BADGES ISSUED BY TRANSIT COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “Y”
(PLEASE NOTE: THE BADGES AND INFORMATION PRESENTED ON THIS SITE ARE FOR REFERENCE / EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. WE DO NOT BUY, SELL OR TRADE TRANSIT BADGES! The purpose of this page is to share information about collecting transit badges. All photos and artwork displayed on this site are from personal collections and are used by permission of the owners, or are in the public domain. If requested, we credit badge photos to the owner. We gratefully welcome additional information and/or corrections, questions, comments, new badge entries and especially badge photos. Please don’t hesitate to contact us.)
Y-CITY TRANSIT CO. In 1961 the Zanesville Mass Transit Company (Zanesville, Ohio,) gave notice that they would cease operations when the franchise expired in 1962. Operating costs were exceeding the fare box revenues. Local residents rallied by selling stock at $10.00 per share. In only three months, over $34,000 was raised to save the city’s transit service. Continuing operation deficits led to the failure of Y-City Transit in May of 1977. The Muskingum Authority of Public Transit (MAPT), which was created on September 24, 1979, by the City of Zanesville and the village of South Zanesville, is a public body created and owned by the taxpayers of Muskingum County. It is financed by Federal, State of Ohio, and local funding. Operations began in 1980. In January 2000, MAPT legally changed its name to South East Area Transit (SEAT). The badge has a single threaded post.
YANCEY BUS COMPANY was operating out of Burnsville, North Carolina, in the mid 1940s. Edward Carl, Jack and Mary Riddle were the owners. Routes: Burnsville and Micaville over U, S. Highway 19-E between Micaville and Garden City over N. C. Highway 80. In 1946 the company was given certificate to operate between Burnsville and Marion.
YANKEE TRAILWAYS / YANKEE COACH LINES, INC. Yankee Coach Lines, Inc. was operating in the 1930s-1940s in Illinois and Indiana, serving the Calumet Region. According to one source, this company joined National Trailways as Yankee Trailways 1938 and operated between Chicago, Illinois and Indianapolis, Indiana.The company was bought out by Victory Trailways / Victory Coach Lines, which, in 1947 was bought and merged into Indianapolis & Southeastern Trailways.
YELLOW BUS LINE was an intercity company running in the 1930s and 1940s. Based in Midland, Michigan, R.L. Van Cott was the manager. The company operated Flxible Clipper buses between Mt. Pleasant and Saginaw, Michigan. It is listed in the 1946-47 Mass Transportation’s Directory, but is not listed in the 1954 edition. In 1946 the company ran 16 buses over 278 route miles According to one source the company operated until 1948. After that its routes were sold to Great Lakes Greyhound Lines.
YELLOW CAB BUS COMPANY was operating in the late 1920s. In 1930 it was running a route to Cleveland, Benton and Maryville, Tennessee. On October 1, 1930 the company sold its Cleveland and Maryville line to the Tennessee Coach Company for $20,000. In 1944 it was operating out of Kingsport, Tennessee and running a route to Bristol.
YELLOW CAB BUS LINE was operating in Ardmore, Oklahoma, in the late 1920s.
YELLOW CAB BUS LINE was operating from Jefferson City, Missouri, to Columbia in 1924. It was owned by the Yellow Cab Company and operated out of the Madison Hotel Building.
YELLOW CAB & COACH COMPANY / YELLOW COACH COMPANY (It should be noted that this company had the same name as the company founded in 1915 by John D. Hertz, who also founded the car rental company in 1924. I’ve no idea if this company had any affiliation with Hertz’s company.) The company was owned by W. E. “Earl” Penley, who served as president and general manager. It operated in both Bristol, Virginia and Bristol, Tennessee, which was easy to do since the state line ran down the town’s main street. The company doesn’t appear to have been around prior to the early 1940s, and according to James Earl Penley, son of the company’s president, his father “sold the cab side out early on, then it became the Yellow Coach Company.” One of the rare bits of the company’s history is found in the July 29, 1945 edition of the Kingsport Times-News from Kingsport, Tennessee: “Bluff City Line Adds Bus Service Beginning August 1, the Bluff City Bus Lines will begin operation direct to Bristol, Earl Penley of the Yellow Cab and Coach Company, Bristol, said Saturday. The Bluff City Line, purchased recently by the Yellow Cab and Coach Company, serves Princeton, Austin Springs, Piney Fiats, Bluff City and Bristol. Three busses provide daily service for the residents of these communities. The Bristol company purchased the Bluff City Line from the Johnson City Transit Company, operated by Wade Patrick.” In 1946 the company, still operating as Yellow Cab & Coach Company, was running 50 buses over 547 route miles, serving Bristol, Bluff City, Bountsville, Tennessee and Abingdon, Virginia. In 1954 the company, now renamed Yellow Coach Company, was running 32 buses over 522 route miles. It added the towns of Elizabethton, Johnson City, Kingsport and Tri-City Airport, Tennessee. In 1956 the company was operating 50 buses but the route miles had dropped to 118.
YELLOW CAB & TRANSIT COMPANY / YELLOW CAB BUS LINE was operating in 1919 between Gills Rock and Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin.
YELLOW PENNANT STAGES was operating from King City to Coalinga, California, in 1922.
YELLOW TRANSIT I’m not sure on this one. Charlottesville, Virginia, municipal bus service was provided by the Yellow Transit Company, which was owned by J.T. Graves. The City of Charlottesville acquired the bus company in 1975. It is worth mentioning that in 1924 A.J. Harrell, an Oklahoma City entrepreneur, founded a bus and taxi service that he named Yellow Cab Transit Co. In 1926 he shortened the name to Yellow Transit Co. I’m not sure how long this company stayed in business. The badge has two threaded posts.
YELLOWAY LINES / YELLOWAY PIONEER SYSTEM, INC. Oliver William Townsend was born December 22, 1893, in Pauline, Nebraska; he died November 1955 in New Orleans, Louisiana, at the age of 62 years, where he had been serving as chairman of the board of Teche Greyhound Line. Townsend began in the bus industry in 1924 and founded the Cornhusker Stage Line, which was based in Hastings, Nebraska. The company ran a route between Hastings and Lincoln. In 1927 Townsend bought out the Platte Valley Coach Lines of Columbus, Nebraska and merged its routes with Cornhusker Stage Lines. Later that year he joined with other independent bus companies to form YellowaY Lines. (Note the upper case “Y” at the end of YellowaY.) Under the YellowaY name Townsend ran routes across Nebraska between Chicago, Illinois, and Denver, Colorado. In 1928 Townsend sold some of his operating rights to Wesley Elgin “Buck” Travis’ newly formed American Motor Transportation Company, based in Oakland, California. This company went on to buy out most of the other independent YellowaY member firms, and operated them as the YellowaY-Pioneer System. On September 11, 1928, this company made history when a Yelloway-Pioneer System bus completed the first regularly scheduled coast-to-coast bus trip in the USA, running from Los Angeles to New York City.
In 1929 the Motor Transit Corporation (which became The Greyhound Corporation later that year) bought the Yelloway-Pioneer System for $6.4 million. The February 15, 1929, edition of The Daily Notes from Canonsburg, Pennsylvania reported the story: “Consolidation of the Yelloway lines and ‘the Greyhound lines, bus companies, with a combined investment of more than $12,000,000, was announced here today by O. S. Caesar, president of the Motor Transit corporation, and W. F. Travis, president of the American Motor Transportation company. Tho two lines will be united under the name of the American Motor Transit corporation, to form the largest long distance bus transportation system in the country, officials said.” (For more information see Dr. D.B. “Doc” Rushing’s history of Teche Greyhound Lines, and Images of America Hastings the Queen City of the Plains by Monty McCord, 2001. The info on Oliver Townsend was obtained from 1940 US Census, the US Selective Service records and the November 21, 1955 edition of Beatrice Daily Sun from Beatrice, Nebraska: “Oliver Townsend, New Orleans, La. passed away last week at the age of 62 years. He was a former Barneston resident. His sisters, Mrs. Fred Whittcomb and Mrs. James L. McCorory, Omaha went to New Orleans with their brother Harold Townsend, Oak Ridge, Tenn., to attend the services there. Services were also held in Omaha. Interment was made in Omaha.“) Also see Teche Greyhound Lines on this webpage under Greyhound badges. The badge is die pressed nickel and has two threaded posts.
YELLOWSTONE PARK TRANSPORTATION COMPANY / YELLOWSTONE PARK COMPANY In 1892 Harry W. Child and his brother-in-law, Edmond Bach, formed the Yellowstone Park Transportation Company along with partners Silas Huntley (another brother-in-law) and Aaron and L.H. Hershfeld. The company had an exclusive arrangement with Northern Pacific Railway to transport railroad passengers into Yellowstone National Park, located in Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. In 1916 stagecoaches gave way to auto-buses when Child purchased 100 10-passenger White open-sided buses and 17 White 7-passenger touring cars. By 1926 Yellowstone Park Transportation Company was operating 269 White buses and 51 touring cars. In 1931 Harry Child died, and his son-in-law, William “Billie” Nichols, took over the company. In 1936 Nichols merged all concessions into the newly-created Yellowstone Park Company, which ran the Yellowstone Park Hotel Company, Yellowstone Boat Company, Yellowstone Transportation Company and the Yellowstone Lodge and Camps Company. Yellowstone Park Company continued to operate in Yellowstone National Park until the United States Government purchased all associated property of the company and their lease to operate was terminated in 1980. The badge is made of brass with enamel inlay, measures 1¾” with a maker’s mark of ROBBINS CO ATTLEBORO. It dates to 1936 or after. (A great history of early bus service in Yellowstone Park can be found at this link: Geyser Bob’s Yellowstone Park Historical Service)
YONKERS RAILROAD COMPANY, INC. To allow the workers who had moved to Yonkers to more easily get to their jobs at plants like the Alexander Smith Carpet Mills, some distance from downtown, the city commissioned the Yonkers Railroad Company to develop a trolley system. It opened in 1886. Initially the trolley ran just along Main Street through Getty Square, but it soon needed to be expanded to the rest of the city. In the 1890s it was electrified. Incorporated in 1896, the Yonkers Railroad Company, Inc., was the consolidation of the Yonkers Railroad Company, the North and South Electric Railway Company, and the Yonkers and Tarrytown Electric Railroad. The Third Avenue Railway Company, operators of streetcars in Manhattan and elsewhere in the region, bought the Yonkers Railroad Company in 1898. (The Third Avenue Railway System—TARS—was founded in 1852, and was a streetcar system serving the New York City boroughs of Manhattan and the Bronx along with lower Westchester County. For a brief period of time TARS also operated the Steinway Lines in Long Island City.)
Litigation over the transit franchises extended streetcar service in Westchester County for years after the Manhattan and Bronx lines were converted. Routes in New Rochelle and Mount Vernon were closed in 1950, leaving only the Yonkers city lines in operation. Lines 5, 6, 8, and 9 were converted to bus on October 25, 1952. On November 1, Line 4 was closed. Lines 1, 2 and 3 followed the next day. On November 9, the streetcar era on TARS came to an end when Line 7 was shut down and converted to bus operation. The transit franchises were transferred to the new Yonkers Transit Corporation, organized by TARS general manager Samuel S. Schreiber. Liberty Lines Transit acquired Yonkers Transit Corporation in 1972, and continues to operate its routes as part of the Bee-Line Bus System. In 1942 the company was owned by the Third Avenue Transit Corporation. The Yonkers Railroad Company continued to operate until 1953. Its routes were taken over by the Yonkers Transit Corporation. There are several badges for the company over its long history.
YONKERS TRANSIT CORPORATION The Yonkers Railroad Company was incorporated in 1896 through the consolidation of the Yonkers Railroad Company, the North and South Electric Railway, and the Yonkers and Tarrytown Electric Railroad. The Third Avenue Railway Company (TARS), operators of streetcars in Manhattan and elsewhere in the region, bought the Yonkers Railroad Company in 1898. On November 9, the streetcar era on TARS came to an end when the last route, Line 7, was shut down and converted to bus operation. The transit franchises were transferred to the new Yonkers Transit Corporation, organized by TARS general manager Samuel S. Schreiber. Liberty Lines Transit acquired Yonkers Transit Corporation in 1972 and continues to operate its routes as part of the Bee-Line Bus System. The badge is nickel-plated with two threaded posts.
YORK BUS COMPANY, INC. The following information is taken from an article published during World War Two (“The story of a dynamic community, York, Pennsylvania” published by York Chamber of Commerce, written by Betty Peckham). “[The] York Bus Company, Incorporated, successor to the York Street Railway Company, is still busy carrying thousands of workers, shoppers, school children and other passengers daily. Under wartime conditions passenger load had increased almost one hundred per cent, but a sound organization built up since the York Bus Company, Incorporated, ran its first two suburban buses to Dillsburg and Dover, in 1933, was able to meet the emergency. . . . In 1939, when trolleys were taken off the streets of York, the old employees of the company, numbering between ninety and a hundred, were retained and retrained to drive thirty-four new Twin-Coach buses. . . . On January 1, 1942, the York Bus Company, Incorporated, passed into the hands of its present owners: G. A. Stevens, president; H. L. Bollum, vice-president; Henry C. Church, Jr., vice-president; W. S. T. Hurlock, Jr., secretary; C. W. Anderson, treasurer, and Gilbert D. Schwalbach, general manager. Now, 131 employees are required to keep in operation 53 buses and one tractor-trailer. At 520 North Hartley Street, the York Bus Company, Incorporated, has its own bulk gasoline tanks, storage garage, and maintenance shops with complete facilities for motor overhaul.” In 1946 the intercity company operated 54 buses over 93 route miles. By the late 1960s the company was owned by Joseph G. Succa and operating 9 city routes and held a contract for transporting school children for the city of York. The company went out of business in the summer of 1970. The company was replaced by Reliance Motor Coach Company of Railroad, Pennsylvania, which is still in business as a school bus transportation company. There are two badges: the first is made of brass and has a single threaded post with two pin posts; the second is made of nickel-plated metal and enamel with two two threaded posts.
YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK COMPANY was running auto-buses in the mid 1920s inside Yosemite National Park. The company operated its autobuses between July 15 and September 15.
YOSEMITE PARK & CURRY COMPANY, ran in 1927 in Merced, Cal.
YOSEMITE STAGE & TURNPIKE COMPANY was operating in the mid 1920s out of Miami Lodge, California. It operated a daily automobile stage service from May 1 to October 15 between Merced , Calif., and Yosemite Valley via Wawona, Mariposa Grove of Big Trees, and Glacier Point. It was managed by E. T. Huffman.
YOSEMITE TRANSIT was operating in the mid 1920s out of Stockton, California, and served Yosemite National Park in conjunction with Yosemite Transportation System. It was managed by R. R. Young. The company’s coaches connected to the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe, the Southern Pacific, and the Western Pacific lines in Stockton and operated between June 1 through October 1.
YOSEMITE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM was operating in the mid 1920 serving Yosemite National Park. It operated in conjunction with Yosemite Transit and was managed by W. L. White. The company operated an automobile transportation service; connection with railroads a t E l Portal and Tahoe covering all points of interest reached by motor roads in Yosemite National Par k and between Yosemite Valley and Lake Tahoe via the Tioga Pass Route.
YOUNG’S RIVER FALLS STAGE was operating in 1923 from Astoria to Olney, Oregon, over a 9-mile route.
Youngstown Transit Company (OH) 1959
YUMA BUS COMPANY was not listed in the 1946-1947 Mass Transportation’s Directory, but was mentioned in an advertisement in the Yuma Sun-Advertiser for October 13, 1949. This suggests the company was founded at some point in 1948-1949. Yuma Bus Company was a privately owned company that ran 4 buses serving Yuma, Somerton and San Luis, Arizona. The company bought some used 1957 GM Old Look buses from San Diego Transit Lines in the 1960s or 1970s because one was later sold to the Niles Coach Lines, a sightseeing company in Niles, California that runs a vintage train and two vintage buses.
BUS COMPANIES BEGINNING WITH THE LETTER “Z”
Z. & M. COACH CORPORATION, or Z. & M. COACH COMPANY, INC. Both names are used in different publications. Information about this company is quoted from the STATE OF NEW YORK DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SERVICE METROPOLITAN DIVISION TRANSIT COMMISSION FOURTEENTH ANNUAL REPORT For the Calendar Year 1934: “Z. & M. COACH COMPANY, INC. Incorporated August 19, 1926. Effective December 30, 1932, the Company obtained a Franchise Contract for one year from the City of New York for Route Q-27, Flushing-Rosewood, Queens, 4.5 miles. “A Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity for the duration of the franchise was granted by the Transit Commission and became effective May 2, 1933. Rolling Stock. — Company reports 27 passenger buses available for service at June 30, 1934, of which 25 were held under complete title and 2 under conditional sales agreement; aggregate seating capacity, 800. Company also reports 3 service cars owned and available for service.“
The company was still in business in 1939, but was not listed in the 1940 MTD. I did find this interesting newspaper snippet from October 7, 1936: “One woman is dead, three are critically injured and two drivers are under arrest today as the result of a collision between a bus and an automobile, homeward bound from a funeral last night in Bayside, Queens. Mrs. Ida Bowman, 78, of 245 Beverly Road, Douglaston, Queens, was instantly killed when she was hurled from the auto driven by her son, F. Willard Bowman. The two vehicles collided at Horace Harding Boulevard and Hollis Court Boulevard, but police offered no explanation of the cause of the accident after a preliminary investigation. The injured women, all passengers in Bowman’s car, were Mrs. Dorothy Bowman, 51, the dead woman’s daughter-in-law, who received a possible skull fracture; Mrs. Harriet Montague, 65, of Webster Hotel, Manhattan, and Mrs. Wilma Firth of Philadelphia, both of whom suffered severe head injuries. All are in Queens General Hospital. Bowman and Lincoln Hohweizer, driver of the bus, which was owned by the Z. & M. Coach Corporation, were arrested by detectives of the Bayside precinct and charged with automobile homicide. An additional complaint of passing a red light was lodged against Bowman.” The badge is made of nickel, measures 2″ and has a single threaded post and a pin post. No maker’s mark.
ZAHNER STAGE LINE was operating in the San Francisco Bay, California, area in 1922.
ZANE TRANSIT LINES, INC. / OHIO TRAILWAYS, INC. According to one source, this company was incorporated in the 1920s. It was a member of the Ohio Motor Bus Association in the 1920s and 1930s and operated between Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Coshocton, Zanesville, Lancaster, Athens and Marietta, Ohio. In the 1930s the company was headquartered in Zanesville with C. M. Wilson as manager. (Members of the Wilson family continued to operate the company on into the 1970s.) In 1954 the company bought out the Glouster-Athens Auto Bus Company, and joined the National Trailways Bus System in 1956 and was renamed Ohio Trailways, Inc. According to Ohio state records, the company’s certificate of operation was revoked in early 1973 and it was out of business in 1974. The assets were sold in 1976 to Garfield Heights Coach Line.
ZANETTI BUS LINES was in business in Rock Springs, WY, back in the 1950s and 1960s. The badge measures 2⅝” x 2⅜” and has two threaded posts.
ZELLA-LORAN BUS LINE ran in 1931 in Gentryville, Indiana. No further information.
ZENIA-FORT SEWARD AUTO LINE was operating out of Fort Seward, California, in the mid 1920s. Ernest E. Kniss was the registered contact.
ZEPHYR LINES / ZEPHYR LINES, INC. This company was running in the 1930s operating as an interstate service based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. (It is featured in the 1939 Russell’s Guide.) Information from the 1946 Mass Transportation’s Directory: Zephyr Lines 1205 Hawthorne Ave, Minneapolis, Minn. An intercity bus line serving Minneapolis, St. Paul, Stillwater, Somerset, New Richmond, Cumberland, Spooner, Hayward, Ashland. Ran 5 buses over 207 route miles. O. M. Rosvold was the general manager. Info from the 1956 MTD: the company was incorporated as Zephyr Lines, Inc. and was running 11 buses over 476 route miles. The company is mentioned in a February 17, 1960, newspaper story, when it applied to the Wisconsin Public Service Commission for a fare increase: “Bus Line Granted Fare Increase MADISON (AP) The State Public Service Commission Tuesday granted a six per rent fare increase to the Wisconsin division of Zephyr Lines Inc., a bus line operating between Minneapolis and Ironwood, Mich. The main Wisconsin points served by the line are New Richmond, Spooner, Ashland and Hurley. The order establishes a 40 cent minimum fare. Zephyr Lines has a similar request pending with the Minnesota Railroad and Warehouse Commission. The PSC granted the fare boost because Zephyr operating reports show ‘a continuing decline in passenger riding.’” According to one source the company closed down in 1993. The badge shown below is made of nickel-plated brass and has one threaded post.
Copyright © 2020 TRANSITBADGES.COM. All Rights Reserved. You may freely quote from this page with the proviso that TRANSITBADGES.COM is credited.