Photos of badges from BUS COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “T”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
T (MASSACHUSETTS BAY TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY abbreviated MBTA and known colloquially as The T) is the public agency responsible for operating most public transportation services in Greater Boston, Massachusetts. Earlier modes of public transportation in Boston were independently owned and operated; many were first folded into a single agency with the formation of the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) in 1947. The MTA was replaced in 1964 with the present-day MBTA, which was established as an individual department within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts before becoming a division of the Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) in 2009.The badge measures 2½” x 3″ and was made by BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY.
T. C. T. It is impossible to place this badge without addition information, i.e., provenance. Judging by the design of the badge, it is likely from the 1940s. That would potentially place the badge with the following companies: Traverse City Transit Lines, Inc. Traverse City, Michigan; Tri City Transit, Aberdeen, Washington; Tri City Transportation Co., Leaksville, N. C.; Tri City Transportation Co., Mound City , Illinois; Triple Cities Traction Co., Binghamton, N.Y.; Twin Cities Transit, Yuba City, California; Twin City Transporation Co., Marinette, Wisconsin and Twin City Transportation Co., Menominee, Michigan. There could be others. Hopefully someone will be able to help out on this badge. It is made of nickel-plated brass and has 2 threaded posts. No makers mark.
TACOMA BUS COMPANY See BREMERTON – TACOMA STAGES, INC.
TACOMA MUNICIPAL BELT LINE was operating in the 1940s from 1171 E. Taylor Way in Tacoma, Washington. It was a local city-owned bus company that operated 30 buses over 35 route miles. The general manager was C. A. Erdahl, Commissioner of Dept. of Public Utilities, City Hall, Tacoma.
TACOMA RAILWAY & POWER COMPANY, also known as the Tacoma Street Car Company (a name incorporated in the company’s logo), the company was incorporated in 1899 and ran streetcars in Tacoma, Washington. By 1928 Tacoma’s city directory shows three streetcar companies serving Tacoma: Pacific Traction Co., which ran tracks to American Lake; the Tacoma Railway & Power Co., which ran to Steilacoom; and the Puget Sound Electric Railway, which ran lines to Kent and Seattle. The company abandoned streetcars and cable cars on June 11, 1938, in favor of buses. At that time the company changed the style of their driver’s uniforms from the traditional streetcar style, to the more familiar bus driver’s uniforms of the 1930s-1950s. The cap badge was redesigned from the traditional streetcar design to the traditional bus driver’s hat badge.
When streetcar service ceased, Life magazine reported the last night of service: “Tacoma’s trolley service had been beloved and reliable transportation for half a century, as highlighted by the extravagant and nostalgic celebration marking the end of service and the new era of motorized buses with rubber tires. Life documented the party that filled the streets on the evening of June 11, 1938, as revelers stripped 21 streetcars bare for souvenirs in just two hours, snagging everything from the coveted brass whistles and seats to electric light bulbs. The magazine reported that the final hours were ‘complete chaos’.” (“Life Goes to a Party to Celebrate the End of Trolley Transportation in Tacoma, Wash.,” Life, July 11, 1938, pp. 62-65.)
On April 6, 1941, Tacoma Railway & Power Company changed the company name to Tacoma Transit Company. The hat badge style remained the same but with a change of company names. In 1946 the company ran 125 buses over 96 route miles. Tacoma Transit Company was acquired by the city of Tacoma in 1961 for $750,000. The name was changed to the City of Tacoma Transit System. A public transportation benefit area (PTBA) was created in 1979 with the goal of establishing a countywide bus system. On November 6, 1979, voters in Tacoma approved a 0.3 percent sales tax to fund a new transit system, the Pierce County Transportation Benefit Area or “Pierce Transit“. On January 1, 1980, Pierce Transit assumed the operations of the City of Tacoma Transit System. Over the following year the compan annexed other systems throughout the county. Pierce Transit is still in operation.
There are three known badges: The first badge is made of enameled brass and measures 4″ in length.
TACOMA SUBURBAN LINES, INC. was operating in the late 1940s at 801 Pacific Ave, Tacoma, Washington. In 1954 it served the suburbs of Tacoma running 12 buses over 180 route miles. A later government document notes that the company was incorporated in May 1957 and was located at 801 Pacific Ave, Tacoma, Washington; however, the 1952, 1954 editions of the MTD note that the company was incorporated at the time of their publications at the same address. In 1960 the company served Fort Lewis, McChord Field, Madigan General Hospital and Mt. Ranier Ordnance Depot. In 1960 it ran 17 buses over 23 route miles. The company’s weekday peak hours were from 8:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m., when it carried an average of 400 passengers per hour. The later owner was Paul H Harmon who also owned BREMERTON-TACOMA STAGES, INC. The badge was made of metal and enamel.
Additional info if found in the lengthy obituary of Paul Holt Harmon from Mountain View Funeral Home, which was published on November 29, 2002, in Tacoma, Washington. According to the obituary, Harmon, who was 73, was one of those featured in a book, Washington Diversity in the Pacific Northwest. Here is a portion of that obituary mentioning Harmon’s entry into the public transportation industry: “It all began in 1949, when young Paul Harmon became a night shift driver at what was then Tacoma Suburban Lines. Harmon acquired the Tacoma Suburban Lines along with three other companies from 1974 to 1978, and became a member carrier in the National Trailways Bus System. . . . Today, Harmon is the chief executive officer of Cascade Trailways.”
TACOMA TRANSIT COMPANY/ TACOMA TRANSIT SYSTEM On June 11, 1938, the Tacoma Railway & Power Company ceased operating streetcars in Tacoma, Washington, in favor of buses. On April 6, 1941, Tacoma Railway & Power Company changed the company name to Tacoma Transit Company. The hat badge style remained the same but with a change of company names. In 1946 the company ran 125 buses over 96 route miles. Tacoma Transit Company was acquired by the city of Tacoma in 1961 for $750,000. The name was changed to the City of Tacoma Transit System. In 1979 a public transportation benefit area (PTBA) was created with the goal of establishing a countywide bus system. On November 6, 1979, voters in Tacoma approved a 0.3 percent sales tax to fund a new transit system, the Pierce County Transportation Benefit Area or “Pierce Transit“. On January 1, 1980, Pierce Transit assumed the operations of the City of Tacoma Transit System. Over the following year the company annexed other systems throughout the county. Pierce Transit is still in operation. The badge has a single threaded post and some are marked Sebastian Bros. while others have the company’s logo.
TACOMA TRANSIT SYSTEM succeeded the Tacoma Transit Company in 1961 and ran until 1980, when it was replaced by Pierce Transit. See above entry.
TAMPA CITY LINES was a privately owned franchised, began service in Tampa, Florida, in 1942. It provided service within the city and to surrounding areas, including Progress Village, MacDill Air Base, Port Tampa, Temple Terrace, and the University of South Florida. The company officially went out of business in April 1971 when the Tampa City Council approved the company’s surrender of its franchise. At that time the City of Tampa took over bus service in the city. The current service is provided by the Hillsborough Area Regional Transit Authority. The badge here was once chrome plated, but most of the plating has worn away and the brass is showing through. It measures approx. 2½” x 2½”.
TANNER MOTOR LIVERY COMPANY / TANNER MOTOR TOURS, LTD. / TANNER MOTOR TOURS SIGHTSEEING / TANNER TOURS / THE GREY LINE The history of this company is a bit tangled. It started as Tanner Livery, a horse and buggy enterprise in Pasadena, California, in 1906 by C. C. Tanner and his wife. In 1912 Tanner reorganized as C. C. Tanner Auto Service. At some point it became Tanner Motor Livery Company. This excerpt is from the April 6, 1929, Aviation magazine: “The Tanner Motor Livery operates 20 deluxe parlor cars over eight regular scenic routes, and 200 limousines with chauffeurs who drive those customers who seek a more exclusive mode of sightseeing. Two of the parlor car routes include. Clover Field, Santa Monica, in their itinerary. In 1930 Tanner Motor Livery was given permission from the California Railraod Commission to acquire the stock of the Gray Line, Inc. and Gray Line Motor Tours Company. Tanner operated the companies as separate units, but under join management. On February 11, 1935, The Gray Line Motor Tours Company was incorporated by C. C. Tanner as a Gray Line franchise.
There are likely earlier badges than those pictured below. The below badges measure approx. 3″ x 1¾”; there are three versions: an early one made of brass with a safety pin back, a painted version with a long pin and later one with two threaded posts.
TASSAJARA HOT SPRINGS STAGE was operating in 1910 out of Salinas, California, and was still operating in the mid 1920s. The registered contacts were named Vanderhurst and Duda.
TAYLOR & BARR BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Seven Mile Ford, Virginia. The company ran between West Jefferson to Virginia State Line, destination Chilhowie, Va., via Grassy Creek, Grumpier and Healing Springs.
TECHE TRANSFER COMPANY, INC. / TECHE LINES (pronounced as “tesh”) This company had its origin with the Teche Transfer Company, which was incorporated in Louisiana in April 1920 to operate buses between Jeanerette and New Iberia (a distance of about 10 miles in the region west of New Orleans and Baton Rouge and southeast of Lafayette). In 1929 the Teche Transfer Company was renamed the Teche Lines, and in 1934 it became the Teche-Greyhound Lines, after the company became affiliated with The Greyhound Corporation. In 1954 the company, along with the Dixie Greyhound Lines, was merged into Southeastern Greyhound Lines.
TELLURIDE TRANSFER COMPANY was operating an autobus line in 1925 in Telluride, Colorado. Walter M. Taylor and C. F. Loebnitz were the owners.
TENNESSEE COACH COMPANY The history of this company is long and involves a man named Onnie Bruce “O.B.” Baskette, who began his public transit career back in the 1910s by driving a bus for the Cleveland-Akron Bus Company, and then driving for the Cleveland-Elyria-Toledo Bus Company. In 1928 Baskett and Al Kraemer incorporated the Tennessee Coach Company, bought the Southern Motor Coach Company and White Arrow Coach Lines and merged the two, along with Baskett’s own Safety Coach Company, into the new Tennessee Coach Company. The company, based in Knoxville, Tennessee, was in operation until 1976, when it became merged into the Continental Tennessee Lines. (On December 1, 1928, Southern Motor Coach and White Arrow Coach sold their Knoxville franchise to the new Tennessee Coach Company for the sum of $197,000. On August 28, 1953, Tennessee Coach Company sold out to Tennessee Trailways, Inc. On August 29, 1960, Tennessee Coach Company, headquartered in Knoxville, was sold for $2,400,000 to three other Trailways affiliates: Virginia Stage Lines a.k.a. Virginia Trailways, Smoky Mountain Stages a.k.a. Smoky Mountain Trailways and Continental Tennessee Lines. The three companies changed the name of Tennessee Coach Company to Tennessee Trailways, Inc.) The Tennessee Coach Company badge has two threaded posts.
TENNESSEE TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was operating in 1915 in Nashville, Tennessee. I was still operating in 1928 as an interstate company running between Johnson City, Tennessee and Asheville, North Carolina. W. J. Dixon was the president.
TERMINAL ISLAND TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in the late 1920s. Peter Drake was the owner/operator. It ran from Los Angeles, California, to Terminal Island. (Terminal Island is a largely artificial island located in Los Angeles County, California, between the neighborhood of San Pedro in the city of Los Angeles, and the city of Long Beach.) The company was still operating in 1954. It ran 15 buses over 16 route miles and Peter Drake was listed as both owner and operator.
TERMINAL MOTOR BUS COMPANY was granted a certificate to operate a motor bus line between St. Paul, Minnesota and Durand, Wisconsin, in December 1927. The company was owned by Charks Calderwood and R.R. Perkins, who had been operating local buses since July 1926 from St. Paul to Highwood, Red Rock and St. Paul Park.
TERRE HAUTE CITY LINES took over operations from Public Service Company of Indiana (Midland United Co.) in 1939 providing service to Terre Haute, Indiana.
TERRE HAUTE, INDIANAPOLIS & EASTERN TRACTION COMPANY was founded in 1907 in Indianapolis, Indiana, as a consolidation of several interurban street railway companies. By the mid 1920s Indiana Motor Transit Company was formed as a bus subsidiary. Wikipedia notes: “The THI&E was the second-largest interurban system in Indiana, operating just over 400 miles (640 km) of interurban lines as well as streetcar service in several western Indiana cities. It operated branches out of Indianapolis west to Terre Haute and Brazil, to the university town of Lafayette, and east to Richmond. It stretched nearly from the eastern to the western boundaries of the state.” After entering into receivership in 1930, the Terre Haute, Indianapolis & Eastern Traction Company was sold at auction on June 23, 1931, to Indiana Railroad; Indiana Motor Transit Company continued as a subsidiary of the new company.
TERRE HAUTE TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. was a privately-owned company that took over transit operations from Terre Haute City Lines in 1955 providing service to Terre Haute, Indiana. It went out of business in 1964. (September 1, 1964, The Terre Haute Tribune, Vol. CXL— No. 93: “BUS SERVICE CONTINUE Mayor Calls Meeting to Present Plan From all appearances a sister firm of the Terre Haute Transit Co., will be contracted to provide mass public transportation on a temporary basis here after Sept. 14. Mayor Ralph Tucker announced Tuesday that the St John Transportation Co., of Dayton, Ohio, submitted two proposals for leasing buses to the city and both were considerably lower than the costs quoted by the only other bidder. Roland St. John, who is president of the firm, also heads the Dayton Western Motors, Inc., of Dayton, which is the parent company of the Terre Haute Transit Co. Terre Haute Transit informed city officials in June that it was discontinuing service here because of heavy financial losses in the local public transportation operation.“
TERWILLIGER BOULEVARD STAGES was operating in 1923 from Portland to West Portland, Oregon.
TEXAS ELECTRIC BUS LINES took over operations of passenger service in 1948 from Texas Electric Railway running a route between Dallas and Waco, Texas. The company lasted until 1979. The badge has a single threaded post, measures 1¾” x 2¼” and is die pressed brass.
TEXAS MOTOR COACHES, INC. was founded in September 1927 in Dallas, Texas. In 1939 it was running an intercity route from Dallas to Ft. Worth. In 1946 it was operating 33 buses over 66 route miles and still operating between Dallas and Ft. Worth. In 1970 it was running 66 daily scheduled bus runs to and from Dallas and Fort Worth. The badge is made of metal (probably by GREENDUCK CO. CHICAGO), measures 2¼″ x 2½” and has two threaded posts.
T.N.M. & O. COACHES, INC. / TEXAS, NEW MEXICO & OKLAHOMA COACHES, INC. The history of this company starts with McMakin Motor Coaches, which was founded in the 1930s by Charles C. McMakin in Lubbock, Texas. The company served Clovis, Earth, Plainview, Vernon and Lubbock, Texas. In 1937 McMakin bought out Red Star Coaches, Inc. and folded it’s service into McMakin Motor Coaches, which was thereafter known as McMakin Motor Coaches, Inc. By 1938 McMakin had bought out South Plains Motor Coaches, Inc. and was running both companies. That merger would lead to the founding of Texas, New Mexico and Oklahoma Coaches, Inc. (TNM&O) in 1939. (Information from LUBBOCK TRANSIT CENTER by Robert John Charpenteir, Architecture Division of the College of Enginering, Texas Tech University, 1980.) That year the Russell’s Guide listed McMakin Motor Coaches, Inc. and TNM&O Coaches, Inc., as one and the same company. Interestingly, Charles McMakin isn’t mentioned in the company’s operations, while C. M. Owens, who was the former general manager of Red Star Coaches, Inc., which Charles C. McMakin had bought out in 1937, was listed as the traffic manager for TNM&O Coaches. In 1946 the company was operating 50 buses over 1743 route miles, with C. M. Owens serving as secretary-treasurer and public relations director. In 1980 the following info was printed in a report about the company: “TNM&O is for all practical purposes, a subsidiary operation of Greyhound Lines, Inc. Greyhound owns 59% of the company stock and Trailways Systems owns another 39%. There are five members on the board of directors, two from Greyhound and two from Trailways while Bob Greenhill, the President and General Manager of the Company is the fifth member of the Board.” The company is still in business with one coach. There are three different badges: the first badge, which has an eagle design; two newer badges, the first being featuring an old style bus in red, and the other featuring a Greyhound bus in red, white & blue, which would indicate that this company once was a carrier for Greyhound Corp. The older badge has a single threaded post and measures 3″ x 2½”. Both of the newer badges have two threaded posts.
THAMES VALLEY TRANSIT, INC NORWICH-NEW LONDON, CT. Opened 1892 as New London Horse Railway Co., renamed in 1893. Sold 1904 to Consolidated Railway, renamed 1907 to Connecticut Company. Leased 1913-1920 to to Shore Line Electric Railway Co. Last streetcars replaced with buses in 1934. Connecticut Co. continued to operate buses until 1961, when division was sold to Thames Valley Transit, Inc. The badge is a pin back.
THE $4.00 LINE PORTLAND – SEATTLE (See listing under Four Dollar Line.)
THIRD AVENUE SYSTEM was established in 1852 in New York City as a streetcar company. It operated lines in Manhattan, the Bronx, and Westchester County, with its main line along Manhattan’s Third Avenue. In 1942 the Third Avenue System changed its name to Third Avenue Transit Corporation, reflecting the eventual conversion to all-bus operations. There are two known badge designs; the early badge is at the top; the later badge is on the bottom and is die pressed with two slots for mounting on a cap (some badges are marked AM. RY. G.CO. N.Y.) and measures 5⅜” x 2″.
Third Avenue Railway Co., New York City, N. Y.
W. T. THOMAS BUS LINE began operations in 1915 by W. T. Thomas and ran a route from Chattanooga, Tennessee, to Atlanta, Georgia. In December 1946 the company was bought out by Tom M. Lambert and George T. Morris who changed the company name to Georgia-Tennessee Coaches, Inc. (This company would eventually become Tennessee Trailways, Inc.)
THREE STATES BUS COMPANY was operating between Bristol, Tennessee, and Middlesboro, Kentucky, between 1955-1960. The badge is nickel-plated with enamel and has two threaded posts.
THUMB BUS COMPANY was operating out of Saginaw, Michigan. It served Michigan’s Thumb Area, which includes the counties of Huron, Sanilac and Tuscola, and is outlined by Saginaw Bay on its west shoreline and Lake Huron on its east shoreline. The company was mentioned in a 1925 newspaper article. According to one source it was still operating in the 1930s.
A.E. THYM STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Mokelumne Hill, California. A.E. Thym was the owner/operator.
TIGER BUS COMPANY, INC. In September 1941 the Alabama Public Service Commission approved the petition of the Tiger Bus Company to operate a passenger service between two cities, Opelika and Auburn, Alabama, which were seven mile apart. The new company was a local city service. T. M. Payne was the owner and general manager. (Payne also owned and operated EAST ALABAMA COACH LINE.) In 1946 it served Auburn and Opelika with 5 buses over 7 route miles. In 1948 John H. Lacy was the general manager. In 1956 the company ran 6 buses over 16 route miles. The owner was B. H. Mesley, with T. M. Harper as general manager. In 1960 it ran 4 buses over 14 route miles; J. H. Allen was president, W. T. Belcher vice president and Joe H. Allen general manager. On May 13, 1966 William W. Whatley bought the company.
TOLEDO-FT. WAYNE BUS LINE COMPANY was operating in the mid-late 1920s out of Defiance, Ohio. In January 1928 it filed an application with the Public Utilities Commission of the State of Ohio for a change in its application. Clyde D. Eager was the manager in 1930. In May 1939 the company moved their headquarters to the Crosby Hotel in Defiance.
TOM DALTON BUS LINE was running out of Chattanooga, Tennessee, after 1916, serving Chickamauga, Georgia; by April 1920, the company expanded service to Lafayette, Chickamauga and Estelle, Georgia. By October 1921 Tom Dalton Bus Line had expanded its operations into Dayton and Soddy, Tennessee, as well as Lafayette and Davis Cross Roads in Georgia, with expanded service to Lafayette and Chickamauga, Georgia. The company was still operating on April 20, 1924, when it introduced two new Reo-built coaches, which were dubbed “Blue Gooses”.
TOM-A-HAWK TRANSIT, INC. ran buses in Aurora, Illinois, from 1968 until 1971 and succeeded Aurora City Lines, which ran from 1940 until 1968. After the company ceased operations, it was succeeded by the city-owned Aurora Transit System.
TOMPKINS BUS CORPORATION / TOMPKINS BUS COMPANY, INC. This corporation was formed in 1925 as the American Travel Corporation and was awarded 18 bus routes in 1927 on Staten Island, New York. It was allowed to charge 10 cents, which was double the citywide five cent fare charged by other boroughs. Its president was M.T. Gordon, Jr. It was taken over by Staten Island Coach Company in 1937.
TONTO BASIN BUS LINES was based in Mesa, Arizona, in the 1940 and 1950s. It was an intercity company serving Phoenix to Winslow.
TOPEKA RAILWAY COMPANY, INC. was the consolidated company formed by the union of the Topeka City Railway Company and Topeka Rapid Transit Railroad Company (formed in 1887) in Topeka, Kansas. In 1892 the company changed from a horse car line to electric. The company ran until 1926 when it was taken over by Kansas Power & Light Company. In 1937 streetcar service was discontinued. In 1945 the company was running 52 buses over approx. 33 route miles. It was succeeded by the Topeka Transportation Company, Inc. In 1947. In 1956 the company was running 64 buses. It lasted until 1973 when the Topeka Metropolitan Transit Authority was created. The badge below is for Topeka Rapid Transit Railroad Company and is made of nickel.
TOPEKA RAPID TRANSIT RAILWAY COMPANY / TOPEKA RAPID TRANSIT RAILROAD COMPANY From what I can determine, these two companies are one and the same. It was formed in 1887 in Topeka, Kansas, and operated a horse-drawn streetcar system. The following year the company electrified its streetcars. By the early 1890s it was in receivership under the control of H. C. Spear and C.C. Baker; it was finally released from this condition in 1892. The badge here is made of nickel and was made by GRIMM ENGRAVING CO ST. LOUIS, MO. and measures 2¼”x2½”.
TOPEKA TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. succeeded the Kansas Power & Light Company, Inc. in 1947 operating public transit in Topeka, Kansas. In 1956 the company was running 64 buses. It lasted until 1973 when the Topeka Metropolitan Transit Authority was created.
TORONTO TRANSIT COMMISSION / TTC is the public transport agency that operates bus, subway, streetcar, and paratransit services in Toronto, the capital of the province of Ontario in Canada. It is the oldest and largest of the urban transit service providers in the Greater Toronto Area, established as the Toronto Transportation Commission in 1921. The TTC owns and operates four rapid transit lines with 75 stations, over 149 bus routes, and 11 streetcar lines. There are three style badges. The first is an early style made of heavy brass; it features an employee number and has two threaded posts. The second badge is a die-pressed type measures 3¾” x 1½ ” and has a single threaded post. The third is a shield type badge that measures 2″x2¼”.
TOWNS BUS LINE I found the following on the Net: “Commonwealth of Virginia. Department of the State Corporation Commission. In the Matter of Application of J. A. Towns, Operating as Towns Bus Line, for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity from Harrisonburg to Bridgewater on October 28, 1924. The Virginia Law Register New Series, Vol. 10, No. 7 (Nov., 1924), pp. 498-502.” There is another entry showing a route in Winchester-Roanoke, West Virginia. The badge is a single threaded post type, is hallmarked on back and measures 2½” x 2½”.
TOWNSEND TRANSIT was founded in Port Townsend, Washington by Horace J. “Jack” Carroll in October 1949 and ran city routes until January 1951. (The company sometimes advertised as Port Townsend Transit.) The company operated two buses and ordered 5,000 Townsend Transit tokens from Meyer Wenthe of Chicago. The company failed due to low ridership. Several transit badges were made by H. J. Carroll for his bus company, however the badge shown here is a modern creation, is made of polished nickel and has a single threaded post.
TRACKLESS TRANSIT COMPANY was formed in 1922, operating crosstown route 94 to Bloomfield, New Jersey. In 1957, Trackless Transit Co. acquired route 144 (now NJT route 71) from Newark Caldwell Bus Line, and in 1969 acquired route 64 (now New Jersey Transit route 97) from from East Orange Transit Co.
TRACTION MOTOR TRANSIT COMPANY, INC. The January 1, 1925, issue of the Alexandria Times-Tribune from Alexandria, Indiana, carried this notice: “The Traction Motor Transit Co. has been incorporated by officials of the I.U.T. Co. [Indiana Union Traction Company] to operated motor busses as feeders for the traction lines. The only busses now being operated by the company are at Fort Benjamin Harrison, but others may be put into service at various points later.” In the February 23, 1925, edition of the Kokomo Tribune, the company ran this ad: “Busses will start from and unload all passengers at the Union Traction Company of Indiana Stations; Tickets on sale at all traction stations served by bus lines; Interurban tickets on which baggage may be checked will be accepted for passage on busses when presented.”
Trafford Coach Lines (Pittsburgh PA) 1959
TRANS-BRIDGE LINES, INC. A history of the company can be found on their website: “Trans-Bridge Lines, Inc. was founded in 1941 by A. J. Ferraro and other members of his family. The company operated local transit service as well as charters and tour excursions from Port Colden, New Jersey to Easton, Pennsylvania, serving Washington and Phillipsburg, New Jersey and eventually Allentown, Pennsylvania. Ferraro founded his Phillipsburg-based lines when he took over the New Jersey Interurban Coach Company [on September 5, 1941]. In 1923, this company had purchased a trolley company, The Northampton, Easton, and Washington Traction Company, which was established in 1906. New Jersey Interurban eventually replaced its trolley cars with coaches which first operated on February 7, 1925. A. J. Ferraro had many years of experience in the bus business, beginning in 1915. He was a driver, manager, consultant, partner and owner of various bus companies in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.
In 1981, Trans-Bridge Lines and Tri-City Coach Lines, an additional family owned charter coach company based in Bethlehem, merged and moved to a new facility in Bethlehem’s Lehigh Valley Industrial Park. . . . Over the years, the business grew to include daily service to New York City, Atlantic City and Newark and JFK Airports. After the acquisition of West Hunterdon Transit Company in 1991 and Jim Thorpe Transportation (Lehigh Valley Motorcoach) in 1997, the service area now covers the entire Lehigh Valley, New Hope, Doylestown, and Quakertown, Pennsylvania; Clinton, Flemington and Lambertville, New Jersey regions.
An affiliate company, Trans-Bridge Tours, Inc., started in 1969 as Holiday Tours, conducts retail tours through the United States and Canada. . . . Another affiliate company is Delaware River Coach Lines, Inc., operates local transit service between Easton and Phillipsburg. This company began operations in 1943.” The badge has a single threaded post and measures approx. 2 ½” x 2 ⅛”
TA TRANSIT AUTHORITY In March 1953, the New York Board of Transportation was abolished, and was replaced by the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA). The New York City Transit Authority (also known as NYCTA, The TA or simply Transit, and branded as MTA New York City Transit) is a public authority in the U.S. state of New York that operates public transportation in New York City. Part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the busiest and largest transit system in North America, the NYCTA has a daily ridership of 7 million trips (over 2 billion annually). The badge is die pressed, has a single threaded post an measures 2½” x 2½”; it is a fairly common badge.
TRANSIT AUTHORITY OF RIVER CITY (TARC) is the major public transportation provider for the Louisville, Kentucky, metro area, which includes parts of Southern Indiana. TARC is publicly funded and absorbed various earlier private mass transit companies in Louisville, the largest of which was the Louisville Transit Company. The transit authority was created in 1971 after 1970 legislation authorized city and county governments to operate mass-transit systems using local funding. Before this time the Louisville Transit Company had been operating transit lines in Louisville, converted from electric trolleys to diesel buses in the late 1940s, changing its name from the Louisville Railway Company in 1947. (Info from Wikipedia.) The badge has no maker’s mark, has a hinged locking clasp pin and measures approx. 1¾” by 2 ½”.
TRANSIT COACH BUS LINES, INC. was operating 15 buses in 1933 in Queens, New York City, New York. One of the company owners, who acted as secretary treasurer, was Samuel Pearlman. In November 1934 the company had applied to the city for a franchise for the Merrick Road-Rosedale route, but the application was held up because Pearlman, along with Hyman Schorenstein and Aaron Jacoby, were accused of fraudulently diverting funds from the Brownsville Bus Line, which they controlled. The city was concerned that some of the missing funds may have “found their way into the Transit Coach Company.”
THE TRANSPORT COMPANY / THE MILWAUKEE ELECTRIC RAILWAY & LIGHT COMPANY / TMER&L / THE MILWAUKEE ELECTRIC RAILWAY & TRANSPORT COMPANY / TMERT The history of this company is complicated, to say the least. It’s hard to untangle all the different entities and the whens & wheres, but essentially it all started in 1890 when Henry Villard formed the North American Company (NAC) as a holding company. His goal was to create an electric utility empire in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The first step in that goal was The Milwaukee Street Railway Company, which had been organized in 1890 and had purchased, at various times between that date and 1893, the property of the following companies: Milwaukee City Railroad Company, Cream City Railway Company, West Side Railroad Company, Milwaukee and Whitefish Bay Railway Company, Edison Electric Illuminating Company, Badger Electric Illuminating Company and Milwaukee Electric Light Company.
In 1896, the Milwaukee Street Railway Co. was reorganized as The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company. (TMER&L; The Milwaukee Light, Heat & Traction Company was incorporated on December 21, 1896, to build and operate interurban lines as a subsidiary of The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company. This company held title to the traction, lighting and heating properties situated outside of the City of Milwaukee. ) The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company supplied the city with both electric power and mass transit until 1938, when it divided into the Wisconsin Electric Power Co. and the Milwaukee Electric Railway & Transportation Co. (Locally known as the Electric Company and the Transport Company, or TMERT. In 1922 The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company created another subsidiary, Wisconsin Motor Bus Lines, to provide motor bus service between Milwaukee and West Bend. (See the history of that company under transit companies beginning with “W”.) In 1952 the Transport Company was sold and became The Milwaukee & Suburban Transport Corp., which ran until 1975.)
In 1945 TMERT sold most of its lines to Kenosha Motor Coach Lines (KMCL), which has, in itself, a tangled history. One of those was the Hales Corners line. On August 27, 1948, Northland Greyhound acquired all KMCL stock. After claiming a loss of $20,000 per month, Greyhound sold the Hales Corners line. The new company was the Milwaukee Rapid Transit & Speedrail Company. In his 1961 book, The Interurban, historian William D. Middleton writes: “TMER&L’s Waukesha and Hales Corners routes . . . were operated briefly by two bus companies before becoming the Milwaukee Rapid Transit & Speedrail Company in 1949. The Speedrail effort to rebuild the property into a profitable concern ended ignominiously with a disastrous wreck in 1950, bankruptcy, and final abandonment in 1951.”
The last streetcar in Milwaukee (and Wisconsin) operated on Wells Street on March 2, 1958. On July 1, 1975, Milwaukee County acquired ownership of the transit system. It contracted Milwaukee Transport Services, Inc. (MTS) to handle the newly named Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS) bus operation.
Regarding badges, many of the companies listed above issued their own transit badges. In some cases both bus drivers and streetcar/trolley operators used the same badges. The below badge measures approx. 3½” x 2″ and some badges are marked BASTIAN BROS CO ROCHESTER NY.
TRANSPORT OF NEW JERSEY (TNJ) See Public Service Transportation.
TRANSPORTATION CLUB CORP. This is one of those mystery companies. Nothing turns up in a Google search. Hopefully someone can provide some information on this company and badge. The badge is a standard size made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R. I. (marked only on the thumb nut “HOOKFAST REG. U.S.A.”)
TRAVELERS BUS LINES, INC. was incorporated October 9, 1931. On December 30, 1932 the company obtained a franchise contract for one year running from the City of New York along Route Q-10, Lefferts Boulevard, Queens, 3.4 miles. A Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity for the duration of the franchise was granted by the Transit Commission and became effective March 17, 1933. The company ran 10 passenger buses in 1934.
TRAVELERS STAGE was operating in the mid 1920s from Folsom, California, to Sacramento. (This company maybe connected to SACRAMENTO-FOLSOM TRAVELERS’ STAGE was operating in the late 1920s from Folsom to Sacramento, California.)
TRES PINOS – NEW IDRIA STAGE LINE was operating in the late 1920s out of Tres Pinos, California. A. G. Fruits was the owner / operator.
TRIANGLE BUS COMPANY was founded in 1930 in Manhattan, New York City. In 1935, it took over the Houston Street-Avenue C bus route (now Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority route M21) from the Hamilton Bus Company. In 1940, it was taken over by the New York City Omnibus Company.
TRIBORO COACH CORPORATION was a bus company in New York City, in Queens and express routes to Manhattan. Salvatore Fornatora began operating buses in Queens in April 1919 as the Woodside-Astoria Transportation Company. In 1931 the company changed its name to Triboro Coach Corporation, which was legally incorporated on April 10, 1931. In 1946 the company found itself in financial difficulties, and Fornatora sold the company to the owners of Green Bus Lines, John Succa and William Cooper. On February 2, 2006, the operations of Triboro Coach were taken over by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) under the MTA Bus Company brand, the final part of the city’s takeover of all the remaining subsidized privately operated bus routes. The badge has a single threaded post and on pin post.
TRI-CITY LINES was owned by the Iowa-Illinois Gas & Electric Co., which took over transit operations from the Tri-City Railway Company in 1941. Known as the Tri-City Lines because it served the cities of Davenport, Iowa, Rock Island and Moline, Illinois, it ceased operations in 1950. It was succeeded by the Rock Island-Moline City Lines in Illinois and the Davenport City Lines in Iowa. The badge measures 2″ x 1½” and was made by WHITEHEAD – HOAG NEWARK NEW JERSEY.
TRI-CITY TRANSIT COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s as an intercity company serving Vanalia to Effingham, Illinois.
TRI-CITY TRANSIT, INC. headquartered in East Massillon, Ohio. From a Status of Transit in Ohio a 1974 book printed by the Ohio Dept. of Transportation: “This carrier provides intercity service between the cities of Massillon, Canton, and Louisville. It also offers a small area of intra-urban service to those areas not served by the local Massillon service. Eighteen weekday round trips and 12 Saturday round trips are provided.” For sure the company was around in the 1950s and 1960s. The badge is a single threaded post type, and was made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R. I. (no markings on badge, but it is marked on the thumb nut.)
TRI-CITY TRANSPORTATION COMPANY was founded by Joseph C. Gilley and his son, Dewey C. Gilley, Sr. in Leaksville, North Carolina, in ca. 1930.
TRI-CITY TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was operating between Neenah-Menasha-Appleton, Wisconsin, in 1922. By 1939 it was an intercity company that ran into Cairo, Illinois.
TRI-MET DISTRICT ORE was founded 1969 after the demise of Rose City Transit in Portland, Oregon. A detailed history of the Tri-Met can be found here:
There are two different badges; they have one threaded post and one pin post and measure 2½” x 1½”.
TRI-STATE BUS LINES, INC. / TRI-STATE TRAILWAYS According to Chicago Transit & Railfan’s website, Tri-State Bus Lines was a National Trailways Bus System member from 1948-1949. The only Tri-State Bus Lines listed in the MTD editions I have here is for 1954 and is located in Aberdeen, South Dakota. It had 4 buses and operated over 450 route miles. It served Aberdeen, Watertown, Fargo, Morris, Montevideo, Madison, Mitchell and Sisseton, South Dakota.
TRI-STATE TRANSIT COMPANY was founded in East Liverpool, Ohio, by John R. Campbell Donald Barnes in the early 1950s. The company maintained routes to Chester and Newell. In 1955 the company bought out Valley Motor Transit Company, which was also based in East Liverpool, Ohio. Campbell later bought out Barnes’ interest in Tri-State, and the company grew to include bus operations to Midland and Wellsville and the city’s hill routes. In the mid 1960s Tri-State bought out rival bus company, Inter-City Transit Company, and merged its operations into the company. The company went out of business in April 1977.
TRI-STATE TRANSIT COMPANY / TRI-STATE TRAILWAYS In 1922 Caddo Transfer & Warehouse Company formed a bus company in Shreveport, Louisiana. In 1923 the company was renamed Tri-State Transit Company. In 1938 the company joined National Trailways as Tri-State Trailways. In 1945 the company was merged with Interurban Transportation Co. / Interurban Trailways, based in Alexandria, and Bordelon Lines, Inc. / Bordelon Trailways, which was based in New Orleans. The new firm, named Southern Bus Lines, used the brand name of Southern Trailways and was headed by Morgan W. Walker: “In 1949 the Transcontinental Bus System (using the brand name, trade name, or service name of the Continental Trailways) bought the relatively new (recently consolidated) Southern Bus Lines (the Southern Trailways) and renamed it as the Continental Southern Lines.” (Info from Dr. D. B. “Doc” Rushing’s Bluehounds and Redhounds the History of Greyhound and Trailways.)
TROLLEY COMPANY I find a company on the Net that was founded in 2009 in Hendersonville, North Carolina. I’m not sure if this is the right company. The badge seems a lot older than that. The badge has a single threaded post and one pin post.
TROMBLY MOTOR COACH This is what I found on the Net: “Trombly Motor Coach Service, Inc. is engaged in providing school bus transportation. This firm was established in 1952 and incorporated in 1971 in Massachusetts. It employs 80 people. Transportation Service in Dracut, Massachusetts.
TROPICAL COACH LINE, INC. This company had some connection to Greyhound, as this excerpt from a 1960 court filing shows: “TROPICAL COACH LINE, INC., a Corporation, and the Greyhound Corporation, Southeastern Greyhound Lines Division, Petitioners, v. Jerry W. CARTER, Wilbur C. King and Edwin L. Mason, As Members of and Constituting the Florida Railroad and Public Utilities Commission, Respondents. Supreme Court of Florida. June 22, 1960.” The badge is marked W&H Co., has a single threaded post and measures approx. 2″ by 2 ½ “.
TROY AUTO-CAR COMPANY, INC. started bus operations in June 1915 to operated on Fifth Avenue in Troy, New York. Among others, it was founded by William Schupp, who served as president, and Jean Schupp, who served as vice-president. Orville E. Bosca served as director for the first three years. It was during that time when the company was embroiled in a legal dispute with the United Traction Company, the local streetcar company. UTC didn’t want the competition, although Troy Auto-Car Company was not operating anywhere near UTC’s routes. In the end Troy Auto-Car Company was allowed to keep their operation.
TRUCKEE-SIERRAVILLE AUTO LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Truckee County, California. Joe Mattos was the registered contact.
TRUCKEE-TAHOE CITY STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Truckee County, California. James McIver, Jr. was the registered contact.
TUALATIN VALLEY BUSSES / TUALATIN VALLEY BUSES, INC. was formed in 1953, but had effectively already been operating since the 1930s, as a division or subsidiary of Portland Stages, under the name Tualatin Valley Stages. In 1953, its routes served Beaverton, Cedar Mill, Garden Home, Tigard and Tualatin, among other places. By the end of the decade its service reached Hillsboro and Forest Grove, and also extended as far as McMinnville, in Yamhill County. Service to McMinnville and Forest Grove was introduced when Greyhound received PUC permission to abandon its (intercity-type) service on those routes, in 1959.
Tualatin Valley Stages/Buses also provided school bus service under contract with school districts in Washington County,[as did Portland Stages for some schools in suburban parts of Multnomah County. (Info from Wikepedia, article “Blue Bus Lines.”) The badge is die-pressed, has a single threaded post and a pin post, and is nickel plated.
TUCKASEEGEE BUS LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out of Sylva, North Carolina, running from Sylva to Rich Mountain. Herman Martin was the owner. There is some interesting insight into this obscure company from the North Carolina Corporation Commission: “IN RE CERTAIN CITIZENS OF JACKSON COUNTY V. TUCKASEEGEE BUS LINE. Order. ‘Because of continued complaint on the part of several citizens of Jackson County against the operation of the Tuckaseegee Bus Line, and more particularly against certain practices of the owners of said line, the complaint was set down for hearing on July 15, 1927, in the Court House in Sylva, North Carolina. In addition to charges of misconduct on the part of operators and drivers, the principal complaint was against the operation of the bus line’s busses between East LaPort and Rich Mountain by Caney Fork. . . . Claims and Complaints 109: As to the charges of personal conduct of persons owning the property right in the operation, no evidence was offered of such recent violations, except in the case of Earl Wood, who was arrested by a policeman and found to have a small quantity of whisky in a pint bottle in his pocket. There was no evidence of possession for sale, or otherwise, except for personal use. There was no evidence that he was under the influence of it and the case had not been tried in the Recorder’s Court at the time this hearing was held. He was not on a bus at the time he was arrested and there was no evidence that he was even driving a bus that day, the day before, or the day after. The charges of personal conduct against other parties who had from time to time driven for the owners of this line, or were at that time driving for them, was of such nature that it could not be held against the Tuckaseegee Bus Line. . . . The information obtained at the hearing is of such nature that it puts the Commission on notice that there is room for improvement, and this will be required when it is practicable to do do ; therefore, it is Ordered, That the case be dismissed. By order of the Commission, R. O. Self, This 1st day of October, 1927.’”
TULSA CITY LINES Public transportation began in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in 1905 when Tulsa Street Railway Company began operating streetcars. The company was sold in 1926 to United Services Company, which discontinued streetcar operations two years later. The company filed bankruptcy in 1935. National City Lines took over Tulsa’s bus service as Tulsa City Lines, and operated until 1957 when Missouri, Kansas & Oklahoma Lines took over. In August 1968 the Metropolitan Tulsa Transit Authority / Tulsa Transit was formed by the City of Tulsa. The badge is nickle-plated with two threaded posts, measures approx. 3″ x 2″ and was made by GREENDUCK CO. CHICAGO.
TURNER MOTOR COACH SERVICE John W. Turner dba as Turner Motor Coach Service in May 1961 in Fitchburg, Massachusetts. In the March 24, 1967, edition of the Fitchburg Sentinel, from Fitchburg, Massachusetts: “Turner Motor Coach Service Has Had Charter Service Since 1929 And Still Leads In Nationwide Tours: This year, as they have done for 38 years, the Turner Motor Coach Service will conduct all-expense tours anywhere in the United States, Canada or Mexico.” There are two badges. The older badge (pictured at top) has a single threaded post. The newer badge has two threaded posts and was made by HOOKFAST PROVIDENCE R.I.
TURNEY BUS COMPANY was operating in Tennessee in 1928.
TUSCALOOSA TRANSIT COMPANY On 12 April 1965, the Tuscaloosa Transit Company was born out of the Civil Rights Movement when it replaced Druid City Transit in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Obtaining a city franchise, the company put three small buses into service and hired one black diver. The company’s routes were similar to those run by the old Druid City Transit Co. I’m not sure when the company closed down, but an item in the Thursday, July 31, 1969, edition of The Tuscaloosa News gives some insight: Tuscaloosa city commissioners were informed that J.E. Hollingsworth, a bus driver involved in an arrest incident involving two black female passengers, which led the Tuscaloosa Citizens for Action (TCAC) committee’s demand his firing, has resigned. Boyd Wilson, owner of Tuscaloosa Transit, told the TCAC he would not fire or suspend the the driver because Hollingsworth had acted according to procedure and called the police to deal with a disturbance on his bus. The TCAC instigated a boycott, which in turn shut down the transit company. Even after Hollingsworth’s resignation, Mr. Wilson said he might decide to close down his transit company for good. I’ve yet to find how this played out, but a new transit system, the Tuscaloosa Transit Authority, or TTA, took over transit operations in 1971. (See Druid City Transit for more details.)
TUSTIN-SANTA ANA STAGE LINE was operating in the mid 1920s out Tustin, California. S. Scott Prather was the owner.
TUSTIN STAGE LINE was operating in the 1919 in Tustin, California.
TWILIGHT BUS LINE of Rhinebeck, New York, was incorporated in 1917 by Arthur J. Abendschein, M.H. Abendschein and M.M. Abenschein. The Saturday, September 17, 1921, edition of the Rhinebeck Gazette, in Rhinebeck, New York, reported that Arthur J. Abendschein, president of the Twilight Bus Line, Inc. had asked the village board for a bus franchise to operate his buses on the streets of the village. In the 1940s the company was serving Poughkeepsie, Red Hook and Rhinebeck, Hyde Park. In 1954 the company was running 6 buses over 48 route miles from its offices in Red Hook, New York. The July 20, 1961, edition of the Poughkeepsie Journal from Poughkeepsie, New York announced that the “Public Service commission today authorized Empire Bus Lines Inc., of Poughkeepsie to purchase the equipment and property of Twilight Bus Line Inc, Red Hook, for $37,0OO and to acquire the rights held by the latter for operation of omnibus routes between Red Hook and Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park and Poughkeepsie. Empire proposes to continue the present service of Twilight and at the same fares. The sale results from a desire of the present owners of Twilight to withdraw from the transportation business. Empire now operates intrastate service within Poughkeepsie and between it and the State line at Patterson.” One of the company’s early drivers was Howard Snyder of Red Hook. Mr. Snyder died at age 90 on Monday, November 21, 2005.
TWIN CITY LINES / SIDDEN BUS LINES / INDEPENDENT BUS LINES Sidden Bus Lines was operating in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in the 1940s, doing business as Blue Eagle Bus Lines and as City Transit Lines under a franchise, transferred its operating rights on October 29, 1945, to “Sidden Bus Lines, a limited partnership with its principal place of business in Winston-Salem, which said partnership is composed of C. C. Sidden, General Partner, North Wilkesboro, N. C, M, Joyce Sidden, Limited Partner, North Wilkesboro, N. C, and J. Earl Sidden, Limited Partner, Winston-Salem, N. C, for sale and transfer to said Sidden Bus Lines of the operating rights as set out and described in said certificates Nos. 521 and 539, together with certain buses, real estate, and other properties for an agreed purchase price of $77,500, copies of which said sales agreement and limited partnership agreement of Sidden Bus Lines have been filed with the Commission . . . it further appearing that the said sales agreement includes properties and rights, other than the operating rights, of Independent Bus Lines.” Shortly after this transfer of ownership, this item appeared in the April 18, 1946, edition of the Statesville Record and Landmark in Statesville, North Carolina: “C. W. Caudle, of Winston-Salem and Moody White, of Statesville, are listed as co-owners of the Twin City Lines, Inc., company which received its corporation charter within the last week. The Twin City Lines, Inc. bought this week the Sidden Bus Lines of Winston-Salem.” In 1956 Twin City Lines was operating 8 buses over 116; C. W. Caudle was the general manager.
TWIN CITY LINES In 1962 this company bought out the Twin City Rapid Transit Company, which had been operating in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota. In 1970 the company became the publically owned Metropolitan Transit Commission.
TWIN CITY MOTOR BUS COMPANY was operating in St. Paul, Minnesota, in the 1920s. It was bought out by the Twin City Rapid Transit Company in 1924. The company continued operating under its own name. In 1946 it was operating 161 buses over 150 route miles.
TWIN CITY MOTOR COACH INC. succeeded Twin City Railway in Benton Harbor, Michigan, and ran buses from 1935 until 1974.
TWIN CITY TRANSIT Public transit services in Lock Rock, Arkansas, go back to City Electric Street Railway (1885-1901) and then to the Little Rock Railway & Electric Company, which ran from 1901 until 1925. This company was then taken over by the Arkansas Power & Light Company, which ran streetcars. It formed a subsidiary called Capital Transportation, which ran from 1935 until 1950 when it was sold to a group of local investors. From 1952 until 1956 Capital Transit Company ran buses in Little Rock. On February 28, 1956, the city governments of Little Rock and North Little Rock awarded a bus franchise to Citizens Coach Company. This company went under in 1962 and was succeeded by Twin City Transit (a subsidiary of the St. John Transportation Company) on September 25, 1962. It ran 77 buses and 31 trolley over approx. 158 route miles. This company ran until 1972 when it was taken over by Central Arkansas Transit Authority. In 2015 Rock Region Metropolitan Transit Authority (Rock Region Metro) took over public transit in Little Rock, North Little Rock, Cammack Village, Maumelle, Sherwood, and Jacksonville, Arkansas.
TWIN CITY TRANSIT COMPANY an intercity bus line that served Helena and West Helena, Arkansas. There is a record of the company in 1949, however, since it isn’t listed in the MTD for 1946, it must have been founded between those two dates. The company is listed in the 1952, 1956 editions of MTD as running 10 buses over 20 route miles.
TWIN CITY RAPID TRANSIT COMPANY was formed in 1892 in Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, when the Minneapolis Street Railway and the St. Paul City Railway Company merged. In the 1920s the company acquired several local bus companies, which had been competing for service. In 1924 it acquired the Twin City Motor Bus Company; in 1925 it bought the Minneapolis-St. Paul Motor Bus Company followed by the American Automobile Transportation Company in 1926. In 1946 the company was operating 704 streetcars over 444 route miles. (It operated 161 buses under the name Twin City Motor Bus Company.) The company was sold to Twin City Lines in 1962, and in 1970 this company became the publically owned Metropolitan Transit Commission.
TWIN CITY TRANSIT CO., INC. offered passenger service between Aberdeen and Hoquiam, Washington, and was founded on December 23, 1920, by Walter Oalusba and Walter L. Coldiron. In 1923 its general manager was C. R. Wilkins, who went to manage the Oregon Motor Stages in Eugene, Oregon, in 1945. On December 12, 1921, Earl Hulbert of Aberdeen, bought Walter L. Coldiron’s half interest in the company. The company was still running in the early 1940s.
TWIN CITIES TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, INC. was founded in September 1927 in Albany, New York. It is mentioned in the September 30, 1927, edition of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle from Brooklyn, New York. No further information.
Copyright © 2019 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.