Bernardino-based Roesch Lines Inc., which also operates as Gray Line, and AirportBus of Anaheim, a scheduled bus company that provides tourists with airport shuttle service plus transportation to attractions. With the acquisition of Roesch, the company now operates the Gray Line brand in the major tourist destinations of Southern California and San Francisco.” Another entry on the Net reads: “This organization primarily operates in the Intercity and Rural Bus Transportation business / industry within the Local & Suburban Transit & Interurban Highway Transportation sector. This organization has been operating for approximately 90 years.” The badge is made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R. I. and measures 3″ x 2⅛”
SAMUEL R. ROGERS BUS LINES was founded by Samuel R. Rogers in the 1910s, carrying passengers in a horse-drawn wagon in the Hyde Park area of New York. By the early 1920s Rogers operated intercity motor buses from Hyde Park to Poughkeepsie, New York. In December 1925 Rogers applied to the Public Service Commission to transfer his franchise and rights to the Mid-Hudson Bus Lines, Inc., which was a new company founded by Rogers and brothers Valentine Frank and Edward A. Frank. In September 1931 the Frank brothers sold their interest in Mid-Hudson Bus Lines to Samuel R. Rogers and partners Edward O’Rourke and Irving Taylor. The January 28, 1936, edition of the Poughkeepsie Eagle-News from Poughkeepsie, New York announced that the “Poughkeepsie route of the Mid-Hudson Bus Line, Inc., has been transferred to the Twilight Bus Line which operates between Rhinebeck and Poughkeepsie. It was said tonight by Samuel R Rogers, president of the Mid-Hudson company that the change went into effect on Saturday. . . . The Mid-Hudson line will devote its business entirely to the operation of three school buses for which it has a contract with the Hyde Park school district to carry approximately 60 students to and from Staatsburg high school.” The article went on to explain that the Poughkeepsie line of the Mid-Hudson was losing money, which was the reason for its sale. After this date there is no mention of the company on the Internet or in various transit directories.
ROGERS’ MOTOR LINES was founded in Gladwin, Michigan in 1923 by Ray C. Rogers (1897-1988). The line ran between Gladwin, Beaverton, Edenville, Hope, Midland, Auburn and Bay City, Michigan. It closed down in 1948.
ROME & BOONEVILLE AUTO BUS COMPANY, INC. in 1917 this company was given a permit to operate through Dominick St., North James St. North George St. and Turin St. in Rome, New York.
ROME & NORTHERN AUTO-BUS COMPANY In 1917 a certificate was s granted to the “Rome & Northern Auto Bus Company to operate along North James St. and upon other streets in Rome for picking up passengers” in Rome, New York.
ROME TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was founded in Rome, New York in September 1927 as an intercity bus company. It is mentioned in the September 1927 edition of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle from Brooklyn, New York.
ROOSEVELT BUS LINE, INC. was based in Freeport, Long Island, New York. It was not running in 1946, but in 1952-1954 the MTD listed the company as serving Long Island with 9 buses. In 1956 it ran 3 buses over 6.6 miles but was serving the city of Freeport.
HARVEY ROSE AUTO STAGE COMPANY was operating out of Martinez, California, in the mid 1920s.
ROSE CITY TRANSFER & STORAGE COMPANY ran a bus in Newcastle, Indiana, in 1925.
ROSE CITY TRANSIT COMPANY was a private company that operated most mass transit service in the city of Portland, Oregon, from 1956 to 1969. Rose City Transit was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Portland Traction Company (PTC), which was also its predecessor. The badge measures 1¾” X 1⅛” and has a single threaded post.
ROWAN-CABARRUS BUS LINE, INC. In September 1943 the Carolina Coach Company, Inc., applied to purchase Fesperman Bus Company, owned by C. A. Fesperman. “The purchaser, Carolina Coach Company, is a North Carolina corporation doing business as a common carrier of passengers by motor vehicle engaged in interstate and intrastate commerce within the State of North Carolina over franchise routes granted by the Interstate Commerce Commission and the North Carolina Utilities Commission, C. A. Fesperman, doing business as Fesperman Bus Company, has been operating a bus service over franchise routes from the southern part of Rowan County and ‘ vicinity since December 18, 1942, and has built up an appreciable business which the purchaser believes will make a remunerative subsidiary operation as feeder to its main line between Greensboro and Charlotte. . . . Applicant further requested authority by petition filed in this cause to be permitted to organize a subsidiary corporation under the laws of the State of North Carolina to be known as Rowan-Cabarrus Bus Line, Incorporated . . . the Commission hereby gives its approval and authorizes the Rowan-Cabarrus Bus Line, Incorporated, when organized, to acquire tangible property and franchise certificates of the said C. A. Fesperman, doing business as Fesperman Bus Company, according to the terms and conditions of the agreement of date August 18, 1943 . . . Certificate No. 534, a common carrier by motor bus of passengers, mail, newspapers and light express from Rockwell, North Carolina, over State Highway No. 152 to Miller’s Store via county highway through Faith and Mirror Lake to Salisbury, and return.“
In January 23, 1947, the Carolina Coach Company (a subsidiary of Consolidated Electric & Gas Company, which was a holding company) applied to the Securities and Exchange Commission to liquidate and dissolved Rowan-Cabarrus Bus Line, Inc.
THE ROYAL BLUE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. This company was operating in the late teens. It is advertising in a 1921 Greensboro, North Carolina, newspaper. There is this entry from North Carolina Corporation Commission: “Under the Commission’s Order of March 14, 1925, six applications were filed for service on the line between Charlotte, N. C, and Greensboro, N. C, namely: Kirk’s Auto Bus Service. Piedmont Stage Line, Inc. Charlotte-Concord Bus Line. Dixie Motor Coach Line, Inc. Blue Star Bus Line. The Royal Blue Transportation Co., Inc. The Commission called the carriers to a conference on April 3, 1925, for the purpose of separating the operation of the equipment on time schedules primarily to prevent racing and controversy between the drivers. . . . These carriers have been operating with keen competition and little was known as to the financial results of their operation, therefore, without attempting to ascertain the adequacy of the service the Commission made twenty-six temporary daily schedules, thirty minutes apart, allocated as follows:
Kirk’s Auto Bus Service, eight round trips; Piedmont Stage Line, Inc., seven round trips Charlotte-Concord Bus Line, three round trips; Dixie Motor Coach, Inc., four round trips; White Bus Line, one round trip Blue Star Bus Line, two round trips; Royal Blue Transportation Co., Inc., two round trips.”
ROYAL CADILLAC SERVICES, INC. was an intercity bus company located in Monticello, New York, that ran in New York during the 1930s and 1940s. In 1939 its route was Monticello, Ellensville and Liberty, New York. The July 16, 1942, edition of the Indiana Gazette from Indiana, Pennsylvania carried this mention of the company: “The Office of Defense Transportation issued special orders today governing bus service between Philadelphia and Rehoboth Beach, Del. and Salisbury Md. and between New York City and points in Ulster and Sullivan Counties, N. Y. Companies affected by the orders are the Short Line, Inc., of Pennsylvania, Red Star Motor Coaches, Inc., and Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines, on the Philadelphia route, and the Royal Cadillac Service, Inc., and Crescent Express Lines, Inc. in New York. Each order requires the companies to honor one another’s tickets, stagger schedules, and, wherever possible, eliminate duplicate depot facilities and ticket agencies. On the Philadelphia-Rehoboth Beach and Salisbury routes, companies affected must publish joint time tables and cancel all excursion fares. They are also prohibited from making seasonal increases.” According to one source, the company ceased operations in 1943.
ROYAL RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY From what I can tell, this company started in the mid-20s. In 1927 the company purchased the Madison Airways Corporation. The airport was quickly renamed the Royal Airport and the Royal Airways Corporation, in Madison, Wisconsin. The following year the company sold off this acquisition. In Sept. 1928 the company started a bus service between Madison, Janesville and Beloit, and Madison, Dodgeville, and State Line, Illinois. Eventually Royal Rapid Transit Company became part of Northland Greyhound Lines.
RUBICON SPRINGS STAGE was operating out of Lake Tahoe, California, in the mid 1920s.
RUOFF BROTHERS was a bus operator in the borough of Queens in New York City. It operated the Q7 bus route before it was taken over by Green Bus Lines.
RUSHVILLE & BEARDSTOWN TAXI COMPANY was granted a certificate of operation by Illinois Public Utility Commision on March 30, 1921, to transport persons and property by motor bus between the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad passenger depot in the City of Beardstown and the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad passenger depot in the City of Beardstown. Ralph Simpson was the president of the company and William F. Pelton was the secretary.
FRED A. RUSSELL BUS LINE / RUSSELL MOTORBUS LINE Fred A. Russell started his bus business in 1926 when he bought the Flushing-Flint route, which was once a stage coach line in the 1890s. In 1939 the company ran between Flushing to Flint, Michigan. Russell expanded his company by purchasing the Flint-Port Huron Bus Lines, and the Flint-Caro-Sebewaing Bus Line. He consolidated these companies into Valley Coach Lines about the time World War II started. By 1946 the company was running 6 buses over 125 route miles. In 1966 the company reached the two million miles mark accident free.
RUTHERFORD COACH COMPANY was operating in 1928 as an intercity bus line in Rutherford County, Tennessee.
RYLE’S AUTO BUS LINE This company started with Henry Ryle, who operated a livery stable in Erlanger, Kentucky, in the early 1900s. He operated a horse-drawn bus from the Erlanger the Erlanger Southern Railroad station to Burlington, Kentucky. A historical account “indicates that this busline went from the end of the Ft. Mitchell carline at Dixie Highway and Orphanage Road in Ft. Mitchell to Crescent Springs and Villa Madonna Academy. The exact date is not given but in 1927 a Studebaker 15-passenger bus was obtained for this line. The Ryle busline was sold to the High Line but this company did not last till the end of World War II.” (Information from Notes on the Transportation Tokens of Northern Kentucky by Larry Kemper, published in the January 2000 edition of The Fare Box.) Bus tokens are known for this company.
Copyright © 2019 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.